Sign in with
Your question

Why is it around 10 FPS?

Last response: in Video Games
March 8, 2011 10:49:35 PM

I got a new computer few days before thanksgiving in 2010 and I got this Sony computer as a gift and it was normal $700 but I got it for $580. Now my question is why is Crysis 2 multiplayer demo have only around 10 FPS or 12 FPS when I play it on 800x600 and on Gamer sys spec? If there is a way I can make the game run better I would really appreciate it. If it can run at least around 20 FPS then it will be playable for me since I can play around 20 FPS or more.

Here are specs for my Sony VPC-EB3QFX

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3 - 370M (2.40GHz)

Motherboard: Arrandale

Graphics Card: Intel® HD Graphics 1.7 GB

Memory: 4 GB DDR3/1066MHz

Hard Drive: 320 GB 5400rpm Serial ATA

Optical Drive: TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633C

Display: 15.5" Back Light Technology: LED

Sound Card: Intel® High Definition Audio

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit

More about : fps

March 8, 2011 11:05:25 PM

The graphics card is not intended for playing high end games like Crysis 2. You'd need to upgrade it, if you can.
m
l
March 8, 2011 11:55:32 PM

Is there a way I can somehow make it run little better? Will having 8 GB of system ram help? If there are other ways that would be great. I have a notebook so I can't really upgrade my video card. I wanted to find ways I can do it without upgrading the video card. All I know if right now I have 4 GB or ram and I can go upto 8 GB total.
m
l
Related resources
March 9, 2011 1:54:43 AM

There might be ways you can squeeze a few more FPS out of it but I'm not sure, someone else will have to help with that. As far as I know 4GB RAM is more then enough and adding more will not help.

m
l
March 9, 2011 3:21:58 AM

you don't need more ram. Your processor is slow, you don't have a graphics card and the HD is slow. Quickest fix is a graphics card but don't expect too much inre to "super" gaming.
m
l
March 9, 2011 3:22:02 PM

Quote:
you need a monitor that can run 1080p and a gpu to run games at 1080p like the Gtx 460 or 6850. Don't worry about your cpu its fine if you can oc it to 3Ghz. But at high resolutions games are more gpu dependant.

Thats a laptop, you can tell from the parts.

Dallas84 that laptop wont be able to play Crysis 2 no matter what you do, the intergrated graphics card (Intel HD) is equlivant to something high end from 6-7 years ago. Adding more RAM wont help either.

Some laptops have an upgradeable graphics card if they use the MXM standard. I have seen some external graphics card that attach via the Expresscard 34 slot, they perform alot better, but are expensive and I think you need to use an External monitor for it to do anything.
m
l
March 9, 2011 7:13:22 PM

yeah I ran laptops for a wile and spopped you could play WoW on that lol Crysis 2 will never play you could try lowering the graphics quality all the way down and see what happens. If you can get it up 2 25 FPS that way that will be playable(not enjoyable playable lol)
m
l
March 9, 2011 7:39:47 PM

glad you guys caught that. I don't know anything (sorta) about laptops.
m
l
March 11, 2011 7:00:23 PM

I actualy found out something but my pings are kinda high like around 150 or 170 so I wonder if that's the real reason why I had only around 10 FPS. I seen some peoples pings are like 40 or so and that's alot better. I do have cable high speed internet but I wonder why my pings are kinda high like dial up. I remember around 10 years agao when I played Quake 3 Arena I had pings around 180 or lowest is around 150 and I had dial up that time. When I got cable and played that came my pings were like around 80 or 50 sometimes lower it depends.
m
l
March 11, 2011 7:24:27 PM

Dallas84 said:
I actualy found out something but my pings are kinda high like around 150 or 170 so I wonder if that's the real reason why I had only around 10 FPS. I seen some peoples pings are like 40 or so and that's alot better. I do have cable high speed internet but I wonder why my pings are kinda high like dial up. I remember around 10 years agao when I played Quake 3 Arena I had pings around 180 or lowest is around 150 and I had dial up that time. When I got cable and played that came my pings were like around 80 or 50 sometimes lower it depends.

your FPS in that game on that computer have nothing or little to do with your pings you have a laptop with integrated graphics. Those are great fro schol work and that sort of thing. However they are not for games at all. You can prob play some 2d games flash based games and mayby so games like world of warcraft if you turn all the setting down as low as they go. But Crysis 1 or 2 will not happen on your computer sorry. :sweat: 
m
l
March 11, 2011 7:36:41 PM

Well when I play Crysis I get around 20 to 22 FPS and some areas like when I look up at the sky I get 30. I can when I look up at the sky on Crysis 2 I get around 15 or 18 FPS. It seems like Crysis 2 uses more graphics unless is there a way to lower it so it's like Crysis the original on low setting? If Crysis 2 can play low as the low settings on Crysis then it's playable for me.
m
l
March 11, 2011 8:06:27 PM

well if you can get 20 FPS and enjoy playing the game great :)  Looking at the sky give better FPS because there isnt alot for the system to process up there lol. The reason I say you cant play the game on your laptop is alot of ppl would find it hard to play a game getting 20FPS. If that is good for you then enjoy
m
l
March 11, 2011 8:13:03 PM

