Asus P/I-P55T2P4 & AMD K6-2+ 500 Issue

G

Asus P/I-P55T2P4 Motherboard
AMD K6-2+/500MHz @ 83MHz bus
Win98SE

When this processor replaced a P5-133, I began to experience a shutdown/reboot issue. When you choose to either "Shutdown" or "Restart" from the shutdown menu, the machine simply gives a black screen. I have to reset it for it to reboot or turn it off for it to shutdown. When I put the P5-133 back in, however, this issue disappears. Have tried the following: loading 98SE Shutdown Supplement, lowering bus speed down to 75 and to 66, slowed down memory timings from 60ns to 70ns, all of which did absolutely no good in solving this issue. Anybody else out there experience this firsthand, and if so, have a fix? If not, any suggestions would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any possible assistance rendered,

manux

"43% of all statistics are made up. This is one of them."
-- Some dude @ Slashdot.

G

Yes, I am using the 2x=6x trick, it is @ 2.0 volts, which is the correct voltage unless I am mistaken, and yes, shutdown/reboot is the only place where I have seen an issue. Extensive testing has not been done, however, I haven't burned in w/ Prime95 or anything like that just yet, want to work out the obvious issues before the issues experienced under full load.

-- Some dude @ Slashdot.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
One thing I have seen cause this is an IRQ conflict, specifically, a DOS mode driver, check to see if you can restart in DOS mode. If you can't, check Autoexec.bat and see what you have in there. For me it was a sound card driver, I freed up the IRQ by excluding IRQ 5 in BIOS, then changed the IRQ on the command line in Autoexec from 7 to 5. It had been conflicting with my Parrallel port (but only in DOS mode of course). Some people just remove the line, disabling the DOS mode driver. It could be a number of things, but that was one that I have seen.

Suicide is painless...........

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Silly boy, the BX was a 440 and goes stably to 133-150! But the chipset of his board (what was it, an lx, a 430 maybe?), would only go to 83. Besides, that type of problem would be more noticeable on bootup than shutdown. But he could try 75 to be safe, as some were not stable at 83.

Suicide is painless...........

G

No dos level drivers loading, the sound card is an SB16 ISA using the built-in Windows drivers, so currently the autoexec.bat is completely empty. Just did a format and reload on the system, so it shouldn't be a software-specific issue...

-- Some dude @ Slashdot.

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
I had the same fault on a machine sometime ago.

Turned out to be power management settings (the solution was illogical, I just pissed around with settings until the fault went away).

Hard to believe this fault would arise from swapping processors though I guess.