ALERT: Verizon Wireless plans do NOT feature "Nights Start..

Where have you been????

"Roger" <roger@no_thanks.com> wrote in message

> Verizon Wireless "nights start at 9pm".

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Haven't been looking into Verizon Wireless that's for sure.
And, no mistake either ... 9pm nights ... yeah, right !!!

In article <CMA9d.1027$6q2.905@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
"Roger" <roger@no_thanks.com> wrote:

> Haven't been looking into Verizon Wireless that's for sure.

If you haven't been looking into Verizon Wireless, how do you know that
nights start at 9 PM?

> And, no mistake either ... 9pm nights ... yeah, right !!!

But why "alert" us to something that is well known? BTW, my nights
start at 8 PM.

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.

Michelle Steiner wrote:
> But why "alert" us to something that is well known? BTW, my nights
> start at 8 PM.

But Verizon doesn't currently offer 8 PM nights. You must be on a grandfathered
plan.

Michelle Steiner wrote:

> And I'm in a small quandary right now. My plan covers 12 western
> states, with no roaming charges in any of them. I've not traveled
> outside of those dozen states since May 2000. However, in about a
> month and a half, I'll be visiting Florida for a week.

Consider this:

FREE-UP (or whatever they call the pre-paid plans now). I did this
a couple of years ago for a vacation to the East coast while preserving
my promotional Local Digital Choice. Back then (and I don't think it's
changed much) I got the initial 100min card for $30 with a first time
additional 100 min. card. No activation fee since I already had a
post paid plan and was using my existing phone. The TM-510 I
was using at the time supported dual NAMs so I simply programmed
NAM2 for the FREE-UP number and left NAM1 alone. Even if your
phone doesn't support dual NAMs you could have it programmed for
the FREE-UP number just before you leave and switched back upon
your return. Worth looking into if your grandfathered plan is worth
keeping.

-Quick

In article <1097274710.728439@sj-nntpcache-3>,
"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

> FREE-UP (or whatever they call the pre-paid plans now). I did this a
> couple of years ago for a vacation to the East coast while preserving
> my promotional Local Digital Choice. Back then (and I don't think
> it's changed much) I got the initial 100min card for $30 with a first
> time additional 100 min. card. No activation fee since I already
> had a post paid plan and was using my existing phone.

Thanks. I didn't realize that I could use the same phone for a second
plan. I'll definitely look into that option.

--

Michelle Steiner wrote:
> In article <1097274710.728439@sj-nntpcache-3>,
> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> FREE-UP (or whatever they call the pre-paid plans now). I did this a
>> couple of years ago for a vacation to the East coast while preserving
>> my promotional Local Digital Choice. Back then (and I don't think
>> it's changed much) I got the initial 100min card for $30 with a first
>> time additional 100 min. card. No activation fee since I already
>> had a post paid plan and was using my existing phone.
>
> Thanks. I didn't realize that I could use the same phone for a second
> plan. I'll definitely look into that option.

You won't be able to use the same phone on both plans concurrently.
Meaning that the phone will be active on one plan or the other but not
both at the same time.

With dual NAMs it a matter of switching from one NAM to another
on the phone, the phone resets, and you are active on the other number.

With a single NAM phone it would be the same as an ESN change.
You may want to discuss that with a technical support person. You
might have to call them to deactivate the ESN on one plan before you
activate it on another. It's also possible that you may have to program
the phone number when you switch it over.

Of course if you don't have to switch it on the road it would only involve
one trip to a company store before you leave and another upon return.

It's going to be way less expensive than roaming charges. When I
did it it was:

Roaming ($.69/min)
FREE-UP peak ($.30/min)
FREE-UP off pk ($.15/min)

Keep in mind there are a couple of "surprises" with FREE-UP that
weren't an issue for me. They charge you minutes when someone
*leaves* you voice mail and then again when you retrieve it. Of
course most people will have your regular number.

It would probably be interesting to many if you post what you
find out.

