Sign in with
Your question

Starcraft 2 FPS lag on 460 gtx

Last response: in Video Games
March 17, 2011 8:54:35 PM

Hello everyone,
So I know that the 460 gtx is suppose to be pretty good. For some reason, my computer only handles Starcraft 2 everything ultra at 40 fps. I changed some settings on the driver (the recommended setting) and I my fps did improve a little bit (45-50 fps).
My friend on the other hand has the same card, same cpu, and less ram, gets around 60 fps constant. I don't know whats wrong with my comp and maybe someone here will have a solution. I do have all the latest drivers.

Computer Specs:
Mobo - M4A785TD-V EVO
AMD Phenom 965 Black Edition 3.5ghz
8GB of ram
Nvidia Galaxy 460 Gtx 768mb
500 watt power supply
Sata HDD

Note* I did over clock my computer to 4.0Ghz but it was not running stable so I downclocked it back to normal.

I know that this setup should run Starcraft 2 on all ultra NO problem. Let me know if you guys have a solution! Thanks
March 17, 2011 11:15:22 PM

what resolution are you at and your friend? what CPU does he have? does he have the same eye candy turned on as you do? there is also a FPS hit with more players, is he playing in the exact same games as you?
m
l
March 18, 2011 5:15:37 AM

We have the exact same CPU and video card, except his mobo is a little bit old (ddr2) and hes running on 4 gb. I run on 1920x1080 and so does he. We play 1v1 and he gets more FPS for some reason.
m
l
Related resources
March 18, 2011 2:57:16 PM

Your power supply looks a little weak, 500 w are you sure you are getting full power to your gpu?
m
l
March 18, 2011 4:45:48 PM

olin9 said:
Your power supply looks a little weak, 500 w are you sure you are getting full power to your gpu?

lets just assume by that statement you know absolutely nothing about PSU (because you just proved it). a quality 500w PSU can power that system easily, even a quality 380w like antec EW can do it*. he did not mention any brand so I have no clue how you can make such a judgment nor does his system show any such signs.

* proof - bit-tech
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/buyers-guide/2011/03/1...
m
l
March 18, 2011 4:52:58 PM

instinctlol said:
We have the exact same CPU and video card, except his mobo is a little bit old (ddr2) and hes running on 4 gb. I run on 1920x1080 and so does he. We play 1v1 and he gets more FPS for some reason.

I would say your 45-50FPS in right in line with tech spot's review. they where doing 44-61 with a GTX460 1GB and OC i7 3.7ghz@ 1200p resolution. the i7 have a bigger advantage in SC2 then the phenom II. I think your friend may have tweeked one or two graphic settings.

m
l
March 19, 2011 12:13:22 AM

I just bought a new PSU Coolmax 700w, it had good review pretty much everywhere..
This is a fresh window install when I got my new system, win 7 64bit, again everything is fresh including the latest drivers.
I play at 1920 x 1080. I have tried to disable vsync and the triple thing but its the same.
m
l
March 20, 2011 6:08:13 AM

Well which PSU do you suggest? I guess its gunna be hard to find one since all of them has good reviews..
m
l
March 20, 2011 3:11:59 PM

it's not a great PSU but you are barely using 350w at gaming with your set up. you also show no signs of a PSU issue.
m
l
March 20, 2011 3:35:54 PM

So what do you suggest I do ? ><
m
l
March 20, 2011 8:48:36 PM

your FPS is within spec of reviews (see above) anything above 30FPS is good in a RTS game and you are doing 45-50FPS.
m
l
March 21, 2011 2:15:13 AM

Well that doesn't change the fact that my friend has he same comp setup and gets 60 fps flawlessly. I guess I'm just gunna have to overclock and see how that works out. Supposedly, the gtx460 is really badass with overclocking so yeah.
m
l
March 21, 2011 3:51:04 PM

ct1615 said:
lets just assume by that statement you know absolutely nothing about PSU (because you just proved it). a quality 500w PSU can power that system easily, even a quality 380w like antec EW can do it*. he did not mention any brand so I have no clue how you can make such a judgment nor does his system show any such signs.

* proof - bit-tech
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/buyers-guide/2011/03/1...

I just suggested that he should verify everything, and you should not be a rude dumbass(you just proved it). The user just asked for suggestions and the plausible one given was reasonable. We (including you) did not know the any of the follow.

Brand of the power supply.
How many HHD, CD-Roms.
Type of sound card.
How many, if any external USB devices that do not have their own power supply were in use.

All of which could overwhelm a 500 W power supply.

It does not hurt to just verify. It also does not hurt to play nice with others.
m
l
March 21, 2011 5:01:52 PM

olin9 said:
I just suggested that he should verify everything, and you should not be a rude dumbass(you just proved it). The user just asked for suggestions and the plausible one given was reasonable. We (including you) did not know the any of the follow.

Brand of the power supply.
How many HHD, CD-Roms.
Type of sound card.
How many, if any external USB devices that do not have their own power supply were in use.

All of which could overwhelm a 500 W power supply.

It does not hurt to just verify. It also does not hurt to play nice with others.

stupid people need to be rude with, its how they learn and stop making stupid comments as above. its also stupid that you are complaining about "Brand of the power supply." since that is the very thing i called you out for as being an idiot and you simply proved that point once again. thank you for helping me prove how stupid you are once again.

as far as overwhelming a PSU, well you fail once again (i'm sure you are used to that in your life). a normal 500w PSU would be able to handle multi HDD, CD-ROM, fans, SC and his set up. he would need to go over board and then run background stress tests during gaming in order to push all of them up to the max.
m
l
March 21, 2011 11:46:18 PM

Do you both have same OS? Also maybe you have higher AA on then him and not noticed?
m
l
March 22, 2011 1:28:23 AM

Yes we do, when I say IDENTICAL I mean IDENTICAL, except he has less ram and his PSU is 600w (same brand).
m
l
March 22, 2011 5:53:56 PM

So I resorted to overclocking and everything seems to run pretty good now. I also had creep reflection in video setting turned off which made a BIG difference since I play zerg.
m
l
!