Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

wifi hates wired

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 20, 2004 10:18:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Greetings!

So, I have an odd issue. So, this is my first wifi network...and where most
people's greatest concern is security, I have no issues with locking down a
network. However, I do have issues with my wireless system and my personal
box not seeing each other. My box is connected directly to the Linksys
wireless-G router through my full-dup 100, and the other box connects via
Linksys Wireless-G adapter, both with speed booster. Wireless runs
XP-Personal, and my box runs W2k-ASE. The dhcp on my box is disabled to
prevent issues with conflicting dhcp with my router. Both systems have the
same workgroup. My router does not, however, seem to be acknowledging my
box on the dhcp end. I have my machine set to a fixed 192.168.1.155,
something I have had great success with in the past when dealing with an
auto-config dhcp network. I also have pgp7 installed on my machine, which
has its own virtual network adapter, but uses the actual one for network
stuff. Another oddity: I can access my router's config only from my
computer, and not the wifi macine.

Any answers? Please let me know asap.

Thank you for your help.

-Liam



Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
----------------------------------------------------------
** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.usenet.com

More about : wifi hates wired

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 21, 2004 6:56:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Liam Conrad" <someone@blah.com> wrote in news:419febe6$1_5@127.0.0.1:

> Greetings!
>
> So, I have an odd issue. So, this is my first wifi network...and
> where most people's greatest concern is security, I have no issues
> with locking down a network. However, I do have issues with my
> wireless system and my personal box not seeing each other. My box is
> connected directly to the Linksys wireless-G router through my
> full-dup 100, and the other box connects via Linksys Wireless-G
> adapter, both with speed booster. Wireless runs XP-Personal, and my
> box runs W2k-ASE. The dhcp on my box is disabled to prevent issues
> with conflicting dhcp with my router. Both systems have the same
> workgroup. My router does not, however, seem to be acknowledging my
> box on the dhcp end. I have my machine set to a fixed 192.168.1.155,
> something I have had great success with in the past when dealing with
> an auto-config dhcp network. I also have pgp7 installed on my
> machine, which has its own virtual network adapter, but uses the
> actual one for network stuff. Another oddity: I can access my
> router's config only from my computer, and not the wifi macine.
>
> Any answers? Please let me know asap.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> -Liam

I had trouble with wire and wireless machines accessing each other when
WEP was enabled on my BEFW11S4 V1 router. The machines were Win 2K pro
and Adv Server at the time. With WEP off, there was no problem. I came
around the WEP enabled problem by using NWlink as one of the network
protocols.

Now, the machines are XP Pro and the only network protocol I use is
TCP/IP with MS Network Client, MS File & Print Service and QoS Packet
Scheduler. I have no problems with this configuration for wired and
wireless machine. The machines wired or wireless can also do File Sharing
with the Linux machine that runs Samba on the network.

You may want to look into the network protocols.

If you try NWlink, you should uninstall NETBeui first if you have NETBeui
installed.

Duane :) 
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 21, 2004 7:17:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:18:44 -0600, "Liam Conrad" <someone@blah.com>
wrote:

>So, I have an odd issue. So, this is my first wifi network...and where most
>people's greatest concern is security, I have no issues with locking down a
>network. However, I do have issues with my wireless system and my personal
>box not seeing each other. My box is connected directly to the Linksys
>wireless-G router through my full-dup 100, and the other box connects via
>Linksys Wireless-G adapter, both with speed booster.

I like mysteries. I deduce that your Linksys wireless router is a
WRT54GS. How close did I get?

>Wireless runs
>XP-Personal, and my box runs W2k-ASE.

Ok. You have two computahs. Some questions:
- Do both of them have static IP addresses?
- Can both of them ping the router at 192.168.1.1?
- What do you have configured for a default gateway IP address
on each?
- Can the wRT54GS connect to the internet via dsl or cable?
- Can both machine browse the internet?
- Do you have Windoze file sharing enabled on both machines?
- Do you have any directories marked as shareable (optional)?
- Duz your XP box have SP2 installed? If so, temporarily disarm
the firewall to see if that's getting in the way. If so,
configure the Windoze firewall to allow "file and print sharing".
- Do you have any other personal firewalls or security softare
installed?

>The dhcp on my box is disabled to
>prevent issues with conflicting dhcp with my router.

I assume that there some reason for not using DHCP.

>Both systems have the
>same workgroup.

OK, so you're description of them not "seeing" each other means
Windoze browsing (NETBIOS of TCP/IP). Try this to bypass the master
browser mess:
Start -> Run
\\IP_address_of_other_machine
or
\\name_of_other_machine
You should get a display of the available shares on the other machine.

