need wireless router recommendation

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
November 21, 2004 1:58:29 AM

Short of a Cisco router, what's a good wireless router for a home user? I
have a Netgear WGT624 but it is annoying that it drops the internet
connection after about a minute of being connected for administration. I've
had DHCP issues with it also. It's mostly an annoyance but it makes me
wonder about it's reliability......

So, I'm shopping. :-D
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 1:58:30 AM

I'm using a Netgear FWG114P, rock solid!

Bill Crocker

<johnny@n0sq.us> wrote in message
news:p _Pnd.31074$KJ6.21088@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Short of a Cisco router, what's a good wireless router for a home user? I
> have a Netgear WGT624 but it is annoying that it drops the internet
> connection after about a minute of being connected for administration.
> I've
> had DHCP issues with it also. It's mostly an annoyance but it makes me
> wonder about it's reliability......
>
> So, I'm shopping. :-D

November 21, 2004 5:54:38 AM

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:58:29 GMT, johnny@n0sq.us wrote:

>Short of a Cisco router, what's a good wireless router for a home user? I
>have a Netgear WGT624 but it is annoying that it drops the internet
>connection after about a minute of being connected for administration. I've
>had DHCP issues with it also. It's mostly an annoyance but it makes me
>wonder about it's reliability......
>
>So, I'm shopping. :-D

I gather you don't like Cisco, but my Linksys WRT54FG works fine.
Related resources
November 21, 2004 6:52:41 AM

Avalanche wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:58:29 GMT, johnny@n0sq.us wrote:
>
>>Short of a Cisco router, what's a good wireless router for a home user? I
>>have a Netgear WGT624 but it is annoying that it drops the internet
>>connection after about a minute of being connected for administration.
>>I've had DHCP issues with it also. It's mostly an annoyance but it makes
>>me wonder about it's reliability......
>>
>>So, I'm shopping. :-D
>>

> I gather you don't like Cisco, but my Linksys WRT54FG works fine.

If I could afford a Cisco router and if I was running a business I'd
consider buying one.
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 6:52:42 AM

Cisco owns LinkSys.

news:D iUnd.1200$uV6.1016@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Avalanche wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:58:29 GMT, johnny@n0sq.us wrote:
>>
>>>Short of a Cisco router, what's a good wireless router for a home user? I
>>>have a Netgear WGT624 but it is annoying that it drops the internet
>>>connection after about a minute of being connected for administration.
>>>I've had DHCP issues with it also. It's mostly an annoyance but it makes
>>>me wonder about it's reliability......
>>>
>>>So, I'm shopping. :-D
>>>

>> I gather you don't like Cisco, but my Linksys WRT54FG works fine.
>
> If I could afford a Cisco router and if I was running a business I'd
> consider buying one.

Anonymous
November 21, 2004 2:05:39 PM

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:35:54 -0500, in alt.internet.wireless , "Bill
Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote:

>Cisco owns LinkSys.

yes, but so what?
--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html&gt;

November 21, 2004 6:24:29 PM

Yes, but that does not mean that buying a Linksys router gives you Cisco
quality. You get the same low end consumer grade router with Cisco's name on
it.

"Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Cisco owns LinkSys.

November 22, 2004 1:17:26 AM

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 03:52:41 GMT, johnny@n0sq.us wrote:

>Avalanche wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:58:29 GMT, johnny@n0sq.us wrote:
>>
>>>Short of a Cisco router, what's a good wireless router for a home user? I
>>>have a Netgear WGT624 but it is annoying that it drops the internet
>>>connection after about a minute of being connected for administration.
>>>I've had DHCP issues with it also. It's mostly an annoyance but it makes
>>>me wonder about it's reliability......
>>>
>>>So, I'm shopping. :-D
>>>

>> I gather you don't like Cisco, but my Linksys WRT54FG works fine.
>
>If I could afford a Cisco router and if I was running a business I'd
>consider buying one.

As noted, linksys is Cisco. After rebate the WRT54G v.2 cost abot $60.
There are higher and, I think, lower, priced models.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 3:41:24 AM

johnny@n0sq.us wrote:

> Short of a Cisco router, what's a good wireless router for a home user? I
> have a Netgear WGT624 but it is annoying that it drops the internet
> connection after about a minute of being connected for administration. I've
> had DHCP issues with it also. It's mostly an annoyance but it makes me
> wonder about it's reliability......
>
> So, I'm shopping. :-D

I have a netgear WGT634U.

I had a problem to start with. Wire connections worked, but no wireless
(radio).

They sent me a new one. A complete new one, in the box, with all of the
parts.

My next problem was with my laptop. This was my learning how to.

After I got that figured out, I have no problems. It works when I want
it to. I use the wireless for the laptop so I am not limited to the
"computer" room.

I use WPA security and when I am not using the laptop, I turn off the
radio. This is the highest form of security.

I have no known problems with drop out or loosing the connection while
in admin mode.

OT: I was in Virginia this last week. The hotel had wireless service.
I only found it in the lobby. It was slower than molasses in January.
My laptop said I had and excellent connection, but. My home service
from RR broadband has spoiled me.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 1:33:54 PM

johnny@n0sq.us wrote:
>Short of a Cisco router, what's a good wireless router for a home user?

I like Linksys, except for my BEFVP41, which doesn't work, and is
apparently unsupported.
!