cpujunky

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
(First off, thank you for reading my post. I appreciate any and all help you can give me. This is a lot less painful than getting raped for labor charges at a Tech shop.)

A month or so ago I bought an ASUS A7V motherboard and an AMD Duron 650mhz cpu. I put it all together and it worked fine. Soon after I used the pencil trick to unlock it and using the jumper-mode got it stable at 850mhz or so. Last week I decided to give the combo to my girlfriend and buy a new DDR board and CPU. I figured I'd switch it back to Jumper-free mode to make it 100 percent stable, but found it wouldn't boot (yes, all the dip switches were set back to off). I assumed that this was possibly because I "unlocked it" and it couldn't auto detect the cpu type, so I went ahead and kept it in jumpermode but at 650mhz.

Today, after using the system for only a couple days, she called me to say it wouldn't boot. I went over and found that turning it on resulted in a siren type beep error (2 pitches, de-do-de-do continuously) and that the monitor wouldn't display anything. I figured something may have been bumped loose, so I opened it up and checked it out, but nothing worked. I took the CPU out and looked at it for any problems. When I initially installed the CPU for myself, I used too much arctic silver thermal grease, so I wiped off any excess I could and re-did the pencil trick thinking maybe it had worn off. Still wouldn't boot. I then tried messing with the jumpers some more and finally it booted at 588mhz. Turned it off, messed with it some more, and finally got it back to 650mhz. It booted fine and I then turned it off and back on again to assure it was working. We left and came back a few hours later to find when I turned it on, it wouldn't start at all, and this time it didn't give the beep errors.

Thats where I am now. It may be the CPU went bad or perhaps is just too covered in thermal grease. Since artic-silver is not suppose to be conductive, and considering I've never had this problem before, I can't imagine thats it. I can go out and get a duron 700 or so for like $60, but I wanted to check here first.

Is there anyway to undo the pencil trick so I can use jumper-free mode again (or should jumper-free mode still be working)? Whats the easiest way to get all the extra thermal grease off? Whats the siren bios error code mean (I can't seem to find it anywhere).

Thank you very much for reading this long post, but the more info you have the better ;) I appreciate any advice you have.

JohnJohn

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Try Clearing your Cmos witht he Jumper.
Had mine do that when I overclocked it
got my 800 up to 850 heh then it would lock up
and did what your describing so I clear the Cmos
and it booted again fine. Just had to redo my Bios
settings. This might work not sure.
Also did you erase all the lead off the jumpers from the pencil.