>My router does not, however, seem to be acknowledging my
>box on the dhcp end.

Huh? Duz that mean that your "box" cannot ping the router? Can't
access the web configuration? Cannot browse the net?

>I have my machine set to a fixed 192.168.1.155,
>something I have had great success with in the past when dealing with an
>auto-config dhcp network.

Make your life easier and kindly cease trying to configure your
computahs. It's not working. Since you were able to disable DHCP, I
deduce that you have access to the router via the web configuration
from at least one machine. Turn DHCP back on, setup your client
computers to use DHCP assigned IP addresses, reboot, and see if things
start to work. When you have connectivity to the internet and between
machines, then tinker with fixed IP addresses. When you have those
working, turn off DHCP last in the router.

>I also have pgp7 installed on my machine, which
>has its own virtual network adapter, but uses the actual one for network
>stuff. Another oddity: I can access my router's config only from my
>computer, and not the wifi macine.

Which is "my computer", the XP box or the W2K box?

>Any answers? Please let me know asap.

No, just lots of questions. With all due respect, your description of
the problem and general lack of numbers isn't making answering your
question any easier. In the future, kindly state:
1. What you are trying to accomplish.
2. What you have to work with. (Hardware, Operating systems,
versions, updates).
3. Where you are stuck.
4. What you did to get there.

>Thank you for your help.
>-Liam


--
# Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
# 831.336.2558 voice http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# 831.421.6491 digital_pager jeffl@cruzio.com AE6KS
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 21, 2004 3:05:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Hey,

Ok, that is my router. the xp is a dynamic ip obtained by the dhcp on the
router. I do not have internet on the router for them to connect. As of
right now, bot machines will be onnecting through the dial-up on the
wireless xp box. As to the dhcp on my machine, w2k-Advances Server Edition
likes to serve ip's, so the dhcp server has been disabled, 'cause as we all
know, the worst thing for a network other than power failure is to dhcp
servers trying to serve each other ip's...can we say HALT? haha. Yes, both
machines ping the router. Both machines have the router configured as the
default gateway. XP machine does not have SP2 installed, but XP's internal
firewall is configured to allow file/print sharing over wireless, and not
over internet, though internet connection sharing is active on the xp
machine. PGP7 is installed on w2k-ASE machine, but PGPnet is disabled
entirely, including PGPnet VPN protocol on main adapter, and the PGPnet VPN
virtual adapter. PGP shouldn't be interfering. Both machines have the same
workgroup. My machine can pin gthe router, as I can configure it through
its default 192.168.1.1:80 address...the wireless machine cannot, however.
I am to understand that this is a common thing, that the wireless machines
cannot, for security reasons, configure the router by these means.

With all do respect, many of your questions were already answered in my
previous post. I hope this additional info helps you some.

