Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Iraq war is over

Tags:
Last response: in News & Leisure
Share
December 16, 2011 12:37:34 PM

Everyone has been so low key on the ending of the Iraq war.

Whats your viewpoint? Is the war really over? Too soon too late?

Welcome back!

More about : iraq war

December 16, 2011 12:46:26 PM

There is still an insurgency. The only difference is the Iraqi military will be fighting them, not us.

I'm wondering about Iran and what they are going to do. Iraq's military is decimated. They have no air force at all. no tank brigades. They do have some well trained foot soldiers thanks to us, but that about it.

I'm happy some of our guys are coming home. They need a rest. Many others are being redeployed to Afghanistan to fight the Taliban and Al-queda.
December 16, 2011 1:48:20 PM

I hope Iraq gets back on its feet and the process is peaceful.

I am probably being too positive ... but hopeful.

Related resources
December 16, 2011 3:27:08 PM

One thing not widely publicized is the number of "civilian contractors" that are staying in Iraq to "assist" the Iraqi forces.
December 16, 2011 3:35:04 PM

Like Blackwater type organizations? hmmm, I didn't consider that.
December 16, 2011 7:04:45 PM

^^ jeez talk about having your ass hanging out! 4,000 surrounded by millions. Brilliant!
December 19, 2011 8:30:56 AM

Reynod said:
I hope Iraq gets back on its feet and the process is peaceful.

I am probably being too positive ... but hopeful.

You're way over too positive.
Unfortunately everything will get worse in Iraq,just wait and see.
December 19, 2011 9:13:35 AM

My worry it the troups will go back home and the forces will release them ... into a bad job market where unemployement is high and their skills don't fit well.

I hope the US forces have a decent career guidance service to help vets fit back into society there.

December 19, 2011 11:41:28 AM

It turns out most will be re-deployed to Afghanistan rather than come home.
December 19, 2011 12:20:07 PM

Reynod said:
My worry it the troups will go back home and the forces will release them ... into a bad job market where unemployement is high and their skills don't fit well.

I hope the US forces have a decent career guidance service to help vets fit back into society there.



+1: Some will integrate fine but after spending 3+ years in the field with a week or two stateside every once in a while its amazing that anyone is able to adjust at all.
December 21, 2011 6:20:53 PM

Reynod said:
My worry it the troups will go back home and the forces will release them ... into a bad job market where unemployement is high and their skills don't fit well.

I hope the US forces have a decent career guidance service to help vets fit back into society there.

We do. But the jobs need to exist. And if the people who didn't go are having problems finding work, it just doesn't look too promising.
December 22, 2011 5:58:31 PM

Yep,just wait and see how Iraq's bad situation will get worse
December 24, 2011 5:39:33 AM

something tells me the middle east wont be fixed for a long time :??: 
December 25, 2011 8:13:10 AM

Exactly^
It may even never change at all.
December 28, 2011 11:44:32 AM

Iran guilty of 9/11

Venezuela is looking pretty guilty too.....So are you France.

Whats the Australia? I can hear the 9/11 guilt in your voice!
December 29, 2011 9:17:49 AM

Mate it is a bit insulting to even suggest we would have anything to do with that sort of insane behaviour ... jeesh !!

France and Venezuela ??

If we had a beef with the US we would resort to normal diplomacy.

Alternatively we would demand a fight between Chuck Norris and Crocodile Dundee to settle our differences.

:) 
December 29, 2011 7:47:24 PM

Im thankful to my mates from down under when they stand next to us, and spill their blood for a common threat

PS
Chuck hands down, up, sideways.....
December 29, 2011 9:53:23 PM

I think Chuck would politely take the Bowie knife away, give it back, and then blow the froth off a few with Dundee, eh?
April 20, 2012 3:19:31 AM

wanamingo said:
Everyone has been so low key on the ending of the Iraq war.

Whats your viewpoint? Is the war really over? Too soon too late?I hope so. Enough is enough with these senseless wars.To much lives lost and money spent for nothing just like Afghanistan now.

Welcome back!

April 20, 2012 11:34:42 AM

Quote from NPR:
Quote:

Right. You know, at one point, it was thought that a contingent of several thousand American troops was going to remain in Iraq into next year, sort of, beyond the agreed upon deadline, as a force of trainers to train Iraqi security forces, to help get the security back up to speed. But, you know, there was a - the talks between the Americans and the Iraqis pretty much broke down sometime this fall over the question of immunity. American soldiers, if they wanted to stay in Iraq, wanted to know that they would be immune from prosecution under Iraqi law. And the Iraqis, frankly, after eight years of war and more than 100,000 people dead, just weren't willing to grant that.

Most of them inflicted by Sunni Iraqis and Iranian supported Shi'a Iraqis on each other.
April 21, 2012 3:24:46 AM

jsc said:
Quote from NPR:
Quote:

Right. You know, at one point, it was thought that a contingent of several thousand American troops was going to remain in Iraq into next year, sort of, beyond the agreed upon deadline, as a force of trainers to train Iraqi security forces, to help get the security back up to speed. But, you know, there was a - the talks between the Americans and the Iraqis pretty much broke down sometime this fall over the question of immunity. American soldiers, if they wanted to stay in Iraq, wanted to know that they would be immune from prosecution under Iraqi law. And the Iraqis, frankly, after eight years of war and more than 100,000 people dead, just weren't willing to grant that.

Most of them inflicted by Sunni Iraqis and Iranian supported Shi'a Iraqis on each other.
This will never end in Iraq with these people fighting and hating each other in there tribes.
April 21, 2012 8:29:48 PM

No argument. You cannot bring democracy to a tribal culture.
April 21, 2012 11:12:34 PM

jsc said:
No argument. You cannot bring democracy to a tribal culture.



How about a Republic? Keep your tribe, and send a representative of your tribe to speak for it in an assembly of other tribes.
April 22, 2012 3:08:59 AM

jsc said:
No argument. You cannot bring democracy to a tribal culture.
Thanks for agreeing with me on this subject.
!