Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

new sprint add

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 7:18:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I get a real kick out of the ads that these providers come up with.

This last Sprint ad is showing how they are so kind in helping to
overcome overcalls payment by giving you an extra 100 minutes for 10
bux. This is a great deal, they say, when compared to overcalls
minutes from other carriers can be upto 40 bux for those 100 minutes.

I have VZW and made sure I don't go over by doubling my minutes, from
400 to 800 for 20 bux. So I guess I can say that I got 400 minutes for
20 bux in my own ad :)  If I used Sprints formula to overcome overcall
minutes those 400 minutes would cost me 40 bux, 10 bux for each 100.

Luvs it.

More about : sprint add

Anonymous
October 8, 2004 11:22:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

but you have to pay 20x12=$240. in the sprint plan you have pay $10 only
if and when you exceed your plan limits. so sprint is cheaper if you
don't always exceed your plan minutes.

bp

forked <replyingroup@invalid.com> wrote in
news:7lpdm0pc8teft1l7ia040h2kc1m02lf8l0@4ax.com:

> I get a real kick out of the ads that these providers come up with.
>
> This last Sprint ad is showing how they are so kind in helping to
> overcome overcalls payment by giving you an extra 100 minutes for 10
> bux. This is a great deal, they say, when compared to overcalls
> minutes from other carriers can be upto 40 bux for those 100 minutes.
>
> I have VZW and made sure I don't go over by doubling my minutes, from
> 400 to 800 for 20 bux. So I guess I can say that I got 400 minutes for
> 20 bux in my own ad :)  If I used Sprints formula to overcome overcall
> minutes those 400 minutes would cost me 40 bux, 10 bux for each 100.
>
> Luvs it.
>
>
>
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 11:22:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 19:22:34 GMT, bpuli <bpuli@here.com> wrote:

>but you have to pay 20x12=$240. in the sprint plan you have pay $10 only
>if and when you exceed your plan limits. so sprint is cheaper if you
>don't always exceed your plan minutes.
>
>bp

By doubling my minutes for a flat amount of 20 bux solves my problem
which is peace of mind, not checking all the time to see if I am going
over. To me it's well worth the 20 bux for that.

My choice of VZW is based on my amount of traveling. Just put up the
coverage maps from other carriers against VZ's and you see that if you
travel, especially on land, nobody comes close VZW's coverage.

Talking about coverage. Isn't it true that other carriers, not VZ, do
not include free long distance unless the call originates from your
home plan area. On VZW long distance is free in any direction as long
as you are on the VZW "network" not home area only.

Another thing, from another thread here, is that you do pay extra for
the 7PM minutes. Depending on the plan, choice of 2, it is either 10
or 5 bux extra for that.


>forked <replyingroup@invalid.com> wrote in
>news:7lpdm0pc8teft1l7ia040h2kc1m02lf8l0@4ax.com:
>
>> I get a real kick out of the ads that these providers come up with.
>>
>> This last Sprint ad is showing how they are so kind in helping to
>> overcome overcalls payment by giving you an extra 100 minutes for 10
>> bux. This is a great deal, they say, when compared to overcalls
>> minutes from other carriers can be upto 40 bux for those 100 minutes.
>>
>> I have VZW and made sure I don't go over by doubling my minutes, from
>> 400 to 800 for 20 bux. So I guess I can say that I got 400 minutes for
>> 20 bux in my own ad :)  If I used Sprints formula to overcome overcall
>> minutes those 400 minutes would cost me 40 bux, 10 bux for each 100.
>>
>> Luvs it.
>>
>>
>>
Related resources
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 11:22:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

SPCS newsgroup added.

bpuli wrote:
> but you have to pay 20x12=$240. in the sprint plan you have pay $10 only
> if and when you exceed your plan limits. so sprint is cheaper if you
> don't always exceed your plan minutes.

No.

#1, I just switched to the newly-launched Fair and Flexible plan, and #2, I'm
now working for a company that resells Sprint and at orientation last week our
Sprint rep explained this plan in detail. So I know what I'm talking about. :) 

BTW, Sprint launched Fair and Flexible a month or two ago, but this appears to
be a relaunch - the plans aren't exactly the same. Here's how the new F&F works.

