Win98SE pc As wireless base station

Is there any problem setting up a wifi access point on a PC running on
Win98SE and IE 6?

I am using DLink AirPlus 714P+ wireless router but can't seem to get it
going. I have no problem setting it up on a Windows XP system though.

TIA
6 answers Last reply
More about win98se wireless base station

    chungacs wrote:
    > Is there any problem setting up a wifi access point on a PC running on
    > Win98SE and IE 6?
    >
    > I am using DLink AirPlus 714P+ wireless router but can't seem to get it
    > going. I have no problem setting it up on a Windows XP system though.
    >
    > TIA

    Yeah windows is the problem. Try Linux

    By setting up, do you mean getting to the config page via browser?
    What is the IP of the win98? Is it static, or is it set to get an IP
    (DHCP) from the router.

    "Airhead" <campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote in message
    > By setting up, do you mean getting to the config page via browser?
    > What is the IP of the win98? Is it static, or is it set to get an IP
    > (DHCP) from the router.
    I have problem getting to the config page via browser. The manual says open
    location by typing http://192.168.0.1. I keyed in the default username
    password as suggested. I checked obtain IP address automatically (i suppose
    this means dynamic IP) What else do i miss?

    TIA

    > "Airhead" <campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote in message
    > > By setting up, do you mean getting to the config page via browser?
    > > What is the IP of the win98? Is it static, or is it set to get an IP
    > > (DHCP) from the router.
    > I have problem getting to the config page via browser. The manual says
    open
    > location by typing http://192.168.0.1.

    Delete **I keyed in the default usernamepassword as suggested.:** What i
    meant was : after typing in
    http://192.168.0.1, i can't even get to the opening config page where i am
    supposed to key in the user and p-word

    > "chungacs" <chungacs@streamyx.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Airhead" <campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote in message
    > > > By setting up, do you mean getting to the config page via browser?
    > > > What is the IP of the win98? Is it static, or is it set to get an IP
    > > > (DHCP) from the router.
    > > I have problem getting to the config page via browser. The manual says
    > open
    > > location by typing http://192.168.0.1.
    >
    > Delete **I keyed in the default usernamepassword as suggested.:** What i
    > meant was : after typing in
    > http://192.168.0.1, i can't even get to the opening config page where i am
    > supposed to key in the user and p-word
    >
    > I checked obtain IP address automatically (i suppose
    > > this means dynamic IP) What else do i miss?

    Before you try to log in the first time to the AP, you may need to manually
    set your machine's IP address to something like 192.168.0.2 and your gateway
    as 192.168.0.1. Then you can log into the AP, turn on DHCP, and then set
    your machine to obtain an IP address via DHCP.

    Tim

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:34:11 +0800, "chungacs" <chungacs@streamyx.com>
    wrote:

    >Is there any problem setting up a wifi access point on a PC running on
    >Win98SE and IE 6?

    Nope. It's done all the time.

    >I am using DLink AirPlus 714P+ wireless router but can't seem to get it
    >going. I have no problem setting it up on a Windows XP system though.

    The DI-714P+ has a DHCP server that will deliver an IP address to your
    computah. Since this is the initial setup, you might was well make
    sure that the DHCP server in the DI-714P+ is alive by resetting the
    until to defaults. If you ended up with what someone has returned for
    credit, it's highly likely the settings are wrong. Punch and hold the
    button on the backf or however long the instructions demand.

    The instructions should emphasize that you should do the initial
    configuration using a wired LAN connection. There's no reason you
    can't do it via a wireless connection except that you'll probably get
    disconnected every time you save the settings. Also, if you decide to
    later do a firmware upgrade, do it with a wired LAN connection and any
    interruption or accidental disconnect will be catastrophic.

    With a wired LAN connection, open a DOS window and run:
    Start -> Run -> command
    ipconfig
    If it says 192.168.1.xxx for your IP and 192.168.1.1 for the gateway,
    then it's working correctly. Try the browser again.

    If it says 169.254.xxx.xxx, your computer did not get a DHCP delivered
    IP address from the router.

    If it says 0.0.0.0, give it a little longer to get an IP address.

    If it says some other IP address, either the router was not properly
    reset, or you have your W98SE networking configured for a static IP
    address.

    Try:
    IPCONFIG /release_all
    IPCONFIG /renew_all
    to force the DHCP client to ask for an address.

    There are also some things that might interfere with getting a DHCP
    assigned address and communicating with the router. Look for personal
    firewalls, security pretzels, and VPN software that assigns static
    routes. Also check for a bad ethernet cable.

    Once you have the router configured via the wired LAN, then and only
    then try the wireless part.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Wireless Internet Explorer Wireless Router Wireless Networking