-Quick

Quick wrote:
> It's going to be way less expensive than roaming charges. When I
> did it it was:
>
> Roaming ($.69/min)
> FREE-UP peak ($.30/min)
> FREE-UP off pk ($.15/min)

Actually it was 1/2 that because, *at the time*, when you signed
up you got a second card equal to the initial one you bought.
Sign up for FREE-UP with a $30 card and get a $30 card free.

-Quick

In article <1097282804.871196@sj-nntpcache-3>,
"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

> > Thanks. I didn't realize that I could use the same phone for a
> > second plan. I'll definitely look into that option.
>
> You won't be able to use the same phone on both plans concurrently.
> Meaning that the phone will be active on one plan or the other but
> not both at the same time.

I understood that.

> It would probably be interesting to many if you post what you
> find out.

If I go that route, that's what I'll do.

--

"Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message
> In article <CMA9d.1027$6q2.905@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
> "Roger" <roger@no_thanks.com> wrote:
>
> > Haven't been looking into Verizon Wireless that's for sure.
>
> If you haven't been looking into Verizon Wireless, how do you know that
> nights start at 9 PM?

I just found out today. I started looking into Verizon Wireless yesterday.

> > And, no mistake either ... 9pm nights ... yeah, right !!!
>
> But why "alert" us to something that is well known? BTW, my nights
> start at 8 PM.

How long ago did you sign up?

> > "Bruce D. Brown" <bdbrown@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > Where have you been????
> > >
> > > "Roger" <roger@no_thanks.com> wrote in message

> --
> Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message
> In article <CMA9d.1027$6q2.905@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
> "Roger" <roger@no_thanks.com> wrote:
>
> > Haven't been looking into Verizon Wireless that's for sure.
>
> If you haven't been looking into Verizon Wireless, how do you know that
> nights start at 9 PM?
>
> > And, no mistake either ... 9pm nights ... yeah, right !!!
>
> But why "alert" us to something that is well known? BTW, my nights
> start at 8 PM.

It's more of a complaint than an alert.

In article <BeB9d.1036$6q2.468@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
"Roger" <roger@no_thanks.com> wrote:

> > > Haven't been looking into Verizon Wireless that's for sure.
> >
> > If you haven't been looking into Verizon Wireless, how do you know
> > that nights start at 9 PM?
> >
> > > And, no mistake either ... 9pm nights ... yeah, right !!!
> >
> > But why "alert" us to something that is well known? BTW, my nights
> > start at 8 PM.
>
> It's more of a complaint than an alert.

The subject says that it is an alert.

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.

Even funnier when you consider that NOBODY has PLANS that start at 7.. you
have to pay extra for the OPTION to a plan to get 7pm starts with a certain
unnamed carried

Peter Pan wrote:
> Even funnier when you consider that NOBODY has PLANS that start at 7.. you
> have to pay extra for the OPTION to a plan to get 7pm starts with a certain
> unnamed carried

I'll name 'em. Sprint and Cingular. :) (Don't know about AT&T.)

Read the fine print.. From the sprint website:
Night & Weekend Minutes are included in most Sprint PCS Service Plans.
Night & Weekend Minutes are used from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m., Monday through
Friday and all day on Saturday
and Sunday.

And from the Cingular website:
Off-Peak: From 9:00 p.m. to 6:59 a.m. Monday - Thursday, and from 9:00 p.m.
Friday to 6:59 a.m. Monday

Sure looks like 9 PM starts for BOTH Sprint and Cingular... :)

Like I said, NOBODY has PLANS that have nights starting at 7.

