KT7a-raid settings

G

While I'm very familiar with computer terms, I've been out of the loop for a while and I'm a little baffled by some of the settings in my new kt7a-raid mb book. Here's the rest of the system:

Overclocked tbird to 1.3-1.4
2x256 (512 megs) of generic PC133 (I plan to run @ 133)
Voodoo3 2000 (overclocked)
3com 905x NIC
USR 56k hardware modem
SBLive Value w/digital bracket
STB desktop tv tuner
Adaptec 2940uw

18 gig WD HD
27 gig maxtor hd
4.5 gig quantum scsi hd
plextor 40x cdrom
plextor 8/20 scsi cdr
pioneer 6x scsi dvd
ide zip

Here are the settings in question:
FSB speed - 133/44 is the fsb/pci speed given in the motherboard. Shouldn't the pci bus be 33 in this config? I know my 2940 doesn't like being overclocked at all.

Fast CPU Command Decode - Normal or Fast? Manual says Normal for stability.

CPU Drive Strength - Default is 2, leave 2 for greatest stability.

Enhance Chip Performance - Enabled sets the timing of the north and south bridge parameters more agressively. Default is disabled.

Force 4-way interleave - Default is disabled. Enabling tells the DRAM to run in 4-way interleave mode (what a stupid description!)

Enable Dram 4-way page mode - Default is disabled. If you choose enabled and the DRAM uses 64MBit technology, the 4k-page mode will increase your DRAM's speed. (ok?)

Bank 0/1, 2/3, 4/5 DRAM timing - choices of SDRAM 8/10ns (default), Normal, Medium, Fast, Turbo

Delay DRAM Read Latch - Auto, No Delay, 0.5ns 1.0ns, 1.5ns. Default is auto - Sets the time required to catch DRAM data. If the DRAM load is heavy for example, such as would be the case if you were to install three double side DRAM modules in the DIMM slots, you may need to choose a longer delay time for data reading. (leave auto?)

MD Driving Strength - Hi, Lo. Default is Hi. This setting lets you adjust the driving strength from the north bridge to the memory data line. If your memory loading is heavy, we suggest you choose Hi for better driving capability. (wtf is driving?)

PCI Master Pipeline Req - Disabled or Enabled. Def. is enabled.

P2C/C2P concurrency - dis or ena. def is ena.

fast r-w turnaround - dis or ena. def is ena.

Can someone explain the ramifications of these settings and which I should choose for my setup?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Too many questions to answer. Try the <A HREF="http://www.apushardware.com/?action=articles&id=44&order=&pos=0" target="_new">Abit KT7/KT7-RAID BIOS Guide</A> at www.apushardware.com. It has excellent descriptions of most KT7 BIOS settings which should also be applicable for the KT7A

Skirmash

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Re the FSB/PCI setting of 133/43.

This is a misprint. I was concerned about this,
but when I actually set the thing up, I got 133/33 NOT 133/43.

Hope this helps A bit :)

Skirmy