  • Internet Service Providers
  • Product
Last response: in Network Providers
October 10, 2004 9:04:53 AM

I had an interesting problem with Verizon last week. On the 29th, I
tried to pay my bill on line using my checking account information to
take advantage of an offer they had to credit either 100 bonus minutes
or $5 off your next bill. They stopped offering that, so I decided to
pay using my credit card into that they had already stored in their
system. At first it kept telling me that the info I entered was wrong,
then it let the account info go through but wanted to process the card
as a debit card.

Now this is not a credit card per se, but a Visa check card, that all
the rest of the industrialized world processes like a credit card, but
the money comes out of your checking account. In some stores, they ask
you if you wanted to process the transaction as a debit card and to
enter your pin. But then you can opt out of the debit transaction and
go right to the credit card transaction.

When I had used this card previously, it had never asked me to use the
card as a debit card. So I didn't know what was going on. When I
indicated that I did not want to process the transaction as a debit,
Verizon's computer system said it couldn't process the transaction. So
when I clicked off the box for processing as a debit transaction, it
went to a page that asked me to click off a "finish" box once I had read
certain terms and conditions. I did so, then Verizon booted me off line
and I had to re-login. When I tried to get in again and pay on line, it
wouldn't let me do it again either and I got an error message saying
that some company called paymentech wouldn't process a debit transaction
without a PIN (which Verizon didn't ask me for).

I went to my bank's on line system and found out that the bank had
transferred the money to Verizon. I called Verizon and was told to fax
them some docs from the bank showing that from the bank's position the
money had indeed been transferred to Verizon. I did so, then was told
it would take up to ten days for the matter to be investigated. But in
the mean time they wouldn't call me and bother me about paying them or
cut off my phone service.

When I got a call from Verizon's Financial Services asking me for money,
I told them that I had not yet heard from the about the investigation.
They claim that there investigation showed that the money never got to
them, and that Paymentech was at fault. But they could not explain why
I got booted off their system that one time, nor why my bank or
Payentech required a PIN for a debit transaction which Verizon did not
ask me for, nor why they started treating Visa check cards as debit
cards and not give you a choice to use them as a credit card when the
rest of the free world does let you chose. After another trouble ticket
was opened for their E Services departent, I was told that they wouldn't
be bothering me for money for at least a week while this was being
investigated and I was able to call my bank and get the involved. I got
another call fromm them an hour later asking me for money.

Any idea what the hell is going on here? They don't seem to want to
take responsibility for their own computer screw ups, and want to put
the blame on everyone else. As far as I know, no bank handles debits
without a PIN, but Verizon doesn't ask you for one.

More about : billing problem

Anonymous
October 10, 2004 3:25:34 PM

"USENET READER" <usenetreader.biteme@earthlink.biteme.net> wrote in
message news:Vp3ad.14367$Vm1.11401@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> [...]
> nor why my bank or Payentech required a PIN for a debit transaction
> which Verizon did not ask me for, nor why they started treating Visa
> check cards as debit cards and not give you a choice to use them as
> a credit card when the rest of the free world does let you chose.
> After another trouble ticket was opened for their E Services
> departent, I was told that they wouldn't be bothering me for money
> for at least a week while this was being investigated and I was able
> to call my bank and get the involved. I got another call fromm them
> an hour later asking me for money.
>
> Any idea what the hell is going on here? They don't seem to want to
> take responsibility for their own computer screw ups, and want to
> put the blame on everyone else. As far as I know, no bank handles
> debits without a PIN, but Verizon doesn't ask you for one.

Simple process, call the bank and tell them to reverse the payment
they made to whom ever it was made to. Then call Verizon on the
TELEPHONE and make the payment over the PHONE. This way they won't dun
you for the non payment no matter who's fault it may be.

The basic premise is to get your money back NOW!
Then do as I stated above. Many stores like to process the Visa Check
Cards as Debits to avoid the higher fees associated with you using it
as a charge purchase. Wal-Mart's is the #1 culprit and they even have
stopped taking MasterCard Check Cards due to the fees. This story was
on News.com.

Elector
October 10, 2004 5:21:34 PM

The disadvantage to using a check card is that it is just like writing out a
check. You can not reverse charges as you can with a credit card just as you
can not reverse charges on a check that you would have sent once it has
cleared. Many people do not know this and is why after finding out the hard
way I only use my check card when I can physically walk into the store for a
refund and use a standard credit card for all other online purchases.

--
All Email is scanned and
declared Virus free by
"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:o _8ad.2$Vn3.0@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

> [...]
>>
>> Any idea what the hell is going on here? They don't seem to want to take
>> responsibility for their own computer screw ups, and want to put the
>> blame on everyone else. As far as I know, no bank handles debits without
>> a PIN, but Verizon doesn't ask you for one.
>

> Simple process, call the bank and tell them to reverse the payment they
> made to whom ever it was made to. Then call Verizon on the TELEPHONE and
> make the payment over the PHONE. This way they won't dun you for the non
> payment no matter who's fault it may be.
>
> The basic premise is to get your money back NOW!
> Then do as I stated above. Many stores like to process the Visa Check
> Cards as Debits to avoid the higher fees associated with you using it as a
> charge purchase. Wal-Mart's is the #1 culprit and they even have stopped
> taking MasterCard Check Cards due to the fees. This story was on News.com.

October 10, 2004 7:30:50 PM

"HotRod" <rhgolding@eathlink.net> wrote in message
> The disadvantage to vsing a check card is that it is jvst like
> writing ovt a check. Yov can not reverse charges as yov can with a
> credit card jvst as yov can not reverse charges on a check that yov
> wovld have sent once it has cleared. Many people do not know this
> and is why after finding ovt the hard way I only vse my check card
> when I can physically walk into the store for a refvnd and vse a
> standard credit card for all other online pvrchases.
>
> --
> All Email is scanned and
> declared Virvs free by
> Norton System 2004

Not trve. Did yov ever call yovr credit vnion or bank and ask? If yov
did yov wovld have fovnd that if yovr card is lost or stolen yov don't
pay one red cent it is all refvndable. Additionally if yov make a
pvrchase with it; and yov dispvte the charge and it will be reversed
as a regvlar "charge pvrchase" they will not reverse a "debit"
pvrchase vnless the card was stolen or compromised. (Something to do
with yov having to vse a pin nvmber which only yov shovld know) The
bank has to investigate the sitvation and it may take some time and
yov may have the charge reversed back later on after they check it
ovt, bvt yov can reverse the charge. I did it recently with Dell
Compvters in that they shipped a prodvct to me as grovnd when I had
paid for 2nd. day air. They did not like that I did it and told my CU
that they were working it ovt with me and tried to stop the reversal.
Bvt the CU only paid them what I said it shovld have been minvs the
shipping.

Bottom line see what the policy is at yovr own bank and CU and then do
as yov feel is right.

Elector
October 10, 2004 8:07:12 PM

This was at a CU that I had issves and why I no longer bank there. If vsed
as a debit card they told they can not reverse the charges as it is exactly
as writing a check. If vsed as a credit card I wovld imagine the regvlar
rvles apply. This is the way I vnderstand it as explained to me by my old CU
of abovt six months ago.

