Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows 7 Slate Faces Off Against the Apple iPad

Last response: in News comments
August 11, 2010 1:57:59 AM

Is that a thinner bezel I see???? I recall crapple tard on this very site stating that apple is more visually pleasing.....
Score
August 11, 2010 1:59:23 AM

Win7 all the way :D 
Score
August 11, 2010 2:00:47 AM

What could be the reasons behind the pinch zoom stuttering?
Score
August 11, 2010 2:01:56 AM

You know, Apple made one version of their iPad and numerous other vendors and companies have been attempting to do this for quite some time and to me, the iPad has it nailed.
Score
August 11, 2010 2:03:31 AM

ParsianWhat could be the reasons behind the pinch zoom stuttering?
Because it's just the regular zoom feature in the internet browser. Apple's browser was built from the ground up to work with the iPad and iPhone/iTouch. They designed it to do that. The Win7 Slate isn't stuttering. Right now, in your browser hit Ctrl+.. that's what that "zoom" is doing.
Score
August 11, 2010 2:05:06 AM

I like the form factor..........though I still don't have a practical application for such a device.
Score
August 11, 2010 2:05:17 AM

I wonder if the graphics power in that windows tablet is enough to load up a game like TF2. The USB ports are pure win though and easily make it much more valuable then the iPad; to be able to dock it to a keyboard and mouse, and oh yeah a Printer!

Huge potential as a business device; hell probably the future of most businesses. Just replace every tower with a tablet and a dock. It wont take long for the performance to be dam good for business apps and think of the huge advantages to having people be able to take their PC into the meeting rooms, and pull and share files during the meeting.

And think of the Trees that could be saved!
Score
August 11, 2010 2:11:26 AM

I would like one *Hint hint Tom's*
Score
August 11, 2010 2:11:45 AM

they can just change the zoom increments to 1 pixel and match it to the finger acceleration. Though MS has to leave something you to be excited about in the slate 2.
Score
August 11, 2010 2:14:15 AM

win7 tablet: has a bigger app market (its called the whole internet and every computer related store!), USB, HDMI(?), external storage, microphone port, camera, FLASH!
ipad: no viruses, or windows rot (both can be avoided by basic maintenance and common sense), longer battery life (what are you, in the middle of the woods with no outlets?), has an OS built form the ground up for it.
Score
August 11, 2010 2:22:52 AM

I have to say the ipad has better presentation, but seems to be much less powerful performance wise. And I would take performance over presentation any day. Because anyone who is not an idiot knows that presentation only matters untill perhaps the third day of using the product, by then you are used to it, and pay no attention to it. However performance affects you always.
Score
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
August 11, 2010 2:25:04 AM

This is funny, you are comparing an actual product, with a demo... how long does de battery last? what about the cost? or the weight? don`t say you don`t understand that these are important issues for a tablet..
Score
August 11, 2010 2:26:50 AM

i want hardware specs...

One of these on the ION platform would be awesome.

dual core atom and a 9400m. would be awesome.
Score
August 11, 2010 2:32:53 AM

stm1185I wonder if the graphics power in that windows tablet is enough to load up a game like TF2. The USB ports are pure win though and easily make it much more valuable then the iPad; to be able to dock it to a keyboard and mouse, and oh yeah a Printer!Huge potential as a business device; hell probably the future of most businesses. Just replace every tower with a tablet and a dock. It wont take long for the performance to be dam good for business apps and think of the huge advantages to having people be able to take their PC into the meeting rooms, and pull and share files during the meeting.And think of the Trees that could be saved!

The USB ports also make it non proprietary as does Windows 7. Unlike with a iPad, you basically have to buy anything that Apple makes to dock it with, you can buy any standard mouse + keyboard and go.

Of course the Apple fans will claim the iPad is superior but what can you expect.

I also wonder if it will have support for IE9.0. I was looking at some of the test with the Preview 3 and they have already caught up to every other browser out there and include support for more HTML5, CSS3 and hardware acceleration features. If so, this might be one viable solution.

Plus add in Intels new Atom that's capable of pretty decent graphics and 1080P HD video on the non cell phone version and it could possibly push the iPad to second place.

bucefalus44This is funny, you are comparing an actual product, with a demo... how long does de battery last? what about the cost? or the weight? don`t say you don`t understand that these are important issues for a tablet..

