G5 powerbook, lame? ANYONE?

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
First, not flaming the Macs, just asking a question. When I was shopping around for my laptop, I decided to look at the one powerbook in the store. It SUCKED! It was a G5 powerbook, and it lagged just trying to open any of the simple shortcuts on the desktop. The same with opening any kind of web page to view. This was exponentially slower than even some of the older celeron based intel laptops I'd looked at.

Now, did I just happen upon one with a problem? Or are they that stinking slow? That 5 minutes I spent with that thing really set me back in the little confidence I had in Apple. Please tell me that particular machine just had a virus or something.

<font color=green> AMD- Intel's choice for Best CPU manufacturer </font color=green>

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
Sorry i have no idea. I haven't played with a powerbook in 4 years.

F@H:
AMD: [64 3000+][2500+][2000+ down][1.3x2][366]
Intel: [X 3.0x3][P4 3.0x2][P4 2.4x5 down][P4 1.4]

"...and i'm not gay" RX8 -Greatest Quote of ALL Time

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
Way too many factors could cause this.

1. G4 Laptop. G5 laptops are not available yet... if ever

2. What are simple short cuts? applications?

3 your compairing website speed on one machine to another...on a network (likely a PC one)... in a store?

Im not sure what i can tell you... Opening apps are just like any other machine... depends on what program and what plug-ins it may have... and if it has been opened and closed once already.(ie. Open an Adobe app. and close it. open it again, notice how much faster it is?) Or what may be running in the background.

If you were compairng opening one program to the SAME program on the Celery. it might have served you to have both machines restarted first.

Also... Apple products have this 'cool' factor about them the makes people gravitate toward them. meaning it might have also been the most abused laptop in the store.

then again... it could have been a virus.

or perhaps it just sux.

was this the new Tiger?

what store was this at?

Maybe it was folding?

<b><A HREF="http://www.digitalgunfire.com" target="_new">DigitalGunfire-Industrial EBM</A></b>
ASUS P4S8X-P4 2.4B - 2x512M DDR333 - ATI 9500Pro - WD80G HD(8M) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
Sorry,
Wasn't trying to make this that complicated.
1. Yes, G4, my bad.

2. ANY of the shortcuts: any apps, any system info, anything. I was just browsing the machine in general. I tried many different things. I couldn't tell you the names of the apps cuz I'm not a Mac guy.

3. No, not web speeds. It was on the same network as the other computers; and I was just talking loading the browser with no web page.... BLANK!

Maybe it did need to be rebooted, I don't know. I was just trying to see if anyone knew if those things should have comparable speed to similar windows laptops or if the one I looked at was representative of the powerbooks in general.

<font color=green> AMD- Intel's choice for Best CPU manufacturer </font color=green>

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
not representative at all.

if your talking loading speed for say, IE ..its as fast anything else.

and system tools... everything 'should' be smooth an quick.

think you jusut got an abused machine.

Granted... I have seen my fair share of crap mac... but they have all been in MAC labs... in schools... i would only image that the same thing would apply to those in the store.

<b><A HREF="http://www.digitalgunfire.com" target="_new">DigitalGunfire-Industrial EBM</A></b>
ASUS P4S8X-P4 2.4B - 2x512M DDR333 - ATI 9500Pro - WD80G HD(8M) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
Yeah,
Thanks. My last intensive use of a Mac was a IIe in my college's lab. (enough to turn anyone to PC) But, I had seen some Mac's of late that made me take a look, and I got a really bad flashback. Glad to hear it was probably just a glitch.

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
typicly everyone i have ever known that puchaced a Mac was happy with it...biggest complaint is the price.
that and the lack of games...