Dragon Age II

thegamersblog

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Reading the initial nerd rage comments about DA II I was quite skeptical of the title to say the least. This made my decision to buy it much harder, especialyl considering it was $59.99.... I did manage to find it off Amazon Download Services and purchased it from their for $47.00. Many people claim the game was dumbed down, sold out, consolized. I'm a hardcore PC gamer at heart but I do play games on consoles as well.

I'm going to say, which I'm sure I'll endure tons of nerd rage from, Dragon Age II, itself, is a good game. I think it's a great sequel so far which I find myself suprised saying. I actually like what they have done with it for the most part. Personally I think it's done a good job of streamlining alot of things of DA:O. I actually like the way the quests are laid out it makes it easier to know what to do and to find things. I think alot of the time spent "playing" alot of modern RPG's that are open ended is just wandering around aimlessly trying to find something, a cave, a quest, etc. I find that boring, but thats just me, I think this is a far better solution.

Graphically, at least using DX11, DA2 is sexy. First PC game in awhile to actually TAX my Radeon 5870 and I'm glad that a developer acutally is taking advantage of the DX11 tech. The HiRes textures that Bioware released, for free, are stunning. This game is gorgeous and way better looking then it's predacessor. In all fairness I'mnot a fan of some of the graphical style they have chosen to use but overall I like the game.

Finally... did they simplify to much? Maybe... but I don't think the game is a sellout by any means. The game is streamlined and hardcore D&D fans who want huge open worlds they can wonder around aimlessly in or spend tons of hours creating that "perfect" potion may be a little disappointed.

The biggest complaint I have is that so far most of my time has been in the same areas. All of which have looked good it would just be nice to see it vary up the environments a little more. But I'm only in the first year. Hope this helps someone.

thegamersblog

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Yeah it was 47.99 here is the link http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-2-Game-Download/dp/B004PGNJG2/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1299861912&sr=8-7. I should also note that there was no client that I had to download so you litterly just download and install the game. I was fairly happy with my purchase from amazon.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
First thing I took notice was:
- Hardcore PC gamer that also plays on consoles (That wouldn't be hardcore, that would mean you're a balanced platform gamer).
- Calling people nerds if they disliked the game (At least I read it that way, there are people who concept arguing as fanboys for some reason).
- Games quests were easier=it's funner then Da : O now (Hunting down quests and aimlessly trying to get them done are my fave :V).

All in all, you made some valid points. I haven't played the full game, still want to although the demo had a few odd bugs when I played it. I won't be buying Dragon Age II right now, but possibly next month.

thegamersblog

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Actually I spend 90% of my gaming on the PC... unless I am forced to get a game on the console. Other then that my Xbox and PS3 are glorified Netflix/blu-ray players. Not having exclusivity to any platform doesn't disqualify you from being a hardcore gamer on any platform. Generally the game sI want to play are on the PC and short of an OMG WTF is this port then I'm generally going to get it on PC or not at all.

I should note/correct that I could care less if people don't like the game. Some people just don't like RPG/Action RPG and there isn't a problem with that. That wasn't the point, if I came off that way I do apologize. I was just wanting to point out that is why many people were complaining. Hating the game on the grounds of I can't potion make or explore endlessly when overall the game does a fantastic job just seems sorta silly. The statement that the game is more Mass Effectish is fairly true.

Most of the bugs I had during the demo arent there now. I had constant problems with lag, load times, crashing, locking up, etc during the demo. I've only had 1 CTD since I bought it and havne't had any other problems and the CTD was probably my fault.

nisallik

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
Yeah, I seriously do not understand all the hate about this game. It feels refreshing just to be a nobody in a city than trying to save the world. There is more talent customization, animations are improved (I like kung-fu movies... so the rogue animations are pretty nice), Nightmare difficulty is actually VERY brutal, etc.

I am now just worried with all the negative reviews I have seen from users, it will scare off people purchasing the game and it will be discontinued. =\

thegamersblog

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
This was why i decided to make the post on DA2 because the game is very good. I mean yes it has it's faults and it's NOT the same as DA1 but games should try to innovate the way that ehy tell their stories and DA2 has done just that. It has taken away some elements to give a very good and steamlined story. I personally love the game, I let the negative hype to get to me on it and I am really glad that I didn't.

