PS3 really loud noise

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Hi,

I have this problem, PS3 makes really loud fan noise, even when I play music. Not long ago, I replaced it's thermal compound on the gpu and cpu (actually twice), I used Akasa 450, but it keeps doing it and it's really annoying and crazy..

I don't know what to do, I cleaned the fan inside, the motherboard, everything is nice and clean.
What is going on?

kitkat12012

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
what kind of loud noise?

like load mechanical noise? like a broken part? something loose? something that scratches against something?

if so, you might have broken something with the fan. check to see if there are some cracks or loose screws. then you might wanna look into a replacement fan.

or is it a loud blowing noise like it's operating too hard?

if so, it might mean that the system is overheating and the fan is trying hard to keep it cool. reexamine your thermal compound application maybe it's not transferring the heat correctly. maybe the heatsinks are not installed correctly.

brandoncatz

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Also, probably obvious, but try to give your system as much breathing room as possible. My fan is loud, but it's in a somewhat enclosed area, but it is the best spot for it... so I just deal with the noise. Also, there are youtube vids of people splicing case fans and usb cables to make usb fans that they plug in to a PS3 USB port and stick on the side or the back to create more airflow.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Yes, it is fan noise, of course. it doesn't matter if I play only music, it will go crazy as it would be overheating, which makes sense, I have plenty of room in my living room and I have the ps3 sitting on a lil bench,horizontal(not standing up). But as I said, I replaced the thermal compound twice, the first time I gave it a hard clean inside as I bought it second hand, then I thought the thermal compound couldnt be doing it's job so I replaced it again and took the fan apart from the cooler,gave it a hard clean, it looks awesome, but it goes really loud.

I am thinking in buying another make of thermal compound, I know that it doesn't have to be silicone based, any suggestions or any other good make of thermal compound that will do a good job?

I just don't want to get one of those usb fans, they mess up the airflow...

Thanks for your replies

brandoncatz

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
I've considered a USB fan because of the location of my PS3. The hot air doesn't have very many places to go, so the fan kicks in to high gear within 15-30 minutes.

In terms of thermal grease, I recently picked up the Zalman brand. It pretty consistently is rated better than both AS5 and MX-2. Not sure your location, but if near a Fry's (CA & TX) you can purchase it from them along with the AS5 thermal compound cleaning products.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
OK, I'm not too sure of buying that one as it comes in a bottle and looks like you have to mix it yourself? read some reviews and some people just can't get the right mixture. I was thinking probably going for the Arctic silver 5, I am in UK btw(thanks for the link,I saw the reviews),this one costs about 6£ here

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=57&subid=27

I hope to get it right, because if this one doesn't work..then..I don't know what else.I just hate playing GT5 and listening to the fan instead of the game!

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I just applied the Arctic silver 5 on it, cleaned the whole fan and heatsink put the ps3 back together but the fan keeps on going loud. Was this not supposed to help with the cooling? What is wrong with this?

brandoncatz

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Wish I could help you. I have the same issue. I actually brought my system over to my parents house, who have their own PS3, switched it out with mine for the savegames and after about 10 minutes my mom said "What is that noise?" Turns out my problem isn't the somewhat enclosed location, since it was very much in the open at their house. If you have the funds, you should check out GameStop. You can trade in your PS3 and buy a brand new slim 160GB model for $100-$125.

Indoside

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011

It sounds like you could had possibly purchased a system that has been reflowed because of the yellow light of death. It has been noted that certain consoles will run loud after the reflow. As far as thermal compound I would intentionally stay away from silicone, and try silver based. Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS