A7V BIG PROBLEMS (need help!!!)

G

I have been having the weirdest problems with my computer. Here's the situation, any help would be GREATLY appreciated as it may be saving me a good $300(aus). This is gonna be a pretty lengthy post coz i really do need some serious help, i usually can fix anything and everything wrong with pc's and i built the system myself, eg i know my way around pc's. So armed with that knowledge, dig deep and see if you can assist me, at all...

- A7V running in Jumperfree mode
- 1100mhz Tbird
- Thermaltake SuperORB
- 128MB TwinMOS RAM (one stick)
- Leadtek Winfast GeForce2 MX (32MB) (was damaged but i repaired it and it's been tested and works perfectly in other systems and my own Before this problem... therefore it's not causing the problem) (but i will explain this shortly)
- Soundblaster LIVE! Value
- Realtek Network Card (10base)
- AOpen HQ45 Case (250w power supply)
- Yamaha 8x4x24 CDRW
- Teac 32x CDROM
- Seagate 15GB UltraATA-66 5400RPM HDD Master (connected with 80pin shielded cable to the ATA100 connection)
- Fujitsu 6GB Slave (unknown specs... model# MPD3064AT) (connected with 80pin shielded cable to the ATA100 connection)
- Running Windows 98SE

Ok, now you know the specs, here's the situation leading up to the problem. I had been playing around with mIRC and some a**holes decided to send me virii and stuff, i discovered the Sub7 trojan for example. So i backed up my necessary stuff to cd's and went to dos to format, i then realised that i had one image file (to be burnt) that i absolutely needed, but i couldn't get into windows as the virii had stuffed things up... So i decided i would simply delete everything from the HDD manually and then reinstall windows. I started the process and when it finally came to deleting the C:\windows\ folder it took an exeedingly long time so i left it to do it and went to bed, i awoke in the morning and the system had frozen, so i thought little of it and reset. This is where i encounterred my problem, it made a series of continuous long beeps... I checked my manual and it said it was No DRAM installed or Detected. So i fiddled with my ram and changed the socket it was in, and turned the comp back on... Now there were no beeps at all, and the comp didn't even pass the POST (eg no beep). It just sat there with the HDD activity led flashing solidly (eg staying on) and when i restarted, the led went off but there was no response from the computer, it just sat there.

So now i was worried, i unplugged all peripherals, eg HDD's, Floppy, CD's, Sound & Network card... and retried. But the same thing happened, nothing. No beeps, nothing.

So i checked everything on the motherboard and couldn't see any visible change. I figured perhaps it was my BIOS that had been wiped or something similar by a virus as i had heard there was a new virus that did that... So i changed my jumpers around a bit and took it out of jumperfree mode, and then turned it on. I was back where i started, it just did the series of beeps meaning no RAM. So i went to a friend's house and tried all my components in his machine. The RAM worked perfectly (in his A7Pro) and so did the Video card and other peripherals. So i can narrow it down to the CPU or Mobo. But i assume that if it beeps at all, the cpu has to be working... There are no visible markings on either the cpu or the mobo, suggesting no burnouts. Hence my confusion. I have rebuilt the system from scratch 4 times now (taken EVERYTHING out, including the cpu and fan and plugs and mobo from the case) and it's still not working.

Here's the other possibility, the Graphics Card was blown about 2 weeks prior to this problem. I attempted to unlock my clock multiplier on my cpu, never touching anything but the cpu, and ran the system bare on top of the case (had to take the mobo out of the case to get better access to the cpu) and when i turned it back on, there was an arc in the AGP slot and smoke spilled from the card. I checked it, after standing there shaking in fear of the thought of $500 down the drain, and found that there were two pins missing the gold plating and they had lifted off the board, there was also some black burn marks around them, but after a while i realised i could try to repair them and did so... Don't laugh, but i carefully superglued the pins down and cleaned them off, i stuck it back in and it worked perfectly, even tho the AGP slot had small melted parts where the pins had been blown, and it worked perfectly under full load up until this problem.

If you guys have any questions, PLEASE email me at theaudiophile01@hotmail.com (it's my only internet email addy while the comp is dead and i have to use the school comps) or just post back, whichever is easier. You can't imagine how much i need your help, i have tried everything i can think of. My post has been as detailed as i could make it, if you need anymore info please just ask, i will try to help.