They have two tiers. One starts at, IIRC, $35 for 300 minutes. The other one
starts at $50 for 700 minutes. On the lower plan, if you go over, your minute
allotment is bumped up. You get additional minutes for $10/100 minutes or ten
cents per minute. On the higher plan, it's $5/100 or 5 cents per minute.

I forget how many minutes you can get this way on the lower tier, but on the
higher tier you can go up to 2000 minutes and then they simply bill you
5c/minute for overages.

I just switched from the $50/700 Free & Clear plan to $50/700 Free & Flexible.
On the F&C plan I'd pay 40 cents per minute if I go over, period. On this plan
I only pay 5 cents per minute. Yes, if I use two minutes I get bumped up 100
and get charged $5. On the other hand, on F&C I would get charged at least $5
extra anyhow, if I went over by 13 minutes or more.

I think the new F&F plans are better than the ones they originally introduced
(were they introduced nationwide? I don't know - haven't travelled outside
SoCal in the past couple months).

You can also get Fair and Flexible America for $5/month extra (difference: no
roaming or long distance charges anywhere in the US, whereas if you roam off
Sprint's network and don't have this plan it's 69c/minute) and you can get
nights and weekends starting at 7pm for $5/month.

>>I have VZW and made sure I don't go over by doubling my minutes, from
>>400 to 800 for 20 bux. So I guess I can say that I got 400 minutes for
>>20 bux in my own ad :)  If I used Sprints formula to overcome overcall
>>minutes those 400 minutes would cost me 40 bux, 10 bux for each 100.

uhhh, yeah, and if you went over 400 minutes on a traditional plan, it would
cost you at minimum 100 dollars on the lower-cost Verizon plan, and that's if
you only get charged 25c/minute for overages -- it could be more.

As has been discussed in the SPCS newsgroup, Fair & Flexible isn't for people
who consistently use more minutes than they've purchased, it's for people who
OCCASIONALLY use more minutes than they've purchased. People who are paying for
X minutes and always using, say, X+200 minutes need to switch to a plan with
more minutes. Personally, I'm always right up close to the 700 minutes I pay
for every month and this way I know exactly what I'm paying if I go over.

--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 7:30:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

If somebody is checking all the time to see if they are going
over, then they are on too small of a plan. My only check is when I get
my bill. If I ever go over, and I think that was only once in my many
years when Ameriwreck had it's problems and my service was out almost a
month, I would either call to get a larger plan or just be more
disciplined in using fewer minutes in the future.
Depends on where you are traveling. There are whole states and
large parts of states, where verizon's network is not the largest.


forked wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 19:22:34 GMT, bpuli <bpuli@here.com> wrote:
>
>
>>but you have to pay 20x12=$240. in the sprint plan you have pay $10 only
>>if and when you exceed your plan limits. so sprint is cheaper if you
>>don't always exceed your plan minutes.
>>
>>bp
>
>
> By doubling my minutes for a flat amount of 20 bux solves my problem
> which is peace of mind, not checking all the time to see if I am going
> over. To me it's well worth the 20 bux for that.
>
> My choice of VZW is based on my amount of traveling. Just put up the
> coverage maps from other carriers against VZ's and you see that if you
> travel, especially on land, nobody comes close VZW's coverage.
>
> Talking about coverage. Isn't it true that other carriers, not VZ, do
> not include free long distance unless the call originates from your
> home plan area. On VZW long distance is free in any direction as long
> as you are on the VZW "network" not home area only.
>
> Another thing, from another thread here, is that you do pay extra for
> the 7PM minutes. Depending on the plan, choice of 2, it is either 10
> or 5 bux extra for that.
>
>
>
>>forked <replyingroup@invalid.com> wrote in
>>news:7lpdm0pc8teft1l7ia040h2kc1m02lf8l0@4ax.com:
>>
>>
>>>I get a real kick out of the ads that these providers come up with.
>>>
>>>This last Sprint ad is showing how they are so kind in helping to
>>>overcome overcalls payment by giving you an extra 100 minutes for 10
>>>bux. This is a great deal, they say, when compared to overcalls
>>>minutes from other carriers can be upto 40 bux for those 100 minutes.
>>>
>>>I have VZW and made sure I don't go over by doubling my minutes, from
>>>400 to 800 for 20 bux. So I guess I can say that I got 400 minutes for
>>>20 bux in my own ad :)  If I used Sprints formula to overcome overcall
>>>minutes those 400 minutes would cost me 40 bux, 10 bux for each 100.
>>>
>>>Luvs it.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>
>
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 8:33:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Sprint's web site for southern CA zip codes, you'd be paying a LOT more
for the same number of minutes, depending upon your plan. I have (for a few
more days) an AT&T Local Digital Advantage plan that was $49.99 for 800
minutes and I raised that a month ago to $69.99 for 1000 minutes.

