Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How long would an xbox 360 go?

Last response: in Video Games
March 11, 2011 3:40:44 AM

I am pc gamer and curious to know why a pc needs regular updates after every 6-8 months on average to play latest games while a console lasts several years..

Also is it good idea to buy a xbox 360 now as more and more good games are coming to consoles..But the thing is it was launched in 2006 and its pretty old now..or should wait for newer generation consoles like PS4 or so(I don't know when they will be released but I am afraid that if i buy a xbox 360,it will get out of date like pc) :cry: 

More about : long xbox 360

March 11, 2011 2:16:58 PM

Depends how much you like or play games and you need to look at the xbox360 exclusives and see if there is enough of them to make the whole console worth buying. While your buying a console thats been out for most of its lifetime that also means you will get it cheaper than when it was lauchned so its not all bad ;p

PCs dont NEED upgrades every 6 months or even every year to play the latest games, if you buy the right stuff its not as costly (compared to console gaming) or frustrating as people make you believe. With a PC you might need to turn the graphics down in a couple of years but it will still look a lot better than the console version.
m
l
March 11, 2011 4:00:05 PM

When you hear people saying things like, "I want to crossfire/Sli my card!" It's not on the basis that they need a second or pricier card to play that game, most do it on the urge that they want to upgrade rather then being forced to do so.

I want to buy a new card and cpu, my 5770 plays everything fine for the most part, but I just have that urge to get something better. My Athlon needs an upgrade though, as it renders so slowly in cinema 4D and Maya.

I wouldn't buy the xbox 360 or ps3 simply on the basis that: A better console will come out in 2012, so wait a bit before deciding. A computer on the other hand is needed, simply as it multi tasks so well.
m
l
Related resources
March 11, 2011 6:33:05 PM

but we see that xbox 360 was launched in 2k6 and a pc built in same year cannot co-op with xbox 360.also more good games are heading towards consoles like gears of war2,halo reach etc..So,should i wait for a newer-generation console or get the one right now??
m
l
March 11, 2011 7:45:38 PM

In my opinion the reason console gamers say you need to upgrade every 6 months or so is because they assume that you have to play every game on max settings. You can play below max settings still have much better visuals then a console game plus the added benefit of mods, custom maps, better controls and in some cases free DLC where as the console gamers have to pay for it.

As for should you buy one, if you don't mind the graphics and want the exclusives then go for it, although it is due time for a new console to come out and I think we may see one next year.
m
l
March 11, 2011 8:11:27 PM

See there is a logical fallacy in this statement. In all reality you could play any game on the market at "at the time i bought my pc graphics card" level for years on end. The thing is your going to be stuck at that technology point. You can load up new games on old systems and turn the detail levels down to the quality that was standard when that PC was built and play the game.

People want to play the newest games at the highest quality. The highest quality generally pushes the technology envelop and thus requires an upgrade. You don't NEED to upgrade every 6 - 8 months. I held onto my 6800/8800 for 2 - 3 years a piece and I only upgrade because I WANTED to get more performance not because I was hampered.

The reason PC gaming is "expensive" in a sense is because it becomes a competition between you and your games and you and your friends. I've probably spent thousands upgrading my PC when I did NOT need to.

darksmart said:
I am pc gamer and curious to know why a pc needs regular updates after every 6-8 months on average to play latest games while a console lasts several years..

Also is it good idea to buy a xbox 360 now as more and more good games are coming to consoles..But the thing is it was launched in 2006 and its pretty old now..or should wait for newer generation consoles like PS4 or so(I don't know when they will be released but I am afraid that if i buy a xbox 360,it will get out of date like pc) :cry: 

m
l
March 11, 2011 9:05:19 PM

I got my 8800 GTS 640 when it first came out in 2006 and kept until just last year. That was nearly 4 yrs. I could play any game an xbox could at higher quality and I still could if I had it. In fact it is still going strong now with a friend who I gave it too.

Bottom line is that if you get decent quality parts your PC can last 4+ years and still have lots of fun gaming. But you also have to remember that you will also have PC to, and not just a gaming machine. You can do lots of things a game console could never do.
m
l
March 11, 2011 11:20:24 PM

darksmart said:
but we see that xbox 360 was launched in 2k6 and a pc built in same year cannot co-op with xbox 360.also more good games are heading towards consoles like gears of war2,halo reach etc..So,should i wait for a newer-generation console or get the one right now??

