Iraq war is over

Everyone has been so low key on the ending of the Iraq war.

Whats your viewpoint? Is the war really over? Too soon too late?

Welcome back!
21 answers Last reply
More about iraq over
  1. I hope Iraq gets back on its feet and the process is peaceful.

I am probably being too positive ... but hopeful.
  2. One thing not widely publicized is the number of "civilian contractors" that are staying in Iraq to "assist" the Iraqi forces.
  3. Dont you mean Xe services Blackwater Worldwide Academi?

Looks like 4,000 troops and 2 bases will remain operational after the withdrawal. Down from 200,000 troops and 500 operating bases at the height.

http://www.npr.org/2011/12/15/143752548/baghdad-ceremony-formally-ends-iraq-war
  4. Saw this and couldnt resist
    http://comics.dailykos.com/story/2011/12/15/1045487/-Mark-Fiore-Victoryish?detail=hide&via=blog_792316

All I can say is, thank you all who went there and sacrificed
    I hope the Iraqi's make it work
  5. Reynod said:
    I hope Iraq gets back on its feet and the process is peaceful.

I am probably being too positive ... but hopeful.

You're way over too positive.
    Unfortunately everything will get worse in Iraq,just wait and see.
  6. My worry it the troups will go back home and the forces will release them ... into a bad job market where unemployement is high and their skills don't fit well.

I hope the US forces have a decent career guidance service to help vets fit back into society there.
  7. Reynod said:
    My worry it the troups will go back home and the forces will release them ... into a bad job market where unemployement is high and their skills don't fit well.

I hope the US forces have a decent career guidance service to help vets fit back into society there.

+1: Some will integrate fine but after spending 3+ years in the field with a week or two stateside every once in a while its amazing that anyone is able to adjust at all.
  8. Reynod said:
    My worry it the troups will go back home and the forces will release them ... into a bad job market where unemployement is high and their skills don't fit well.

We do. But the jobs need to exist. And if the people who didn't go are having problems finding work, it just doesn't look too promising.
  9. Yep,just wait and see how Iraq's bad situation will get worse
  10. something tells me the middle east wont be fixed for a long time :??:
  11. Exactly^
    It may even never change at all.
  12. Iran guilty of 9/11

Venezuela is looking pretty guilty too.....So are you France.

Whats the Australia? I can hear the 9/11 guilt in your voice!
  13. Mate it is a bit insulting to even suggest we would have anything to do with that sort of insane behaviour ... jeesh !!

France and Venezuela ??

If we had a beef with the US we would resort to normal diplomacy.

Alternatively we would demand a fight between Chuck Norris and Crocodile Dundee to settle our differences.

:)
  14. Im thankful to my mates from down under when they stand next to us, and spill their blood for a common threat

PS
    Chuck hands down, up, sideways.....
  15. Just a few reasons why Chuck Norris would win- http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/chuck-norris-top-50-facts
  16. Hillary says "show me the money!!!" to Syria and Iran!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRw8I8eyQ0M
    Very funny video!
  17. wanamingo said:
    Everyone has been so low key on the ending of the Iraq war.

Whats your viewpoint? Is the war really over? Too soon too late?I hope so. Enough is enough with these senseless wars.To much lives lost and money spent for nothing just like Afghanistan now.

Welcome back!
  18. Quote from NPR:
    Quote:

Right. You know, at one point, it was thought that a contingent of several thousand American troops was going to remain in Iraq into next year, sort of, beyond the agreed upon deadline, as a force of trainers to train Iraqi security forces, to help get the security back up to speed. But, you know, there was a - the talks between the Americans and the Iraqis pretty much broke down sometime this fall over the question of immunity. American soldiers, if they wanted to stay in Iraq, wanted to know that they would be immune from prosecution under Iraqi law. And the Iraqis, frankly, after eight years of war and more than 100,000 people dead, just weren't willing to grant that.

Most of them inflicted by Sunni Iraqis and Iranian supported Shi'a Iraqis on each other.
  19. jsc said:
    Quote from NPR:
    Quote:

Right. You know, at one point, it was thought that a contingent of several thousand American troops was going to remain in Iraq into next year, sort of, beyond the agreed upon deadline, as a force of trainers to train Iraqi security forces, to help get the security back up to speed. But, you know, there was a - the talks between the Americans and the Iraqis pretty much broke down sometime this fall over the question of immunity. American soldiers, if they wanted to stay in Iraq, wanted to know that they would be immune from prosecution under Iraqi law. And the Iraqis, frankly, after eight years of war and more than 100,000 people dead, just weren't willing to grant that.

Most of them inflicted by Sunni Iraqis and Iranian supported Shi'a Iraqis on each other.
    This will never end in Iraq with these people fighting and hating each other in there tribes.
  20. No argument. You cannot bring democracy to a tribal culture.
  21. jsc said:
    No argument. You cannot bring democracy to a tribal culture.
    Thanks for agreeing with me on this subject.
Ask a new question

Read More

Politics