My new $59.99 Verizon America's Choice plan gives me 800 minutes.

For the same $50 on Sprint Fair and Flexible, I would get 450 minutes, for
the same $60 I would get 550 minutes, and for the same $70 on Sprint, I
would get 650 minutes.

Not very fair or flexible in my book! And, yes, I do hit my limits,
sometimes exactly. I rarely miss by more than an hour. On the $50 plan, I'd
have to not use 350 minutes to equal Sprint's "deal" and even more on the
other plans.

Let's not even mention superior coverage by Verizon, though Sprint is great
locally in the OC.

Gregg Hill


"Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
news:ck6ssj$fmo$1@ratbert.glorb.com...
> SPCS newsgroup added.
>
> bpuli wrote:
>> but you have to pay 20x12=$240. in the sprint plan you have pay $10 only
>> if and when you exceed your plan limits. so sprint is cheaper if you
>> don't always exceed your plan minutes.
>
> No.
>
> #1, I just switched to the newly-launched Fair and Flexible plan, and #2,
> I'm now working for a company that resells Sprint and at orientation last
> week our Sprint rep explained this plan in detail. So I know what I'm
> talking about. :) 
>
> BTW, Sprint launched Fair and Flexible a month or two ago, but this
> appears to be a relaunch - the plans aren't exactly the same. Here's how
> the new F&F works.
>
> They have two tiers. One starts at, IIRC, $35 for 300 minutes. The other
> one starts at $50 for 700 minutes. On the lower plan, if you go over, your
> minute allotment is bumped up. You get additional minutes for $10/100
> minutes or ten cents per minute. On the higher plan, it's $5/100 or 5
> cents per minute.
>
> I forget how many minutes you can get this way on the lower tier, but on
> the higher tier you can go up to 2000 minutes and then they simply bill
> you 5c/minute for overages.
>
> I just switched from the $50/700 Free & Clear plan to $50/700 Free &
> Flexible. On the F&C plan I'd pay 40 cents per minute if I go over,
> period. On this plan I only pay 5 cents per minute. Yes, if I use two
> minutes I get bumped up 100 and get charged $5. On the other hand, on F&C
> I would get charged at least $5 extra anyhow, if I went over by 13 minutes
> or more.
>
> I think the new F&F plans are better than the ones they originally
> introduced (were they introduced nationwide? I don't know - haven't
> travelled outside SoCal in the past couple months).
>
> You can also get Fair and Flexible America for $5/month extra (difference:
> no roaming or long distance charges anywhere in the US, whereas if you
> roam off Sprint's network and don't have this plan it's 69c/minute) and
> you can get nights and weekends starting at 7pm for $5/month.
>
>>>I have VZW and made sure I don't go over by doubling my minutes, from
>>>400 to 800 for 20 bux. So I guess I can say that I got 400 minutes for
>>>20 bux in my own ad :)  If I used Sprints formula to overcome overcall
>>>minutes those 400 minutes would cost me 40 bux, 10 bux for each 100.
>
> uhhh, yeah, and if you went over 400 minutes on a traditional plan, it
> would cost you at minimum 100 dollars on the lower-cost Verizon plan, and
> that's if you only get charged 25c/minute for overages -- it could be
> more.
>
> As has been discussed in the SPCS newsgroup, Fair & Flexible isn't for
> people who consistently use more minutes than they've purchased, it's for
> people who OCCASIONALLY use more minutes than they've purchased. People
> who are paying for X minutes and always using, say, X+200 minutes need to
> switch to a plan with more minutes. Personally, I'm always right up close
> to the 700 minutes I pay for every month and this way I know exactly what
> I'm paying if I go over.
>
> --
> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
> sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 8:33:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Gregg Hill wrote:

> For the same $50 on Sprint Fair and Flexible, I would get 450 minutes, for
> the same $60 I would get 550 minutes, and for the same $70 on Sprint, I
> would get 650 minutes.

