Recommend a keyboard, mouse, speakers, and headphones for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

morgothaod

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
I'm building a desktop and I need help deciding what keyboard, mouse, speakers/if I need them, and headphones to get for gaming. I'm mainly just going to play Quake 3 Arena.

This is my build:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz AM3 95W Quad-Core

Motherboard: ASRock EXTREME3 870: CF 8x/8x SATA6Gb/s USB3.0 ATX

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333MHz

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 6850 1GB

Storage: Samsung F3 1TB SATA II 3.0Gb/s

Optical Drive: ASUS SATA 24X DVD Burner

Power Supply: Antec VP-450 450W

Case: Not sure

Monitor: Acer G205Hbmd

Cooling: Stock cooler w/ CPU

Sound: 8 channels sound card: Integrated on the motherboard

Network: Ethernet RJ-45 10/100/1000 Mbps: Integrated on the motherboard

Here are my questions:

1) The monitor has built in speakers. Am I able to connect headphones to it?

1a) Are the speakers on the monitor good or should I buy external speakers? Which ones?

2) What is a good mouse for Quake III arena (first person shooter)? Do you prefer wired or wireless?

3) What are good headphones? What do you think of the beats headphones by Dr. Dre for gaming?

4) What is a good keyboard?

Thanks a lot.

Solution

1) The monitor has built in speakers. Am I able to connect headphones to it?
There is only an audio in jack on that monitor. No headphone jack.

1a) Are the speakers on the monitor good or should I buy external speakers? Which ones?
You have 8 channel audio on that board. Most monitor speakers are not very good. You can get great external speakers for low cost in stereo, 5.1 or 7.1 configurations (<$100). I game in 7.1 when available. It's great. Are you looking for surround or will you be gaming primarily with headphones on?

2) What is a good mouse for Quake III arena (first person shooter)? Do you prefer wired or wireless?
The G500 is a great mouse. You can dial down the DPI on the fly. It has a good feel and can be customized/programmed for any game:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104318&cm_re=g500-_-26-104-318-_-Product

All around it's a very impressive product.

3) What are good headphones? What do you think of the beats headphones by Dr. Dre for gaming?

Those beats headphones will provide great sound, though most gaming headsets will have the addition of an attached microphone. I have the G35. I can't say it has great "surround" sound, but it provides decent stereo sound with a built-in mic:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104281&cm_re=g35-_-26-104-281-_-Product

If you play games where you're going to need a mic, you could get a headset like the G35 or you could just pick up a mic and use your beats headphones. I really don't know how companies can sell headphones like the G35 and call them "Surround" headphones though. They are very stereo.

4) What is a good keyboard?
I like the G110. It's pretty basic, allows multi-key combination input (no kidding some keyboards don't let you hold down shift+w+space to run and jump in many FPSs) and glows. It's also programmable:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126087&Tpk=g110

I just wanted a keyboard I could game on with backlit keys. There are keyboards that won't allow certain key combinations that are expensive. I first tried the basic logitech illuminated keyboard. This is one of those that won't allow certain key combos. I returned it the same day I bought it after finding this out. The G110 has been solid so far.

Solution

thegamersblog

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Headphones for me have been the Turtle Beach HPA2 Force 5.1 Headset Gaming TBS2114
These are true 5.1 headphones that actually have 5.1 speakers in them and a mini sub. These are no USB emulated headphones that do Virtual Surround. I used to have the Gamecon 777 headphones but I wasn't that impressed with them and their quality was just fail and since they were USB headphones the volume was quite low. The turtle beach headphones are the best I've personally ever owned. I'd suggest buying them from espot.brandnew on ebay. I had problems once and they let me keep the old pair and then sent me a new pair without asking a single question. Their service is TOP notch and I've never been more impressed.

As for the keyboard i have the newest logitech keyboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126100&Tpk=G510
You can adjust the colors, program keys, pretty much the same as the G110 except it was more programmable keys and you can use the LCD screen for monitoring things like CPU usage, memory, ventrilo, teamspeak, etc. It's my favorite keyboard thus far.

The mouse is personal preference. I've got a oddly shaped had so i wanted something adjustable. I used to use the DeathAdder mouse from razer but after using that for awhile to purchse the Madcatz RAT7 mouse. I actually wrote a review this mouse if you are interested in reading it. Also shows the videos and pictures for it.
www.thegamersblog.com/2011/02/19/r-a-t-7-review-gods-gift-to-gamers/
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826102062&Tpk=RAT7
This mouse is expensive compared to other products on the market so it may not be for you. Look to spend at least $80. I spent $100 buying it from Microcenter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS