windows98 install

Lain

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2005
I have picked up this old laptop that has no cd-rom drive. I want to install windows98 on it, and all I have is the cd. Is there some way I can use the cd to make floppy disks for installation?

Lain

RichPLS

Champion
No

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

TheCh0s3n1

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
Lain,

It's still possible to get Windows 98 installed onto the hard drive of that laptop, however, the ideas I have require access to many kinds of resources.

External USB CD drive/burner
(a) Boot from a floppy with USB support, attaching a USB external CD drive/burner, (b) repartition and reformat, then (c) you can install Windows 98.

Boot to a Network with Win98 CD as folder on another networked PC
(a) Connect the laptop to a network, (b) copy the entire contents of the Win98 CD onto a shared folder of another networked PC, (c) boot from a floppy with network support (identifying the networked PC and its shared folder), (d) navigate to the folder with Win98 CD contents, and (e) run the setup.exe file.

Connect laptop drive as slave drive on another PC
(a) Remove the 2.5" hard drive from the laptop, (b) connect it to a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter, (c) attach the drive (with the adapter) to another PC as the slave drive, (d) on the PC, reformat that slave drive, (e) copy the entire contents of the Win98 CD onto the slave drive, (f) reattach the laptop drive to the laptop, (g) boot from a floppy, then (h) run the setup.exe file.

Use laptop hard drive as External drive to copy Win98 CD
(a) Obtain a 2.5" hard drive enclosure, (b) remove the hard drive from the laptop, (c) put it inside the enclosure, (d) connect it via USB to another computer, (e) make sure that the OS sees the drive, (f) reformat the laptop drive, (g) copy the entire contents of the Win98 CD onto the laptop drive, (h) detach the drive from the PC, (i) remove the drive from the enclosure and put the drive back into the laptop, (j) boot from a floppy, (k) run the setup.exe file

I also like to use Ghost to restore a "vanilla" image of Win98 using the techniques mentioned above. Of course, if the image was created on a different brand of PC, I usually end up having to hunt down the drivers. That's the fun part...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Here's what I do. Pay attention:
1.) Compgeeks has a laptop to desktop drive adapter, it cost around $3.50. I pull the hard drive from a working system and instal the laptop drive (that way I don't mess with the files on the original drive).
2.) I boot from the 98SE CD to command prompt, use FDISK to remove the old partitions on the laptop drive and creat a new one
3.) I format the drive from the command prompt after rebooting from the CD.
4.) I copy the Win98 directory from the CD to the hard drive:
a.) make the directory on the C: drive using "md c:\win98"
b.) copy the Win98 directory using "copy win98 c:\win98"

Now that the settup directory is on the hard drive, I put that drive back in the laptop, boot from a DOS floppy, type "C:" to switch command prompt to the C: drive, "cd Win98" to change directory to the Win98 directory, "setup".

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS