Your question

Do I have enough juice?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Power
Last response: in Motherboards
March 10, 2001 5:33:07 AM

Here is my problem:

Certain drives on my computer will not be recognized by my motherboard upon posting. This happens at random and especially to the hard drives. My computer will also fail to shut down properly as well(example: screen goes blank, power lights go off, but the machine is still running and eventually restarts itself.) Could this be a power problem or something more severe? Any suggestions would b greatly appreciated :smile: .

Here is my stuff:

A7V (rev 1.02)
Athlon 900@1000 MHZ
Windows ME
300W power supply
2 Hard drives
1 CD-ROM
1 AGP(Radeon 32MB DDR)
3 PCI(2 NIC cards, 1 sound card)
2 case fans

:tongue: <font color=green> I LOVE INTEL. It tastes like chicken </font color=green>

More about : juice

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 10, 2001 9:40:03 AM

" Do I have enough juice? " - I will have to see you in person to measure if you do... hehe

"akuna mutata" braza... :wink:
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 10, 2001 9:41:53 AM

as far as you post goes, A7V is junk with ata100 harddrives in my experience... sigh

Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 10, 2001 9:44:06 AM

by the way, take one nic out, that itself will help a lot, why you are having two of them, that is very strange... heh

March 10, 2001 1:42:02 PM

i doubt this will help but for comparison i have:

2 7200rpm hard drives
dvd drive
cd-rw drive
floppy
hard drive cooler fan
case fan
geforce2 gts
sb live
nic

and a no-name 250 watt power supply with no power problems.
March 10, 2001 2:28:37 PM

reason I have 2 nic cards is one for my cable modem and one for networking another PC in my house. Agreed that the ata100 may be the problem(I'll try switching to he good ole ata66 cable) akuna mutata.

:tongue: <font color=green> I LOVE INTEL. It tastes like chicken </font color=green>
March 10, 2001 2:32:18 PM

thanks for the comparison. I guess this means its not going to be a power problem. Still a little stumped on my shutdown problem. I keep hearing the A7V is a little buggy.

March 10, 2001 4:14:13 PM

What version is your bios?
mbaha

"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 10, 2001 9:22:50 PM

Drives will and can conflict with each other if not set properly

i mean
try setting them all to Cable Select and try hooking them up differently on the IDE cables
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 10, 2001 9:59:50 PM

I never understood what the cable select jumper setting was for, what does it do?

"Byte, Kilobyte, Megabyte, Gigabyte, Terrabyte, Pentabyte, Exabyte, Zettabyte, Yottabyte..."
March 11, 2001 6:14:27 AM

1005b. do you know of any problems with this version?

March 11, 2001 6:30:29 AM

I attached the hard drives from the ata/100 back to the normal ata/66 primary. They seem to be miraculously working now! If I experience further problems I will try switching to cable select.

!