Like I said, wait for the next gen. Of course you'll probably end up paying 400-600$ for the new console.
If we tell you to get a gaming computer, regardless of you building it yourself or buying a pre-built; I have a feeling you'll try and stick with, "Nah, I want a console. Thanks for your (Not needed) help guys!"
m
l
March 12, 2011 2:00:50 AM

^disagree

The next generation of consoles will be years away..2yrs minimum. Next gen systems don't come out until current ones are around $149.What are they now $299. Each system has a very good hold on a decent piece of pie. They know if they get greedy too soon they will forfeit the game. Don't hold your breath.

Besides, he's asking; why do pc's need constant upgrades to keep up, and is it too late to invest in a 360. He aint asking if pc gaming is better. My advice is wait until e3...Mycrosoft will make a price drop.
m
l
March 12, 2011 6:36:32 PM

i am a pc gamer too..and ows a decent gaming pc with x6 and 4870 1g and i totally agree as being an fps fan,i will never be satisfied by aiming with a controller but how about other genre of games.The good games are coming on consoles like GoW2,wwe,mortal kombat(yet to be released just on consoles) and halo reach etc..That is why I am planning for a console that would serve my family (for music and video playback) and me (for gaming)..
m
l
March 12, 2011 6:46:15 PM

rhsnipes said:
^disagree

The next generation of consoles will be years away..2yrs minimum. Next gen systems don't come out until current ones are around $149.What are they now $299. Each system has a very good hold on a decent piece of pie. They know if they get greedy too soon they will forfeit the game. Don't hold your breath.

Besides, he's asking; why do pc's need constant upgrades to keep up, and is it too late to invest in a 360. He aint asking if pc gaming is better. My advice is wait until e3...Mycrosoft will make a price drop.

This is what i exactly meant to say..and IMO too,the new-gen consoles are far away otherwise MS would have not released the Kinect..Anyway I am getting a good deal on an j-tagged (sorry if it is illegal to say this on this forum) xbox360 that is why I am confused if this will be a good idea to buy it or not after the launch of near-about 5 years after the launch of xbox-360??or just stick to my pc games with lots of benefits as others has stated?
m
l
March 12, 2011 9:22:01 PM

The reality is that if you buy now a 360 you are going to play games with 1280x720(or even 1024x600), 2xAA, 0xAF, 25-30fps, low-medium setting, the same like a pc from 2006.

also there are more good games on pc that are not on 360 like: Starcraft 2, Crysis, World in Conflict, stalker's, Galactic Civilizations II, Sins of a Solar Empire, Company of Heroes, Civilization V, Warhammer 40,000, Napoleon: Total War, Amnesia, Witcher, ARMA II, etc

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AriQpIFbPoEacGM1b0xxcGVucFQ3OFc4N3BNZmd2QkE&gid=0

AAAe = score from 9/10 to 9.9/10
AAe = score from 8/10 to 8.9/10
Ae = score from 7/10 to 7.9/10

(exclusives from 11/15/05 to current)(exclusives means that this games is only available on one platform)

PC AAAe = 14, AAe = 82, Ae = 84
PS3 AAAe = 9, AAe = 14, Ae = 17
360 AAAe = 8, AAe = 17, Ae = 12

As you can see pc have more exclusive, and of course pc have the best version of multiplats (multiplats means games that are available on many platforms)

but if you want to play the games you mention (gears of war2,halo reach) get the 360.
m
l

Best solution

March 13, 2011 12:05:26 AM

Consoles do pretty darn good for their age. Having such old specs and comparatively weaker performance than is capable with pcs...it's amazing their games look as good as they do..I suspect developers take advantage of the simple fact that console specifications are consistent. Therefore, maximizing and fine tuning their software, given discrete hardware, to pump out an experience you might not expect. First party games are always the best at this.

Shenmue for dreamcast looked better than pc games of its time...Ninja Gaiden for xbox looked better than pc games of ITs time... My point is Console exclusive games can look better or as good as beefier pc games because they are developed with pre-existing knowledge of; how many registers, how much cache, how much latency, etc etc... all this can produce something on a cheap console, that would otherwise require a $1000+ machine.

But the bottom line is it's FUN and rewarding to get a console.
March 13, 2011 5:43:34 AM

rhsnipes said:
^disagree

Xbox 360's can be found under 200$, this has been so for over a year now. Although you're probably right, information reports that the next console from Microsoft might not be until 2015 due to the recession and the consoles "Cleverness & expandability."
The xbox 360(or ps3) is a good way to enjoy exclusives, while having the pc to experience the multiplatform games depending if you have a good computer (Since the OP says he owns a 6 core processor and a 4870). Off of that basis though, a Wii would be your best bet simply on it's array of exclusives (Albeit some poor ones mixed in)...