This is a new Fair and Flexible plan. I forget which day we were indoctrinated
by the Sprint rep, but she said it was to launch last week. Under that plan,
700 minutes is $50/month just like it is on my old F&C plan.

Does the website not reflect the new pricing? (If not, I'm going to have to
call the rep and have her bitchslap someone) :p 

--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 1:17:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

forked answered:

> On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 19:22:34 GMT, bpuli <bpuli@here.com> wrote:
>
>
>>but you have to pay 20x12=$240. in the sprint plan you have pay $10 only
>>if and when you exceed your plan limits. so sprint is cheaper if you
>>don't always exceed your plan minutes.
>>
>>bp
>
>
> By doubling my minutes for a flat amount of 20 bux solves my problem
> which is peace of mind, not checking all the time to see if I am going
> over. To me it's well worth the 20 bux for that.
>
> My choice of VZW is based on my amount of traveling. Just put up the
> coverage maps from other carriers against VZ's and you see that if you
> travel, especially on land, nobody comes close VZW's coverage.
>
> Talking about coverage. Isn't it true that other carriers, not VZ, do
> not include free long distance unless the call originates from your
> home plan area. On VZW long distance is free in any direction as long
> as you are on the VZW "network" not home area only.

Um... NO. I get free LD anywhere that I am on Sprints network.

I'm based in the seattle area, But have traveled to Reno, Las vegas,
Florida, Montana, North Carolina etc..and have never been charged LD.
OR Roaming.
>
> Another thing, from another thread here, is that you do pay extra for
> the 7PM minutes. Depending on the plan, choice of 2, it is either 10
> or 5 bux extra for that.

again.. um.. NO. Last time I negotiated my retention plan, I got 7:00pm
Nights added at NO charge.
I'm now off contract, STILL have it, and NO additional charge.

Michael
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 6:04:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

The whole point is the Flexible part. It is for those who only
occasionally have to Flex to the higher minute levels. If you are not
occasionally Flexing up to the 800 minute level, but are constantly at
that level then Fair & Flexible is not for you. And in WI, I believe
MN, and other states, verizon's coverage is not superior.