--

> "HotRod" <rhgolding@eathlink.net> wrote in message
>> The disadvantage to vsing a check card is that it is jvst like writing
>> ovt a check. Yov can not reverse charges as yov can with a credit card
>> jvst as yov can not reverse charges on a check that yov wovld have sent
>> once it has cleared. Many people do not know this and is why after
>> finding ovt the hard way I only vse my check card when I can physically
>> walk into the store for a refvnd and vse a standard credit card for all
>> other online pvrchases.
>>
>> --
>> All Email is scanned and
>> declared Virvs free by
>> Norton System 2004
>

> Not trve. Did yov ever call yovr credit vnion or bank and ask? If yov did
> yov wovld have fovnd that if yovr card is lost or stolen yov don't pay one
> red cent it is all refvndable. Additionally if yov make a pvrchase with
> it; and yov dispvte the charge and it will be reversed as a regvlar
> "charge pvrchase" they will not reverse a "debit" pvrchase vnless the card
> was stolen or compromised. (Something to do with yov having to vse a pin
> nvmber which only yov shovld know) The bank has to investigate the
> sitvation and it may take some time and yov may have the charge reversed
> back later on after they check it ovt, bvt yov can reverse the charge. I
> did it recently with Dell Compvters in that they shipped a prodvct to me
> as grovnd when I had paid for 2nd. day air. They did not like that I did
> it and told my CU that they were working it ovt with me and tried to stop
> the reversal. Bvt the CU only paid them what I said it shovld have been
> minvs the shipping.
>
> Bottom line see what the policy is at yovr own bank and CU and then do as
> yov feel is right.
>
> Elector

Anonymous
October 10, 2004 8:51:17 PM

> This was at a CU that I had issues and why I no longer bank there.
> If used as a debit card they told they can not reverse the charges
> as it is exactly as writing a check. If used as a credit card I
> would imagine the regular rules apply. This is the way I understand
> it as explained to me by my old CU of about six months ago.
>
> --
> All Email is scanned and
> declared Virus free by
> Norton System 2004

Correct, that was how they explained it to me as well. If you use it
like a Debit (forget it) if as a Charge (your looking large) I could
not resist the rhyme :-)

Just was watching that stupid commercial on TV for Exzyte or Emzyte or
some other dumb drug. It does have a catchy commercial.

Elector
October 11, 2004 2:18:07 AM

Some of the commercial's fit into the dumb category.

--

> "HotRod" <rhgolding@eathlink.net> wrote in message
>> This was at a CU that I had issues and why I no longer bank there. If
>> used as a debit card they told they can not reverse the charges as it is
>> exactly as writing a check. If used as a credit card I would imagine the
>> regular rules apply. This is the way I understand it as explained to me
>> by my old CU of about six months ago.
>>
>> --
>> All Email is scanned and
>> declared Virus free by
>> Norton System 2004
>

> Correct, that was how they explained it to me as well. If you use it like
> a Debit (forget it) if as a Charge (your looking large) I could not resist
> the rhyme :-)
>
> Just was watching that stupid commercial on TV for Exzyte or Emzyte or
> some other dumb drug. It does have a catchy commercial.
>
> Elector

Anonymous
October 11, 2004 3:45:29 AM

Lesson learned should be: NEVER use a debit card (or Visa Check card) for an
online transaction!

Simple enough???
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 3:46:42 AM

"HotRod" <rhgolding@eathlink.net> wrote in message
> The disadvantage to using a check card is that it is just like writing out
> a check. You can not reverse charges as you can with a credit card just as
> you can not reverse charges on a check that you would have sent once it
> has cleared. Many people do not know this and is why after finding out the
> hard way I only use my check card when I can physically walk into the
> store for a refund and use a standard credit card for all other online
> purchases.

That's the way to do it..:-)
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 5:34:54 AM

I called the bank already - took care of that. I didn't ask for advice
on what do to with the bank - I asked if anyone had this same problem
with Verizon or anyone else:

you get booted off line when you are trying to pay a bill, they take the
money from your bank but don't credit your account

Verizon used to process my Visa check card like a charge card
transaction. Now they do it like a debit card, but they do not ask for
a PIN - why should the bank process this transaction like a debit card
with no PIN?

Can we stay on topic?

Elector wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>Any idea what the hell is going on here? They don't seem to want to
>>take responsibility for their own computer screw ups, and want to
>>put the blame on everyone else. As far as I know, no bank handles
>>debits without a PIN, but Verizon doesn't ask you for one.
>

> Simple process, call the bank and tell them to reverse the payment
> they made to whom ever it was made to. Then call Verizon on the
> TELEPHONE and make the payment over the PHONE. This way they won't dun
> you for the non payment no matter who's fault it may be.
>
> The basic premise is to get your money back NOW!
> Then do as I stated above. Many stores like to process the Visa Check
> Cards as Debits to avoid the higher fees associated with you using it
> as a charge purchase. Wal-Mart's is the #1 culprit and they even have
> stopped taking MasterCard Check Cards due to the fees. This story was

Anonymous
October 11, 2004 5:34:55 AM

|I called the bank already - took care of that. I didn't ask for advice
| on what do to with the bank - I asked if anyone had this same problem
| with Verizon or anyone else:
|
| you get booted off line when you are trying to pay a bill, they take the
| money from your bank but don't credit your account

I don't get booted off line - the transaction goes quite smoothly....

They have always credited my account promptly and accurately.....usually
within five seconds.....maybe ten.....

| Verizon used to process my Visa check card like a charge card
| transaction. Now they do it like a debit card, but they do not ask for
| a PIN - why should the bank process this transaction like a debit card
| with no PIN?

The bank won't - as I'm sure you've already been told by the bank.....

In either case, it's tranparent to you since the only "variation" is how
much of a fee Verizon pays the bank.....

Personally, I'd use a credit card since you retain the ability to reverse
the transaction or freeze payment, etc., should you choose to do so for some
legitimate reason. With a debit card, once the payment is processed, it's
"gone".......

Frankly, I don't see what your problem is other than a strong desire to
trash Verizon.....

| Can we stay on topic?

Based on what I've seen in previous messages and with reference to that
above, it appears that the "topic" should be changed from "Billing Problem"
to "Operator Training Required".....at the very least Verizon
troubleshooting via support would probably have solved your "Billing
Problem"....

