HD 5870 on sale for $199 after rebate at Newegg!

fencer55

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
It's March 5th 2011 and I saw the XFX Radeon HD 5870 on sale on newegg today for $199 after $30 rebate! I bought it immediately, plus a 3rd monitor to go with the 2 I'm currently using (needed same resolution of 1440 x 900). The card was $199 and the 3rd monitor was $99 so for a great price, I'm taking the plunge for eyefinity. I read on Tom's Hardware in August of 2009, that the price of the HD 4870 had just dropped to $150, then I found it on Newegg with a $25 rebate plus free shipping. That card has done an awesome job and I've been dreaming about a 5000/6000 series card and a 3rd monitor, but now it is affordable.

On the Tom's Graphics Cards Hierarchy chart, it is recommended that you only upgrade to a card 3 tiers higher on the chart in order to get your money's worth. The 5870 is 3 tiers higher than the 4870. Whenever I upgrade a working card to a better one, I sell my old card in the box on ebay and usually get most of my money back, and plan to do that with this one. I always keep the packaging for processors and video cards, and I can upgrade for a fraction of the cost. Anyway, if you've got an older card and are itching for one of the fastest on the market, the rebate runs until 3/15/11.

I've been playing Fallen Earth since pre-order and its a cool game. It supports eyefinity, but I haven't had the money to leap into the pool until now. Also, I just bought Rift, an awesome fantasy MMORPG, with really incredible graphics. Anyone else have eyefinity setup and playing either game? If so, I'd like to get some feedback or hear about any pitfalls you may have encountered.

Asus M3A78-EM AM2+ motherboard
Phenom II X4 BE overclocked from 3.0 to 3.5 ghz and stable
XFX HD 4870 1gb
Western Digital 1.0 tb Cavier Black
4 gb OCZ exteme memory
Fios 25mbs down/25mbs up fiber optic to the house