As far as I can tell.... that's an actual product. If it was pre-recorded, then sure. But it shows a person actually using the product.

As for the "issues", battery life will depend on the features. This wont be the only one or the only model. Unlike the iPad there will be different models with different features and specs and probably a replaceable battery.

That's one thing I never understood about Apple. Rechargeable batteries slowly loose the amount of charge they can hold and after a year their charge tends to be much less. Why make it impossible to change?

Either way, this is a very viable competition. It gives users the entire array of desktop apps for the PC while the iPad only gives them what is out there for the iPod and iPhone. There are tons of free apps for PC as well, even some great games.

I do wonder if it can support a Source based game. Get a stand for it along with a decent mouse + keyboard and you can play Alien Swarm thats free and awesome......
Score
August 11, 2010 2:36:23 AM

Hmmm.... I like the keyboard better on the apple device. Its a touchscreen, you need big keys to prevent those "mess ups" in typing. Plus you don't need things like ctrl, alt,tab, fn, capslock on a touchscreen like that. USB and SD card slots FTW!!!!! now just make them usable via usb dvd drive or something.
Score
August 11, 2010 2:38:35 AM

As usual, Apple innovates while Microsoft and the rest of the world just imitate. That pinch zoom is truly awful on that Windows slate. And the onscreen keyboard looks clunky and cumbersome as well. I guess competition is good though, even if it is a junky imitation product.
Score
August 11, 2010 2:39:09 AM

The USB - That by itself is a big win over the iPad. I dont care about the smoother zoom or bigger keys on the iPad if it doesnt have the basic stuff.
Score
August 11, 2010 2:41:15 AM

ParsianWhat could be the reasons behind the pinch zoom stuttering?

It's called "Windows"; i.e. the source of all computer problems, poor performance, viruses, and proprietary vendor lock-in.
Score
August 11, 2010 2:45:30 AM

I don't quite understand the point of this video. There were some things that the Windows 7 device did better but there were some things that it did horribly worse. Why both even showing off the Google Earth demo if you can't do pinch to zoom or scroll bar zoom? Why show off pinch to zoom if it stutters so terribly? Why show off page loads if it doesn't automatically adjust the width of the pages to the width of the device?

Not to mention this video is clearly edited and makes no mention of battery life, hardware specs, or price. Battery life is exceedingly important on a device like this and it is glaringly absent from this video. I can only think of a couple of reasons why that is.
Score
August 11, 2010 2:55:31 AM

The iPad is not only more visually appealing, but it does nearly everything they should, except YouTube video-ing, better than the Windows 7 tablet.

What is the battery life on the Windows 7 tablet?

The issue with the Windows 7 tablet is they Microsoft hasn't, and likely won't, build a specialized OS from the ground up to do what it needs to do. You can throw all the cameras, tech specs, at me all you want ... but at the end of the day Apple has one upped the rest of the market currently. No questions or concerns.
Score
August 11, 2010 3:04:19 AM

"Hello my name is jealous pc fanatic and I thumbs down anytime anyone says anything positive about a mac"

Apple sucks at a lot of things, but user interface/iOS is not one of them. Microsoft cannot seem to figure out that a an OS like WINDOWS IS JUST NOT GOOD ON TABLETS.
Score
August 11, 2010 3:19:31 AM

christopherknappThe issue with the Windows 7 tablet is they Microsoft hasn't, and likely won't, build a specialized OS from the ground up to do what it needs to do.