Gregg Hill wrote:
> On Sprint's web site for southern CA zip codes, you'd be paying a LOT more
> for the same number of minutes, depending upon your plan. I have (for a few
> more days) an AT&T Local Digital Advantage plan that was $49.99 for 800
> minutes and I raised that a month ago to $69.99 for 1000 minutes.
>
> My new $59.99 Verizon America's Choice plan gives me 800 minutes.
>
> For the same $50 on Sprint Fair and Flexible, I would get 450 minutes, for
> the same $60 I would get 550 minutes, and for the same $70 on Sprint, I
> would get 650 minutes.
>
> Not very fair or flexible in my book! And, yes, I do hit my limits,
> sometimes exactly. I rarely miss by more than an hour. On the $50 plan, I'd
> have to not use 350 minutes to equal Sprint's "deal" and even more on the
> other plans.
>
> Let's not even mention superior coverage by Verizon, though Sprint is great
> locally in the OC.
>
> Gregg Hill
>
>
> "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
> news:ck6ssj$fmo$1@ratbert.glorb.com...
>
>>SPCS newsgroup added.
>>
>>bpuli wrote:
>>
>>>but you have to pay 20x12=$240. in the sprint plan you have pay $10 only
>>>if and when you exceed your plan limits. so sprint is cheaper if you
>>>don't always exceed your plan minutes.
>>
>>No.
>>
>>#1, I just switched to the newly-launched Fair and Flexible plan, and #2,
>>I'm now working for a company that resells Sprint and at orientation last
>>week our Sprint rep explained this plan in detail. So I know what I'm
>>talking about. :) 
>>
>>BTW, Sprint launched Fair and Flexible a month or two ago, but this
>>appears to be a relaunch - the plans aren't exactly the same. Here's how
>>the new F&F works.
>>
>>They have two tiers. One starts at, IIRC, $35 for 300 minutes. The other
>>one starts at $50 for 700 minutes. On the lower plan, if you go over, your
>>minute allotment is bumped up. You get additional minutes for $10/100
>>minutes or ten cents per minute. On the higher plan, it's $5/100 or 5
>>cents per minute.
>>
>>I forget how many minutes you can get this way on the lower tier, but on
>>the higher tier you can go up to 2000 minutes and then they simply bill
>>you 5c/minute for overages.
>>
>>I just switched from the $50/700 Free & Clear plan to $50/700 Free &
>>Flexible. On the F&C plan I'd pay 40 cents per minute if I go over,
>>period. On this plan I only pay 5 cents per minute. Yes, if I use two
>>minutes I get bumped up 100 and get charged $5. On the other hand, on F&C
>>I would get charged at least $5 extra anyhow, if I went over by 13 minutes
>>or more.
>>
>>I think the new F&F plans are better than the ones they originally
>>introduced (were they introduced nationwide? I don't know - haven't
>>travelled outside SoCal in the past couple months).
>>
>>You can also get Fair and Flexible America for $5/month extra (difference:
>>no roaming or long distance charges anywhere in the US, whereas if you
>>roam off Sprint's network and don't have this plan it's 69c/minute) and
>>you can get nights and weekends starting at 7pm for $5/month.
>>
>>
>>>>I have VZW and made sure I don't go over by doubling my minutes, from
>>>>400 to 800 for 20 bux. So I guess I can say that I got 400 minutes for
>>>>20 bux in my own ad :)  If I used Sprints formula to overcome overcall
>>>>minutes those 400 minutes would cost me 40 bux, 10 bux for each 100.
>>
>>uhhh, yeah, and if you went over 400 minutes on a traditional plan, it
>>would cost you at minimum 100 dollars on the lower-cost Verizon plan, and
>>that's if you only get charged 25c/minute for overages -- it could be
>>more.
>>
>>As has been discussed in the SPCS newsgroup, Fair & Flexible isn't for
>>people who consistently use more minutes than they've purchased, it's for
>>people who OCCASIONALLY use more minutes than they've purchased. People
>>who are paying for X minutes and always using, say, X+200 minutes need to
>>switch to a plan with more minutes. Personally, I'm always right up close
>>to the 700 minutes I pay for every month and this way I know exactly what
>>I'm paying if I go over.
>>
>>--
>>JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
>>Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
>>sjsobol@JustThe.net
>>PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
>>Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
>
>
>
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 5:41:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Have to disagree, the new Tier 2 plan works good even if you do go over the
700 minutes. Take a good look, even if you use 2000 min, it cost the same
as a 2000 min plan, $110 with no roaming, and at that point, overages are
only 5 cents/min, not 40!!!
"Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:SSJ9d.2808$nl4.139@twister.socal.rr.com...
> On Sprint's web site for southern CA zip codes, you'd be paying a LOT more
> for the same number of minutes, depending upon your plan. I have (for a
> few more days) an AT&T Local Digital Advantage plan that was $49.99 for
> 800 minutes and I raised that a month ago to $69.99 for 1000 minutes.
>
> My new $59.99 Verizon America's Choice plan gives me 800 minutes.
>
> For the same $50 on Sprint Fair and Flexible, I would get 450 minutes, for
> the same $60 I would get 550 minutes, and for the same $70 on Sprint, I
> would get 650 minutes.
>
> Not very fair or flexible in my book! And, yes, I do hit my limits,
> sometimes exactly. I rarely miss by more than an hour. On the $50 plan,
> I'd have to not use 350 minutes to equal Sprint's "deal" and even more on
> the other plans.
>
> Let's not even mention superior coverage by Verizon, though Sprint is
> great locally in the OC.
>
> Gregg Hill
>
>
> "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
> news:ck6ssj$fmo$1@ratbert.glorb.com...
>> SPCS newsgroup added.
>>
>> bpuli wrote:
>>> but you have to pay 20x12=$240. in the sprint plan you have pay $10 only
>>> if and when you exceed your plan limits. so sprint is cheaper if you
>>> don't always exceed your plan minutes.
>>
>> No.
>>
>> #1, I just switched to the newly-launched Fair and Flexible plan, and #2,
>> I'm now working for a company that resells Sprint and at orientation last
>> week our Sprint rep explained this plan in detail. So I know what I'm
>> talking about. :) 
>>
>> BTW, Sprint launched Fair and Flexible a month or two ago, but this
>> appears to be a relaunch - the plans aren't exactly the same. Here's how
>> the new F&F works.
>>
>> They have two tiers. One starts at, IIRC, $35 for 300 minutes. The other
>> one starts at $50 for 700 minutes. On the lower plan, if you go over,
>> your minute allotment is bumped up. You get additional minutes for
>> $10/100 minutes or ten cents per minute. On the higher plan, it's $5/100
>> or 5 cents per minute.
>>
>> I forget how many minutes you can get this way on the lower tier, but on
>> the higher tier you can go up to 2000 minutes and then they simply bill
>> you 5c/minute for overages.
>>
>> I just switched from the $50/700 Free & Clear plan to $50/700 Free &
>> Flexible. On the F&C plan I'd pay 40 cents per minute if I go over,
>> period. On this plan I only pay 5 cents per minute. Yes, if I use two
>> minutes I get bumped up 100 and get charged $5. On the other hand, on F&C
>> I would get charged at least $5 extra anyhow, if I went over by 13
>> minutes or more.
>>
>> I think the new F&F plans are better than the ones they originally
>> introduced (were they introduced nationwide? I don't know - haven't
>> travelled outside SoCal in the past couple months).
>>
>> You can also get Fair and Flexible America for $5/month extra
>> (difference: no roaming or long distance charges anywhere in the US,
>> whereas if you roam off Sprint's network and don't have this plan it's
>> 69c/minute) and you can get nights and weekends starting at 7pm for
>> $5/month.
>>
>>>>I have VZW and made sure I don't go over by doubling my minutes, from
>>>>400 to 800 for 20 bux. So I guess I can say that I got 400 minutes for
>>>>20 bux in my own ad :)  If I used Sprints formula to overcome overcall
>>>>minutes those 400 minutes would cost me 40 bux, 10 bux for each 100.
>>
>> uhhh, yeah, and if you went over 400 minutes on a traditional plan, it
>> would cost you at minimum 100 dollars on the lower-cost Verizon plan, and
>> that's if you only get charged 25c/minute for overages -- it could be
>> more.
>>
>> As has been discussed in the SPCS newsgroup, Fair & Flexible isn't for
>> people who consistently use more minutes than they've purchased, it's for
>> people who OCCASIONALLY use more minutes than they've purchased. People
>> who are paying for X minutes and always using, say, X+200 minutes need to
>> switch to a plan with more minutes. Personally, I'm always right up close
>> to the 700 minutes I pay for every month and this way I know exactly what
>> I'm paying if I go over.
>>
>> --
>> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
>> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
>> sjsobol@JustThe.net
>> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
>> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three
>> kids.
>
>
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 11:31:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> The whole point is the Flexible part. It is for those who only
> occasionally have to Flex to the higher minute levels. If you are not
> occasionally Flexing up to the 800 minute level, but are constantly at
> that level then Fair & Flexible is not for you. And in WI, I believe
> MN, and other states, verizon's coverage is not superior.