Thanks again...
Helplessly, Fraser MacFarlane (aka The Audiophile) (contact me on icq also @ 31578119)

AMD Thunderbird 1100Mhz
Asus A7V
128MB PC133SDRAM
Winfast GeForce2 MX
Win 98

G

Jesse Bessette wrote this to me in an email, here's my response...

SOunds like you tried just about everything...You need
to hook up your friends HDD to your system. You have
to be able to know for sure that its not your HDD...In
your post you didnt mention if you did or not...A
virus is not capable of effecting external parts of
your susyem so i dont believe its a virus...What about
a heating issue??You also need to check other
Hardware...you a friends video card, mem..If you need
more help let me know....I hope i helped a little...

when you resolve this, let me know what is was

=====
Jesse Bessette
http://www.virtualcircuit.com

Thanks for emailing me Jesse, the thing about the HDD couldn't possibly solve my problem, because if you think about it, i said i did a bare boot, eg, nothing attached that didn't need to be, and therefore there was no HDD's at all, usually when you don't have peripherals it still gets through the BIOS and then just says that there is no HDD installed. The thing of heating, i reeeeeally doubt that, i have never had my system overheat even on the hottest of days, it's never gone above a max of 60C. That was on a hot day when the windows were closed, and even then i managed to get it back to 50C easily with some extra fans.

As for trying my friend's video cards and memory and stuff, i tried an OLD PCI S3 Virge but it still had the same effect. Because he tried my memory, and all other bits, i can safely assume that they're all working and that they're not my problem.

So you see, i really do need some in depth help here... I have tried everything i can think of, and i really don't want to give the ppl i bought it off the satisfaction of getting $50 off me when i can fix it myself... So, yeah anyway keep posting ok?

Thanks again,
Fraser

AMD Thunderbird 1100Mhz
Asus A7V
128MB PC133SDRAM
Winfast GeForce2 MX
Win 98

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
I to had a problem like this! Undo the PowerSupply from motherboard take mem out, put powersupply back leaving out the mem, you should get your 3 beeps. Put the mem back and hopefully good to go. I know the power supply thing does not make sense but it was the only way I was able to fix it?

If you don't beep at all, put your cpu in your friends machine.

G

Thanks for that, i will try it in a second and let you know... I think i might have already tried that but i'll give anything a go. It's good to hear someone else has had the same problem as me... Makes me a little less worried.

I think the one thing i didn't test was the CPU in my friend's machine but that was because i wasn't sure if his mobo could take a 1.1ghz (Asus A7Pro) so, i will have to try it in another friends'.

Thanks for the advice!
Fraser

AMD Tbird 1.1Ghz & SuperORB
Asus A7V
128MB PC133 SDRAM
Winfast GeForce2 MX
Win98 SE

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm pretty sure it is not a virus problem. I think it has to do with the puff of smoke that came off your motherboard or AGP slot. It may have worked for a little while afterwards but I think it finally gave out on you. You should just replace the board and hope that nothing else was damaged.

G

Yeah see the thing with that is, it really wasn't that badly affected, i agree that it COULD feasibly be that. But i don't really think it's likely. The AGP slot has a melted bit but when i looked inside the pins were still intact and then there's the fact that it did work for 2 weeks, that's not just a little while in my eyes, i ran every test i could and it always turned out positive, the Card worked and the slot didn't get affected.

The other thing is, it was the card that had the smoke, i can verify that coz i actually pulled the card straight out as soon as the power cord was out, it was still smoking slightly... The smoke came from the pins getting stipped of the gold coating and the board actually getting singed. The motherboard had the same smell as the card but that was just from it being in the same place, the slot is fine now other than the melted plastic. It's in working order.

Any other suggestions? I am trying to get out of paying thr $300 for a new motherboard so, that suggestion is out = ]

Thanks

Asus A7V
128MB PC133 SDRAM
Winfast GeForce2 MX
Win98 SE<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheAudiophile on 03/04/01 11:02 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I think the A7pro does, in fact don't all MB support up to 1.2Ghz?

Anyway if you don't want to try your CPU in his MB try it the other way around, his CPU in your MB.

When I first got my A7V I had the problem of going nowhere so I took out everything and still no go, so I disconnect the PSU and reconnected it and it's worked fine since then.