Apple does not have a dedicated tablet OS. Stevie used his lovely (read: shitty) iOS and made high-res icons for it. The iPad is a giant iPod touch. Windows 7 tablets will be tiny laptops... in a sense.
Score
August 11, 2010 3:22:24 AM

I preferred the iPad in that video. Media is far better, and that is why you buy these devices.
Score
August 11, 2010 3:33:39 AM

To me, dont bash me as this is opinion, id take the Windows 7 one. Not even taking the fact you would pay a price premium, but USB, better touchscreen (IMO, looked quite a decent bit faster, looked a little bigger, yet had a smaller bezel which is good, and obviously the extra compatibility. And from the video, the keys on the Windows 7 one do look smaller obviously, but they seem the right size for typing with ur pointer finger, it didnt look like it would be that hard. The Apples looks possibly better, but bigger keys= less keys, less keys=more menus to scroll thru to get what you want. Not to mention camera, which doesnt seem terribly practical but still, and then the important sd slot. Mouse pad looks wierd and un-usable. Ipad takes the cake with zooming though, however it might just be the background or lighting, but the picture on the 7 looks better too.
Score
August 11, 2010 3:35:05 AM

For me iPad is visual attractive but their is a limitation to this while in win 7 the possibilities are endless.
Score
August 11, 2010 3:38:22 AM

If these two devices could only have a love child, the look and feel of the ipad plus simplicity of OS, the functionality of the windows. Imagine the pure unadultrated perfection.
Score
August 11, 2010 3:55:49 AM

deadlockedworld"Microsoft cannot seem to figure out that a an OS like WINDOWS IS JUST NOT GOOD ON TABLETS.

this is not microsoft's tablet, they did not build this. they are not advertising Windows 7 as a tablet OS. You sir, are are wrong.

taybI don't quite understand the point of this video. There were some things that the Windows 7 device did better but there were some things that it did horribly worse. Why both even showing off the Google Earth demo if you can't do pinch to zoom or scroll bar zoom? Why show off pinch to zoom if it stutters so terribly? Why show off page loads if it doesn't automatically adjust the width of the pages to the width of the device?Not to mention this video is clearly edited and makes no mention of battery life, hardware specs, or price. Battery life is exceedingly important on a device like this and it is glaringly absent from this video. I can only think of a couple of reasons why that is.

this isnt a specialized version of windows 7 for tablet, so the pinch and zoom is just the same thing as on any desktop. hit Ctrl + or Ctrl - and you will see why its like that. its not stuttering, use your brain
Score
August 11, 2010 3:56:03 AM

id get one and the first thing i'd do is put linux on it.
Score
Anonymous
August 11, 2010 4:05:05 AM

Pros of the Window 7 slate.
-I can attach a mouse and keyboard and use it to play my games. PWNED!
-you can go on YOUTBE! and other website that use flash. Like NEWGROUNDS!
-I don't have to connect it to another computer to transfer files. I can use a usb stick or a sd card.
-Since it is using window 7 I can install most of the software I currently use already on my computer
-a slight longer battery life.
Score
August 11, 2010 4:05:34 AM

mlopinto2k1Because it's just the regular zoom feature in the internet browser. Apple's browser was built from the ground up to work with the iPad and iPhone/iTouch. They designed it to do that. The Win7 Slate isn't stuttering. Right now, in your browser hit Ctrl+.. that's what that "zoom" is doing.

oh yeah, i did not realize that :D  Thanks
Score
August 11, 2010 4:31:11 AM

nope, still hate pads = /
Score
August 11, 2010 4:50:21 AM

Things I like about the iPad: looks closer to 1.33 form factor (4:3) - and letter sized paper is about 1.3, which means with the proper screen they could get decent horizontal resolution in portrait mode.

Things I like about the Win7 tablet: ports, full OS (which also means greater software choices), full on-screen keyboard, could use so many of the programs I am use to, in a pinch I bet I can just plug in my USB keyboard and mouse while putting the tablet on a stand.

What I want: Win7 Tablet with a 4:3 screen (at least 1400x1050) and a digitizer with a stylus. Most of the time I don't convert text - but it would be awesome to use ArtRage or Journal on this. However, I guess I'll have to stick with the bulky M200 or M400 I just bought (M200 was only a 1.5 GHz processor, I wanted to try out Toon Boom Animate 2 and needed a 2.0 GHz dual core so I "upgraded" - and the 1400x1050 screen is sweet in portrait mode. Even my "picky" software will run - you know, the ones that say at least 800 or 1024 width required to install.)
Score
August 11, 2010 4:52:47 AM

I'm disappointed. Why is the Windows 7 Slate screen not as wide or more wide than the iPad? It looks like a nightmare to type on. Also, they'd better fix this zooming issue.
Score
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
August 11, 2010 4:56:28 AM

