Your question

Drooling over MSI's newest DDR mobo!

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • DDR
  • MSI-Microstar
Last response: in Motherboards
February 26, 2001 10:45:27 PM

For those thinking seriously about a DDR system, you may be interested in reading MSI's newest DDR announcement:

<font color=blue>MSI(tm) announces the most recent addition to its existing award-winning K7T family, the K7T 266 Pro. This newest ATX form factor edition uses the new VIA Apollo KT 266 chipset to provide the highest performance and the most scalable chipset solution for the latest AMD Athlon(tm) and Duron(tm) processors. With the capability to support the latest high-speed DDR200/266 SDRAM and 4x AGP, the K7T 266 Pro offers many advantages in graphics performance and memory transfers. Whether you are a business user running multiple applications or a hardcore gamer searching for the most reliable system, the K7T 266 Pro enables you to maximize the benefits of the latest AMD(tm) processor technology.
The K7T 266 Pro has a total of 3 DDR slots and supports up to 3GB DDR SDRAM of system memory. With 1 AGP, 1 CNR and 5 PCI slots, the K7T 266 Pro provides the greatest flexibility and expandability for add-on devices.

MSI(tm) always offers products of the highest quality and the K7T 266 Pro is no exception. In addition to its excellent performance and stability, the K7T 266 Pro also offers the following features:

Supports Ultra ATA100 and RAID. The Ultra ATA100 with RAID Bus Master interface provides an excellent and faster connection for IDE devices. Supports 6 USB 2.0 ports. Supports 266 MHz Front Side Bus.</font color=blue>

Besides drooling over the DDR aspects of this board, did you notice that USB 2.0 is finally here!

More about : drooling msi newest ddr mobo

February 27, 2001 1:04:35 AM

USB 2.0 is here, but not without its problems. Look for our upcoming review. As a heads up, the K7Master-S is beating this board in head to head performance benchmarks. We are trying to isolate problems, but don't expect to have details before Friday (our previously announced review date). I'll keep you posted.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'
February 27, 2001 3:02:41 AM

"MSI(tm) announces the most recent addition to its existing award-winning K7T family, the K7T 266 Pro. This newest ATX form factor edition uses the new VIA Apollo KT 266 chipset to provide the highest performance and the most scalable chipset solution for the latest AMD Athlon(tm) and Duron(tm) processors"

Um where did you get this information? The only reason I ask is because MSI shows the K7T266 PRO(which is there only board with VIA KT2666 listed on there web site) as Socket 370. Yes I said Socket 370 which means it is for the PIII not AMD CPU's. Someone made a error, either you or MSI and I hate finding these things because they really confuse me. I am guessing that the MSI site is wrong(what a example to set) because Stable replied and didnt say anything about it being a PIII system they were testing. stable please verify the board you are useing and let me know, so I can clear my head some. I really hope the MSI site isn't wrong though, because that shows poor attention to detail. And I need great attention to detail in my products. And if I am just not seeing it right and am completly off the wall here, go ahead and start the flamming

Someday I will stop asking all the questions!
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 27, 2001 10:15:55 PM

Hey, just posted for info on the K7 Master S, and then read this post . . . just call me "The Great Carsino!" (All right, for you younsters that's a reference to Johnny Carson and the All Night Show.

Gotta have one . . .
Steve
February 27, 2001 10:56:42 PM

hehe thx, try to find that board here. I think you will see where I was comming from. For some reason they havent added that board ehre and I was looking at the only board with KT266 chip listed on the page.

http://www.msicomputer.com/products/motherboard/motherb...

They need to get there act together.

February 28, 2001 2:08:34 AM

I do see where you were coming from. But I'm pretty sure that MSI's boards are designed a lot better than their website!

Anyway, Steve Benoit of Stable Technologies should be giving us the lowdown on this new KT266 board, as well aa how it compares to MSI's K7Master (and others) in about a week!

So hold onto your wallet until then!!!
a b V Motherboard
February 28, 2001 3:52:22 AM

What is your malfunction? The K7 Master S performs better and lacks VIA and all their problems, choosing the much superior AMD northbridge. Hello, if you like CRAP I have a few older pieces of VIA laying around that I can sell you.

Suicide is painless...........
February 28, 2001 8:51:58 AM

I will gladly take that "Via" crap off your hands.

Since it is just "lying around" and is such "crap" though, I was thinking about 5 or 10 bucks a mobo.

Let me know.
a b V Motherboard
February 28, 2001 1:26:50 PM

I'm a refurbisher. So I get paid for crap.

February 28, 2001 7:23:17 PM

Quote:
What is your malfunction? The K7 Master S performs better and <b>lacks VIA and all their problems</b>...

Good try Crashman, but no cigar. MSI's K7Master may have an AMD 761 Northbridge but <b>it still uses a VIA 686B Southbridge</b> (and that's the source of recent VIA issues)!!!
February 28, 2001 7:43:55 PM

BTW, judging from many other posts, I believe that most of VIA's continuing issues are specifically related to Win2K. From what I read, VIA's 4-in-1 (v4.28) drivers have made happy campers out of the Win9x/Me crowd.
a b V Motherboard
February 28, 2001 8:24:58 PM

OK, I went a little far on that one-it lacks all of VIA's memory and AGP timing issues. The PCI configuration problems will still be there, but most of the AMD guys claim that those do not exist anyway....

March 1, 2001 2:19:42 AM

New chip, less problems? right? I will run WIN98SE if that matters any.

a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2001 4:04:27 AM

From the test I've seen the K7 Master is the highest performing AMD solution yet. And I have not YET heard any negative reports on AMD's new northbridge.