Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Should i buy WoW or Rift?

Last response: in Video Games
March 14, 2011 12:53:15 AM

I am wondering from someone who has played both Rift and WoW, which one should i buy? Are people from WoW going to be going over to Rift? I want a strong community with good PvP. When i get my desktop repaired over the next few days, i will be able to run WoW at max quality. How are the graphics on both? But overall i would like an opinion from someone who has played both games to see what they like best.

Thanks for your help :D 

More about : buy wow rift

March 14, 2011 1:07:47 AM

Wow you will spend more $$$ You need original, and 3 expansions. If you dont have close to $100 for a game WoW is not an option.
Score
March 14, 2011 1:16:10 AM

daship said:
Wow you will spend more $$$ You need original, and 3 expansions. If you dont have close to $100 for a game WoW is not an option.

Do you think that WoW is much better than Rift to spend that money? If it is i dont want to spend my money on something i wont like in the first place. If WoW is that much better than i would consider spending money to get the expansions also.
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 14, 2011 1:20:16 AM

Both look fun to me, however I havent tried rift, and I have 3 lvl 80 plus on WoW, so I am burned out on it.
Score
March 14, 2011 6:34:19 AM

Haha, I'm asking the same exact thing! Only, I have a dormant account with a couple of level 80's on it. Looking to get back into MMORPG for a fun, cheap timekiller. Plus, I'm currently building a new PC.

Rift has gotten mixed reviews, seems good, not great; but it has potential. Do you have a PC that will run Rift? Because running WoW requires less system requirements. Blizzard is interested in maintaining and building the biggest player base possible, so their games are usually more accessable for people with lower-end PC's. The computer I currently have, a lowly pentium 4 with 2 gb of ram and a 3 year old GPU was running the last WoW xpac at reasonable rates. Well, except for in Dalaran...

Also, Rift is a bit of a gamble, as are most new MMO titles these days. WoW has a massive community, and it's not going anywhere any time soon, no matter what anyone else says. Blizzard is solid, and there's a reason that WoW is the most popular MMO by leaps and bounds.

But again, Rift seems like it has a lot of potential. I guess the question is for you, do you have a PC that will run Rift, and are you willing to take the chance that most of your player base will disappear within a year if the game doesn't succeed?

Personally, I want to see more people play Rift so something other than World of Warcraft builds up a player base, and builds some reasonable competition thus forcing Blizzard to make an even better game.

So, to sum it up.

Play Rift because the graphics are better, it's newer, fresher and it builds on WoW's legacy.

Play World of Warcraft because it's accessable, there's a massive community with tons of great people in it, and it'll run on your 4 year old PC just fine!

Score
March 14, 2011 9:19:56 AM

Neither. Wait for Star Wars: The Old Republic, Diablo 3, and/or Tera Online to be released. Or if you prefer free-to-play, wait for APB:Reloaded or Age of Empires Online.
Score
March 14, 2011 11:10:51 AM

scorpinot said:
Neither. Wait for Star Wars: The Old Republic, Diablo 3, and/or Tera Online to be released. Or if you prefer free-to-play, wait for APB:Reloaded or Age of Empires Online.

All depends if it's as awesome as it should be, but I would say try APB reloaded as well.
Score

Best solution

March 14, 2011 7:52:15 PM

I currently play both... While the overall gameplay is just about identical between these 2 games there are some differences.

Rift- Great Graphics, Great character/class creation, open world raids(Rifts) can be both fun and annoying from level 1-50. Leveling content is pretty linear and can sometimes get boring. I have not gotten to end game content yet so I cannot comment on that. I can tell you that I am level 30 out of 50 and have only been through 3 complete zones, so the world map is pretty large. oh and you get 3 profs which is pretty cool.

WOW- A lot of people, good community of websites that you can go to if stuck, level 1-85 is a grind, once you get to 85 the content is pretty cool but unless your in a leet guild prepare for a lot of progression runs on raids. Plenty to do, pvp, profs, raids, heroics, AH grinding.

I might sound a little high on rift, but i have an 85 on wow, and ya know i find it kinda boring at this point, Rift has been a refreshing change while being eerily similar to WOW in so many ways... Right down to some of the spells you cast which i find hilarious.

If Rift continues to develop and grow its community I can see it being my primary MMO, i only currently play wow for the comraderie of my guild.

