Sign in with
Your question

VMWare capabilities

Last response: in Business Computing
March 1, 2013 2:40:40 PM

Hey guys I'm trying to ascertain if VMWare woul be able to basically run windows 8 from two different drives. In other words I plan on installing an SSD in a few days and I want to be able to work simultaneously doing a clean install on that drive and my current drive. Is that possible with VMWare and would it limit the things I could do on the virtualized drive?

More about : vmware capabilities

March 1, 2013 4:00:44 PM

Not sure if I correctly understand what you are trying to do, but you can only run one OS at a time on a typical PCs, so VMWare will only be operating under the OS that you are booting to, regardless of the drive it is installed on. Now you can install any Windows OS in VMWare, which saves an image file on the hard drive, and you can use the OS installed in VMWare like a 2nd computer, but it will be limited in what it can do since it will be emulating most of the hardware. As for running an OS in VMWare "from two different drives", I don't understand what you mean...
March 1, 2013 4:08:24 PM

EnderWiggin said:
Not sure if I correctly understand what you are trying to do, but you can only run one OS at a time on a typical PCs, so VMWare will only be operating under the OS that you are booting to, regardless of the drive it is installed on. Now you can install any Windows OS in VMWare, which saves an image file on the hard drive, and you can use the OS installed in VMWare like a 2nd computer, but it will be limited in what it can do since it will be emulating most of the hardware. As for running an OS in VMWare "from two different drives", I don't understand what you mean...

Thanks for the response; you helped me understand vmware a little better. I'm certain I wouldn't be able to do what I was hoping to do with vmware. Basically I wanted to run the operating system fom both physical drives at the same time.
Related resources
March 1, 2013 4:08:53 PM

VMWare virtualized machines run from files and you can put that on any physical drive or partition you wish.
March 1, 2013 4:10:32 PM

You could run both operating systems from 1,2 or more physical drives. One of the drive would have to be the boot drive for your Host operating system. Your guest operating system could run from wherever you can place files.
March 1, 2013 5:12:01 PM

How would this process work?
March 22, 2013 8:51:40 PM

Help me understand.... do you want to run two instances of Windows 8 at the same time?

You can do this with any virtualization software, hyper v, vmware, virtual box, citrix.... just try to give us an understanding of what you want to do. We'll get you sorted :) 
March 26, 2013 9:48:30 AM

Or do you want to run the same Windows 8 virtualization file in VMWare installed in two partitions? You should be able to do that if both installs of VMWare are pointing to the same Windows 8 visualization file.
May 5, 2013 4:30:43 AM

Hi agrier9 - do you still require help with this?

Do you know what VMware / player that you will be using for this project?
!