-Liam Conrad, KF4TQS


"Jeff Liebermann" <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message
news:uo40q0pgv3fehhb8slai03196venm6okso@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:18:44 -0600, "Liam Conrad" <someone@blah.com>
> wrote:
>
>>So, I have an odd issue. So, this is my first wifi network...and where
>>most
>>people's greatest concern is security, I have no issues with locking down
>>a
>>network. However, I do have issues with my wireless system and my
>>personal
>>box not seeing each other. My box is connected directly to the Linksys
>>wireless-G router through my full-dup 100, and the other box connects via
>>Linksys Wireless-G adapter, both with speed booster.
>
> I like mysteries. I deduce that your Linksys wireless router is a
> WRT54GS. How close did I get?
>
>>Wireless runs
>>XP-Personal, and my box runs W2k-ASE.
>
> Ok. You have two computahs. Some questions:
> - Do both of them have static IP addresses?
> - Can both of them ping the router at 192.168.1.1?
> - What do you have configured for a default gateway IP address
> on each?
> - Can the wRT54GS connect to the internet via dsl or cable?
> - Can both machine browse the internet?
> - Do you have Windoze file sharing enabled on both machines?
> - Do you have any directories marked as shareable (optional)?
> - Duz your XP box have SP2 installed? If so, temporarily disarm
> the firewall to see if that's getting in the way. If so,
> configure the Windoze firewall to allow "file and print sharing".
> - Do you have any other personal firewalls or security softare
> installed?
>
>>The dhcp on my box is disabled to
>>prevent issues with conflicting dhcp with my router.
>
> I assume that there some reason for not using DHCP.
>
>>Both systems have the
>>same workgroup.
>
> OK, so you're description of them not "seeing" each other means
> Windoze browsing (NETBIOS of TCP/IP). Try this to bypass the master
> browser mess:
> Start -> Run
> \\IP_address_of_other_machine
> or
> \\name_of_other_machine
> You should get a display of the available shares on the other machine.
>
>>My router does not, however, seem to be acknowledging my
>>box on the dhcp end.
>
> Huh? Duz that mean that your "box" cannot ping the router? Can't
> access the web configuration? Cannot browse the net?
>
>>I have my machine set to a fixed 192.168.1.155,
>>something I have had great success with in the past when dealing with an
>>auto-config dhcp network.
>
> Make your life easier and kindly cease trying to configure your
> computahs. It's not working. Since you were able to disable DHCP, I
> deduce that you have access to the router via the web configuration
> from at least one machine. Turn DHCP back on, setup your client
> computers to use DHCP assigned IP addresses, reboot, and see if things
> start to work. When you have connectivity to the internet and between
> machines, then tinker with fixed IP addresses. When you have those
> working, turn off DHCP last in the router.
>
>>I also have pgp7 installed on my machine, which
>>has its own virtual network adapter, but uses the actual one for network
>>stuff. Another oddity: I can access my router's config only from my
>>computer, and not the wifi macine.
>
> Which is "my computer", the XP box or the W2K box?
>
>>Any answers? Please let me know asap.
>
> No, just lots of questions. With all due respect, your description of
> the problem and general lack of numbers isn't making answering your
> question any easier. In the future, kindly state:
> 1. What you are trying to accomplish.
> 2. What you have to work with. (Hardware, Operating systems,
> versions, updates).
> 3. Where you are stuck.
> 4. What you did to get there.
>
>>Thank you for your help.
>>-Liam
>
>
> --
> # Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
> # 831.336.2558 voice http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
> # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
> # 831.421.6491 digital_pager jeffl@cruzio.com AE6KS



Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
----------------------------------------------------------
** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.usenet.com
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 22, 2004 12:56:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Liam Conrad" <someone@blah.com> wrote in news:41a0f9de$1_3@127.0.0.1:

> Thank you very much!! The protocol issue was indeed correct and now
> my wifi and network is functioning correctly...well mostly. I have an
> issue with an occasional loss of signal (typically very good to
> excellent). I think that may be the age of this house (~100yrs) and a
> few other issues. RF propegation is something I understand well, and
> feel that this will be solved with adjusting antenna location, and
> antenna gain. Thank you, again, for your help.
>
> Gratefully,
> -Liam Conrad, KF4TQS

You are welcome and I am glad you have resolved the problem.

Duane :) 
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 22, 2004 2:54:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

there are many people who do not use DHCP and manually assign IP addresses.
I do that as I port forward Remote Desktop connection and sometimes
pcAnywhere on a friend's machine. However, when I use DHCP, the last 3
digits of the IP address start at .100. However, when I assign the IP
addresses the final digits are less than 100, i.e. 192.168.1.20 or
192.168.1.30
It works just fine. It's the only way if you are doing any port forwarding.


