need wireless router recommendation

Short of a Cisco router, what's a good wireless router for a home user? I
have a Netgear WGT624 but it is annoying that it drops the internet
connection after about a minute of being connected for administration. I've
had DHCP issues with it also. It's mostly an annoyance but it makes me
wonder about it's reliability......

So, I'm shopping. :-D
9 answers Last reply
More about need wireless router recommendation

    I'm using a Netgear FWG114P, rock solid!

    Bill Crocker

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:58:29 GMT, johnny@n0sq.us wrote:

    >Short of a Cisco router, what's a good wireless router for a home user? I
    >have a Netgear WGT624 but it is annoying that it drops the internet
    >connection after about a minute of being connected for administration. I've
    >had DHCP issues with it also. It's mostly an annoyance but it makes me
    >wonder about it's reliability......
    >
    >So, I'm shopping. :-D

    I gather you don't like Cisco, but my Linksys WRT54FG works fine.

    Avalanche wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:58:29 GMT, johnny@n0sq.us wrote:
    >
    >>Short of a Cisco router, what's a good wireless router for a home user? I
    >>have a Netgear WGT624 but it is annoying that it drops the internet
    >>connection after about a minute of being connected for administration.
    >>I've had DHCP issues with it also. It's mostly an annoyance but it makes
    >>me wonder about it's reliability......
    >>
    >>So, I'm shopping. :-D
    >>

    > I gather you don't like Cisco, but my Linksys WRT54FG works fine.

    If I could afford a Cisco router and if I was running a business I'd
    consider buying one.

    Cisco owns LinkSys.

    > Avalanche wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:58:29 GMT, johnny@n0sq.us wrote:
    >>
    >>>Short of a Cisco router, what's a good wireless router for a home user? I
    >>>have a Netgear WGT624 but it is annoying that it drops the internet
    >>>connection after about a minute of being connected for administration.
    >>>I've had DHCP issues with it also. It's mostly an annoyance but it makes
    >>>me wonder about it's reliability......
    >>>
    >>>So, I'm shopping. :-D
    >>>

    >> I gather you don't like Cisco, but my Linksys WRT54FG works fine.
    >
    > If I could afford a Cisco router and if I was running a business I'd
    > consider buying one.

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:35:54 -0500, in alt.internet.wireless , "Bill
    Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Cisco owns LinkSys.

    yes, but so what?
    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Yes, but that does not mean that buying a Linksys router gives you Cisco
    quality. You get the same low end consumer grade router with Cisco's name on
    it.

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 03:52:41 GMT, johnny@n0sq.us wrote:

    >Avalanche wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:58:29 GMT, johnny@n0sq.us wrote:
    >>
    >>>Short of a Cisco router, what's a good wireless router for a home user? I
    >>>have a Netgear WGT624 but it is annoying that it drops the internet
    >>>connection after about a minute of being connected for administration.
    >>>I've had DHCP issues with it also. It's mostly an annoyance but it makes
    >>>me wonder about it's reliability......
    >>>
    >>>So, I'm shopping. :-D
    >>>

    >> I gather you don't like Cisco, but my Linksys WRT54FG works fine.
    >
    >If I could afford a Cisco router and if I was running a business I'd
    >consider buying one.

    As noted, linksys is Cisco. After rebate the WRT54G v.2 cost abot $60.
    There are higher and, I think, lower, priced models.

    johnny@n0sq.us wrote:

    > Short of a Cisco router, what's a good wireless router for a home user? I
    > have a Netgear WGT624 but it is annoying that it drops the internet
    > connection after about a minute of being connected for administration. I've
    > had DHCP issues with it also. It's mostly an annoyance but it makes me
    > wonder about it's reliability......
    >
    > So, I'm shopping. :-D

    I have a netgear WGT634U.

    I had a problem to start with. Wire connections worked, but no wireless
    (radio).

    They sent me a new one. A complete new one, in the box, with all of the
    parts.

    My next problem was with my laptop. This was my learning how to.

    After I got that figured out, I have no problems. It works when I want
    it to. I use the wireless for the laptop so I am not limited to the
    "computer" room.

    I use WPA security and when I am not using the laptop, I turn off the
    radio. This is the highest form of security.

    I have no known problems with drop out or loosing the connection while
    in admin mode.

    OT: I was in Virginia this last week. The hotel had wireless service.
    I only found it in the lobby. It was slower than molasses in January.
    My laptop said I had and excellent connection, but. My home service
    from RR broadband has spoiled me.

    johnny@n0sq.us wrote:
    >Short of a Cisco router, what's a good wireless router for a home user?

    I like Linksys, except for my BEFVP41, which doesn't work, and is
    apparently unsupported.

Wireless Router Wireless Networking