PC

> [...]
| >>
| >>Any idea what the hell is going on here? They don't seem to want to
| >>take responsibility for their own computer screw ups, and want to
| >>put the blame on everyone else. As far as I know, no bank handles
| >>debits without a PIN, but Verizon doesn't ask you for one.
| >

| > Simple process, call the bank and tell them to reverse the payment
| > they made to whom ever it was made to. Then call Verizon on the
| > TELEPHONE and make the payment over the PHONE. This way they won't dun
| > you for the non payment no matter who's fault it may be.
| >
| > The basic premise is to get your money back NOW!
| > Then do as I stated above. Many stores like to process the Visa Check
| > Cards as Debits to avoid the higher fees associated with you using it
| > as a charge purchase. Wal-Mart's is the #1 culprit and they even have
| > stopped taking MasterCard Check Cards due to the fees. This story was

October 11, 2004 6:17:14 AM

"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> Correct, that was how they explained it to me as well. If you use it like
> a Debit (forget it) if as a Charge (your looking large) I could not resist
> the rhyme :-)
>
> Elector

Depends on your bank. I found this on the BofA website:

a.. Zero Liability - if your card is lost or stolen, Bank of America
reimburses you for any unauthorized card transactions up to the amount of
the loss, when reported within 60 days from statement date.
October 11, 2004 6:18:32 AM

"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:o _8ad.2$Vn3.0@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

> The basic premise is to get your money back NOW!
> Then do as I stated above. Many stores like to process the Visa Check
> Cards as Debits to avoid the higher fees associated with you using it as a
> charge purchase. Wal-Mart's is the #1 culprit and they even have stopped
> taking MasterCard Check Cards due to the fees. This story was on News.com.
>
> Elector

Wal-Mart recently reversed its policy and has begun accepting MasterCard
Debit cards again.
October 11, 2004 6:35:30 AM

The key is "if your card is lost or stolen"

--
All Email is scanned and
declared Virus free by
"Stan" <stanncno1spam@noispam.yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>

>> Correct, that was how they explained it to me as well. If you use it like
>> a Debit (forget it) if as a Charge (your looking large) I could not
>> resist the rhyme :-)
>>
>> Elector
>>
> Depends on your bank. I found this on the BofA website:
>
> a.. Zero Liability - if your card is lost or stolen, Bank of America
> reimburses you for any unauthorized card transactions up to the amount of
> the loss, when reported within 60 days from statement date.

Anonymous
October 11, 2004 3:12:52 PM

"USENET READER" <usenetreader.biteme@earthlink.biteme.net> wrote in
message news:2rlad.14996$gs1.14952@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>I called the bank already - took care of that. I didn't ask for
>advice on what do to with the bank - I asked if anyone had this same
>problem with Verizon or anyone else:
>
> you get booted off line when you are trying to pay a bill, they take
> the money from your bank but don't credit your account
>
> Verizon used to process my Visa check card like a charge card
> transaction. Now they do it like a debit card, but they do not ask
> for a PIN - why should the bank process this transaction like a
> debit card with no PIN?
>
> Can we stay on topic?

You know I agree with the other poster here, your just looking to
whine and cry and put the company down. You were given "On Topic"
advice IDIOT since you did not state in your original whine that you
had the money replaced. You asked "what should I do".

On that note what you should do is not own a cell phone and use two
tin cans and string and talk to your friends if you have any that way.

Learn to read, it will do wonders for you in the comprehension
department.

Elector
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 5:07:48 PM

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 01:34:54 GMT, USENET READER
<usenetreader.biteme@earthlink.biteme.net> wrote:

Am anxiously awaiting chapter 3 of your problems with VZW.

Chapter 1 phone
Chapter 2 Billing
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 10:44:13 PM

Elector wrote:

> "USENET READER" <usenetreader.biteme@earthlink.biteme.net> wrote in
> message news:2rlad.14996$gs1.14952@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>
>>I called the bank already - took care of that. I didn't ask for
>>advice on what do to with the bank - I asked if anyone had this same
>>problem with Verizon or anyone else:
>>
>>you get booted off line when you are trying to pay a bill, they take
>>the money from your bank but don't credit your account
>>
>>Verizon used to process my Visa check card like a charge card
>>transaction. Now they do it like a debit card, but they do not ask
>>for a PIN - why should the bank process this transaction like a
>>debit card with no PIN?
>>
>>Can we stay on topic?
>>

> You know I agree with the other poster here, your just looking to
> whine and cry and put the company down. You were given "On Topic"
> advice IDIOT since you did not state in your original whine that you
> had the money replaced. You asked "what should I do".

No actualy numbnuts I am here to get answers - has anyone had this
problem before and what was the cause of it - rather then hear someone
ask "did you call the bank"? If you read the original posting, it shows
that not only did I call the bank, but I went down to the bank and got
documents from the bank showing that they paid Verizon the money.

I went to my bank's on line system and found out that the bank had
transferred the money to Verizon. I called Verizon and was told to fax
them some docs from the bank showing that from the bank's position the
money had indeed been transferred to Verizon. I did so, then was told
it would take up to ten days for the matter to be investigated. But in
the mean time they wouldn't call me and bother me about paying them or
cut off my phone service.

>>> I went to my bank's on line system and found out that the bank had
>>> transferred the money to Verizon. I called Verizon and was told to
>>> fax them some docs from the bank showing that from the bank's
>>> position the money had indeed been transferred to Verizon. I did so,
>>> then was told it would take up to ten days for the matter to be
>>> investigated. But in the mean time they wouldn't call me and bother
>>> me about paying them or cut off my phone service.

So the other poster obviously asked a question when he didn't read the
whole post carefully, and you are merely taking his or her side like a
MORON!

Or maybe you need to have everything spelled out for you. Of course
when I got in my car and drove down to my bank and told them what
happened, they agreed to look into it ASAP. Really, they couldn't do
anything anyway other than initiate a fraud investigation if Verizon
never applied the money to my balance, or the money never got refunded.
Verizon wasn't going to refund the money without doing an
investigation about whether the money had been sent to them in the first
place (which it had been).

> On that note what you should do is not own a cell phone and use two
> tin cans and string and talk to your friends if you have any that way.
>
> Learn to read, it will do wonders for you in the comprehension
> department.
>
> Elector

Practice what you preach dipshit - you read the original posting first
before you go trying to find fault with other people.

And stay on topic - has anybody had the same thing happen to them
before? Where they are trying to pay on line and get booted off the
Verizon system and then lost money from their bank account that they
never got credit for on their Verizon account? That is the whole issue
here - not whether I got the money back.

And by the way - I got the refund back and talked with several people in
Verizon's E-Services who told me that something like 11,000 people had
similar issues - they they had money taken out of their account and
didn't get credit for it. He hadn't heard about getting logged out of
the Verizon system during the payment process, and he didn't understand
why their system wouldn't let me use my VISA check card as a credit card
and only wanted to accept it as a debit card. Hopefully with that
information, it won't happen again.

Now you know what you can do with your cans and string, right?
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 10:44:14 PM

Never happened to me.

-Quick

USENET READER wrote:
> [...]
> before? Where they are trying to pay on line and get booted off the
> Verizon system and then lost money from their bank account that they
> never got credit for on their Verizon account? That is the whole
> issue here - not whether I got the money back.
>
> And by the way - I got the refund back and talked with several people
> in Verizon's E-Services who told me that something like 11,000 people
> had similar issues - they they had money taken out of their account
> and didn't get credit for it. He hadn't heard about getting logged
> out of the Verizon system during the payment process, and he didn't
> understand why their system wouldn't let me use my VISA check card as
> a credit card and only wanted to accept it as a debit card.
> Hopefully with that information, it won't happen again.
>
> Now you know what you can do with your cans and string, right?
October 12, 2004 10:59:54 PM

Enough already - you're just an argumentative twerp with an attitude, a foul
mouth and a story that isn't credible....

God invented killfiles for the likes of you.....