Yup - they're beefing up coverage up there, but for a long time I know for sure
that Sprint was far superior...

--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 6:57:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"let_it_ride" <vzeegk9p@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<14wad.2552$ER4.2379@trndny04>...
> Have to disagree, the new Tier 2 plan works good even if you do go over the
> 700 minutes. Take a good look, even if you use 2000 min, it cost the same
> as a 2000 min plan, $110 with no roaming, and at that point, overages are
> only 5 cents/min, not 40!!!

I have to commend SPCS for breaking ranks with this old idea of
"punishing" users for going over their limit.
I think 30-42¢/minute is just pure punishment and an inducement for
customers to buy a bigger plan than they need, in order to avoid an
occaisional exhorbitant and down right abusive penalty. The carrier's
justification...every other cellco was doing it. grrrr!

-
David
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 4:15:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Well I don't know the current situation in MN, but here in WI, Sprint
PCS does cover more acreage and more population than verizon.

Steve Sobol wrote:
> Jerome Zelinske wrote:
>
>> The whole point is the Flexible part. It is for those who only
>> occasionally have to Flex to the higher minute levels. If you are not
>> occasionally Flexing up to the 800 minute level, but are constantly at
>> that level then Fair & Flexible is not for you. And in WI, I believe
>> MN, and other states, verizon's coverage is not superior.
>
>
> Yup - they're beefing up coverage up there, but for a long time I know
> for sure that Sprint was far superior...
>
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 4:59:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Steve Sobol <sjsobol@justthe.net> wrote:
>
> Yup - they're beefing up coverage up there, but for a long time I know for sure
> that Sprint was far superior...
>

I would like to know how they are doing that. There is no spectrum
available for Verizon to purchase and they do not seem to be increasing
cell density in town (Coon Rapids, Anoka, Andover and Ramsey have not
changed at all in 5 years!). The only expansion that I have seen is
local carrier buy out in the Arrowhead region and for the majority of
people in the state, that is not considered much of an improvement
except perhaps when on vacation.

