Alltel coverage removed from AC?

Say it isn't so. Verizon AC and Local OH maps, and their Coverage Locator
shows Alltel missing from SE and E Ohio. Alltel just changed to SID 126 in
that area. Several map updates only show Sprint and Cingular (yes) as
Extended partners in the area. Can an error be maintained that long? It is
possible Alltel is using a different SID in the area?

Alltel's PRL 904 (http://prlsites.tripod.com/904.txt) shows that area as
126. Anyone traveling through the area that can verify? This area centers
on I-77 and I-70. Verizon and Alltel formerly shared SID 32 there. Now
that they have split, I wonder.

Bill Radio
http://www.mountainwireless.com

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:27:59 -0600, "Bill Radio"
<Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote:

>Alltel's PRL 904 (http://prlsites.tripod.com/904.txt) shows that area as
>126. Anyone traveling through the area that can verify? This area centers
>on I-77 and I-70. Verizon and Alltel formerly shared SID 32 there. Now
>that they have split, I wonder.

I haven't travelled in that area, but you might have answered your own
question. Its odd that companies have shared SIDs, but this appears to
have been something done WAY back in the early analog days! It appears
that Alltel is migrating away from SID sharing.

Cingular and Dobson share a SID (SID 13) which in the DC metro area is
Cingular and in the eastern shore of Maryland is Dobson (under the
Cell One brand). Again, very odd but must have been something done WAY
back in the analog days (which continued into the TDMA days - who
knows what they're doing with GSM)

Dave

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:20:20 -0400, Diamond Dave
<dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Cingular and Dobson share a SID (SID 13) which in the DC metro area is
>Cingular and in the eastern shore of Maryland is Dobson (under the
>Cell One brand). Again, very odd but must have been something done WAY
>back in the analog days (which continued into the TDMA days - who
>knows what they're doing with GSM)

I take that back. Doing some reasearch, Cingular bought the licenses
from Dobson back in April of this year. So the entire area is under
Cingular now.

Dave

Whew. That's a relief! Now I can bug Verizon to fix their map! hehe ;-)

-Bill

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:27:59 -0600, Bill Radio wrote:

> Say it isn't so. Verizon AC and Local OH maps, and their Coverage Locator
> shows Alltel missing from SE and E Ohio. Alltel just changed to SID 126 in
> that area. Several map updates only show Sprint and Cingular (yes) as
> Extended partners in the area. Can an error be maintained that long? It is
> possible Alltel is using a different SID in the area?
>
> Alltel's PRL 904 (http://prlsites.tripod.com/904.txt) shows that area as
> 126. Anyone traveling through the area that can verify? This area centers
> on I-77 and I-70. Verizon and Alltel formerly shared SID 32 there. Now
> that they have split, I wonder.
>

> Bill Radio
> Click for Western U.S. Wireless Reviews at:
> http://www.mountainwireless.com

I traveled through the I-70/I-77 area earlier this evening and it is SID
126. My NSR phone locked on just fine.

Mike

Splendid

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:08:04 -0600, "Bill Radio"
<Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote:

>Whew. That's a relief! Now I can bug Verizon to fix their map! hehe ;-)

As I mentioned to you in the Alltel group, I did indeed pick up SID
126 from Alltel in Southeast Ohio. I'm a VZW AC customer with the
latest PRL out (50203, I think).

If I remember right, 126 showed up as Extended Network WITHOUT the
flashing triangle, which if I'm understanding right, is the new
default behavior for Extended Network partners included in the new
extended In-Network coverage area.

Mike

Bill, I think there's a message about the Alltel change over on
alt.cellular.alltel about this change.

Traveling Man <none@none.com> wrote in

> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:27:59 -0600, Bill Radio wrote:
>
> I traveled through the I-70/I-77 area earlier this evening and it is
> SID 126. My NSR phone locked on just fine.

Y'all boys welcome to Alltel......hee hee...(c;

50203 is the latest PRL.

David R. Goyer

--
All email is scanned and deemed virus free by Norton Anti-Virus 2003.

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:12:13 GMT, Larry W4CSC wrote:

> Traveling Man <none@none.com> wrote in
>
>> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:27:59 -0600, Bill Radio wrote:
>>
>> I traveled through the I-70/I-77 area earlier this evening and it is
>> SID 126. My NSR phone locked on just fine.
>>

> Y'all boys welcome to Alltel......hee hee...(c;

I use Alltel when I'm visiting NC also. Coverage is just fine.
Unfortunately Alltel isn't available in my home area.

TRENDING THREADS