I'm really glad that you touched on the animations. I read a comment recently that said the animations were terrible or not realistic. First I have to comment that what about this game is realistic... seriously if you want realism Opreation Flashpoint is your game. But the animations look smooth and fluid. I don't see what there is to complain about when it comes to the animations in this game.

I guess the other strong point is the graphics. I touched on it a bit earlier and it did take me a bit to get used to styled look of the game but once i did you can really see the detail in the game. Especially with the amour/cloths that the NPC/you are wearing. Once you turn on DX11 the suits of armor/robes look FANTASTIC. Just something to keep in mind.

nisallik

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
I finally just finished the game on Nightmare... 54 hours to complete. So I'll try to answer these questions! ;p

Things people hate about DA2:

-) Party members are shallow and forgettable
*The only problems I had with the companions in DA2 is that you can't just go to them whenever you want and just start talking with them. How they did it in Dragon Age 2 is that each companion has a quest in each act which will initiate dialogue with them throughout the quest and there are key moments throughout each act that they might have something to say to you.
The thing I love about these quests is that it seems like all your companions are friends, which you will find them sitting around joking to each other or discussing other important matters.
Overall, I enjoyed several of the companions. Maybe not to the same level as Alistair or Morrigan. But their quests make up for it... A huge improvement over DAO in that regard at least.

-) Dumbed down battle tactics
* This is not true at all, if people think the battle tactics are dumbed down... then they should try a harder difficulty. Nightmare is no joke, you will not find a party based game as hard as Dragon Age 2.

-) Unable to equip party members
* I was a little upset with this to begin with, but I am glad they added it. Each of your companions had a certain flair which would of ruined it with equipping them with tan generic helm #17 and equipped with red generic chest #6. You will find upgrades through each act which will increase their armor, stats, etc. You can equip their weapons (Except Varric's weapon, which he loves) and all the accessories.

-) Lack of cohesive story
* It is a cohesive story, but it just might not be a story that people will enjoy. People are used to saving the world, so it is a huge change of pace for people. This story is a more personal one... and one I enjoyed a lot. =)

thegamersblog

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
I have to agree with the majority of this review. Some key things i noticed in DA2 so far is that DA2's decisions are far more dire. A simple decison can result in epic changes through the game world and at first i hated it but now i understand it a little more. For example taking my sister with me down into the deep roads resulted in some unforseen consquences that reverberated down through the game. I actually like that i can't change their armors for the reasons stated above. It gives all the characters within the game.... character and personality. I prefer this. It also means i can spend less time equiping and more time playing.

As for the story sometimes it could seem a little discombobulated... but for the most part I found it cohesive. I also began to realize that the story is HEAVILY influenced by your decisions. This story seems to follow more of "what would I do today" progression. If that makes any sense.

This definately isn't a traditional RPG but it's a good one. I don't understand the hate.

As for the recent banning of a EA account because of a forum post I find that highly offensive. I can personally say if that happened I would be cracking the game.

nisallik

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008

Oooh! Not to spoil anything, but if you play this game again... take Anders and your brother/sister in the expedition to the Deep Roads... very interesting! (Don't google it or you will ruin a surprise!) =)

frozentundra123456

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I only played the demo, but my main complaint is with the controls and camera. It seems very clumsy to me to use the right mouse to attack and to control the camera, and also to issue a move order. If you try to attack by right clicking and miss, you move there. Very frustrating. Maybe it is just me, dont know.

And it is very strange not to be able to pan the camera by rotating the mouse.

I only played the demo, so I cant comment on the characters or story. But overall, it seems that except for Mass Effect the second game in a series by Bioware is always inferior to the first.

nisallik

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008

I'm surprised to hear this, as it is rather common in MMOs and other third-person games available. BioWare has been using similar controls since the Baldur's Gate series.

To pan the camera, right mouse click/hold and move around the mouse.

The story seems to be a hit and miss with people. I enjoyed it. *shrug*

olin9

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008

thegamersblog do you work for Bioware? This sounds like a corporate sponsored advertisement. Just my 2 cents.

thegamersblog

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
LOL no... i enjoy not working stupid long weeks :p Just point out people find stupid reasons to hate on a game that are easily fixed. How does breaking the security of a game and cracking it sound like a corporate sponsership? Some of you people amuse me.