Sign in with
Your question

First impression of full Crysis 2 game?

Last response: in Video Games
March 22, 2011 5:20:33 PM

Anyone d/l it and played the SP yet? Just wonder what the first impressions are. Also I am trying to see if I am right to wait until the price drops instead of paying the ridiculous console price.
March 22, 2011 6:51:10 PM

Either I was right to wait, or its SOOO great that everyone who d/l it is too busy playing to reply...
m
l
March 22, 2011 8:59:49 PM

It's ok but an obvious console port. There are only three graphical options from what I can see so far. There is high, very high, and extreme. It seems like there should be some lower options, but maybe it only gives you the options based on your hardware. There is no option for anti-aliasing or anything of that nature.

Gameplay is smooth and I am enjoying it. The game does look good, even if they did go a bit overboard with the blur (another thing to blame on the consoles). I am running it at a constant 60fps v-synced with one Gtx580.

Haven't tried the multiplayer yet.
m
l
Related resources
March 22, 2011 11:57:29 PM

First impression = Nerd raging.

1. I pre-ordered on Steam and there was no pre-load

2. You couldn't even download the game at midnight. I went to sleep at 4am CST hoping to download it and no luck

3. Downloaded it @ 9am this morning and it didn't finish til an hr ago (7pm).

4. Found out Crysis 2 does not support DirectX 11 yet. That was the whole reason I upgraded from my 5870 to my 6950... so I could have a card that's better at handling tessellation.

5. Ended up buying Batman Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition on Steam you know why? Because it supports DirectX 11 unliked Crysis 2 :( . Also the fact it's only $7.50 helped a lot :) 
m
l
March 23, 2011 2:06:11 AM

Sounds like 2 more reason to wait for steam sale.

Who were the jackasses that were saying "just wait till the release, it will have DX11, the MP is only a demo, it will have all the PC settings on the full release, the leaked version is not the retail version...blah, blah, blah"

Of course I knew it would be a console port. I guess I am hoping beyond hope, but at $60(which I have never paid for ANY game) definitely look like steam sale.
m
l
March 23, 2011 2:25:26 AM

I love it so far.. Gameplay is smooth and so far the campaign is fun.
MP is very nice as well.
Looks great on my pc..
People are complaining as usual upon most new releases.. but I feel they're being too critical.
Will be patched as any game to be improved.. I wish companies would put out games with everything already applied but it's nothing new.. So I knew what to expect.

Except for those steam users who are having key issues.. I would be upset about that too.
m
l
March 23, 2011 2:46:56 AM

How is complaining about Crysis 2 not supporting DX11 like it was supposed "too critical"?

I haven't played the game and not going to play the game until the DX11 patch/mod comes out.
m
l
March 23, 2011 9:20:18 AM

Carc369 said:
First impression = Nerd raging.

5. Ended up buying Batman Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition on Steam you know why? Because it supports DirectX 11 unliked Crysis 2 :( . Also the fact it's only $7.50 helped a lot :) 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Batman uses unreal engine and supports dx9.
m
l
March 23, 2011 9:21:40 AM

According to crytex dx11 support will be added in the future through a massive patch.
m
l
March 23, 2011 9:24:18 AM

Pc Guru_07 said:
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Batman uses unreal engine and supports dx9.

Was playing and saw no tessellation so I was like wtf?!@?!?

Researched it and found out it didn't support DX11. I came back here to sneakily edit my post but you caught it before I could modify it :( .

FML. Meh it's only $7.50. Wish I could take back my $60 for Crysis.
m
l
March 23, 2011 11:33:10 AM

Carc369 said:
Was playing and saw no tessellation so I was like wtf?!@?!?

Researched it and found out it didn't support DX11. I came back here to sneakily edit my post but you caught it before I could modify it :( .

FML. Meh it's only $7.50. Wish I could take back my $60 for Crysis.

I was confused there, thought there was some new official super patch of Arkham Asylum using the updated Unreal engine that does support dx11 and tessellation. When I found out there wasn't, I was slightly disapointed. Quite a good game though, Arkham city will most likely use the updated engine with dx11 support. Honestly though, I spent some time doing the challenges again.

Apart from the "Jackasses that were saying..."
A patch will come out, both the beta and demo aren't identical to the full game, although I do think it's not worth 60$, but I would get it once a dx11 patch comes out and the game gets priced down to 30-50$.
m
l
March 23, 2011 7:20:01 PM

I like the game a lot already. However, I have a 5970 and the lights (screen) flickers constantly if I am in full screen. Shitty drivers, and the driver applications at AMD/ATI don't fix it. I have to disable my crossfire in order to play the game, but then fps rates are 45 and lower, when I had Xfire on I could get 60fps throughout the whole game. I hope they fix that or I'll be pissed. Oh, and Dx11 would be nice too.
m
l
March 25, 2011 3:17:03 PM

I love this game, Crysis 2 4 PC, is going to be one of the best shooters ever created, my advice is don't acquire it through STEAM, because it runs without STEAM completely stand alone, just like the other Crysis releases.