- --

Thomas T. Veldhouse
Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.6 (FreeBSD)

iD8DBQFBa9Ug1p0e3NXsrtERAkiBAKCLPEICr/qFxYIM7ctWU2LuhDDTCgCgv/eX
+3XXqQhEWGIgRy2BYlZW7hE=
=NaTE
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 5:03:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

In alt.cellular.sprintpcs let_it_ride <vzeegk9p@verizon.net> wrote:
> Have to disagree, the new Tier 2 plan works good even if you do go over the
> 700 minutes. Take a good look, even if you use 2000 min, it cost the same
> as a 2000 min plan, $110 with no roaming, and at that point, overages are
> only 5 cents/min, not 40!!!
>

Essentially, if you can average 525 anytime minutes or more per month,
you are better off on the Fair & Flexible plan [option 2]. I made the
switch yesterday. I called and asked to switch, but was leary of paying
another $10 when my current usage stays between 400 and 500 minutes by
careful rationing towards the end of the month. They gave me Vision for
$10 rather than $15 giving me a net increase of only $5! So, well worth
it to me to move to F&F 700.

Honestly, I thhink this plan is being offered to get people off of the
Free & Clear plans. Which makes me think they should change the name of
the Free & Clear America add-on as I still have that and it should
probably be called Fair And Flexible America.

- --

Thomas T. Veldhouse
Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.6 (FreeBSD)

iD8DBQFBa9Y11p0e3NXsrtERAuf1AJ9moQ+YJdXkQeJFt/jFV3bWz63XqQCgud2+
Qbr9lsj5sDu+nhAm4SExlPc=
=Gkqf
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 12:20:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> Well I don't know the current situation in MN, but here in WI,
> Sprint PCS does cover more acreage and more population than verizon.

I can tell you that for several years, if you made a choice between Sprint and
Verizon and you lived somewhere outside the Twin Cities, your carrier's native
coverage would have been much better if you chose Sprint. Don't know if that's
still true.

--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 12:22:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> Essentially, if you can average 525 anytime minutes or more per month,
> you are better off on the Fair & Flexible plan [option 2]. I made the
> switch yesterday. I called and asked to switch, but was leary of paying
> another $10 when my current usage stays between 400 and 500 minutes by
> careful rationing towards the end of the month. They gave me Vision for
> $10 rather than $15 giving me a net increase of only $5! So, well worth
> it to me to move to F&F 700.

You can already get Vision for $10 instead of $15 per month if you choose not
to get the monthly $10 download credit. Does your Vision plan include that
credit? (My guess is "probably not".)

> Honestly, I thhink this plan is being offered to get people off of the
> Free & Clear plans.

Why do you think that? I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with F&C...



--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 4:43:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:416bd521$0$26871$8046368a@newsreader.iphouse.net...
>
> Steve Sobol <sjsobol@justthe.net> wrote:
>>
>> Yup - they're beefing up coverage up there, but for a long time I know for sure
>> that Sprint was far superior...
>>
>
> I would like to know how they are doing that. There is no spectrum
> available for Verizon to purchase and they do not seem to be increasing
> cell density in town (Coon Rapids, Anoka, Andover and Ramsey have not
> changed at all in 5 years!). The only expansion that I have seen is
> local carrier buy out in the Arrowhead region and for the majority of
> people in the state, that is not considered much of an improvement
> except perhaps when on vacation.
>
> Thomas T. Veldhouse

Probably they are doing much of it by roaming onto Sprint.
Last weekend in Walker, MN (southeast of Bemidji),
my son thought he had good Verizon coverage.
When I suggested he dial *611, he heard "Welcome to SprintPCS".
He then realized his phone showed he was on the "Extended Network".
---JRC---
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 5:36:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Steve Sobol <sjsobol@justthe.net> wrote:
>
> I can tell you that for several years, if you made a choice between Sprint and
> Verizon and you lived somewhere outside the Twin Cities, your carrier's native
> coverage would have been much better if you chose Sprint. Don't know if that's
> still true.
>

Yes, it is still true. Verizon is only native in the Twin Cities, the
Arrowhead [recently] and around Moorhead. Everywhere else is roaming
[albiet free roaming more often than not].

