BIOS Woes a7v

G

Ok, this is my first time building a system from the ground up. Before we start, here are my specs.
AMD athlon 950
256 MB RAM
Asus A7v
Ati Radeon 64mb DDR
Plextor 8x cd-r <master>
Creative 12x DVD <slave>
Soundblaster Live xgamer 5.1
---
Ok here's the nitty, Ive installed all of the components and the system boots into bios no problem. The problem, is that I cant get the windows ME cd to load after I am done setting up bios. It just says "Boot disk error, please insert boot disk and press enter" Do I need a floppy disk to boot, or should this thing just recognise the Windows cd thats in the drive?? BTW the bios recognises all of the devices , so I dont see where the problem is.
I tried using a floppy disk, but then it just reads the disk but sits there with a blinking underscore.... SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I LOSE MY MIND ;)

Thanks In advance-

Pier Posthumus

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
k, i'm not too sure if you can use the win ME cd as a boot cd. BUT, if you can, make sure you enable "boot from cd-rom" in the bios (or some similar phrase)

if you can't use the winME cd as a boot cd, you'll need to make a boot disk with a floppy disk, boot to a dos prompt, insert your ME cd , then probably type in d:install or setup. (you cd rom may not be d: though, could be e: or something else)

BUT, before you install, (at least with win98) you'll have to set an active partition on the hard drive using fdisk, then format the hard drive. AGain, this is all for a win 98 install, i'm not too sure about winME, although it's probably the same.

Shocwavez

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
won't he need to create the boot disk from a pc that already has WIN 98/ME or is there a way to do that without?

:tongue: <font color=green> I LOVE INTEL. It tastes like chicken </font color=green>

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Also since u just built your system be sure to get all the latest drivers and BIOS.
You and get 1005C at <A HREF="http://www.asus.com.tw/products/motherboard/bios_socka.html" target="_new">http://www.asus.com.tw/products/motherboard/bios_socka.html</A>
Cya

<font color=green>Paranoia is just a higher awareness of reality.</font color=green>

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yeah, i think a boot disk is in order, although i thought i heard that they may have made the winME cd-rom a bootable cd.
I always boot from cd, i don't even have a floppy drive...mine packed it in along time ago ...:)

mbaha

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Also make sure nothing is hooked up to your ata 100 connectors right now they don't work until you load the drivers in windows. Also check to make sure that you are using the black ide cables not the blue ones they are for the ata 100 controller. Then go it to your bios and set it to boot of your Cdrom and yes win me will boot from the cd and no you don't have to set any partitions as long as you have fresh HD.
Let me know if that helps
mbaha

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
that's really odd... on 2 of the system i built with a7v, ata66 HD (maxtor), i used the blue ata100 ribbons and they worked fine.
Maybe you got a faulty cable?