"Liam Conrad" <someone@blah.com> wrote in message
news:41a0d7d2$1_2@127.0.0.1...
> Hey,
>
> Ok, that is my router. the xp is a dynamic ip obtained by the dhcp on the
> router. I do not have internet on the router for them to connect. As of
> right now, bot machines will be onnecting through the dial-up on the
> wireless xp box. As to the dhcp on my machine, w2k-Advances Server
> Edition likes to serve ip's, so the dhcp server has been disabled, 'cause
> as we all know, the worst thing for a network other than power failure is
> to dhcp servers trying to serve each other ip's...can we say HALT? haha.
> Yes, both machines ping the router. Both machines have the router
> configured as the default gateway. XP machine does not have SP2
> installed, but XP's internal firewall is configured to allow file/print
> sharing over wireless, and not over internet, though internet connection
> sharing is active on the xp machine. PGP7 is installed on w2k-ASE
> machine, but PGPnet is disabled entirely, including PGPnet VPN protocol on
> main adapter, and the PGPnet VPN virtual adapter. PGP shouldn't be
> interfering. Both machines have the same workgroup. My machine can pin
> gthe router, as I can configure it through its default 192.168.1.1:80
> address...the wireless machine cannot, however. I am to understand that
> this is a common thing, that the wireless machines cannot, for security
> reasons, configure the router by these means.
>
> With all do respect, many of your questions were already answered in my
> previous post. I hope this additional info helps you some.
>
> -Liam Conrad, KF4TQS
>
>
> "Jeff Liebermann" <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message
> news:uo40q0pgv3fehhb8slai03196venm6okso@4ax.com...
>> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:18:44 -0600, "Liam Conrad" <someone@blah.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>So, I have an odd issue. So, this is my first wifi network...and where
>>>most
>>>people's greatest concern is security, I have no issues with locking down
>>>a
>>>network. However, I do have issues with my wireless system and my
>>>personal
>>>box not seeing each other. My box is connected directly to the Linksys
>>>wireless-G router through my full-dup 100, and the other box connects via
>>>Linksys Wireless-G adapter, both with speed booster.
>>
>> I like mysteries. I deduce that your Linksys wireless router is a
>> WRT54GS. How close did I get?
>>
>>>Wireless runs
>>>XP-Personal, and my box runs W2k-ASE.
>>
>> Ok. You have two computahs. Some questions:
>> - Do both of them have static IP addresses?
>> - Can both of them ping the router at 192.168.1.1?
>> - What do you have configured for a default gateway IP address
>> on each?
>> - Can the wRT54GS connect to the internet via dsl or cable?
>> - Can both machine browse the internet?
>> - Do you have Windoze file sharing enabled on both machines?
>> - Do you have any directories marked as shareable (optional)?
>> - Duz your XP box have SP2 installed? If so, temporarily disarm
>> the firewall to see if that's getting in the way. If so,
>> configure the Windoze firewall to allow "file and print sharing".
>> - Do you have any other personal firewalls or security softare
>> installed?
>>
>>>The dhcp on my box is disabled to
>>>prevent issues with conflicting dhcp with my router.
>>
>> I assume that there some reason for not using DHCP.
>>
>>>Both systems have the
>>>same workgroup.
>>
>> OK, so you're description of them not "seeing" each other means
>> Windoze browsing (NETBIOS of TCP/IP). Try this to bypass the master
>> browser mess:
>> Start -> Run
>> \\IP_address_of_other_machine
>> or
>> \\name_of_other_machine
>> You should get a display of the available shares on the other machine.
>>
>>>My router does not, however, seem to be acknowledging my
>>>box on the dhcp end.
>>
>> Huh? Duz that mean that your "box" cannot ping the router? Can't
>> access the web configuration? Cannot browse the net?
>>
>>>I have my machine set to a fixed 192.168.1.155,
>>>something I have had great success with in the past when dealing with an
>>>auto-config dhcp network.
>>
>> Make your life easier and kindly cease trying to configure your
>> computahs. It's not working. Since you were able to disable DHCP, I
>> deduce that you have access to the router via the web configuration
>> from at least one machine. Turn DHCP back on, setup your client
>> computers to use DHCP assigned IP addresses, reboot, and see if things
>> start to work. When you have connectivity to the internet and between
>> machines, then tinker with fixed IP addresses. When you have those
>> working, turn off DHCP last in the router.
>>
>>>I also have pgp7 installed on my machine, which
>>>has its own virtual network adapter, but uses the actual one for network
>>>stuff. Another oddity: I can access my router's config only from my
>>>computer, and not the wifi macine.
>>
>> Which is "my computer", the XP box or the W2K box?
>>
>>>Any answers? Please let me know asap.
>>
>> No, just lots of questions. With all due respect, your description of
>> the problem and general lack of numbers isn't making answering your
>> question any easier. In the future, kindly state:
>> 1. What you are trying to accomplish.
>> 2. What you have to work with. (Hardware, Operating systems,
>> versions, updates).
>> 3. Where you are stuck.
>> 4. What you did to get there.
>>
>>>Thank you for your help.
>>>-Liam
>>
>>
>> --
>> # Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
>> # 831.336.2558 voice http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
>> # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
>> # 831.421.6491 digital_pager jeffl@cruzio.com AE6KS
>
>
>
> Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.usenet.com
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 23, 2004 4:58:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:54:01 -0500, Alan White spoketh

>there are many people who do not use DHCP and manually assign IP addresses.
>I do that as I port forward Remote Desktop connection and sometimes
>pcAnywhere on a friend's machine. However, when I use DHCP, the last 3
>digits of the IP address start at .100. However, when I assign the IP
>addresses the final digits are less than 100, i.e. 192.168.1.20 or
>192.168.1.30
>It works just fine. It's the only way if you are doing any port forwarding.
>

Unless of course, if you have a DHCP server which supports
reservations...

Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net
Remove "bad" from my e-mail address to contact me.
"If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"
!