- --

Thomas T. Veldhouse
Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.6 (FreeBSD)

iD8DBQFBbS921p0e3NXsrtERAksjAJ9CWVCQ4IQZG1HW4+6P6BXbg6Ha6wCfWLDA
5uuN5hA3aqpMlh+N+A9V3yM=
=lOnf
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 5:37:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

John R. Copeland <jcopelan@columbus.rr.aol.com> wrote:
>
> Probably they are doing much of it by roaming onto Sprint.
> Last weekend in Walker, MN (southeast of Bemidji),
> my son thought he had good Verizon coverage.
> When I suggested he dial *611, he heard "Welcome to SprintPCS".
> He then realized his phone showed he was on the "Extended Network".

Which is why I use Sprint PCS, among other reasons ;) 

- --

Thomas T. Veldhouse
Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.6 (FreeBSD)

iD8DBQFBbS+01p0e3NXsrtERAqh9AJ45fOg8ULvTve0EC0T+OfkDbKMWqgCfaekN
EjR6xguiz7GghkdmoP/QraI=
=IpGe
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 5:40:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

In alt.cellular.sprintpcs Steve Sobol <sjsobol@justthe.net> wrote:
> Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
>
> You can already get Vision for $10 instead of $15 per month if you choose not
> to get the monthly $10 download credit. Does your Vision plan include that
> credit? (My guess is "probably not".)
>

I am already mad at them about this. I was charged for $5 in downloads
when I had that and I was told the credit doesn't apply to the first
$10. I said forget it, I won't bother using your damn download service
at all! And I have not since. I found a nice site that has a few
things to get and I use that.

>> Honestly, I thhink this plan is being offered to get people off of the
>> Free & Clear plans.
>
> Why do you think that? I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with F&C...
>

I don't think there is anything wrong with them either. I think they
want to show a large increase in customers using the new plan to put
pressure on competing carriers.

- --

Thomas T. Veldhouse
Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.6 (FreeBSD)

iD8DBQFBbTBU1p0e3NXsrtERAgv7AKCa5ZHfl+GsxzpmNH4Qi8SgX8CNrACfVIMH
rd4hWkU9DUhooJ88Vdl3IOc=
=QXN/
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 12:11:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> I am already mad at them about this. I was charged for $5 in downloads
> when I had that and I was told the credit doesn't apply to the first
> $10. I said forget it, I won't bother using your damn download service
> at all! And I have not since. I found a nice site that has a few
> things to get and I use that.

Really! I had the two-month free Vision trial which includes the download
credit, downloaded Ms. Pac-Man to my phone at a cost of $6 (I believe), called
for and received the download credit (even though I wasn't paying for Vision at
the time, since it's a free trial of the $15/month service).

Whoever told you it applies only after you spend the first $10 was a moron.

--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 7:38:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In alt.cellular.sprintpcs Steve Sobol <sjsobol@justthe.net> wrote:
> the time, since it's a free trial of the $15/month service).
>
> Whoever told you it applies only after you spend the first $10 was a moron.
>

That is essentially what I told him, in not so many words. However,
since I don't care about most of those downloads anyway, it wasn't a big
deal.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1
Spammers please contact me at trap@veldy.net.
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 6:56:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 03:30:33 GMT, Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net>
chose to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and
everything:

> If somebody is checking all the time to see if they are going
>over, then they are on too small of a plan. My only check is when I get
>my bill. If I ever go over, and I think that was only once in my many
>years when Ameriwreck had it's problems and my service was out almost a
>month, I would either call to get a larger plan or just be more
>disciplined in using fewer minutes in the future.

You must live (or did then) in the western suburbs of Chicago, and are
talking about the Hinsdale fire. I recall that my local AT&T office (now a
funeral home) put a temporary microwave tower in their parking lot. I did a
test call through the ham repeater I belonged to to see if I could at least
call home (I could).

--
David Streeter, "an internet god" -- Dave Barry
http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
Remove the naughty bit from my address to reply
Expect a train on ANY track at ANY time.
"[T]urkey can contain salmonella, which are tiny bacteria that, if they get
in your bloodstream, develop into full-grown salmon, which could come
leaping out of your mouth during an important business presentation."
- Dave Barry
!