I was supprised but on Crysis 2 just now when I was in the level called Skyline I was in the building and in the lockers room and I was facing towards it and I actualy got around 23 FPS. But mostly when I' am outside I get around 10 to 12 FPS on Crysis 2. I wish it was around 20 FPS then it's more playable. But oh well I guess since it seems like I can't get any better than this. Hopefully Intel will come out with better drivers and it would improve the FPS little better.
m
l
March 11, 2011 8:24:48 PM

Dallas84 said:
I was supprised but on Crysis 2 just now when I was in the level called Skyline I was in the builden and in the lockers room and I was facing towards it and I actualy got around 23 FPS. But mostly when I' am outside I get around 10 to 12 FPS on Crysis 2. I wish it was around 20 FPS then it's more playable. But oh well I guess since it seems like I can't get any better than this. Hopefully Intel will come out with better drivers and it would improve the FPS little better.

If sell laptop you might get enough for an xbox 360 and that will play Crysis 2 @ about 30 fps.
m
l
March 11, 2011 8:26:10 PM

I could be wrong but with the integrated graphics thats about as good as it gets. They make something that lets you add a better GPU to your laptop but that cost so much you mine as well just build a desktop lol
m
l
March 11, 2011 11:06:00 PM

Well I don't have money to buy a better machine. I was lucky that I got this one as a gift from my mom and my moms best friend and my grandparents. So basicly they gave me $600 to spend on anything and I needed a new computer since my old Sony notebook was 9 years old and it's slow. I was original going to get the Toshiba laptop that had a triple core and had a ATI Radeon 4250 graphics card but many people said that Sony is made more durable and they last longer and don't have problems in the long run. So that's why I decided to buy the Sony notebook. Also my old Sony notebook is 9 years old and still works good as new. I had to only do some minor repairs on it like get a new CD drive and also just needed to get a new battery and hard drive. But today everything works good as new on my old Sony. I use that one as a backup machine. I use my new Sony notebook mainly now.

Anyways I heard people say that everytime a new driver comes up it improves the performance of the video card so I think that maybe in 5 months from now or so if they make newer drivers it will make my games run smoother. All I know if that I have the Intel HD graphics which is still current since the older video cards was the X4500MHD and that is not good as mine. Also today Intel had the new Intel HD 2000 and 3000 but still they group all of the Intel HD drivers the same so they will continue to update the Intel HD series drivers.
m
l
March 11, 2011 11:12:09 PM

If you have 10 - 12 FPS now you'd need like a 100% improvement for it to be playable. I've never heard of a driver adding 100% performance to a card.

If I was you I'd save up for a PC or even an Xbox 360 if you just want to play games.
m
l
March 11, 2011 11:25:54 PM

Well it doesn't have to be 100% but I just want it to be little better than now so at least I can move better. Like maybe in few years it would be 50% or so better when new drivers comes out. I don't think in few months will make any difference much but in few years like 3 or 4 years later I think the drivers will be alot better and the games will run better.

It seems like the Intel HD graphics is a entry-level discrete graphics card. But can entry-level graphics card play Crysis 2? Or are entry-level graphics cards not that good and that's why I get only around 10 or 12 FPS?
m
l
March 12, 2011 12:12:37 AM

The Intel HD Graphics isnt even entry level for gaming graphics, is is much much lower. An entry level card would be like a 5670 and that is much better than Intel HD.

Intel HD Graphics was designed for word processing, watching videos, playing flash games and thats it. It was never designed to take that kind of work load Crysis 2 is giving it.
To sum it all up there is nothing you can do to increase the frame rate, what you are getting is the best that chip can do, it wont improve, and driver updates wont help either (Intel rarely released updates).

To be able to play games on any computer you would need a dedicated graphics card which adds a few hundred dollars onto the price.

If I had Intel HD graphics and was getting 20 FPS I would be happy, as I didnt think that chip could even do that.
m
l
March 12, 2011 3:23:29 AM

As I said befor if you are happy stay that way but thinking about how to improve your gaming performance on that lap top is just a waste of time energy and brainpower. I dont know how old you are but If you can get a part time job you would be better off saving $20 a month untill you can get a desktop for gameing. You could make a decent one for around $500 if you build it yourself.
m
l
March 12, 2011 9:11:27 PM

Well Intel said that the Intel HD is a entry-level discrete graphics card. So it can play games on low settings. All I know is that Intel also said that the Intel HD is way better than the X4500MHD so that means if I played Crysis 2 on the 4500MHD it would be very laggy. But forsure Intel said that the Intel HD graphics cards are entry-level discrete graphics cards. They did say some people agree and some will not agree but they are forsure entry-level discrete graphics card. They say that they have gotten alot better than there past models. They said when they made the Intel i3, i5 and i7 they really changed the way how they made the video card and the processor etc. I' am glad I didn't get the older model like the Intel Core 2 Duo since that had like 4500MHD which was really not good compaired to the Intel HD graphics card.
m
l
March 13, 2011 4:27:55 PM

The bottom line really, is that your lap top is not built for gaming. It's actually terrible for gaming. There will be no way for you to get more performance out of that in terms of games running better. Most Laptops are not made for gaming. (Of course the GAMING laptops are). I don't know how many people have to tell you that you can't get any more FPS out of it before you believe them.
m
l
March 14, 2011 3:30:02 PM

i dont mean to throw salt on the wound and I may be wrong, but most people dont NEED a laptop. So if you wanted to play games and you only had a $600 price limit you could have built a $500 entry level gaming rig with a decent 2core amd or intel cpu and something like a HD5770. THAT setup would have allowed you to play anygame you want at playable FPS, you would have to turn some stuff down but after tweaking the in game settings you could get very playable performance. Also you would have a platform that would allow you to upgrade in the future. TRUST ME i had laptops for quite some time mostly to play WoW, and they did fine for that but I just built my first gaming rig ( i was a bit concerned because I had never done it and had no help other than these forums). First it was way easy and I had only minor driver issues because I didnt do a fresh install of windows 7. I stopped getting laptops because they are underpowered when you first get them not to mention 6 months to a year later. Add the fact that other than ram and a HDD you cant update them and that makes for a bad investment. So if you need a laptop you got one play what you can and save for a real gaming rig. If you dont NEED one make your next purchase a desktop, when your ready come on here ask for help people will help you choose good components and help you with any issues you may have wile building your computer, and when your done you will have a purpose built custom gaming rig that you can be proud of because YOU built it. It will be in the case YOU like with the performance YOU want.
m
l
March 18, 2011 7:26:32 PM

Look Dallas ! i have same computer u have but pc and going to buy a GTS 450 but first of all u have windows 7 and it reads 128 Mb from the HD graphics i also have it , :non:  but u should install windows xp on another partition and then u will have 1 GB of Video Ram then u can play as u want with avg 40 / 45 fps
m
l
March 19, 2011 11:33:30 PM

Dallas84 said:
Well Intel said that the Intel HD is a entry-level discrete graphics card. So it can play games on low settings. All I know is that Intel also said that the Intel HD is way better than the X4500MHD so that means if I played Crysis 2 on the 4500MHD it would be very laggy. But forsure Intel said that the Intel HD graphics cards are entry-level discrete graphics cards. They did say some people agree and some will not agree but they are forsure entry-level discrete graphics card. They say that they have gotten alot better than there past models. They said when they made the Intel i3, i5 and i7 they really changed the way how they made the video card and the processor etc. I' am glad I didn't get the older model like the Intel Core 2 Duo since that had like 4500MHD which was really not good compaired to the Intel HD graphics card.

Sorry i have to be so harsh but you needed a reality check. Are you f*cking kidding me? intel does NOT make discrete video cards! "intel said it was" f#ck off. the only discrete gfx card intel has made was an i740 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel740 back before nvidia geforce was invented. Basically any intel graphics chip can not play games well at all. you should have gone for something with AMD or Nvidia graphics if you wanted to play games. Also, laptops are mostly rubbish for games, get a desktop pc for that. You have a slow ass intelgfx chip, so get over it ang go play a 5 year old game that will run.
m
l
March 21, 2011 5:40:29 PM

Yeah a few things like others have said ....That laptop will never play crysis 2 at playable settings. Also ...drivers are not intended to give you better graphics on dedicated graphics. When people say update the driver on your video card or wherever you may have read its for DEDICATED graphics. No miracle driver is going to come out that makes the game playable. 12 fps at 800x600 = save up $300 and buy an xbox 360. youll be running the game at 30fps at 1080.
m
l
March 21, 2011 6:31:00 PM

Ch4e said:
Look Dallas ! i have same computer u have but pc and going to buy a GTS 450 but first of all u have windows 7 and it reads 128 Mb from the HD graphics i also have it , :non:  but u should install windows xp on another partition and then u will have 1 GB of Video Ram then u can play as u want with avg 40 / 45 fps

Telling him to install XP on a separate partition is just helping him to not realize his laptop was not meant for gaming. The only way that helps is XP will use less ram. So at that point he mine as well just upgrade the ram but that wont do anything to get him playing gamesin the end I think the best solution was envymert telling him to by an xbox lol or Ill say sell the lap top for 400 take the 300 for the x box and build a nice $700 gaming rig that will beat an x box . lol
m
l
!