USB Bandwith Exhausted

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b α HP
April 24, 2005 1:50:42 PM

Hello,

I cant use the mouse anymore on a Pavilion ze4900 :

the "no more usb bandwith warning" pops up.

The details are :
79% is used for the USB ADSL LAN Adapter
13% is for "System use"

Do you have a hint as how to get some band for the mouse ?

As i might guess :
79% is probably too much. Is there a way to reduce that ?
Or can I cancel the "system use" ?

Thanx for your answer...
JLuc

More about : usb bandwith exhausted

Anonymous
a b α HP
April 24, 2005 2:17:43 PM

JLuc wrote:
> I cant use the mouse anymore on a Pavilion ze4900 :
> the "no more usb bandwith warning" pops up.
> 79% is used for the USB ADSL LAN Adapter
> 13% is for "System use"

Well I switched off the "system use" and all adsl went off.
Then, switched all usb i could again ON through the system hardware pane.
And both mouse and adsl went on again.

I notice that in front of the USB Controler,
I have 8 subdevices :
- 4 "root usb concentrator" (all on the same place "0").
Both the mouse and the adsl are running on the first one
so I have swithed OFF the 3 other one.
- 1 "universal host controlers USB 2.0 Intel 82801DB/DMB, 24CD"
requiring 10% of bandwith
- 3 "universal host controlers USB Intel 82801DB/DMB" : 24C2, 24C4, 24C7
they are all described as for system use
and requires 10% of bandwith except the first one that requests 32%

Knowing that I have only 2 usb physical ports,
are all these driver entries necessary ?
Are these the right parameters ?

How to get the "all USB Bandwith use panel" that poped up previously ?
(now, I can only ask each driver bandwith use on individual basis)

JLuc
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 24, 2005 7:23:42 PM

JLuc wrote:
> JLuc wrote:
> I have 8 subdevices :
> - 4 "root usb concentrator" (all on the same place "0").
> Both the mouse and the adsl are running on the first one
> so I have swithed OFF the 3 other one.
But I have to switch them on again each time I reboot the system
so as to get adslinternet to work...

> - 1 "universal host controlers USB 2.0 Intel 82801DB/DMB, 24CD"
> requiring 10% of bandwith
> - 3 "universal host controlers USB Intel 82801DB/DMB" : 24C2, 24C4, 24C7
> they are all described as for system use
> and requires 10% of bandwith except the first one that requests 32%
>
> Knowing that I have only 2 usb physical ports,
> are all these driver entries necessary ?
> Are these the right parameters ?
>
> How to get the "all USB Bandwith use panel" that poped up previously ?
> (now, I can only ask each driver bandwith use on individual basis)
>
> JLuc
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 24, 2005 8:06:28 PM

Why use USB for an ADSL connection when Ethernet is far superior and Ethernet
provides dedicated bandwidth? ... Ben Myers

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 09:50:42 +0200, JLuc <jluc.apprivoisez@lantispam.no-log.org>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I cant use the mouse anymore on a Pavilion ze4900 :
>
>the "no more usb bandwith warning" pops up.
>
>The details are :
>79% is used for the USB ADSL LAN Adapter
>13% is for "System use"
>
>Do you have a hint as how to get some band for the mouse ?
>
>As i might guess :
>79% is probably too much. Is there a way to reduce that ?
>Or can I cancel the "system use" ?
>
>Thanx for your answer...
>JLuc
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 24, 2005 9:00:33 PM

Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 16:06:28 GMT

Why use USB for an ADSL connection when Ethernet is far
superior and Ethernet provides dedicated bandwidth? ... Ben
Myers

Not necessarily true Ben... well in JLuc case this is probably true.
But if you have USB ports with independent processors for each port
(they only cost about 25 bucks for 5 ports). They can be vastly
superior to Ethernet. I use Ethernet, USB, and wireless here.

Cheers!

Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 25, 2005 5:21:30 PM

BillW50 wrote:
> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:426bc3db.1988388@nntp.charter.net...
> Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 16:06:28 GMT
>
> Why use USB for an ADSL connection when Ethernet is far
> superior and Ethernet provides dedicated bandwidth? ... Ben
> Myers

Well it just happens my adsl connection has an USB port !
and I would prefer to tune the software accordingly
rather than changing the hardware device or computer !
JL
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 25, 2005 5:45:00 PM

JLuc wrote:
> I notice that in front of the USB Controler,
> I have 8 subdevices :
> - 4 "root usb concentrator" (all on the same place "0").
> Both the mouse and the adsl are running on the first one
> so I have swithed OFF the 3 other one.
> - 1 "universal host controlers USB 2.0 Intel 82801DB/DMB, 24CD"
> requiring 10% of bandwith
> - 3 "universal host controlers USB Intel 82801DB/DMB" : 24C2, 24C4, 24C7
> they are all described as for system use
> and requires 10% of bandwith except the first one that requests 32%

It looks very strange to me to have these numerous root usb concentrator.
Are these the right parameters ?

JLuc
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 25, 2005 8:53:54 PM

Right now, I cant get the mouse to work.
By chance, the touchpad allways work.

The USB Modem uses 500mA : is it too much ?

Amongst the 4 displayed Extended Universal USB Host
3 have 2 ports and one has 6 ports available.

Is it a windows install issue ?
Is it a hardware issue ?
Where can I get help ?

Is there a better HP internet hotline place or forum somewhere
to get answers on the net
or my only "chance" (:-( is to send the pavilion back to HP ?

Thanx for your answers.
JLuc
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 25, 2005 8:53:55 PM

HP has an on-line moderated forum for customers on its web site. You might
describe the problem there.

I still think you need to give strong consideration to using an Ethernet
connection to your ADSL modem. With Windows XP, this sort of solution is a
cinch. With earlier versions of Windows, it may require software driver
installation, but probably not... Ben Myers

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:53:54 +0200, JLuc <jluc.apprivoisez@lantispam.no-log.org>
wrote:

>Right now, I cant get the mouse to work.
>By chance, the touchpad allways work.
>
>The USB Modem uses 500mA : is it too much ?
>
>Amongst the 4 displayed Extended Universal USB Host
>3 have 2 ports and one has 6 ports available.
>
>Is it a windows install issue ?
>Is it a hardware issue ?
>Where can I get help ?
>
>Is there a better HP internet hotline place or forum somewhere
>to get answers on the net
>or my only "chance" (:-( is to send the pavilion back to HP ?
>
>Thanx for your answers.
>JLuc
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 26, 2005 3:37:21 AM

Ben Myers wrote:
> HP has an on-line moderated forum for customers on its web site. You might
> describe the problem there.
Ok i'll point my touchpad toward it.

> I still think you need to give strong consideration to using an Ethernet
> connection to your ADSL modem. With Windows XP, this sort of solution is a
> cinch. With earlier versions of Windows, it may require software driver
> installation, but probably not...
It is Windows XP... but my modem ain't got any ethernet connection !
But you seem to think it is due to it.
Thanx.
Jluc
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 26, 2005 3:37:22 AM

So your ADSL modem has only a USB port, no Ethernet port? The DSL modems
delivered in the U.S. have both, and usually include cables for both... Ben
Myers

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 23:37:21 +0200, JLuc <jluc.apprivoisez@lantispam.no-log.org>
wrote:

>Ben Myers wrote:
>> HP has an on-line moderated forum for customers on its web site. You might
>> describe the problem there.
>Ok i'll point my touchpad toward it.
>>
>> I still think you need to give strong consideration to using an Ethernet
>> connection to your ADSL modem. With Windows XP, this sort of solution is a
>> cinch. With earlier versions of Windows, it may require software driver
>> installation, but probably not...
>It is Windows XP... but my modem ain't got any ethernet connection !
>But you seem to think it is due to it.
>Thanx.
>Jluc
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 26, 2005 12:42:16 PM

Ben Myers wrote:

> So your ADSL modem has only a USB port, no Ethernet port? The DSL modems
> delivered in the U.S. have both, and usually include cables for both...
ok i understand.
but this "Sagem 800" adsl modem only got a usb port.
and there is no ps2 port on the pavilion where I could adapt a mouse...
JL
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 5, 2005 7:32:21 PM

Don't know if you've got a solution yet, but USB bandwidth is based on
voltages. Via chipset motherboards are notoriously bad for USB
management.

most motherboards present their USB ports vertically over each other.
This is effectively one port hub with two connectors. Try plugging
the devices into different headers (if you have them)
If not, the cheapest option is to get a 4port PCI USB card or an
external powered hub but personally, i agree with the other guy....go
ethernet.

Hope this helps :D
!