Sign in with
Your question

First Build Complete, Which Games?

Last response: in Video Games
March 10, 2011 1:25:31 AM

Hello Everyone,
I recently built my first computer! I had one minor set back, but all told I couldn't be happier. The next question is how to put it to good use. I have a Steam account from my last POS computer, but only have CSS. As expected, it runs great on my new build. The question now is what else should I play. I used to play Star Craft back in the day so I think I will pick up a copy of SC2. As for FPS, I downloaded the Crysis 2 demo and have been playing that some. It hasn't gotten great reviews on here, but I have nothing to compare it to. My system includes the following:

AsRock Extreme 3 870 Mobo
AMD Phenom II 955 BE CPU
G. Skill Ripsaw 4 Gb (2x2Gb) memory
XFX Radeon 6870 BE GPU
XFX 650W PSU
OCZ Agility 2 60Gb SSD
Samsung F3 1Tb HDD
Windows 7 64bit

I have a Hyper 212+ cooler coming in the mail, but for now it is not OC'd. My monitor's native resolution is only 1360x768, so needs to be upgraded too. Crysis 2 runs on hardcore settings at this resolution pretty well. So I guess my question is: What do you play and why? Also, is it worth waiting for Crysis 2 to come out or is the original a better game?
Thanks!

More about : build complete games

March 10, 2011 3:54:47 AM

The mass effect series are pretty good :) 
m
l
March 10, 2011 5:37:36 AM

Firstly, I would really recommend that you get yourself a 1080p LCD. The difference will be brilliant! Your setup can easily handle that resolution. Consider getting a 23 inch LCD for a truly amazing gaming experience. As someone here at Tom's very wisely told me (back in my younger days!), a monitor upgrade is the best way to enhance your gaming experience.

As for Crysis 2, it'll be leagues better than the original as far as graphics go.

Having said that, have you trid games like the Half-Life 2 series? Not too demanding qua computer requirements but a must have for all FPS gamers, imo. Also, try the following:

Battlefield Bad Company 2
Aliens v. Predators
Dead Space 1 and 2
Metro 2033 (one of the most demanding games today)
Far Cry 2
Call of Duty, 4, 5 and 6

Try these and see...
m
l
Related resources
March 10, 2011 6:13:00 AM

HomeFront looks nice also.
m
l
March 10, 2011 8:35:21 PM

Ya, definitely treat yourself to a large format ws 1080p monitor. Your system should be able to play most of today's games at the highest settings.

Darksiders is the one that I have been playing most recently and I have been enjoying it. It has a good mix of fighting with some light RPG elements.

Bulletstorm was fun and had some nice graphics. Any time you get scored on how you kill, and not how many, it's always a good time.

If you haven't played Batman Arkham Asylum, yet, you should! Great game. Check out reviews on every gaming site... very well received.
m
l
March 10, 2011 10:39:25 PM

Take a look at steam and direct to drive also they sometimes have really good sales.
m
l
March 13, 2011 1:58:52 AM

Ever though of getting the Orange box it contains the halif-life series, L4D series, Portal, Team Fortress 2 and other valve games. Some multiplatform games such Devil May Cry 4/5, Darksiders, Batman Arkham Asylum, Mirrors edge and Just cause 2 are pretty great, lots of positive reviews about them.
m
l
March 13, 2011 3:46:26 AM

namelessonez said:

As for Crysis 2, it'll be leagues better than the original as far as graphics go.

Sorry, but a console port better in graphics than the original?!?!?!

I hope you are right, but looking at the demo, I serious doubt it.
m
l
March 14, 2011 5:18:10 AM

Trialsking said:

I do believe that the demo isn't the real deal on the main game. It doesn't have all the features, including DX11, tessellation, etc. It's DX9 or 10, if I'm not wrong. Plus, many other features are not available in the demo. I do remember coming across a statement by Crytek saying that they haven't 'forgotten' about the PC version. They also said that they knew what a breakthrough the first one was for the PC and how it makes a difference. I'm still looking for that read and will post it if I get it.

Personally, I'm quite hopeful and positive that Crytek won't do what Rockstar did with GTA IV. :) 
m
l
March 14, 2011 11:25:13 AM

Trialsking said:

The Crysis 2 demo doesn't look amazing, although the engine itself does. Basing off of the engine, Crysis 2 may look extremely better then the console demo we received for pc.

Ones I agree with are:
Just Cause 2
Batman Arkham Asylum
Mirrors Edge
Devil May Cry 4
Homefront
Metro 2033

Others I suggest:
Dawn of War II: Retribution
Arma II
Wings of Prey
Fear 2
Far Cry 2

Although I find Far Cry 2 boring in the long run, you may enjoy the game. Titles like Dawn of war are well known, and I enjoy them very much. Arma II is a military simulator, where as Wings of Prey is a combat flight simulator. Fear 2 isn't very demanding, but looks stunning for how well it performs to me.
m
l
March 14, 2011 12:59:35 PM

Company of Heroes. Wait for it to be reduced in a Steam sale. That one's always being reduced and it's awesome.
m
l
March 14, 2011 4:36:35 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll definitely be checking some of these out
m
l
!