Via vs. AMD vs. Intel?

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
I hear a lot of people say how crappy Via chipsets are. I want to know why that is? I have used many Via based boards and have not had any problems. The only chipset I have ever had a problem with was an old SiS. I have also heard people say the Intel and AMD chipsets suck. So what is the deal? How is Ali, I question them because they are aopen! I have had nothing but problems with aopen stuff but have never tried their chipsets. Any feed back would be great.

Thanks

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and most of them stink

G

I have never had any problems with my VIA chipsets, i havn't exactly bought hundreds of them, but the ones that i have dealt with (and bought for my own personal use aswell as work) have run flawlessly with both INTEL and AMD type processors. I found them reliable, fast, well supported and come on well priced mainboards. I too have heard people bag them out, but no one has actually said why,,,
I am interested to hear someone's reasons aswell.
But this post seems devoid of any technical reasons...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
ALi makes a good low performance chipset, with the exception of the MAGiK 1, which is a good medium-performance chipset. AMD intially had problems, but their new 760 is showing promise. I had multiple problems with driver incompatability, instability, and configuration errors with my last VIA chipset that took a long time to figure out, and then my system was only semi-stable. That was months ago, and I here they are doing better now, but I have no faith in them. BTW I had a lot of cards in my system, 6 I think, and a lot of programs. I even had to pull all the cards to get through settup!

Suicide is painless...........

speedracer

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2001
Pretty simple jezus, a botched upgrade or mixed with other hardware with possible compatibility problems and... well, it must be that damn chipset!! :)

TRENDING THREADS