Windows 8 for new computer build

TsgtGene

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
I've been waiting for windows 8 release before doing a new computer build. What version of windows 8
will have Microsoft support included? (not OEM) I currently have 10 year old Dell with xp. I'm not doing an upgrade. It will be all new parts. (New everything.)
Thanks.

Solution
Hopefully this will alievate some concers. If you have a problem, you can bet your bottom dollar that someone else aready had that promlem. Be surprised at just googling your question - will more than likely find the answer. If that fails, then just ask your question here at Tom's plus there are some other excellent sites such as anandtech.

Enjoy (At one time I was also TSgt Gene - Gene being my middle name which is what I went by)

TsgtGene

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

I'm not planing on a touch screen system. I don't see any reason not to use Window 8. All versions offered at Newegg.com are listed as OEM versions. Newegg states "To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see the full package "Retail" product offerings". I have not seen such an offering listed. OEM is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. I'm not building a computer for resale, it is for my personnal use. Am I missing something in this process of
building my own computer. Hope you or someone can help. Thanks

Building your own computer for Your own use still qualifies you for using an OEM version of windows - Do not need to 'resell.
Vast majority of my copies are either upgrade or OEM versions.
OEM are tied to the computer (MB) that it is activated on. can not be moved to a New MB as part of an upgrade, can be moved if orginal MB dies. MS does Not support "troubleshooting" OS problems on an OEM version - But no reall biggy with so many forums floating around.

SteveAt57

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012

No, it is the marketing text that's missing something. I think what Microsoft is saying is that they don't want me calling them if I have a problem with the Windows 8 System Builder DVD now in transit to me. That's fine. I suppose there will eventually be a support-included version for more money.

Re Windows 8 itself, if the Metro/Modern interface annoys me, I'll hide it with a freeware program, or by putting Winkey-D in the startup. In the meanwhile, faster booting and the Storage Spaces feature sound good. My existing computer is dying, and I want the new sauce for my next one.

SteveAt57

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
I want to improve my last answer to TsgtGene, but since it is from last week, I'm replying rather than editing.

The OEM version is, according to Microsoft, fine for use in a personal use hobby build, even if some of the marketing literature seems to say otherwise. This Microsoft web page provides the formalities:'

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/EN/LICENSING/sblicensing/Pages/personal-use-license.aspx#fbid=c68fU6H02nd

If you are building a PC for your personal use or installing an additional operating system in a virtual machine, you can now purchase OEM System Builder software using the Personal Use License.

TsgtGene

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

Thanks for the info Steve.... I was looking for a version that also offered Microsoft support. The link you
provided, states, •Microsoft support is not included. I Think I'm going to go with Windows 7. May upgrade in the future to windows 8. I'm to new at this computer game.... to go without Microsoft support
on my first computer build. Thanks again.
Tsgt Gene

Hopefully this will alievate some concers. If you have a problem, you can bet your bottom dollar that someone else aready had that promlem. Be surprised at just googling your question - will more than likely find the answer. If that fails, then just ask your question here at Tom's plus there are some other excellent sites such as anandtech.

Enjoy (At one time I was also TSgt Gene - Gene being my middle name which is what I went by)

Solution

TsgtGene

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

Thanks Chief…. I appreciate your input. If I buy a product, I expect the manufacture to stand behind it, with support, even if for only 90 days. I do understand what your saying, Thanks again. (I too, go by my middle name. 9 years of service.)