As well, with the OP's poorly stated sentence of, "a pc built in same year cannot co-op with [console name]."
Well, th pc may not coop with the Xbox 360, but the PS3 will be implementing Steam and the possible addition of coop for pc and ps3 users for games like Portal 2 and other upcoming Valve games. I can't tell if developers and publishers will work on doing this, but it helps with the idea that the current consoles still have plenty of life in them.

As to Snipe's comment of, "He ain't asking if pc gaming is better."
Didn't see a comment stating pc gaming as better, rather then explaining why people upgrade their computers. Although the OP somehow went to say he dislikes controller pads over keyboards... All in all, I do believe both consoles allow you to use both the keyboard and mouse. I know the PS3 does, and I would imagine the Xbox as well.
m
l
March 13, 2011 7:08:37 AM

dalta centauri said:
Xbox 360's can be found under 200$, this has been so for over a year now. Although you're probably right, information reports that the next console from Microsoft might not be until 2015 due to the recession and the consoles "Cleverness & expandability."
The xbox 360(or ps3) is a good way to enjoy exclusives, while having the pc to experience the multiplatform games depending if you have a good computer (Since the OP says he owns a 6 core processor and a 4870). Off of that basis though, a Wii would be your best bet simply on it's array of exclusives (Albeit some poor ones mixed in)...

As well, with the OP's poorly stated sentence of, "a pc built in same year cannot co-op with [console name]."
Well, th pc may not coop with the Xbox 360, but the PS3 will be implementing Steam and the possible addition of coop for pc and ps3 users for games like Portal 2 and other upcoming Valve games. I can't tell if developers and publishers will work on doing this, but it helps with the idea that the current consoles still have plenty of life in them.

As to Snipe's comment of, "He ain't asking if pc gaming is better."
Didn't see a comment stating pc gaming as better, rather then explaining why people upgrade their computers. Although the OP somehow went to say he dislikes controller pads over keyboards... All in all, I do believe both consoles allow you to use both the keyboard and mouse. I know the PS3 does, and I would imagine the Xbox as well.

I don't think any of the console officially supports keyboard mouse set-up..Not at-least the mouse while gaming..I just wanted to know if is it too late to buy a xbox360 to enjoy the console exclusive titles?
m
l
March 13, 2011 8:00:31 AM

It can never be too late...
Either that, or try and wait for the exclusive to hit pc 1-3 years later if it ever does (Such as the case with Fable 3).
m
l
March 13, 2011 5:49:34 PM

Best answer selected by darksmart.
m
l
March 20, 2011 9:57:47 PM

actually console graphics are considerably close to pc graphics for most games. Most games are made for consoles in mind and then ported over to pc with some minor improvements. (except for awesome games like the battlefield seires)

I am also a pc gamer, but would recommend a ps3 not an xbox. (as long as u already have a pc) All xbox exclusives are also available for pc (sony exclusives are not). Sony also works just as well for a media player as an xbox 360

And yea consoles still have a few more years left in em.
m
l
March 20, 2011 11:19:21 PM

I too agree the PS3 is the system to get. But thats always gonna be a personal decision. Ultimately, The best console to buy is the one you are the most excited about...nothing else matters. (btw... thanks darksmart. That's the first BA i got)

For games however, I wholeheartedly recommend Red Dead Redemption. It's the #1 reason to own a console, currently.
m
l
March 20, 2011 11:21:49 PM

peterson99 said:
actually console graphics are considerably close to pc graphics for most games. Most games are made for consoles in mind and then ported over to pc with some minor improvements. (except for awesome games like the battlefield seires)

I am also a pc gamer, but would recommend a ps3 not an xbox. (as long as u already have a pc) All xbox exclusives are also available for pc (sony exclusives are not). Sony also works just as well for a media player as an xbox 360

And yea consoles still have a few more years left in em.

I second that, I have my PS3 mainly as a bluray player, was quite a good price compared to what blurays cost themselves. Along with the Yakuza series, Killzone series, LBP series, and possibly more Heavy Rain series.
m
l
March 21, 2011 5:34:22 AM

One more reason to get a PS3 is (if you are into this sort of thing) Blu Ray 3D and 3D Games. Before the systems life is over this will become common place...
m
l
!