PC

> [...]
| before? Where they are trying to pay on line and get booted off the
| Verizon system and then lost money from their bank account that they
| never got credit for on their Verizon account? That is the whole issue
| here - not whether I got the money back.
|
| And by the way - I got the refund back and talked with several people in
| Verizon's E-Services who told me that something like 11,000 people had
| similar issues - they they had money taken out of their account and
| didn't get credit for it. He hadn't heard about getting logged out of
| the Verizon system during the payment process, and he didn't understand
| why their system wouldn't let me use my VISA check card as a credit card
| and only wanted to accept it as a debit card. Hopefully with that
| information, it won't happen again.
|
| Now you know what you can do with your cans and string, right?

October 13, 2004 12:02:42 PM

In article <ctudnW7c_OkcDPHcRVn-jg@adelphia.com>,
Scott Stephenson <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote:
>Because they never process your debit card like a credit card. The money
>always comes right out of your account, no matter how you think you are
>using the card. Why? Because its not a credit card, Einstein. And you are
>whining because the bank doesn't ask for a PIN, but they don't do that if
>you decide to pretend its a credit card, either.

There are separate networks for processing debit card charges and for
processing credit charges. The cost structure to the merchant is very
different. (I believe that the debit networks charge more for smaller
charges, the credit networks more for larger charges.) Even though a
check card ends up taking $$ from your checking account regardless of
which network is used. The debit card network is SUPPOSED to require
the PIN; the credit network does not. This is why I have a debit card
(no MC/Visa logo) which cannot be processed through the credit network,
without a PIN, and a separate true credit card. It was a real pain to
get my bank to issue me a plain debit card rather than a check card.
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 2:21:51 PM

"USENET READER" <usenetreader.biteme@earthlink.biteme.net> wrote in
message news:1CVad.1529$NX5.1150@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
<snip>
> And by the way - I got the refund back and talked with several
> people in Verizon's E-Services who told me that something like
> 11,000 people had similar issues - they they had money taken out of
> their account and didn't get credit for it. He hadn't heard about
> getting logged out of the Verizon system during the payment process,
> and he didn't understand why their system wouldn't let me use my
> VISA check card as a credit card and only wanted to accept it as a
> debit card. Hopefully with that information, it won't happen again.
>
> Now you know what you can do with your cans and string, right?

Stick them up your *** most likely!

When you use the debit card/check card as a charge you have to put the
security PIN from the back of the card in the little box and then
click submit. That way Idiot the problem would not have occurred.
Simple huh?

On second thought if customer service already told you that 11,000
people had this problem then your initial post here was a "troll" post
since your question was already answered.

And lastly no matter what is wrong with the billing system you want to
get your money back which I did not read in the initial post but I
will go and look at it again this morning when I get to work. My
concern is to get your money back first so you can argue and dicker
and whine with the company on your terms. Once they have your funds it
is quite conceivable that you will fight for the credits. So my advice
was to help. But you have shown that your an idiot.

Elector
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 3:46:00 PM

Kill this douchebag - Verizon admitted it had a similar problem with
over 11 thousand customers, that it can't figure why a middle man they
use (Paymentech) took my money but didn't apply it to my Verizon
account, and gave me 250 bonus minutes for my trouble.

Proconsul wrote:

> [...]
> | before? Where they are trying to pay on line and get booted off the
> | Verizon system and then lost money from their bank account that they
> | never got credit for on their Verizon account? That is the whole issue
> | here - not whether I got the money back.
> |
> | And by the way - I got the refund back and talked with several people in
> | Verizon's E-Services who told me that something like 11,000 people had
> | similar issues - they they had money taken out of their account and
> | didn't get credit for it. He hadn't heard about getting logged out of
> | the Verizon system during the payment process, and he didn't understand
> | why their system wouldn't let me use my VISA check card as a credit card
> | and only wanted to accept it as a debit card. Hopefully with that
> | information, it won't happen again.
> |
> | Now you know what you can do with your cans and string, right?

October 13, 2004 9:58:14 PM

Scott Stephenson wrote:

> Funny- where did this cost you anymore money? Last time I checked,
> you pay the same to Verizon regardless of the method of payment.
> This sort of cements the opinions posted by others that you are just
> a whiney little child who has nothing better to do than bitch and
> moan about being wronged by the big corporate giant. The fact is
> that the way the payment is processed has no cost disadvantage to
> you. Learn how the system works before trying to come off as knowing
> anything other than your shoe size.

He has a atm/check/credit card.
He has another credit card(s) with same bank.
(lots of float => lots of cards)
He has no money in his checking account.
He has overdraft protection on the checking account.
VZW hits the checking account.

No funds so the overdraft protection rolls it to his
credit card account with additional overage charge
and cash withdrawl fees on the credit card.

That would be a difference right?

-Quick
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 10:09:24 PM

"CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <ctudnW7c_OkcDPHcRVn-jg@adelphia.com>,
> Scott Stephenson <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote:
> >Because they never process your debit card like a credit card. The money
> >always comes right out of your account, no matter how you think you are
> >using the card. Why? Because its not a credit card, Einstein. And you
are
> >whining because the bank doesn't ask for a PIN, but they don't do that if
> >you decide to pretend its a credit card, either.
>
> There are separate networks for processing debit card charges and for
> processing credit charges. The cost structure to the merchant is very
> different. (I believe that the debit networks charge more for smaller
> charges, the credit networks more for larger charges.) Even though a
> check card ends up taking $$ from your checking account regardless of
> which network is used.

To the vendor, it is one network- the payments are typically processed
through a payment clearinghouse. Any credit card transaction is then
processed as charge to the revolving line of credit (which charges the
vendor a percentage of the 'purchase') and any debit card transaction is
processed as an electronic bank debit (which charges the vendor a set fee
which can be less than a dollar).

>The debit card network is SUPPOSED to require
> the PIN; the credit network does not. This is why I have a debit card
> (no MC/Visa logo) which cannot be processed through the credit network,
> without a PIN, and a separate true credit card. It was a real pain to
> get my bank to issue me a plain debit card rather than a check card.

You're right- a true debit card will require a PIN to transact business. A
check card does not require (for whatever reason) a PIN to transact
business. Requiring a PIN for an over-the-phone transaction could lead to
some interesting withdrawals from your checking account.
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 11:22:29 PM

In article <pp9bd.8553$gI6.5911@trndny09>, Elector <elector@my-deja.com> wrote:
>Here let uncle Elector help you. Log on to the Verizon Wireless Account
>system. Make sure you put the right account number and pin in (Knowing how
>you have problems with the pin entering), then under pay bill make sure you
>select the radio button for the type of account and how your paying. Pay
>special attention to DEBIT and CREDIT CARD then select the proper credit
>card type. Visa or MasterCard or American Express, then place that visa
>check card number in and the expiration date if you had not previously saved
>the profile information. Then read further down and place that security pin
>in the little box before you click submit or the screen is going to ask how
>you want to process the transaction? (which means Sherlock you did not place
>that pin in as you stated and are trying to cover up for your own stupidity)
>Then it asks to click confirm and to hit the button to make the payment.
>After a few seconds the screen states that the payment was approved and you
>get a confirmation number.

