Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Win98SE pc As wireless base station

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 23, 2004 8:34:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Is there any problem setting up a wifi access point on a PC running on
Win98SE and IE 6?

I am using DLink AirPlus 714P+ wireless router but can't seem to get it
going. I have no problem setting it up on a Windows XP system though.

TIA
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 23, 2004 8:34:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

chungacs wrote:
> Is there any problem setting up a wifi access point on a PC running on
> Win98SE and IE 6?
>
> I am using DLink AirPlus 714P+ wireless router but can't seem to get it
> going. I have no problem setting it up on a Windows XP system though.
>
> TIA
>
>
Yeah windows is the problem. Try Linux
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 23, 2004 8:34:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

By setting up, do you mean getting to the config page via browser?
What is the IP of the win98? Is it static, or is it set to get an IP
(DHCP) from the router.


"chungacs" <chungacs@streamyx.com> wrote in message
news:41a30462$1_1@news.tm.net.my...
> Is there any problem setting up a wifi access point on a PC running
on
> Win98SE and IE 6?
>
> I am using DLink AirPlus 714P+ wireless router but can't seem to get
it
> going. I have no problem setting it up on a Windows XP system
though.
>
> TIA
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 25, 2004 1:56:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Airhead" <campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote in message
news:41a34853$0$801$2c56edd9@news.cablerocket.com...
> By setting up, do you mean getting to the config page via browser?
> What is the IP of the win98? Is it static, or is it set to get an IP
> (DHCP) from the router.
I have problem getting to the config page via browser. The manual says open
location by typing http://192.168.0.1. I keyed in the default username
password as suggested. I checked obtain IP address automatically (i suppose
this means dynamic IP) What else do i miss?

TIA


> "chungacs" <chungacs@streamyx.com> wrote in message
> news:41a30462$1_1@news.tm.net.my...
> > Is there any problem setting up a wifi access point on a PC running
> on
> > Win98SE and IE 6?
> >
> > I am using DLink AirPlus 714P+ wireless router but can't seem to get
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 25, 2004 2:13:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"chungacs" <chungacs@streamyx.com> wrote in message
news:41a549f0_2@news.tm.net.my...
>
> "Airhead" <campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote in message
> news:41a34853$0$801$2c56edd9@news.cablerocket.com...
> > By setting up, do you mean getting to the config page via browser?
> > What is the IP of the win98? Is it static, or is it set to get an IP
> > (DHCP) from the router.
> I have problem getting to the config page via browser. The manual says
open
> location by typing http://192.168.0.1.

Delete **I keyed in the default usernamepassword as suggested.:** What i
meant was : after typing in
http://192.168.0.1, i can't even get to the opening config page where i am
supposed to key in the user and p-word

I checked obtain IP address automatically (i suppose
> this means dynamic IP) What else do i miss?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 25, 2004 2:13:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"chungacs" <chungacs@streamyx.com> wrote in message
news:41a54ddf$1_1@news.tm.net.my...
>
> "chungacs" <chungacs@streamyx.com> wrote in message
> news:41a549f0_2@news.tm.net.my...
> >
> > "Airhead" <campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote in message
> > news:41a34853$0$801$2c56edd9@news.cablerocket.com...
> > > By setting up, do you mean getting to the config page via browser?
> > > What is the IP of the win98? Is it static, or is it set to get an IP
> > > (DHCP) from the router.
> > I have problem getting to the config page via browser. The manual says
> open
> > location by typing http://192.168.0.1.
>
> Delete **I keyed in the default usernamepassword as suggested.:** What i
> meant was : after typing in
> http://192.168.0.1, i can't even get to the opening config page where i am
> supposed to key in the user and p-word
>
> I checked obtain IP address automatically (i suppose
> > this means dynamic IP) What else do i miss?

Before you try to log in the first time to the AP, you may need to manually
set your machine's IP address to something like 192.168.0.2 and your gateway
as 192.168.0.1. Then you can log into the AP, turn on DHCP, and then set
your machine to obtain an IP address via DHCP.

Tim
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 25, 2004 3:16:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:34:11 +0800, "chungacs" <chungacs@streamyx.com>
wrote:

>Is there any problem setting up a wifi access point on a PC running on
>Win98SE and IE 6?

Nope. It's done all the time.

>I am using DLink AirPlus 714P+ wireless router but can't seem to get it
>going. I have no problem setting it up on a Windows XP system though.

The DI-714P+ has a DHCP server that will deliver an IP address to your
computah. Since this is the initial setup, you might was well make
sure that the DHCP server in the DI-714P+ is alive by resetting the
until to defaults. If you ended up with what someone has returned for
credit, it's highly likely the settings are wrong. Punch and hold the
button on the backf or however long the instructions demand.

The instructions should emphasize that you should do the initial
configuration using a wired LAN connection. There's no reason you
can't do it via a wireless connection except that you'll probably get
disconnected every time you save the settings. Also, if you decide to
later do a firmware upgrade, do it with a wired LAN connection and any
interruption or accidental disconnect will be catastrophic.

With a wired LAN connection, open a DOS window and run:
Start -> Run -> command
ipconfig
If it says 192.168.1.xxx for your IP and 192.168.1.1 for the gateway,
then it's working correctly. Try the browser again.

If it says 169.254.xxx.xxx, your computer did not get a DHCP delivered
IP address from the router.

If it says 0.0.0.0, give it a little longer to get an IP address.

If it says some other IP address, either the router was not properly
reset, or you have your W98SE networking configured for a static IP
address.

Try:
IPCONFIG /release_all
IPCONFIG /renew_all
to force the DHCP client to ask for an address.

There are also some things that might interfere with getting a DHCP
assigned address and communicating with the router. Look for personal
firewalls, security pretzels, and VPN software that assigns static
routes. Also check for a bad ethernet cable.

Once you have the router configured via the wired LAN, then and only
then try the wireless part.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
!