Mobo restarting system?

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I have a Giga-byte GA-5AX motherboard. The system started to restart on me out of the blue. First I started to think it was the drivers for the monitor or the video card drivers becasue the display was bad and it seemed to go into Safe mode for the most part. I tried to uninstall the drivers and once I did everytime I would boot up it would restart before I could reinstall. I started to think it was the video card cause it seemed like it would do it whenever I would try to install the drivers and the display was really crapy. So I replaced it! Still the same issue. So I replaced the monitor with a newer one I had. Still the same problem!

To get to the point! I think it is the Motherboard (Maybe CMOS Battery) because every once and awhile on one of it's many re-boots the Bios resets to the defaults and I have to re-set it up. (I bought the mobo and processor used!) I checked all the jumper settings for the clock speed and the voltage for the CPU. Other then that there aren't any jumpers. Maybe the BIOS is bad? I have no clue! I have never had an issue like this before and the clues I have all lead to the Motherboard being the problem!

K6II 450mhz
Gigabyte Socket 7 Motherboard
Model # GA-5AX (R5.2) http://www.giga-byte.com
64mb PC-100 SDRAM
Enlight ATX Case (Very Nice//Brand New)
ATI 8mb Video Card
Soud Blaster
27.3 gig Maxtor Hdd.
40X Cd Rom Drive
Floppy Drive

If anyone has any Ideas I would really appreciate it!

Thank you,

Lars Coleman