Hope this helps.
March 14, 2011 8:28:06 PM

I have played wow for 6 yrs my wife for 4 yrs. I love wow and it's been good times. I just think their fixing to be on the declining end of things. You get a few good expansions and then it gets very hard to keep it going. 15+million people can't all be made happy.

Go with Rift, it's new, better graphics, and seems to have a bright future. WoW is tons of fun that over 15 million people have enjoyed for years, but it's going to start declining soon (if not already).
Score
March 15, 2011 1:23:57 AM

I haven't played rift and haven't played wow for about a year but I'd just like to point that few people play the original content. I think they were trying to do something about this with cataclysm but i'm not sure. I remember being very lonely leveling from 1-70 because everyone had already reached the end game. WoW isn't the most complicated mmo but the learning curve can be intimidating as noobie playing with people who have years worth of experience. Rift is new, you will be learning/leveling up the same time as everyone else.

Just my 2 cents!
Score
March 16, 2011 3:06:55 AM

Buy Guild Wars get all 3 campaigns and the expansion for around $30 if you buy the ultimate edition, also there is no monthly service fee and they have been adding a ton of new stuff recently.
Score
March 16, 2011 4:51:30 PM

I like Rift because it is new... this feeling is likely to go away sometime, but for now I like it, so I spend most of my time on Rift.
I like Wow but i have played it for years and long for something different and new. Cataclysm was a good expansion in my opinion, but lots of people think otherwise.

Its impossible to know which you will like more, my suggestion is to try them out... see which one you like and stick with it.
Score
March 16, 2011 8:02:11 PM

Take advantage of the free trials it should give you enough of a feel for the game to know if you like it or not. Also, if you have a friend that plays they can always send you a longer free trial. I know WOW, GW, EVE, and numerous other games offer free trials, not sure about Rift, give them a spin its worth the time to not end up wasting your money.
Score
March 17, 2011 2:21:00 AM

Rift is better for me. I have played WOW for 5 years. I want to try sth. new, like Rift.
Score
March 17, 2011 8:53:49 AM

Rift is an awesome game. There is nothing original but it takes the best parts of previous MMO's. I don't know whether it can grow to the size of WOW but the community is very new and you won't be so far behind now if you start on Rift. I couldn't imagine starting from scratch leveling to 85 with a new WoW toon.
Score
March 17, 2011 3:16:55 PM

Ripthruster said:
Rift is an awesome game. There is nothing original but it takes the best parts of previous MMO's. I don't know whether it can grow to the size of WOW but the community is very new and you won't be so far behind now if you start on Rift. I couldn't imagine starting from scratch leveling to 85 with a new WoW toon.

the level grind to 85 in Wow isnt that bad now, they set up all of the old world quests with the same type of feel as the 80-85 quests, so its pretty quick and there are always the new bulletin boards letting you know which area you can go to to get something relevant in you level range, the worst part is currently BC level content and Wrath content (Wrath content is particularly brutal. imo)

Im still taking my time with Rift and enjoying it a lot, did my second dungeon last night Darkening Deeps and I think I am a little high for the range that you are supposed to try it at, but it was still very challenging or at least the 3rd boss was.
(I actually think the dps of the group just were kinda bad, but whatever.)
Score
March 17, 2011 8:30:08 PM

Im sure Blizzard fixed the price issue for new WoW players. I think the fist game is only $5 the second is $10 third is $20. Its a cool game I haven't played rift but of coarse like other have stated you can try WoW for free and see what you think.
Score
March 17, 2011 9:17:19 PM

cburke82 said:
Im sure Blizzard fixed the price issue for new WoW players. I think the fist game is only $5 the second is $10 third is $20. Its a cool game I haven't played rift but of coarse like other have stated you can try WoW for free and see what you think.