Don't even have to have the installation disk in the optical drive for the game to run.

The DX11 issue is no reason what so ever not to be playing the game, if you're waiting for a price drop, it may happen by Christmas, but the popularity will keep the price from dropping for a long time.

There's no way from any demo could you ever grasp what this game details, the Nanosuit is upgradeable, one seriously cool feature, so far I'm loving this game more and more each time I play it, it's addictive.

Have not gotten all the way through it yet, I'm running a single 580GTX and the game play is flawlessly smooth, game settings totally maxed out, no problems what so ever, well have fun with your arguments, it's time to play! :lol: 

Best software $60.00 I ever spent, No regrets! Ryan
m
l
March 25, 2011 5:25:45 PM

I preordered crysis 2 march 22. It should keep me fresh until battlefield 3, and brink.
m
l
March 25, 2011 5:29:15 PM

I tried the multiplayer demo for pc and it was great... was impressed with the graphics and smooth game play but also like a previous poster mentioned it doesnot have a lot of options to customize graphics.

For those who are playing the full release, can you tell me does it have a single player mode and if so how long does it go, how many levels, episodes or campaigns are there?

I really need to know that before I go and buy it... I like playing the single player mode if there is one.
m
l
March 25, 2011 6:43:58 PM

^ Single Player Mode Absolutely!

Full length of the game.
m
l
March 25, 2011 8:30:00 PM

I tried on the x360 and the graphics take a couple of seconds to render the details as you approach objects like cars or buildings, haven't had a chance to play it on PS3 or PC yet to see the difference but the game itself is fun with not much of a learning curve, controls are similar to other FPS. I'd give it 9/10, up there with Halo Reach, Dead Space 2, and Black Ops.
m
l
March 25, 2011 9:14:39 PM

4Ryan6 said:
^ Single Player Mode Absolutely!

Full length of the game.

Thanks for reply.

By the way I like your signature I definitely am not a fool because I like knowledge and instruction... I also like video games... hopefully the Lord doesn't mind that xD.
m
l
March 25, 2011 10:52:35 PM

I pre-ordered Crysis 2 what seems like AGES ago and then didn't pay any attention to any previews, leaks, news, etc.

So, that set's the scene as I fired up Crysis 2 for the first time, with no knowledge of "console porting", DirectX this & that, conspiracy with nvidia, blah blah blah.

At first, I was very disappointed in how they changed nearly every single control in the game, I assume because it was designed to be run on a gamepad (console). For example, I really miss the old hold down "V" and slide your mouse to engage the different nano suit modes. Now each mode has a dedicated keyboard button. They moved the melee attack and the weapon customize keys too. There isn't a key to lay completely prone on your belly, unless I haven't discovered it yet.

I was also put off by the new armor mode, the default mode in C1 & CWH. It now uses up your suit's energy even at rest instead of when you take hits. I also hate having to press "F" to manually tag enemies... C1 did it automatically. I do like the tagging strategic points in the environment, guns, & ammo though.

Another thing I REALLY miss is that there's no quicksave feature... you can only start at the last checkpoint as far as I can tell. In Crysis 1, I must have played the tank level 50 times because I loved it so much. Also, I have a busy home life with small children etc. and it's nice to be able to hit "F5", shut it down, and walk away... come back later and start back up where I left off.

My last gripe is the AI. I'm only at the beginning of the game still (busy home life again), but the soldiers seem.... really stupid. In C1, the KPA soldiers might spot you, call their gang over to come investigate, and if you kicked their asses they would run off and toss a grenade or two. In C2, I've seen several instances in which the soldiers spot me from very far away, immediately toss a grenade (how do they now my passing shadow isn't a stray cat or something??), it bounces off some part of the environment back at them and they blow themselves up without me doing anything. They're more gung-ho and ready to shoot at anything that moves.

That said, what have I liked??? I LOVE the sneak up and stealth-kill. Also, I think the ability to pop over barricades and around corners is something C1 was really missing. I like the ability to grab onto ledges too. The lighting in the game looks spectacular (can't wait for DX11 and all it brings).

It reminds me of a really good movie... and then they make the sequel that you don't like as much just because it is different. It's not that the sequel isn't good, it's just they changed some of the things I loved about the original. If the sequel came out first, I would have a higher opinion of it. I'm pretty sure I'll like the game more and more as I play it.

I can't help but draw parallels with the Predator movies. The first one has an invisible ass-kicker in the jungle taking out hapless meatbags with his superior weoponry. In Predator 2, the same ass-kicker is in the in the big city and although there were some new things added... it just wasn't as cool as the first.