You've unlocked you CPU so I would check just to make sure there not touching, might have shifted or something, you just never know.

You say you live in Oz, same here. don't live in Adelaide by any chance?

<b><font color=red>Facts speek for themselfs</b></font color=red>

G

I will have to try my cpu in his board if you think it'll support it... Either way i really do need to test it to see if it is working or not... You never can tell...

About the unlocking, after i unlocked it (pencil lines) the video card fried so i took the lines off the cpu again just in case i had to take it back and the ppl would blame it on OCing... So ya see it's locked still... So that's not my problem.

Thanks for your post tho...
Fraser
PS: I live in Brisbane...

Asus A7V
128MB PC133 SDRAM
Winfast GeForce2 MX
Win98 SE

G

Well i have had an offer by a techie friend of mine to check out my system for me free of charge... Nice guy..

But if any of you have any ideas, please keep posting ok coz i would still prefer to get it working myself. Thanks

Asus A7V
128MB PC133 SDRAM
Winfast GeForce2 MX
Win98 SE

G

There are no visible markings on either the cpu or the mobo, suggesting no burnouts
I know what you are trying to say, and I'm not suggesting it is the CPU- but if you MELTED part of the AGP and you say smoke, AND you used superglue, I think you have more damage than you realize... you know those "static warnings"? That's all about invisible but very real damage- and you are talking about visible damage. There are all sorts of things that could be fried out- I'm betting it is your board.

G

Ok well now ya got me worried, if you say it's a static thing... then maybe you could be right... But i can't see why the board would suddenly give out after working perfectly for 2 weeks or so... It just doesn't make sense, and the superglue, well there was so little of that it's very unlikely that it caused it, i used a toothpick to apply it, and it was the tiniest little smeer of it, JUST enough to keep it on... no surplus...

But when i get it tested by this techie friend of mine i guess we can sort that out hmm?

Thanks

Asus A7V
128MB PC133 SDRAM
Winfast GeForce2 MX
Win98 SE

G

I have been told that perhaps it is the AGP slot that is malfunctioning. I have checked out the motherboard and i even tried running it without ram or a video card... And it still just beeped continuously saying no DRAM installed or detected. I figure now that the Motherboard has just killed itself, the cpu is fried (somehow) or the AGP melt has disfigured something minorly related to the RAM slots and the BIOS is thinking it's the RAM causing the problem. Give me your opinion.

Asus A7V
128MB PC133 SDRAM
Winfast GeForce2 MX
Win98 SE

PatMcGroin

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
It may be a shot in the dark but have you thought about your power supply? They dont do so well when there is smoke. I know it was from the video card but the power supply was supplying, so it was in the circut. Any time a power supply is allowed to short it gennerally supplies the maximum voltage possible for that instant and that is very hard on the supply source. If you wonder how that works just try brushing a crowbar against the battery terminals in your car. Even if the battery doesnt explode it the crowbar sure doesnt impart any of lifes good juju on it, and computer power supplies have proven to be much more sensative.

You Dont Want To Be The Last to Know Anything.

G

It could be that, but i don't think it is... For some reason it just doesn't seem like that to me... It's really confusing, you gotta see it first hand to see what i mean, it just sits there beeping it's little head off constantly even though everything looks right, it's so weird, there's nothing visibly wrong with it... I can just sit there listening to it beep for ages, watching, expecting something to pop into my head so i can fix it... But nothing... And i even took the power supply apart and reassembled it... And there was nothing blown there, not even the fuses...

It seems that every time you guys give me an idea i blow it down doesn't it? sorry bout that but it's just that i have basically tried all the stuff you're saying... and nothing's worked... I'm not a rude bastard like it seems...

Keep trying PLEASE!

Thanks again
<b><i> The Audiophile... </i></b>

Asus A7V
128MB PC133 SDRAM
Winfast GeForce2 MX
Win98 SE

G

Just wanna know, if the Geforce 2 MX (NV11) is a bottleneck for the T-bird 1,X GHZ.
Because the benchmarks said that a T-bird of 900Mhz is the max. you can have with the Geforce 2MX, otherwise your higher T-bird will work (on 3D apliccations) as a 900Mhz max. cause of the slowly Geforce 2 MX.
Rahter get a Geforce 2 GTS?
THANKS!.

