Shooting for a gaming laptop.. will i be able to run crysis?

G

I'm going to save up about $1400 over the next couple months to buy a gaming laptop with the following specs:

ASUS G53JW-A1, Gaming Notebook (Black) - Intel Core i7-740QM, 15.6" FHD (1920x1080) LED, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M 1.5GB, DVD-writer, 802.11bgn, Bluetooth, 2.0M Webcam, USB 3.0, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit w/ Gaming Backpack & Gaming Mouse

or, the tl;dr version:

Intel Core i7-740QM
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M 1.5GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

honestly, i dont know much about building computers or whatever, i just want to f*cking experience the glory of crysis. If i find out that this isn't enough to run crysis maxed out, and that i need to spend another $500 to improve whatever, then F*CK it. the most i'm spending is $1500.

So guys, will this be enough for me to max out crysis?

G

"decently"?
are you being serious, dude? i'm spending nearly $1500 on this notebook to be able to run crysis "decently"?
can someone confirm this?

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Are you talking about Crysis - the game that will litterally bring almost any powerful computer to it's knees or Crysis 2, coming out soon?

If you're talking about Crysis 2, don't worry. It's a crappy console-port that looks almost exactly like CoD.

I just downloaded the Multiplayer Demo and it runs above 100fps at any time on my machine:

Intel Core 2 Quad 9550

8Gb DDR2 Hyper X memory

Gainward Golden Sample Geforce GTX 470.

If you're talking about Crysis 1 - Yes it will run fine, but don't expect wonders

If you're concerned about Crysis 2, don't be - It's ugly, lame and runs on the PS3 and Xbox 360 - which really says a lot about how shoddy it is.

G

F*ck. This.

There is no way that Crysis 1 just CAN'T run superbly on any computer.
what the hell does "It will run fine" mean? what can you do to the game to make it run GREAT? im talking like 40+ fps?

is there any computer that can run crysis at 40+ fps at the max graphics?

evilgenius134

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
This laptop may be able to manage 25fps at maxed at 1920x1080, mine; Radeon 5650 manages 20fps at medium at 1920x1080. Maybe less. Remember that laptop systems have massive bottlenecks in bus speeds and bandwidths, meaning that a 460M will perform no where near a desktop 460.

This is all of course without anti-aliasing.

Laptops are measured on a different scale to desktops, often extreme end laptops (3000+) comparable to med-high end gaming desktops(600+).

To get comparable performance you have to shoot way beyond your budget and often sacrifice portability (since they are often 17"+ and heavy), battery life (since a high end GPU will not work on battery power) and ventilation (they will overheat if they aren't placed correctly) as they at this point are marketed as desktop replacements.