Any memory chip soldering experts around? I need h

G

I've got a motherboard by Asus P/I-P55TVP4 (old) socket-7 with 512k L2 cahce onboard.

I think it is running of 4 chip, 2 of which is coded U1 and 5

UMC
UM61-3264F-6 (the last -6 could be nanoseconds i.e. 166Mhz)
9715S B3674 (or the 15S could be 15ns i.e. 66Mhz)
100 pins in all

2 of which is coded U2 and 6
PCIset
S82438VX
L6500268
Intel MC'95
100 pins in all
(this one have no hint about timing? not even sure if its a RAM apart from the label U2 and 6)

I have a broken Voodoo Banshee from a friend with 8 memory chip each labeled U1 to 8, 2MB each, since Banshee is 16MB. They are 8ns from
Elite
9846S -8Q (-8Q=8ns=124Mhz)
M32L1632512A BA70G-BA

Can I or is it possible to swop the memories from Banshee to the mobo?

I know the mobo is Pipeline Burt Write back, but don't know about the Banshee.

I was thinking if the 4 memory chip can be swopped, then my L2 cache will be 8MB which theoretically will give a huge performance boost.

Another worry - is the original cache really 6ns=166Mhz? or they should be 15ns=66Mhz?

Since this mobo is back in the old days I think 66Mhz is more like it.

I heard of the procedure to solder the chips is to use a powerful quick soldering purpose used hot air gun, which I can get hold of and have fair confident I can change at least 1 without failing it.

However getting all 4 succesfully changed is some what a big challenge.

Anyway, I want to do just for the sake of it, for fun, for learning etc. This is very exciting, the usual overclocking of K7 is boring now. O/C graphics card also boring now.

Its a shame I am no programmer or else I could try making my own BIOS. Well thats later until I graduate and have free time.

I am sure there must be other issues of voltage compatibility etc so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Best regards
cx5

HellDiver

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
Pesronal opinion : it'll never work out for ya. For about a dozen reasons some of which are:
1. Chk the specs of the chipset on the mobo. Did it even theoretically support over 512KB of L2?
2. Onboard L2 you have is SRAM. I think (!) that Voodoo Banshee sported some form of DRAM : SGRAM? SDRAM?
3. Check out specs of the memory chips in question. There are IC indexes on the net that tell you manufacturer, etc., find who did the chips and read the chips specs. I think you'll find out that they have different pinouts.
4. "not even sure if its a RAM apart from the label U2 and 6" - what makes you to believe that everything marked with "U" is memory? "Ux" (where x is number) is a common marking for ICs on PCBs ("U" prolly stands for "u" which is reminiscent of greek letter "mju", used to mean "micro" in electronics industry, as in "microchip").
5. There certainly are methods for manual SMT chips soldering, but the equipment is usually quite expensive, given how heat-sensitive ICs are. I wouldn't try it unless you have a rich experience in soldering of SMT components.

Do I need to go on?

Physically tampering with mobos is a bit trickier than rising your FSB clock through BIOS settings, trust me (3+ years of D-Level maintenance of expensive electronics for the Air Force).

HellDiver

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
"Also you need to modify other things such as resistors"
The original chips were SRAM. If the "planned" replacement ones are any form of DRAM (which I strongly suspect!) or have different pinout NOTHING will help the case.

"Also mem chip are soldered by machine so you can't do it yourself."
<TV shows buzzer sound> !! Wrong answer! Mem chips, just like any other SMT (which I suspect they are) chips CAN indeed be soldered by hand. Been done, many times, requires expensive equipment and A LOT of experience, but perfectly possible to pull out. (Again, I do have a couple of years of experience in the field... :) ).

"Don't even try it!!!"
Mmmm... I think that's what I should have answered instead of going into giving all the technical reasons in my first reply... :)

DON'T EVEN TRY IT. :)

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well I know a guy who does it with very little equipement. He just got a nice soldering iron a few cleaning tools and a damned steady hand. This guy tests chip/board setups for a nuclear instrument company and frequently has to solder SMD's by hand.

Leave a real <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq" target="_new">link</A>

G

To Solder chips is not to use soldering iron but special soldering hot air gun, which is available to me in the university labs, heheh

and they remove chips in 2 secs !! hehehe in perfect conditions!!

and I am a soldering experts, heheh!

The project will not work because the L2 cache cannot be modified as added with the stick card at the moment because they are controlled or addressed by a WINBOND chip where 8k or 16k TAG RAM can address 256k or 512k respectively.

Only mobo with a 32k TAG RAM can add another 512k cache.

For me I was thinking of solder 8MB for fun, so I will give up for me. I'll need to get a WINBOND that have 16 times more TAG RAM that what my 512k is.

The information was obtained from asus website.

Best regards
cx5

G

To Solder chips is not to use soldering iron but special soldering hot air gun, which is available to me in the university labs.

and they remove chips in 2 secs !! in perfect conditions!!

The project will not work because the L2 cache cannot be modified as added with the stick card at the moment because they are controlled or addressed by a WINBOND chip where 8k or 16k TAG RAM can address 256k or 512k respectively.

Only mobo with a 32k TAG RAM can add another 512k cache.

For me I was thinking of solder 8MB for fun, so I will give up for me. I'll need to get a WINBOND that have 16 times more TAG RAM that what my 512k is.

The information was obtained from asus website.

Best regards
cx5

G

Oh BTW, I did the toms Asus A7V CPU voltage increase soldering and GF_1_DDR soldering conversion to Quadro Pro, and A7V VIO voltage increase soldering, all with success! Thanks

Best regards
cx5

G

You are right, I am not sure if they are all RAMS?

I guessed and now asked, however I am worried about the PCIset not being ram, but sure have confident that the UMC ones are.

Then again never be over confident, or else bad things might happen! :(

Best regards
cx5