The pricing you have listed were only for a limited time, during the holiday season, currently Vanilla Wow is 20 retail, The Burning Crusade xpac is 20 retail, Wrath of the Lich King is 30 retail and Cataclysm is 40 retail, of course there are different deals like the Battle Chest and whatnot and you can probably find it cheaper at lots of places, but Battle.net isnt one of them.
Score
March 17, 2011 9:19:39 PM

easymark26 said:
The pricing you have listed were only for a limited time, during the holiday season, currently Vanilla Wow is 20 retail, The Burning Crusade xpac is 20 retail, Wrath of the Lich King is 30 retail and Cataclysm is 40 retail, of course there are different deals like the Battle Chest and whatnot and you can probably find it cheaper at lots of places, but Battle.net isnt one of them.

well then.....lol I do think Blizzard should do Something like around $70 for everything being the old stuff just serves as quests for leveling lol
Score
April 2, 2011 2:29:35 AM

WOW is an established game with LOTS of content and multiple ways to level. Rift is new, and still has some bugs to work out. Rift is definitely more challenging than WOW, and not just because it's new. In WOW I can take on 3 or 4 mobs with my eyes closed. In Rift you have to plan your strategy a bit more carefully to survive. The instances in Rift, especially the first time you try them, are very hard.

The graphics in rift are more high-resolution, but WOW has good graphic design which makes up for its lower end graphics. WOW has a lot more area to explore (so far), but then again it's been out for five years and is on its third expansion.

Rift adds lots of nice touches, like artifacts and, of course, rifts, which open up periodically around the world. I like that, when you approach a rift, you can automatically join the group to help close it. No invites needed--it's automatic. Unfortunately, this means some useless people can occasionally get in your group but generally everyone is trying their best.

WOW has more classes, but Rift has a LOT more options for the class that you choose. WOW's racial abilities are more distinct and useful, Rift's are fairly lame.

To me, both games are a lot of fun. I'm currently playing Rift much more than WOW but I'm sure the newness factor will wear off over time.
Score
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 27, 2011 3:53:08 PM

I play both, and i do find rift a little dull and colourless, even with my brand new custom built PC, and it's so much like WOW that i might as well play wow, also it is harder to navigate the screen controls, and there isn't much out there yet in terms of help when you want to know something, so im sticking to wow for now and keeping rift for later when it has grown more.
Score
June 27, 2011 4:45:26 PM

WoW will cost you more money, but will be more worth it. Rift is pretty much a carbon copy of WoW, the content isn't as developed and less people play it. If you are looking to play a MMO, WoW is your best option at this point. I believe once GW2 and TOR come out, WoW may see some competition, but as of now, none of the other MMO's are worth playing.

Things to consider before starting WoW or any other MMO:

1. MMO's are a grind. You won't ever get to a point where you've "beaten the game". You will spend alot of time leveling your characters, and then even more time getting armor and achievements once they are at level cap.

2. MMO's are not easy for new people. The environments are full of expert players, and designed to cater to the needs of these players. Expect to be "ganked".

3. MMO's are highly addictive. This kind of rolls off of point 1, but there's always going to be a carrot on a string in front of your face, pulling you into more hours worth of gameplay for some piece of equipment or achievement.

4. It is going to take time to get "good" at the game. You aren't going to come in to a MMO and just inherently be good at it. There are thousands of spells, abilities, classes, etc.. that need to be learned and mastered before you really know what you are doing.

All this being said, if you really want to start playing one of these games, they are fun to play, and can provide hours worth of "something to do". I've thoroughly enjoyed my WoW career up to this point, coming from a fresh start in 2005, and being involved in multiple U.S. top 100 raiding guilds through each expansion, and having multiple gladiator titles.

These games can be fun, but don't start one if you don't have a lot of spare time to dedicate to it.
Score
June 30, 2011 4:13:34 AM

Personally I would go with Rift, I have played WoW and personally I love the game also. Both games are great. I love Rift though, the player base is getting higher and higher, also Rift has a more mature comunity than WoW. People are getting to lvl 85 and dont know what to do in WoW anymore. Same thig will happen with any MMO but Rift is so new and unique im sure people wont get bored of it for years. The whole Rift game is awsome from PVP to PvE, quests, Dungeons, Raids, Protecting the City's from random raids through out the day.

The comunity is so amazing. One minute a rift opens the 2 then 5 then before you know it every spot on your map is covered in Rifts! Everyone stops what there doing and joins the huge battles and you can join a raid or rift even at low levels under 10! Most of all the character selection is amazing! So many options to choose from its amazing. You make make a warrior with ranged attacks or a cleric with melee attack and healing powers, there is sooo many options to choose from! 32 to be exact!

If questing is your thing then Rift has got it, each quest brings you to another and each quest has an amazing story behind it that goes along so well with the game. If PvP is your thing then Rift offers such unique maps and lvling options and a strong community to put a good fight. I personally love Rift its an awsome game.

