amdark

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
hi i am running win xp pro and i have 3 accounts administrator Andrew K (myself) and guest how can i get rid of the other 2 acounts Andrew K and Guest, im the only person that uses the comp so i really dont need the other accounts.

thanks

TheCh0s3n1

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
According to Windows XP Help, "The guest account offers limited access, so you don't have to worry about a guest user seeing your files or changing computer settings." This feature cannot be deleted and can only be turned on and off from an administrator-type account.

The reason you have both "Administrator" and "Andrew K" is that you entered a password for the Administrator account during Windows XP installation. I believe you can actually delete the "Andrew K" user account and then always log on as "Adminstrator." What you will not be able to do henceforth is change the user account name from "Administrator" to anything else.

RichPLS

Champion
Logon as Admin and launch user mangager and open account, and delete.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

amdark

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
go where setings control panel user accounts?
i went there i cant delete Andrew K i turned off guest though that worked.
how would i delte Andrew K

RichPLS

Champion
You can logon as Admin and browse to Documents and Settings, then manually delete the users directory. Make sure any files you may need are backed up for this user first.

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
Yes, you have to be logged in as Admin to delete Andrew K

mjjohn

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
DO NOT remove the Andrew account! Use this account for every day activity. If somehow you mess it up with a software installation or a tweak and are unable to log on as Andrew you have the Administrator account for a back up. MS also recommends that you do not log in as Administrator (Andrew can have administrator rights) because if a virus or hacker gets ahold of you, anything can be done to or with your pc. Logging in as a user gives the system a little bit of protection.

For it is not what is seen, but what is not seen. :eek:

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
There is no difference between THE administer accound and any other admin account.

Microsoft recommends using a limited user account for security, except it does nothing to make your computer safe and makes it nearly impossible to play games or run common programs with out an insane amount tweaking.

Keep at least 2 admin accounts, because sometimes an account becomes damaged, and it its the only account then your are screwed.

Better yet backup our PC regularly and don't have to worry about any software problems.

amdark

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
ok i see what u are saying. i think im goign to install 64 bit edition anyway if noticed i have another post with tha mess. thats what i originally wanted on but i made this headache.

o well thanks for the help going to back up some files and try the 64 bit ISO boot.