That three-digit security code on the back of some cards is not a PIN
code. It is an anti-fraud mechanism used by the *credit-card* network
to confirm that the person has the physical card. The PIN code used
by the *debit card* network is NEVER printed on the card. If the OP was
entering the security code along with the card number and expiration date,
then they were using the check card as a credit card, not a debit card.
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 11:26:25 PM

> Scott Stephenson wrote:
> >
> > Funny- where did this cost you anymore money? Last time I checked,
> > you pay the same to Verizon regardless of the method of payment.
> > This sort of cements the opinions posted by others that you are just
> > a whiney little child who has nothing better to do than bitch and
> > moan about being wronged by the big corporate giant. The fact is
> > that the way the payment is processed has no cost disadvantage to
> > you. Learn how the system works before trying to come off as knowing
> > anything other than your shoe size.
>
> He has a atm/check/credit card.
> He has another credit card(s) with same bank.
> (lots of float => lots of cards)
> He has no money in his checking account.
> He has overdraft protection on the checking account.
> VZW hits the checking account.
>
> No funds so the overdraft protection rolls it to his
> credit card account with additional overage charge
> and cash withdrawl fees on the credit card.
>
> That would be a difference right?
>
> -Quick

With the card he used, hitting the checking account is the only option.
There is no 'credit' offered on a check card- the card's worth is exactly
that of the account balance. With some of the improvements in payment
processing software and clearinghouses, many times a transaction on a check
card will decline because of the account balance- no money, no transaction.

The bottom line to the whole thing is the notion that a check card can be
used as a credit card- it can't be done.
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 11:26:26 PM

Scott Stephenson wrote:
> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Scott Stephenson wrote:
>>>
>>> Funny- where did this cost you anymore money? Last time I checked,
>>> you pay the same to Verizon regardless of the method of payment.
>>> This sort of cements the opinions posted by others that you are just
>>> a whiney little child who has nothing better to do than bitch and
>>> moan about being wronged by the big corporate giant. The fact is
>>> that the way the payment is processed has no cost disadvantage to
>>> you. Learn how the system works before trying to come off as
>>> knowing anything other than your shoe size.
>>
>> He has a atm/check/credit card.
>> He has another credit card(s) with same bank.
>> (lots of float => lots of cards)
>> He has no money in his checking account.
>> He has overdraft protection on the checking account.
>> VZW hits the checking account.
>>
>> No funds so the overdraft protection rolls it to his
>> credit card account with additional overage charge
>> and cash withdrawl fees on the credit card.
>>
>> That would be a difference right?
>>
>> -Quick
>>

> With the card he used, hitting the checking account is the only
> option. There is no 'credit' offered on a check card- the card's
> worth is exactly that of the account balance. With some of the
> improvements in payment processing software and clearinghouses, many
> times a transaction on a check card will decline because of the
> account balance- no money, no transaction.
>
> The bottom line to the whole thing is the notion that a check card
> can be used as a credit card- it can't be done.

So my scenario is still valid right? It's just that it would happen
either way. Maybe that's why he is whining? He didn't realize that?

-Quick
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 12:15:11 AM

> So my scenario is still valid right? It's just that it would happen
> either way. Maybe that's why he is whining? He didn't realize that?
>
> -Quick

Sure is valid. I think part of the whining comes from the fact that the
payment got lost somewhere- it happens. I would defy the child to identify
any entity that handles payment transactions that never makes an error.
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 12:34:19 AM

"USENET READER" <usenetreader.biteme@earthlink.biteme.net> wrote in
message news:HRabd.2792$NX5.1182@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
<snip.
>> Stick it little piss ant. You have reached the end of your troll
>> posts. No one here will fall for your replies. Troll Boy!!
>>
>> Elector
>
> You can't seem to resist posting stupid mindless responses to
> serious posts and questions and follow-ups. Piss ant? Are you some
> old grit in a rest home with nothing else to do all day? Make sure
> you don't drool on your keyboard, you old fart!

Let me tell you something piss ant, your whine needs more cheese. And
it would seem you have posted here before with that little girlie
writing style. Did not like the answer and then yell "lets keep it on
topic" I think others will remember you also.

Your a Verizon basher and complainer. Albeit I don't hold Verizon in
the best light all the time, I don't come in here and state that
Customer Service told you 11,000 others had the same problem. Sure
they did...

If I were customer service I would tell you that; other than the truth
that your a total idiot and you really did not know how to make a
credit/debit transaction and the part about the pin that your claiming
is after the fact since I brought it up. I called the web services
number at the payment site and they said it could be possible that the
system fell as you were clicking submit payment but that would not
have resulted in a confirmation number or email receipt and no monies
would have been transferred from your account (Credit or Debit).

They also informed me that occasionally if you hit submit twice the
payments would naturally come out twice, and that they know of an
issue where the site does not function at all (during maintenance
hours and or when the server is experiencing difficulties) and you can
then call the *611 or the *PMT and make the payment that way from the
cards that are on file. It is both an automated service and a physical
speaking to a person if you so desire. So there were options.

Additionally this web services unit told me that customer service
could have told you if the payment had been applied from their screen.
So my guess is again that your a bozo that should not have or use any
type of credit/debit card or a computer due to that foul mouth of
yours sonny.

And I am not as old as you think junior, so be careful I am not some
old man that will take your gruff. Got it? Good.

Elector
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 12:41:16 AM

"CharlesH" <CharlesH@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message
<snip>
> That three-digit security code on the back of some cards is not a
> PIN
> code. It is an anti-fraud mechanism used by the *credit-card*
> network
> to confirm that the person has the physical card. The PIN code used
> by the *debit card* network is NEVER printed on the card. If the OP
> was
> entering the security code along with the card number and expiration
> date,
> then they were using the check card as a credit card, not a debit
> card.

That is correct Charles, if you read the OP he/she/it was stating it
asked if you want to use this as a debit. Now if he/she/it did as I
wrote and placed the radio button on credit and entered the 3-4
security code in the box before clicking continue with payment, no
such screen would have appeared.

Bottom line the OP is an idiot as I and others have suggested and is
just here to whine and complain, and the last time I looked why would
financial services be calling a customer that is not in arrears? So
the OP makes a stink as if the payment was made and then blames
Verizon saying they had it and he got it back and they had a problem
with the billing system. Something is just not right with the OP post.
Don't know about you but I pay the damn invoice even before I receive
it in the mail on both my accounts. And I have never had that
situation that the OP said was shared by 11,000 others. Anyone from
Verizon here would like to check out that story and post I would guess
it was a fairy tale on the original posters part.

Elector
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 12:41:17 AM

Elector wrote:

> That is correct Charles, if you read the OP he/she/it was stating it
> asked if you want to use this as a debit. Now if he/she/it did as I
> wrote and placed the radio button on credit and entered the 3-4
> security code in the box before clicking continue with payment, no
> such screen would have appeared.
>
> Bottom line the OP is an idiot as I and others have suggested and is
> just here to whine and complain, and the last time I looked why would
> financial services be calling a customer that is not in arrears? So
> the OP makes a stink as if the payment was made and then blames
> Verizon saying they had it and he got it back and they had a problem
> with the billing system. Something is just not right with the OP post.
> Don't know about you but I pay the damn invoice even before I receive
> it in the mail on both my accounts. And I have never had that
> situation that the OP said was shared by 11,000 others. Anyone from
> Verizon here would like to check out that story and post I would guess
> it was a fairy tale on the original posters part.

