BIOS Setup Question

G

Every time I go into my bios menu, my cpu speed is set to 500 mhz which isn't correct. I have a 1.2 ghz cpu, but there are two in the list when I go to change it. Does it matter which I choose??.. Probably not but I already fried one chip so I'm takin it sloow..

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Something is definately set wrong. What's you MB? What BIOS version? Jumper or Jumperless configuration? What RAM are you using (Please specify brand, make and model) What CPU are you using a 200MHz or 266MHz? Give me some more details and I (and the others in the forum) will try to nail down your problem.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

G

I have a KT7-A RAID motherboard, an AMD Athlon 1.2 Ghz Thunderbird, Industry Standard PC-133 SDRAM, BIOS version 6.0 PG...... Dont think I stated my problem correctly. I have to clear the CMOS to get the computer to boot up at all. After I go into the BIOS setup and save the CMOS, the computer refuses to boot up again until I clear the CMOS again. I checked a website and it told me to check the processor speed setting. When I looked at the processor speed, it was set to 500 MHz and gave me the option to change it by selecting the proper speed from a list. In this list there are 2 selections for 1200 MHz. Which one do I choose or does it matter?... There are also 2 selections for 1000 MHz if that matters.

G

Oops forgot to say that I had 512 mb of that ram and I got the info about changing the speed from Paul's Unofficial ABIT KT7 FAQ:http://www.apushardware.com/faqs/kt7faq/kt7faq.htm. Here is the question and answer they give but they do not specify which 1200MHz option to pick, the first or the second:

Why does my system fail to start after a hardware reset?

This problem can usually be corrected by manually setting the CPU speed in the SoftMenuIII of the BIOS.