Abit dropped from AMD recommend motherboards

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just saw that AMD no longer recommends using Abit motherboards.

Has anyone heard why?

Can the Abit boards be too overclockable, cutting into the sale of high speed Athlons? Just speculating here.....

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
that's interesting, amd requested that asus take out their multiplier adjustment on the a7m266 and they did. I wonder if amd asked abit to do so, and when they didn't (thank u abit) amd got pissed...

i wonder....

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What!?!? no multiplier adjustment on the A7M266!?!?! What good is it then. Buy an unstable board and not have an option to overclock?? That's it I lost my faith in ASUS. I'm going to change my signature right now...

<font color=white> This new forum still sucks </font color=white>

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
at least it didn't have the dips on the rev i was about to buy, rev1.04, but i doubt that they will put them on later....

mm2k

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Whats all this!? I was just poised to buy the Abit KT7A-RAID, i've not heard any of this news... can anyone fill me in?

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Hey man, ASUS is the best company ever! You can still adjust the A7M266 in jumperless mode!

- I don't write Tom's Hardware Guide, I just preach it"

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, Abit got the boot. Glad I got the A7V.
There is an explanation why up at <A HREF="http://www.amdzone.com" target="_new">http://www.amdzone.com</A>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
He he he, tomorrow they are going to remove Asus as well? So what's next then, sigh. I wonder why Intel does not have any "recommended" hardware sites? Probably they are making sure their chips work with everything in the right order. Or even promote some help to hardware guys, so they make their stuff better to comply with Pentium. If AMD is going just screw those guys up, they will split up with AMD for good and will go Intel only as I see it... as far as it goes my KT7A still boots up fine. And I think this is the last AMD system I have. Screw them as they do us... sigh

K7 + KT7A + MX300 + VooDoo3000 = :smile:
P3 + CUSL2-C + MX300 + Asus7700 = :smile:

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey man, ASUS is the best company ever! You can still adjust the A7M266 in jumperless mode!
No, you can't. There is no multiplier adjustments on the A7M266, not in the BIOS, and not on the mainboard. The BIOS setting was disabled and the DIP switches were omitted from the board.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As an update, originally www.amdzone.com had posted an email from Abit as an explanation as to why they got removed from the list. Now www.amdzone.com has taken down that email at the request of Abit. I guess Abit is trying to control the damage.

dhlucke

Polypheme
<font color=red>"Well Abit just called me from Taiwan. Yep, at about 6:30am, sleepy, can't type. Anyway, they requested that I remove Alan's post with the e-mail from AMD about their KT7 series being removed from AMD's recommended list, which it has. I am supposed to receive some official update about the situation later today. Apparently it involves some changes in AMD's testing procedure. Unfortunately I can not speak from experience with their KT7, KT7 RAID, KT7A, or KT7A RAID, the boards which I assume were the potential boards removed from the AMD list, since I have been unable to get test samples of these boards. If you wish to know the status of these boards stay tuned and we will post details later, or check out our forum for peoples experience with these boards. I did test the KA7, which I did approve of."</font color=red>

So, are asus and abit not going to be overclockable, or are they just not good boards, or what is the final verdict? The removal of the dipswitches on the a7m basically removes that board from my wish list...

"I think I brained my damage"

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Abit and Asus are from Taiwan, right, and still Intel does not care how much they can push Pentiums in overclocking. I have not seing anything on their website saying "we do not support these motherboards". They even promote them. For the CPU overclocking: you burn one CPU, you go buy another one, and as I can see it, it would be ever better for the CPU business. Or am I wrong?

It's not too late yet... :wink:

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The AMDZone post says it has nothing to do with overclocking features but with a booting problem. I think you dudes were getting a bit preemptive on that one... To me, if AMD cared so much about stopping overclocking, they wouldn't have any of the overclocker mobos on their recommended list to begin with...

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
This was posted at <A HREF="http://www.amdzone.com" target="_new">www.amdzone.com</A> as of today, March 2, 2001.

"After talking with Abit and AMD I now have some more answers about the Abit Socket A boards being pulled from the AMD motherboard recommended list. AMD has found that some boards have a problem soft rebooting when using high speed CPUs. They have to be hard rebooted instead in many cases. This does not just apply to only the Abit boards. So that is the only reason why the Abit boards were removed. This is no other known problem. If you are having this problem contact who you bought the board from. Most motherboard companies do support directly to the resellers, and not the end users."

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That is completely true statement on AMDs hand. I did not even thought about it at first. I had to return KT7 and get KT7A because it was rebooting when I was installing something and tried to click on something else in the windows. That is true, agree, good job AMD. KT7A does not have that problem though, but anyway, I shell be getting rid of all AMD stuff next week. Sigh...

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Read my post again!

The Abit boards would <b>NOT SOFT BOOT</b>, requiring the users to hit the reset button when they want to re-boot.

Your system re-booting on it's own is an entirely different and isolated issue.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 03/03/01 00:13 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Read my post again!

I was not talking about AMDs stuff about the problem about the soft reboot; I was talking about my own problem (but related to "rebooting" one they are talking about which is true about the soft reboot). It was soft rebooting on its own for that matter I am talking about. I did not have problem rebooting it through the Start, Run thing...as they are talking about, so the thing that I am talking about is the same thing about the soft rebooting which they are talking about, but different case, not the one you are thinking about. If I have different case but the same problem it is my own business what I am talking about, not the stuff that I have to follow to “yer” post where you pasted the stuff that they are talking about. You see what I am talking about? The case is the same but cause is different I am talking about. So what ever you are talking about, it is not the same I am talking about. So there is nothing more to talk about.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
...and I am saying AMD dropped Abit mobos from the recommended list because they wouldn't reliably soft reboot. <b>Not because of your problem</b>. Not because of any other problem.

G

I read this over on the amdmb.com forums, this is something that a guy who goes by the name of Powerhungry writes:

"Ip, I got a response from someone named Alex from Abit who says the reason why AMD dropped the Abit boards from the approved list was that Abit stopped shipping the KT7 and KT7-Raid in favor of the KT7A and KT7A-Raid and that AMD had not gotten their samples of these newer boards.

They expect them to be added to the approved list soon."

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I don't know if we will learn the truth with absolute certainty. However, I tend to accept the explanation at <A HREF="http://www.amdzone.com" target="_new">http://www.amdzone.com</A> (see my first post). Chris Tom claims to have spoken to both AMD and Abit on this matter.