Me thinks I agree with you.

Let's look at just the 11,000 number (Yes, I think there is about no chance
that CS would quote you something like that... at best I could imagine
something like "others have had problems" if anything at all -- this
assuming
there was a problem).

More than 33,000,000 customers. That would be 11 out of 33,000... If
I was running a business I wouldn't see that as my highest priority problem.
Secondly, the chance of someone reading his post on this group who would
have had the supposed problem and avoid it is almost zero. That "warning"
was a huge waste of electrons. Of course I don't think that was the intent.

-Quick

-Quick
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 12:51:21 AM

"Scott Stephenson" <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote in message

> You're right- a true debit card will require a PIN to transact business.
> check card does not require (for whatever reason) a PIN to transact
> business. Requiring a PIN for an over-the-phone transaction could lead to
> some interesting withdrawals from your checking account.

Any time you use a check/debit card over the phone that could happen.
Only use a "real" credit card for phone and on-line purchases.
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 2:30:54 PM

"Scott Stephenson" <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:D 8adneP__4qIfPDcRVn-oA@adelphia.com...
<snip>
> I would defy the child to identify
> any entity that handles payment transactions that never makes an
> error.

"American Express" Ha ha at least that is what they have always told
me. (Joking here)
The original poster was here before under another guise and is
trolling. I dealt with the type before on another group and they make
me sick.

Elector
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 5:38:27 PM

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 20:15:11 -0600, "Scott Stephenson"
<scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote:

>"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>> So my scenario is still valid right? It's just that it would happen
>> either way. Maybe that's why he is whining? He didn't realize that?
>>
>> -Quick
>>

>Sure is valid. I think part of the whining comes from the fact that the
>payment got lost somewhere- it happens. I would defy the child to identify
>any entity that handles payment transactions that never makes an error.

I got the impression he was just whining about VZW. He even said after
several replies that he wasn't interested in the solution. The point
of his post was to complain about Verizonwireless.

He had a multi paragraph post a week or to prior to this one
complaining about his phone. When I tried to offer some insight he
became belligerent just as in this thread.
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 6:23:18 PM

"Teddeli" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
<snip>
> I got the impression he was just whining about VZW. He even said after
> several replies that he wasn't interested in the solution. The point
> of his post was to complain about Verizonwireless.
>
> He had a multi paragraph post a week or to prior to this one
> complaining about his phone. When I tried to offer some insight he
> became belligerent just as in this thread.

That is exactly right. I knew that posting style was here before.

Elector
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 8:41:49 PM

> No dumb ass - I said that the store treats it like a credit card
> transaction. They send the info to VISA and then it goes to your bank,
> where they pay as soon as they get presented with the request for
> payment.

Wrong again, trollboy- the merchant doesn't send any information to Visa- it
goes to a payment clearinghouse for larger businesses and to a bank for
small businesses. For debit card transactions, it goes from the
clearinghouse to your bank. Visa doesn't process a thing- they just collect
the fee.

>The store or the vendor (in this case Verizon) treats it like
> a credit card from their standpoint.

Wrong- the vendor pays much more for a credit card transaction and will
avoid them at all costs- it is one of the most expensive for them to
process.

>That is exactly how the cards are
> marketed on TV - you use it like a credit card and the money comes from
> your checking account.

Three for three, dipstick- the ads on TV say use it anywhere the credit card
is honored. It doesn't say to use it like a credit card. Of course, the
commercials you are seeing during your Barney marathons probably use the
really big words. Mommy can help you with them.
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 9:04:22 PM

What a old douchebag - had nothing better to do then to call up Verizon
CS and see if what I claimed to have happen to me could have happened?
Do you think they would admit to it if you weren't the customer having
the problem? I doubt it!

Well I for one am not gonna post my financial transactions on line for
old douchebags like you to drool over. Suffice it to say that it did
happen - they took money out of my bank account and didn't apply it to y
balance. It has nothing to do with using the on-line payment system
wrong - it's Verizon's fault. Why can't an old douchebag like you see
that? Are you on the payroll or a old-time pensioner?

Elector wrote:
> "USENET READER" <usenetreader.biteme@earthlink.biteme.net> wrote in
> message news:HRabd.2792$NX5.1182@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> <snip.
>
>>>Stick it little piss ant. You have reached the end of your troll
>>>posts. No one here will fall for your replies. Troll Boy!!
>>>
>>>Elector
>>
>>You can't seem to resist posting stupid mindless responses to
>>serious posts and questions and follow-ups. Piss ant? Are you some
>>old grit in a rest home with nothing else to do all day? Make sure
>>you don't drool on your keyboard, you old fart!
>

> Let me tell you something piss ant, your whine needs more cheese. And
> it would seem you have posted here before with that little girlie
> writing style. Did not like the answer and then yell "lets keep it on
> topic" I think others will remember you also.
>
> Your a Verizon basher and complainer. Albeit I don't hold Verizon in
> the best light all the time, I don't come in here and state that
> Customer Service told you 11,000 others had the same problem. Sure
> they did...
>
> If I were customer service I would tell you that; other than the truth
> that your a total idiot and you really did not know how to make a
> credit/debit transaction and the part about the pin that your claiming
> is after the fact since I brought it up. I called the web services
> number at the payment site and they said it could be possible that the
> system fell as you were clicking submit payment but that would not
> have resulted in a confirmation number or email receipt and no monies
> would have been transferred from your account (Credit or Debit).
>
> They also informed me that occasionally if you hit submit twice the
> payments would naturally come out twice, and that they know of an
> issue where the site does not function at all (during maintenance
> hours and or when the server is experiencing difficulties) and you can
> then call the *611 or the *PMT and make the payment that way from the
> cards that are on file. It is both an automated service and a physical
> speaking to a person if you so desire. So there were options.
>
> Additionally this web services unit told me that customer service
> could have told you if the payment had been applied from their screen.
> So my guess is again that your a bozo that should not have or use any
> type of credit/debit card or a computer due to that foul mouth of
> yours sonny.
>
> And I am not as old as you think junior, so be careful I am not some
> old man that will take your gruff. Got it? Good.
>
> Elector

Anonymous
October 14, 2004 9:09:40 PM

Yes Charles - this is correct. I did have to enter the 3 digit
anti-fraud number on the back of the card, meaning it was a credit card
transaction and not a debit card transaction Uncle Elector you old
douchebag!

After entering the amount I wanted to pay, confirming the credit card
info was correct and then entering the anti-fraud number, I hit enter
and then it told me it wanted to process the transaction as a debit
transaction, not a credit card transaction.

Verizon asked my bank for the money, the bank gave it to them, but
Verizon didn't apply the money to my balance. So like I posted earlier,
there was a problem with Verizon and not me. Obviously, Uncle Elector
didn't know about this - senility perhaps?

Thanks for your clear and concise information Charles.

