A7V in combination with V6800 problems

G

Since I have my new system I'm experiencing a lot of unclear and inconsistent crashes. After testing (and testing...) my conclusion was that the V6800 graphics card causes these problems (a simple AGP card does not lead to certain crashes). This is my system:

AMD-K7-800MHz
ASUS A7-V Duron
128 MB
GEFORCE V6800 32MB
Tried Windows98 and ME

Do you know of any incompatibility problems using the V6800 in combination with the A7V? If so, what graphics card would I trade it for to solve my problems, for example, does a V7700 with the A7V not lead to any problems? Or should I not even consider an ASUS graphics card any longer?

ASUS gives the following info on their website:

System requirements for the V6800:
Intel PentiumTM, Pentium ProTM, Pentium IITM III or compatible CPUs
Intel chipset mainboard or ASUS K7M mainboard only

And for the V7700:
Intel PentiumTM, Pentium ProTM, Pentium IITM III or compatible CPUs
Intel chipset mainboard recommended

Maybe the difference in word choice (only vs recommended)says it all: *NO* V6800 in an AV7 and *MAYBE* a V7700?

I could really use some help, because I have to negotiate with the store where I bought my system...

Thank you!

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try the latest BIOS release for the A7V, there was an issue when a system had a SoundBlaster LIVE in slot 4-5 causing problems with the promise ATA-100 controller. Also, reinstall the OS after that. Check to make sure you dont have IRQ's sharings between any cards. I had to work with this board. Also make sure that chipset and ATA-100 (if your using it, if not disable it in the BIOS) drivers are installed just after the OS.

Hope that helps.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!