So my "unnamed carriers" still stay unnamed.... :)

> Peter Pan wrote:
>> Even funnier when you consider that NOBODY has PLANS that start at 7..
>> you have to pay extra for the OPTION to a plan to get 7pm starts with a
>> certain unnamed carried
>
> I'll name 'em. Sprint and Cingular. :) (Don't know about AT&T.)
>
> --
> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
> sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

In article <ck6p10$elu$3@ratbert.glorb.com>,
Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

> Peter Pan wrote:
> > Even funnier when you consider that NOBODY has PLANS that start at 7.. you
> > have to pay extra for the OPTION to a plan to get 7pm starts with a certain
> > unnamed carried
>
> I'll name 'em. Sprint and Cingular. :) (Don't know about AT&T.)

AT&T plans that are $59.95 and higher automatically have 7pm nights.

It's true that you pay an additional amount for Cingular to have 7pm
nights. I don't know about Sprint.

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 12:56:39 -0700, "Peter Pan"
<Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>Read the fine print.. From the sprint website:
>Night & Weekend Minutes are included in most Sprint PCS Service Plans.
>Night & Weekend Minutes are used from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m., Monday through
>Friday and all day on Saturday
>and Sunday.
>
>And from the Cingular website:
>Off-Peak: From 9:00 p.m. to 6:59 a.m. Monday - Thursday, and from 9:00 p.m.
>Friday to 6:59 a.m. Monday
>
>Sure looks like 9 PM starts for BOTH Sprint and Cingular... :)
>
>Like I said, NOBODY has PLANS that have nights starting at 7.
>
>So my "unnamed carriers" still stay unnamed.... :)

Sprint has two plans that charge extra for the 7PM option, 5 bux a
month and the other 10 bux a month.

>"Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
>> Peter Pan wrote:
>>> Even funnier when you consider that NOBODY has PLANS that start at 7..
>>> you have to pay extra for the OPTION to a plan to get 7pm starts with a
>>> certain unnamed carried
>>
>> I'll name 'em. Sprint and Cingular. :) (Don't know about AT&T.)
>>
>> --
>> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
>> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
>> sjsobol@JustThe.net
>> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
>> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Not recent plans. That's why it's not worth it to switch if
you have an older plan that does feature 7pm nights.

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Even funnier when you consider that NOBODY has PLANS that start at 7.. you
> have to pay extra for the OPTION to a plan to get 7pm starts with a certain
> unnamed carried
>

> "Roger" <roger@no_thanks.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message

> >> If you haven't been looking into Verizon Wireless, how do you know that
> >> nights start at 9 PM?

> >> But why "alert" us to something that is well known? BTW, my nights
> >> start at 8 PM.
> >
> > It's more of a complaint than an alert.

> >> --
> >> Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.

"Roger" <roger@no_thanks.com> wrote in message

> Verizon Wireless "nights start at 9pm".

How incredibly observant of you! You also might be surprised to know if you
go over your monthly allowance, they'll charge you extra and that long
distance calls to Australia the Middle East are not included in your rate
plan...

Edw.

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm well aware of what my current plan features.

"Special Ed" <chasham97NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Roger" <roger@no_thanks.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Verizon Wireless "nights start at 9pm".
>
> How incredibly observant of you! You also might be surprised to know if you
> go over your monthly allowance, they'll charge you extra and that long
> distance calls to Australia the Middle East are not included in your rate
> plan...
>
> Edw.

Nice aspect of the 1000 (Anytime) Local Digital plan is that 9:00pm cut-off
does not apply.
--

-Philip

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 18:04:22 GMT, "Roger" <roger@no_thanks.com> wrote:

>Verizon Wireless "nights start at 9pm".

Actually, you are incorrect. They start at 9:01 PM

Quick wrote:

> With a single NAM phone it would be the same as an ESN change.
> You may want to discuss that with a technical support person. You
> might have to call them to deactivate the ESN on one plan before you
> activate it on another. It's also possible that you may have to program
> the phone number when you switch it over.

You should be able to do an ESN swap online and then do a *228 option 1 to
reprogram your phone.

In article <michelle-C1A620.14484708102004@news.west.cox.net>,
Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

> However, in about a month
> and a half, I'll be visiting Florida for a week.

If you are going on vacation, I'd suggest you leave your phone at home.
What do you need it for?