CharlesH wrote:

> In article <pp9bd.8553$gI6.5911@trndny09>, Elector <elector@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
>>Here let uncle Elector help you. Log on to the Verizon Wireless Account
>>system. Make sure you put the right account number and pin in (Knowing how
>>you have problems with the pin entering), then under pay bill make sure you
>>select the radio button for the type of account and how your paying. Pay
>>special attention to DEBIT and CREDIT CARD then select the proper credit
>>card type. Visa or MasterCard or American Express, then place that visa
>>check card number in and the expiration date if you had not previously saved
>>the profile information. Then read further down and place that security pin
>>in the little box before you click submit or the screen is going to ask how
>>you want to process the transaction? (which means Sherlock you did not place
>>that pin in as you stated and are trying to cover up for your own stupidity)
>>Then it asks to click confirm and to hit the button to make the payment.
>>After a few seconds the screen states that the payment was approved and you
>>get a confirmation number.
>

> That three-digit security code on the back of some cards is not a PIN
> code. It is an anti-fraud mechanism used by the *credit-card* network
> to confirm that the person has the physical card. The PIN code used
> by the *debit card* network is NEVER printed on the card. If the OP was
> entering the security code along with the card number and expiration date,
> then they were using the check card as a credit card, not a debit card.

Anonymous
October 14, 2004 9:13:51 PM

no douchebag - I did enter the card as a credit card and entered the 3
digit anti-fraud code, but Verizon still wanted to treat this card as a
debit card. So there was a problem with Verizon and not the way I
entered the data.

Financial Services was calling because I had to call them about the
payment that wasn't credited to my balance, and they opened up a trouble
ticket about it for me. They called me to tell me what happened and did
I want to make a payment that day?

You are such a presumptive old douchebag - trying to make up stuff out
of nothing.

Elector wrote:

> "CharlesH" <CharlesH@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message
> <snip>
>
>>That three-digit security code on the back of some cards is not a
>>PIN
>>code. It is an anti-fraud mechanism used by the *credit-card*
>>network
>>to confirm that the person has the physical card. The PIN code used
>>by the *debit card* network is NEVER printed on the card. If the OP
>>was
>>entering the security code along with the card number and expiration
>>date,
>>then they were using the check card as a credit card, not a debit
>>card.
>>

> That is correct Charles, if you read the OP he/she/it was stating it
> asked if you want to use this as a debit. Now if he/she/it did as I
> wrote and placed the radio button on credit and entered the 3-4
> security code in the box before clicking continue with payment, no
> such screen would have appeared.
>
> Bottom line the OP is an idiot as I and others have suggested and is
> just here to whine and complain, and the last time I looked why would
> financial services be calling a customer that is not in arrears? So
> the OP makes a stink as if the payment was made and then blames
> Verizon saying they had it and he got it back and they had a problem
> with the billing system. Something is just not right with the OP post.
> Don't know about you but I pay the damn invoice even before I receive
> it in the mail on both my accounts. And I have never had that
> situation that the OP said was shared by 11,000 others. Anyone from
> Verizon here would like to check out that story and post I would guess
> it was a fairy tale on the original posters part.
>
> Elector

Anonymous
October 14, 2004 9:43:28 PM

Scott Stephenson wrote:

> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Scott Stephenson wrote:
>>
>>>Funny- where did this cost you anymore money? Last time I checked,
>>>you pay the same to Verizon regardless of the method of payment.
>>>This sort of cements the opinions posted by others that you are just
>>>a whiney little child who has nothing better to do than bitch and
>>>moan about being wronged by the big corporate giant. The fact is
>>>that the way the payment is processed has no cost disadvantage to
>>>you. Learn how the system works before trying to come off as knowing
>>>anything other than your shoe size.
>>
>>He has a atm/check/credit card.
>>He has another credit card(s) with same bank.
>>(lots of float => lots of cards)
>>He has no money in his checking account.
>>He has overdraft protection on the checking account.
>>VZW hits the checking account.
>>
>>No funds so the overdraft protection rolls it to his
>>credit card account with additional overage charge
>>and cash withdrawl fees on the credit card.
>>
>>That would be a difference right?
>>
>>-Quick
>>

> With the card he used, hitting the checking account is the only option.
> There is no 'credit' offered on a check card- the card's worth is exactly
> that of the account balance. With some of the improvements in payment
> processing software and clearinghouses, many times a transaction on a check
> card will decline because of the account balance- no money, no transaction.
>
> The bottom line to the whole thing is the notion that a check card can be
> used as a credit card- it can't be done.

The merchant treats the transaction like a credit card payment, but the
paying bank does not. Can't you get that through your thick head?
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 9:49:58 PM

Teddeli wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 20:15:11 -0600, "Scott Stephenson"
> <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote:
>

>>"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>So my scenario is still valid right? It's just that it would happen
>>>either way. Maybe that's why he is whining? He didn't realize that?
>>>
>>>-Quick
>>>

>>Sure is valid. I think part of the whining comes from the fact that the
>>payment got lost somewhere- it happens. I would defy the child to identify
>>any entity that handles payment transactions that never makes an error.
>>

> I got the impression he was just whining about VZW. He even said after
> several replies that he wasn't interested in the solution. The point
> of his post was to complain about Verizonwireless.
>
> He had a multi paragraph post a week or to prior to this one
> complaining about his phone. When I tried to offer some insight he
> became belligerent just as in this thread.

What post was that you claimed to offer insight on? I think it was a
stupid bit of advice that didn't come close to answering my question, so
I treated it like something I would scrape off the bottom of my shoe.
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 9:49:59 PM

| > He had a multi paragraph post a week or to prior to this one
| > complaining about his phone. When I tried to offer some insight he
| > became belligerent just as in this thread.
|
| What post was that you claimed to offer insight on? I think it was a
| stupid bit of advice that didn't come close to answering my question, so
| I treated it like something I would scrape off the bottom of my shoe.

Once again, your limited mind fails to express itself - you can't discuss
anything intelligently, you just "lash out" and then feel "good"...being
safe and secure in the anonymity you enjoy behind your monitor....

It really is too bad that everyone but you is "stupid", can't answer your
question properly and remains "far" beneath you stuck to the bottom of your
shoe....

You are a mindless jerk - God invented killfiles for the likes of you.....:)

PC
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 3:36:31 AM

In article <wqCdnS8bU8nbXPDcRVn-oA@adelphia.com>,
"Scott Stephenson" <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote:

> > WalMart, K-Mart, all the local grocery stores and the gas staion
> > with a card reader at the pump all process VISA check cards like a
> > credit card. They ask you if you want to process it like a debit
> > card by asking you for your PIN - if you push a couple of buttons,
> > you can get the to treat it like a credit card.
>
> No you don't, because if you did they would bill you for the charges
> at the end of the month instead of having it immediately withdrawn
> from your bank account

They treat the transaction on the spot either as a debit card or a
credit card, depending upon your choice.

You have the choice of signing the slip or inputting your PIN. If you
choose to treat it as a debit card and use your PIN, many stores will
allow you to put more on the transaction than the amount of purchase,
and will give you cash back.

The bank prefers that you sign the form and use it as a credit card
because they charge the store a higher percentage of the sale for a
credit card than for a debit card.