I hate to say it but compared to the ipad the windows 7 slate looks dreadfully bad. The reason being that microsoft will never actually design an entire new OS for their slate. The movements are terribly stuttery and the keyboard looks way too cluttered. The biggest plus to it is the fact that it is windows 7, it can run everything windows 7 can, but the biggest factor holding it back as well is also windows 7. Windows 7 simply wasn't designed to be used with a touch screen interface and it is that which ruins the slate.
Score
August 11, 2010 5:02:46 AM

Pretty sure I wouldn't want to type on that slate.
Score
August 11, 2010 5:12:32 AM

... it's apples against oranges [ENG]... tas ir kā salīdzināt ābolus ar apelsīniem [LAT]...
Score
August 11, 2010 5:21:09 AM

iPad got owned. Can't beat the usability of Windows.
Score
August 11, 2010 5:25:31 AM

i think the windows 7 is more epic
Score
August 11, 2010 5:51:45 AM

The best thing that Windows 7 Tablet, and Android as well, have over iOS is that there is going to be multiple vendors with multiple form factors and hardware. I think the one in the video is too narrow, but that doesnt mean Asus or Dell or whoever wont make a nice 4:3 tablet.

I am also hopeful Wacom will make a Windows 7 tablet for graphics work. High quality pressure sensitive stylus and being able to draw directly onto the screen, in a device that is easy to hold and very portable :) 
Score
August 11, 2010 6:25:33 AM

rotsaePros of the Window 7 slate.-I can attach a mouse and keyboard and use it to play my games. PWNED!-you can go on YOUTBE! and other website that use flash. Like NEWGROUNDS! -I don't have to connect it to another computer to transfer files. I can use a usb stick or a sd card. -Since it is using window 7 I can install most of the software I currently use already on my computer-a slight longer battery life.

You've got a couple of issues in there:
-iPad has the ability to use SD cards with the camera dongle pack
-why in the world would you think the Windows 7 OS would use less power than iOS? That doesn't make very much sense at all...and if you were to try and match the battery life, the slate would weigh 5 lbs.
Score
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
August 11, 2010 7:20:08 AM

Try.. just try to play a MKV file on iPad.

:D 
That's all I want. A mobile MKV video player.
Score
August 11, 2010 7:44:43 AM

I bought one of these from officeworks in australia and I returned it after 2 days and got a full refund. It works great, very fast and quick and has a 320 gb hd. I used it for watching movies when im about to sleep. usually watch mkv videos. This is definitely better than the ipad but since watching videos on it will only give the hanvon 3 hours of battery life i returned it. but specs wise and performance it's the best. Bought it for $898 aussies probly arnd $800 usd.
Score
August 11, 2010 7:49:41 AM

awts..i thought this was canceled.. anyway, i refused to purchased an iPad because you can not do a multiple tasks... :-) IMO, this is much better than the iPad
Score
August 11, 2010 8:26:26 AM

iPad is thinner and smaller with a better aspect ratio screen. The Extra WIDE screen is cheaper to buy.

The zooming was far more natural on the iPad. The YouTube video took longer to load, but the interface was MUCH better.

With the Win7 interface, it was more in the way that useful.

Keyboard was much nicer on the iPad.
Score
August 11, 2010 8:32:35 AM

I prefer the dimensions of the ipad. The windows slate seems too narrow when browsing.

otherwise this looks a great first gen product. I'm surpirsed not to see any Crysis remarks.... oh, wait....
Score
August 11, 2010 9:01:28 AM

How about Crysis? :) 

(Sorry, I couldn't help it)
Score
August 11, 2010 9:10:42 AM

And the best part is: the Slate is good for 4 weeks of the month. The iPad is only good for 3.
Score
August 11, 2010 10:04:21 AM

Nice demo, but IMO tablets still aren't good enough. Maybe in like, 5 years or so
Score
August 11, 2010 11:30:00 AM

"Steve's magical and revolutionary web tablet."

Magical and revolutionary should have been in quotation marks as it is only Mr Jobs and his technologically illiterate fanboy-base that are dumb enough to believe Mr. Job invented the pad computer.
Score
!