Can AP client mode forward DHCP packets?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 22, 2004 11:12:56 AM

Hi,

I'm currently using the following wired setup:

DSLModem---Hub-------Router--IPPhone
| |
PC PC

Now, the line between the hub and the router goes through my whole
house and I wanted to get rid of it so I bought a Linksys WRT54G and a
WAP54G.
My reasoning was the following:

DSLRouter---WRT54-)) ((--WAP54G--Hub--Router--IPPhone

((-PC PC

The WAP54G is running in Client mode. The reason for this is that I
want to be able to connect my laptop wirelessly to the WRT54G.

Now comes the tricky part. The ISP is handing out the IP's via DHCP
and I'm wondering if it's possible for all devices (except the
IPPhone) to get an IP address from this DHCP pool?

How do I get the DHCP traffic over the wireless connection? Or in more
details, the DHCP-Discover and DHCP-Request packets from the Router &
PC on the right would need to be forwarded from the WAP54G to the
DSLRouter and the DHCP-Offer and DHCP-ACk packets would need to be
forwarded from the WRT54G to the Router.

I know the WRT54G also has a buildin DHCP server, so if all the
devices (except the IPPhone) can get an IP from this one, that would
be fine also (as the WRT54G has routing capabilities). In that case
it's just the WAP54G that would need to pass over the DHCP traffic.

Will it work by default? Anybody ever succeeded in building such a
setup?

Thanks,
Sven.
November 22, 2004 7:20:53 PM

Why do you need an ISP provided IP to anything but the router?. Your router,
WRT54, will supply your computers with local IP's. Your router will get its
IP from your ISP.
"Sven" <sven.lanckmans@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently using the following wired setup:
>
> DSLModem---Hub-------Router--IPPhone
> | |
> PC PC
>
> Now, the line between the hub and the router goes through my whole
> house and I wanted to get rid of it so I bought a Linksys WRT54G and a
> WAP54G.
> My reasoning was the following:
>

> DSLRouter---WRT54-)) ((--WAP54G--Hub--Router--IPPhone
> |
> ((-PC PC
>
> The WAP54G is running in Client mode. The reason for this is that I
> want to be able to connect my laptop wirelessly to the WRT54G.
>
> Now comes the tricky part. The ISP is handing out the IP's via DHCP
> and I'm wondering if it's possible for all devices (except the
> IPPhone) to get an IP address from this DHCP pool?
>
> How do I get the DHCP traffic over the wireless connection? Or in more
> details, the DHCP-Discover and DHCP-Request packets from the Router &
> PC on the right would need to be forwarded from the WAP54G to the
> DSLRouter and the DHCP-Offer and DHCP-ACk packets would need to be
> forwarded from the WRT54G to the Router.
>
> I know the WRT54G also has a buildin DHCP server, so if all the
> devices (except the IPPhone) can get an IP from this one, that would
> be fine also (as the WRT54G has routing capabilities). In that case
> it's just the WAP54G that would need to pass over the DHCP traffic.
>
> Will it work by default? Anybody ever succeeded in building such a
> setup?
>

> Thanks,
> Sven.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 7:40:41 PM

On 22 Nov 2004 08:12:56 -0800, Sven spoketh

>Hi,
>
>I'm currently using the following wired setup:
>
>DSLModem---Hub-------Router--IPPhone
> | |
> PC PC
>
>Now, the line between the hub and the router goes through my whole
>house and I wanted to get rid of it so I bought a Linksys WRT54G and a
>WAP54G.
>My reasoning was the following:
>

>DSLRouter---WRT54-)) ((--WAP54G--Hub--Router--IPPhone
> |
> ((-PC PC
>
>The WAP54G is running in Client mode. The reason for this is that I
>want to be able to connect my laptop wirelessly to the WRT54G.
>
>Now comes the tricky part. The ISP is handing out the IP's via DHCP
>and I'm wondering if it's possible for all devices (except the
>IPPhone) to get an IP address from this DHCP pool?

Your WRT router won't pass the DHCP traffic from your ISP. Instead,
it'll hand out IP addresses in the private range to all your LAN
equipment (including your IP phone). You may need for forward some ports
to your IP Phone in order for that to work behind the router.

>How do I get the DHCP traffic over the wireless connection? Or in more
>details, the DHCP-Discover and DHCP-Request packets from the Router &
>PC on the right would need to be forwarded from the WAP54G to the
>DSLRouter and the DHCP-Offer and DHCP-ACk packets would need to be
>forwarded from the WRT54G to the Router.

DHCP requests goes over the wireless network just as well as it does
over wired, so this should not be an issue. Your problem would be with
the router...

>I know the WRT54G also has a buildin DHCP server, so if all the
>devices (except the IPPhone) can get an IP from this one, that would
>be fine also (as the WRT54G has routing capabilities). In that case
>it's just the WAP54G that would need to pass over the DHCP traffic.

The WAP doesn't care what the traffic is. If it's an ethernet frame that
it needs to forward to the other side of the bridge, it'll do it,
regardless of content, protocol or anything else...

And, your IP phone will need an IP address that is on the same network
as the rest of your equipment...

>Will it work by default? Anybody ever succeeded in building such a
>setup?
>

>Thanks,
>Sven.

Lars M. Hansen