G

Seems silly but you tried everything but a Power Supply it has 3 voltages so one of those could be zapped.
Can't hurt to try A 300 or 350 Watt I had to upgrade my 250 to solve my problems..

G

sorry- I'm NOT saying it's a static thing- what I am saying is that if a bit of static does its damage (invisibly with just a bit of juice) you can imagine the damage some serious arcing that melts plastic can do.

dhlucke

Polypheme
There's a general rule when it comes to computers: It's generally the simplest solution that solves the problem.

I would try another powersupply first and then I would try to see if another cpu will work on your board (or preferably try your cpu on another board, just to be safe for whoever lends you their processor).

Odds are it is the P/S though since it might have gotten shorted. These boards are also very sensitive so visible damage is not good. But maybe you'll get lucky and just need a new P/S.

"I think I brained my damage"

G

You're probably right and the MX does slow it down a little, possibly not that much but it sounds close. I couldn't afford anything more than the MX when i got it but i will be upgrading to an Ultra soon

Asus A7V
128MB PC133 SDRAM
Winfast GeForce2 MX
Win98 SE

G

Ahh i gotcha... Static... Right well i think, that the fact that it shorted, although it scared the hell outta me, didn't actually harm the motherboard in any way other than the little melted bit. yeah it hurt it, but it was still functioning...

The other thing is, why would the comp even start, power up my hdds, cds, floppy, monitor and [-peep-] if the powersupply was dead? Everything starts, nothing works.

Asus A7V
128MB PC133 SDRAM
Winfast GeForce2 MX
Win98 SE

G

My other question is, if i were to go out and get myself a good quality 300w ps. Do you think i could just take out the 250 and slot in the 300 in it's place? (I know how to take it out, just not sure if it will work coz i have never done it before).

Also, can you recommend me a good brand or something? Coz i like my case, and i wanna keep that, but if you think trying another ps would help, then i will.. I might try my friend's first tho... hmmm... when the hell can i do that, dammit... next weekend...

Well, thanks guys, if you get anymore ideas then please post away...

Asus A7V
128MB PC133 SDRAM
Winfast GeForce2 MX
Win98 SE

G

Here's a suggestion i got from a friend of mine, do you guys think this would help too? Coz i'm not too sure about the whole foil thing...

I have some suggestions. 1 If you haven't take the battery out of your MB. Then jumper clear CMOS. Start there. It sounds like you know your stuff bout pc's. So you probably have tried that.

Next since all your peripherals seem to be functioning properly you got 3 components left. 1. MB 2.CPU 3.Case (be sure to only have power cord connected in the back. Keyboards have been known to send pc's on a field day.

Try it with only power cord attatched. If that doesn't work remove the motherboard from the computer. Remove the CPU chip and cmos battery (button battery). This sounds very unorthodox but I have fixed 30 or so boards this method. Make sure all components you can remove from the motherboard are taken off the motherboard (ESPECIALLY POWER) then take a piece of aluminum foil and press the foil all over the back of the board.

what this does is short out all capacitors that could be powering bad memory or settings on your motherboard. Make sure you contact all electonic points on the bottom of your motherboard. Leave the foil pressed on there for about 5 minutes. Remove foil and try to start your board again. Also you may want to jumper the memory down to 100mhz maximum.

This usually is my last method of jumping a board back to life.

Asus A7V
128MB PC133 SDRAM
Winfast GeForce2 MX
Win98 SE

G

Ok guys, thanks for all your help, but as it turns out... i have admitted defeat and given the puter to my techo friend to test. Good bloke that...

Anyway, thanks again...

Asus A7V
128MB PC133 SDRAM
Winfast GeForce2 MX
Win98 SE

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not sure if this is any help but i had this same beeping problem on my old pentium 200 MMX. turns out that there was a flaw on the mobo causing the power supply cables located adjacent to the RAM to have bad contact every time i touch the RAM or cable. i pulled out the cable and RAM sticks and pluged them in again wriggling them a bit to make sure they're tight. after a few attempts it came alive again and the PCs still working

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Now have your friend buy you a new power supply and MB. 250 watts is too small for a large T-bird. Anytime you smoke a MB you should just pull out your wanker and have a leak all over it. You can't hurt it any worse!

TRENDING THREADS