WoW I would give 7.5 out 10, Its been a great game over the years and has given me what I wanted in an MMO. Rift is a 9.8 out of 10. It is new, graphics are awsome, character selection is amazing and the overall game suprises me each day with all of the awsome things and how unique the game is. People say Rift is to much like WoW but I beg to differ, anyone who has played wow over the years and trys rift for a month or two will notice what a difference it is and all of its different options it gives you and will overall satisfy you in the MMO world.
Score
July 2, 2011 8:24:19 PM

played massvie amoutns of both and I can say its essentially the same core game. However WOW is going out of itsway to make it user friendly by dumbing down such as addons that does everything for you and a broken economy from years of people controlling the market and gold farming. WoW have 11 million, not 15 million players, and over half of those are in Asia alone and there are barely anyone to party with for low level isntance as most people run around on their lv 85 toons sitting in dalaran and just sitting until they have to raid. Rift have a beginning economy and while not as user friendly it requires you to do more work to accomplish what you can do in WOW and have less content for now but more lower level players to party and adventure with so it is easier starting out.
Score
July 2, 2011 8:54:03 PM

Neither - unless you are single. the only wife or gf that says they dont mind you playing instead of not paying attention to them is lying.
Score
July 4, 2011 5:44:15 AM

Get Rift. WoW is soon going to be free-to-play for the first 20 levels, so you can test it out and see if you like it then. If you do, $20 will get you full access plus the Burning Crusade expansion, and you'll be no large sum of cash shorter.

I'm going to try WoW one of these days, to see what the fuss is about... :D 
Score
August 7, 2011 6:32:44 PM

Guys, speaking of free, I've got something that will help you make up your mind on Rift.

Part of the trouble with MMO's, as mentioned, is that they're a grind.

I've got some free keys for the beta version of a Rift bot. 500 keys, to be exact.

That may help you more fairly review the game without spending a ton of time only to be disappointed.

Here's the spreadsheet of keys: http://www.editgrid.com/user/jb.aiobot/rift_logins_spre...

Just mark "Y" in the reserved column for the key you choose.

And here's the program download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?0lj65otgg8a4are

Who made it? The same Chinese developers who made AIO Bot. We don't have a program description yet, although you might be able to find something in Chinese.

Why are we giving away keys? They asked us to hit 1000 logins in the beta as a condition for granting us exclusive reseller rights. So yes, this is real, not a scam, no strings attached.

Also, if you want your own private key that's not on the spreadsheet, then you can email me at jb.aiobot@gmail.com and I'll hook you up.

Rift looks sweet, but everyone's different when it comes to taste in MMO's. Fortunately, you don't have to spend a ton of time just to find out whether you'll like the game.

As always, any feedback would be immensely appreciated. You have my email.

~JB
Score
August 11, 2011 9:23:09 AM

Shinedog7 said:
I am wondering from someone who has played both Rift and WoW, which one should i buy? Are people from WoW going to be going over to Rift? I want a strong community with good PvP. When i get my desktop repaired over the next few days, i will be able to run WoW at max quality. How are the graphics on both? But overall i would like an opinion from someone who has played both games to see what they like best.

Thanks for your help :D 

Hi,

Sign up for a WoW starter edition. It is free to play till level 20. No time limit. Play all you want.

You do not need to get all the expansions on day 1. The content is massive. I doubt if you can consume them at one go.

So, what I would do is to sign up for a free account. Play it and see if you like it.

If so, you can get the first WoW + 1st expansion. It costs US$20 and one month of subscription too (I think). This will last you for a while (like 1 to 3 months) depending on how fast you progress to level 70. And if you play multiple toons, it may even last longer.

After that, you can get the Lich King expansion for US$40 (and another month of subscription I think). Levelling from 70 to 80 really does take a while (like another 1 to 2 months).

Once you reach there and feel that you want to see more, you can get the Cataclysm expansion for US$30. This is where the "end game" is. I have been playing Cataclysm for like ... 8 months+? Still much to do ...

I hope this helps. Bottom line is, you don't have to get ALL the expansions at one go. You shouldn't.
Score
August 19, 2011 7:08:43 PM

Best answer selected by shinedog7.
Score
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 19, 2011 9:44:46 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!