Recommended phone with Verizon

Last response: in Network Providers
October 8, 2004 11:50:29 PM

Hi,

I am currently a Verizon customer and have been using a V60i for about 2
years now. I want to upgrade and was wanting some recommendations on phones.
I went to the Verizon store today and looked at several. They had LG,
Motorola, Samsung, Audiovox, etc. Maybe it's just the way the newer phones
are made, but most of them felt like they were made very cheaply. Anyway,
recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

--
Thanks
Anonymous

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 19:50:29 -0400, "Harris Stallings"
<hairstall@msn.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am currently a Verizon customer and have been using a V60i for about 2
>years now. I want to upgrade and was wanting some recommendations on phones.
>I went to the Verizon store today and looked at several. They had LG,
>Motorola, Samsung, Audiovox, etc. Maybe it's just the way the newer phones
>are made, but most of them felt like they were made very cheaply. Anyway,
>recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

In addition, it seems they put all these features in these new phones
that I don't want or can't use (like camera phones) because of where I
work.

All I want is a simple phone that can make and receive calls without
all the whistles and bells. For those who want them, that's fine. But
for the rest of us who'd rather have good voice quality and reception
rather than a color screen, a camera, or surfing the web, we need
those kinds of phones too.

I have a v60s phone and I like it for what it does and more
importantly what it does NOT do - excess baggage that's more of a
waste of my time and my money.

Dave
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 12:17:10 AM

The LG VX6000 is pretty sturdy. I have dropped it from the sun visor
in my pickup (it fell about 6 feet) a few times and no problems, just
a minor scratch or two. It landed on a stone driveway, and a blacktop
parking lot. Can't speak for the others, but this is a soid phone. I
use the 4500 when on call from work, and it feels no where near as
solid built as the 6000. Also no damage to the camera either time it
was dropped either.

<hairstall@msn.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am currently a Verizon customer and have been using a V60i for about 2
>years now. I want to upgrade and was wanting some recommendations on phones.
>I went to the Verizon store today and looked at several. They had LG,
>Motorola, Samsung, Audiovox, etc. Maybe it's just the way the newer phones
>are made, but most of them felt like they were made very cheaply. Anyway,
>recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
October 9, 2004 12:17:11 AM

You didn't say if analog capability was important to you.
The VX6000 doesn't have it. I am partial to LG and
Kyocera phones myself.

-Quick

NASCAR20 wrote:
> The LG VX6000 is pretty sturdy. I have dropped it from the sun visor
> in my pickup (it fell about 6 feet) a few times and no problems, just
> a minor scratch or two. It landed on a stone driveway, and a blacktop
> parking lot. Can't speak for the others, but this is a soid phone. I
> use the 4500 when on call from work, and it feels no where near as
> solid built as the 6000. Also no damage to the camera either time it
> was dropped either.
>

> On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 19:50:29 -0400, "Harris Stallings"
> <hairstall@msn.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am currently a Verizon customer and have been using a V60i for
>> about 2 years now. I want to upgrade and was wanting some
>> recommendations on phones. I went to the Verizon store today and
>> looked at several. They had LG, Motorola, Samsung, Audiovox, etc.
>> Maybe it's just the way the newer phones are made, but most of them
>> felt like they were made very cheaply. Anyway, recommendations would
>> be greatly appreciated.
October 9, 2004 3:52:36 AM

I have had audovox phone from Verizon for 4 years now. Im gonna put my vote
on one of those. I have never had a problem with one, and several of them
have survived launches across the yard many times in anger due to my short
fuse. The last one got thrown directly on the ground, the LCD busted, but
the phone worked well afterwards. I know you don't care, but it speaks for
durability. Also, it has been my experience that the Audiovox pick up
stronger signals than any of the other brands, even if you have no bars, you
can always place a call. Plus, they are tri-mode, which is imperative in my
oppinion. I have had the Audiovox CDM-9900 for just over a week. So far
its great, it's clear, good lighting, easy to read, and it has the best
display of anything Verizon sells. Hope this helps.

--
Jason

Texas A&M University
Class of 2002
"Harris Stallings" <hairstall@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am currently a Verizon customer and have been using a V60i for about 2
> years now. I want to upgrade and was wanting some recommendations on
> phones. I went to the Verizon store today and looked at several. They had
> LG, Motorola, Samsung, Audiovox, etc. Maybe it's just the way the newer
> phones are made, but most of them felt like they were made very cheaply.
> Anyway, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
>

> --
> Thanks

Anonymous
October 9, 2004 4:52:40 PM

In article <10me9m66kbtg046@corp.supernews.com>, hairstall@msn.com
says...
> Hi,
>
> I am currently a Verizon customer and have been using a V60i for about 2
> years now. I want to upgrade and was wanting some recommendations on phones.
> I went to the Verizon store today and looked at several. They had LG,
> Motorola, Samsung, Audiovox, etc. Maybe it's just the way the newer phones
> are made, but most of them felt like they were made very cheaply. Anyway,
> recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

In his NY Times technology column a few months ago, David Pogue tested
out as many phones as he could find, looking for basic phone features,
sans bells + whistles. His winner was the basic Kyocera model. I don't
know if Vz still offers it; we added a phone to our plan recently. The
default was a Kyocera - nice features, just like the older ones - but it
has a serious flaw: no extendable antenna. I find that feature
absolutely necessary where I live. We're not exactly out in the
boondocks, but neither are we in Manhattan. The little bump on the phone
is the GPS antenna.
!