This has nothing to do with billing or when they debit your account.

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
Anonymous

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:49:58 GMT, USENET READER
<usenetreader.biteme@earthlink.biteme.net> wrote:

>Teddeli wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 20:15:11 -0600, "Scott Stephenson"
>> <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote:
>>

>>>"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>Sure is valid. I think part of the whining comes from the fact that the
>>>payment got lost somewhere- it happens. I would defy the child to identify
>>>any entity that handles payment transactions that never makes an error.
>>>

>> I got the impression he was just whining about VZW. He even said after
>> several replies that he wasn't interested in the solution. The point
>> of his post was to complain about Verizonwireless.
>>
>> He had a multi paragraph post a week or to prior to this one
>> complaining about his phone. When I tried to offer some insight he
>> became belligerent just as in this thread.
>
>What post was that you claimed to offer insight on? I think it was a
>stupid bit of advice that didn't come close to answering my question, so
>I treated it like something I would scrape off the bottom of my shoe.

Your dinner tonight?
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 4:01:35 AM

> On Thv, 14 Oct 2004 17:49:58 GMT, USENET READER
> <vsenetreader.biteme@earthlink.biteme.net> wrote:
>

> >Teddeli wrote:

> >> I got the impression he was jvst whining abovt VZW. He even said after
> >> several replies that he wasn't interested in the solvtion. The point
> >> of his post was to complain abovt Verizonwireless.
> >>
> >> He had a mvlti paragraph post a week or to prior to this one
> >> complaining abovt his phone. When I tried to offer some insight he
> >> became belligerent jvst as in this thread.
> >
> >What post was that yov claimed to offer insight on? I think it was a
> >stvpid bit of advice that didn't come close to answering my qvestion, so
> >I treated it like something I wovld scrape off the bottom of my shoe.
>

> Yovr dinner tonight?

Family revnion.
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 6:42:47 AM

Proconsul wrote:

> "USENET READER" <usenetreader.biteme@earthlink.biteme.net> wrote in message
> |
> | > He had a multi paragraph post a week or to prior to this one
> | > complaining about his phone. When I tried to offer some insight he
> | > became belligerent just as in this thread.
> |
> | What post was that you claimed to offer insight on? I think it was a
> | stupid bit of advice that didn't come close to answering my question, so
> | I treated it like something I would scrape off the bottom of my shoe.
>
> Once again, your limited mind fails to express itself - you can't discuss
> anything intelligently, you just "lash out" and then feel "good"...being
> safe and secure in the anonymity you enjoy behind your monitor....
>
> It really is too bad that everyone but you is "stupid", can't answer your
> question properly and remains "far" beneath you stuck to the bottom of your
> shoe....
>
> You are a mindless jerk - God invented killfiles for the likes of you.....:)

So if God invented killfiles - why do you keep taking the bait you dumb
schuck?
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 4:02:04 PM

> [...]
>> payments would naturally come out twice, and that they know of an issue
>> where the site does not function at all (during maintenance hours and or
>> when the server is experiencing difficulties) and you can then call the
>> *611 or the *PMT and make the payment that way from the cards that are on
>> file. It is both an automated service and a physical speaking to a person
>> if you so desire. So there were options.
>>
>> Additionally this web services unit told me that customer service could
>> have told you if the payment had been applied from their screen. So my
>> guess is again that your a bozo that should not have or use any type of
>> credit/debit card or a computer due to that foul mouth of yours sonny.
>>
>> And I am not as old as you think junior, so be careful I am not some old
>> man that will take your gruff. Got it? Good.

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 4:05:50 PM

"USENET READER" <usenetreader.biteme@earthlink.biteme.net> wrote in message
> What a old douchebag - had nothing better to do then to call up Verizon CS
> and see if what I claimed to have happen to me could have happened? Do you
> think they would admit to it if you weren't the customer having the
> problem? I doubt it!
>
> Well I for one am not gonna post my financial transactions on line for old
> douchebags like you to drool over. Suffice it to say that it did happen -
> they took money out of my bank account and didn't apply it to y balance.
> It has nothing to do with using the on-line payment system wrong - it's
> Verizon's fault. Why can't an old douchebag like you see that? Are you
> on the payroll or a old-time pensioner?

Hey Piss Ant:

Learn to read I did not say I called Customer Service I called Web Services
who is in charge of the payment portion and web site use. You moron.
Your a liar plain and simple and a little whiner. Hey the other poster was
called "Rebecca and Bev" you post just like a little girl. Like I said
before your a troll at best and a little girlie complainer. Now back to your
foul mouth posts, little girlie.

Elector
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 5:27:35 PM

There's a new hvge shakevp in the banking bvsiness that comes online on the
28th of this month, by Federal Reserve decree. Go to Google and search
for:

"Check 21"

Everyone with a checking accovnt, bovnd by the compvters to svffer, needs
to carefvlly read what Consvmer's Union has to say on:
http://www.consvmersvnion.org/finance/ckclear1002.htm
Pay particvlar attention to the new bank bvzzword bingo, "Svbstitvte Check"
and "Volvntary Check Trvncation", which CU says to refvse at all costs.

The only benefit to the consvmer is "Svbstitvte Check", which I'm svre yov
are going to have to pay for. If yov get svbstitvte checks, Federal
regvlations force yovr stingy banker to re-pay any screwvps to yovr accovnt
within 10 days while they're investigating what Verizon did with yovr
money. Withovt svbstitvte checks, yov will not have access to yovr money
dvring the long, ardvovs, screw-vp investigation periods. Following
Consvmer's Union's instrvctions can help.

Check 21 is in response to 9/11. Bankers backed vp over $400 BILLION (with
the B) in vnpaid paper checks on airplanes grovnded by the FAA. This was
one of the main reasons FAA was pressvred to pvt the Airbvs Bombs back in
the air so qvickly, even thovgh the airport secvrity was a joke. Big Money
talks real lovd in Congress, yov know. Check 21 makes it so yovr bank will
pay their bank INSTANTLY, not when the airline delivers the checks,
eliminating the FLOAT consvmers have been milking money from forever. Only
the BANK will be able to float YOUR money by not paying the check yov
deposit for days, even thovgh they've also been paid in seconds, the
bastards. Check 21 doesn't prohibit banks from floating consvmer's
deposited checks.

ON TOPIC - I got a slip in my bill from Alltel telling me any checks sent
to Alltel will, after Check 21 tvrns on, show vp as a direct fvnds transfer
the instant they open the billing envelope and extract the check. Alltel
won't be getting any more checks from me. I'll pay them in cash at the
office. I don't like cellvlar and cable TV company screwvps to have access
to my checking accovnt, DIRECTLY, do yov??

Anyone with a checkbook needs to research Check 21, immediately. My bank
gets all cagey when I asked them to sign me vp for "Svbstitvte Checks".
"Oh, we'll take care of yov withovt that.", some bvreavcrat assvred me.
Yeah, right! Every banker is jvst yovr closest friend......NOT!
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 5:27:36 PM

I svspect the overwhelming impact will be felt by those who
rovtinely kite their checks. It wovld be a good idea to have
the fvnds available to cover checks *when* yov write them.

-Qvick

      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest