Linksys 4 port router & WAN

Tomlin

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
Linksys 4 port router with intergrated WAN

I bought one of these puppies the other day as I was about to have my one meg cable connection installed and thought it would be the easiest way to share it across my network.

But for the life of me I can't get it to work.

I can get my cable running through the nic of any of my pc's but when I plug them into the router and try to run the cable through that the cable modem won't connect. I get a link light but the packets being sent from my router to the cable modem just don't seem to be doing anything

The router is set up with all standard settings. DHCP is enabled and it is set up to act as a gateway(standard setting) rather than a router. Everything is as it came out of the box.

Please tell me I'm missing something really obvious that'll take me 10 seconds to fix when I get home ;)

Any help would be greatly received.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
do you have a static ip with your account? you might have to put some string of numbers in the host field in the router setup, what kind of authentication do you have to use on your computers? pppoe?

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

Tomlin

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
Thanks for the ideas.

I seem to have worked out a solution for now but I'm not sure if it was the right way to do it.

Because I could get a connection through any of my computers but not through the router I cloned the MAC address and name of one of them onto the router.

Hey presto! I now have a fully functioning 1Mb cable connection running across all my pc's. :)

Hehe, man I always seem to find that if I play around with the settings I know nothing about for long enough it all turns out ok in the end.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i wouldnt have thought that was the problem because multiple computers worked, maybe your cable company has blacklisted dsl router mac manufaturer strings?

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
too bad I didn't see this one sooner. Cloning the MAC address is a perfectly valid solution. But, you could have gotten it to work with the original MAC address by doing one very simple thing: Repowering the cable modem. Oh well.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>