That's my 2¢.
m
l
March 26, 2011 12:56:15 AM

I have not played it well enough to know whether I really like it or not, but I can comment on performance so far from what I have played of it on both my Crossfire system and my sons gaming system here. My Crossfire system initially had a weird texture issue going on with the water at the beginning. AMD released 11.2 CAP4 which resolved that. Regardless of the texture fix, actual performance was more sluggish with two cards then one, with the fps being 10-15 fps lower then single card performance. My crossfire system uses a Athlon II X4 635@2.9ghz pair with two HD 5770 cards. Running a single 5770, with the game set to 1360x768 and "Hardcore" settings, resulted in this:
2011-03-25 03:47:46 - Crysis2
Frames: 41207 - Time: 807336ms - Avg: 51.041 - Min: 31 - Max: 89

My sons system uses a Athlon II X3 435@2.9ghz paired with a single HD 4830. I ran the game in the same area I did on my Crossfire system, with the game set to 1280x768 and "Advanced", and his minimum fps was recorded as 27 fps, and the average was 37fps. I dont remember the max fps off hand though. Gamer mode was quite a bit faster on his, but since it was fully playable in Advanced, that is going to be the setting for him to play it at as the performance/visual trade off was good. I may try the game on my FX-62 SLI 8800GTS system in a day or two also, if I have the time.
m
l
March 26, 2011 2:38:38 AM

I just wish they made it for PC, then ported it to consoles.
Seems to me that the game in question's predecessor has better graphics and game play.
That for me is a disappointment.

It's still fun though.
m
l
March 26, 2011 3:54:34 AM

maybe just wait till the dx11 patch comes out. You wouldnt want to get far into the game then possibly want to replay it with dx11 on. better to have it the first time.
m
l
March 26, 2011 6:15:06 PM

I for one am very excited about the game, the intro video got me really excited about the nano suit and showing how it works in detail, a lot better then the first crysis did.

I am very shocked to see the game run perfectly on my 5830 @ 1080P on hardcore settings with my 5830 overclocked to 925/1300 now I know I don't need to buy a new video card. For now that is, it seems like sometimes reading through these negative posts can ruin the game for so many people, sometimes I don't even notice certain flaws until negative people point them out but I have only seen a few and that does not change how I feel about the game, set aside the directx set at 9. I could have sworn it was at least directx10 when playing it.

Does anyone know if there would be a difference between me having my i7 930 overclocked to 4ghz or stock at 2.8ghz would have an impact on performance? Ill try it out later on when I have time but if someone replies with an answer before I am able to test it that would be great.

Thanks
m
l
March 27, 2011 5:05:06 AM

vexun11 said:
I for one am very excited about the game, the intro video got me really excited about the nano suit and showing how it works in detail, a lot better then the first crysis did.

I am very shocked to see the game run perfectly on my 5830 @ 1080P on hardcore settings with my 5830 overclocked to 925/1300 now I know I don't need to buy a new video card. For now that is, it seems like sometimes reading through these negative posts can ruin the game for so many people, sometimes I don't even notice certain flaws until negative people point them out but I have only seen a few and that does not change how I feel about the game, set aside the directx set at 9. I could have sworn it was at least directx10 when playing it.

Does anyone know if there would be a difference between me having my i7 930 overclocked to 4ghz or stock at 2.8ghz would have an impact on performance? Ill try it out later on when I have time but if someone replies with an answer before I am able to test it that would be great.

Thanks

That's because Crysis 2 is DX9. The 5830 is a mid-entry gaming card that isn't capable of playing on maxed settings in DX11 @ 1080P for most DX11 games.

No there will be no improvement in your framerate if you overclocked it to 4ghz unless you have a crossfire setup with higher end cards (2 6950's or 2 570's for example).
m
l
March 27, 2011 10:00:21 AM

For those caring to know, ran the game on my FX-62 SLI system. After updating the drivers and installing that Nvidia SLI profile setup for Crysis 2, it ended up not fixing the water texture issues. Renaming the .exe does, but cripples SLI performance in the process, just like on my Crossfire setup, making the game run worse then with a single card. It also caused other graphics bugs. Due to that I did not bother to record a solid test run in SLI with fraps.

I did however do a single card run at Gamer details@1360x768 and the games average fps was recorded at 39 with fraps. I will mess with the game again later on my SLI system when they release drivers that can handle SLI in the game better. As is though, game does look decent at Gamer settings on that system, and for what its worth it is nice to know people limited to older dual core systems with similar speed cpu and processor could play the game still pretty well.
m
l
March 27, 2011 10:49:53 AM

I started an individual thread on what I'm about to say; but I thought I might reiterate it again here.
Whenever I die and start from a check point the melee button stops working.
The only fix I can figure out is to exit the game completely.
m
l
April 8, 2011 9:19:15 AM

poopoo-peepee said:
I started an individual thread on what I'm about to say; but I thought I might reiterate it again here.
Whenever I die and start from a check point the melee button stops working.
The only fix I can figure out is to exit the game completely.

Don't die... problem solved :p  ...am only joking... it amazes me that bugs like this get past the development stage of making a game... unless you got a bad cd or download and or bad install some how...

Back to thread... I just bought the original crysis... gonna play it then get other 2 crysis versions and finally crysis 2 maybe. I prefer the single player mode of the games myself.

Gonna get Farcry too probably is for sale for cheap at gog[dot]com yeah then once I am done with all those will think about crysis 2 :p 
m
l
!