OID for Linksys WAP54G?

Does anyone have any useful OIDs for the Linksys WAP54? I'm especially
interesting in Client connections or authenticated clients or something
to that effect...

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 08:44:43 -0500, Lars M. Hansen
<badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:

>Does anyone have any useful OIDs for the Linksys WAP54? I'm especially
>interesting in Client connections or authenticated clients or something
>to that effect...

Good luck. Linksys uses a limited subset of SNMP to do configuration
and setup. All that SNMP does is set some values and return a few
results. No ANS.1, no vendor specific OID's, therefore, no MIB. If
you walk the MIB tree, you'll see some of the ID information, followed
by some glop that can be identified as settable values. I tried to
reverse engineer a WAP11 and found a long binary OID that was all the
status information on one line. I decoded some of it and suspect I
could figure out the rest. However, I was looking for things like
number of associations, signal strength, S/N ratio, and other useful
stuff. They apparently weren't there, so I gave up. I also found
that if I polled this OID repeatedly, the AP would eventually hang.
If I find my notes, I'll pass it on.

Incidentally, the D-Link DWL-900AP+ has a similar SNMP misfeature with
no MIB available.

Good luck.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:34:25 -0800, Jeff Liebermann spoketh

>Good luck. Linksys uses a limited subset of SNMP to do configuration
>and setup. All that SNMP does is set some values and return a few
>results.

I figured that was going to be the answer :(

Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 01:59:23 GMT, Lars M. Hansen
<badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:34:25 -0800, Jeff Liebermann spoketh
>

>>Good luck. Linksys uses a limited subset of SNMP to do configuration
>>and setup. All that SNMP does is set some values and return a few
>>results.
>
>I figured that was going to be the answer :(

Yep. What you probably want is an access point that supports the
ieee802dot11 private MIB. None of the cheap AP's do that because of
the processing horsepower required to grind the full ANS.1 tree plus
the wireless/bridge private add-ons. Methinks the cheapest of the
bunch that does real SNMP is the Netgear WG302:
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WG302.php
which costs about $250. That quite a bit more than about $70 for the
WAP54G.

If all you want is traffic analysis, that can be done at the router.
If you want MAC layer stuff (retrans, connections, RSSI, S/N, etc) it
has to be done in the access point (radio). There are scripts that
invoke the web page configurations, extract the numbers, and return
them in a form suitable for plotting. If the AP has a telnet
interface, it's even easier to extract values.

# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in

> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 01:59:23 GMT, Lars M. Hansen
> <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:34:25 -0800, Jeff Liebermann spoketh

> Yep. What you probably want is an access point that supports the
> ieee802dot11 private MIB. None of the cheap AP's do that because

Jeff: Contact me for a copy of the DWL-900AP+ MIB which covers the
..iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises branch, including the
..dlk80211bPlusDot11 (sic) branch which implements IEEE 802.11d Annex
D.

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.