Wirelessly connecting 2 D-Link 624+ routers

Hi,

I bought 2 D-links 624+ routers. I have two networks in 2 different
rooms. All devices in one room are wired to the router in that room.
What I'd like to do is to connect both networks wirelessly.
Turning one of both routers into an access point should do the trick.
But I don't know how...I've looked at all available options in the web
admin of the router, but found nothing.
Isn't possible to say one router receives DHCP settings (ip, gateway,
dns...) from the other one (in wireless mode of course)

Any idea how I can achieve that ?

Thanks

Tahiti Bob wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I bought 2 D-links 624+ routers. I have two networks in 2 different
> rooms. All devices in one room are wired to the router in that room.
> What I'd like to do is to connect both networks wirelessly.
> Turning one of both routers into an access point should do the trick.
> But I don't know how...I've looked at all available options in the web
> admin of the router, but found nothing.
> Isn't possible to say one router receives DHCP settings (ip, gateway,
> dns...) from the other one (in wireless mode of course)
>
> Any idea how I can achieve that ?
>
> Thanks

Sorry they're "624" models, not "624+"

Ed

NO CAN DO
That was my hope when I bought 2 DI-624s.
Eventually found that it is not in the manual because it can't be done.
Thats the short answer, it took me a couple of weeks to find out.

Only way is if the 2 DI-624 are wired together and 1 configured as a
switch. See my longer version at
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9619057?hilite=DI-624%20bridge
or do a search there on DI-624 bridge

Good luck
Ed

Tahiti Bob <matthew.vanbiervliet@tiscali.be> wrote in news:41a32870$0$30708
$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be:

> Tahiti Bob wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I bought 2 D-links 624+ routers. I have two networks in 2 different
>> rooms. All devices in one room are wired to the router in that room.
>> What I'd like to do is to connect both networks wirelessly.
>> Turning one of both routers into an access point should do the trick.
>> But I don't know how...I've looked at all available options in the web
>> admin of the router, but found nothing.
>> Isn't possible to say one router receives DHCP settings (ip, gateway,
>> dns...) from the other one (in wireless mode of course)
>>
>> Any idea how I can achieve that ?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Sorry they're "624" models, not "624+"

You can do it like the Linksys wireless router. It should be very close or
the same for the D-Link. You make the device IP of the second router (now a
wire/wireless switch) be one of the static IP(s) on the DHCP and gateway
router and use the same Subnet mask, the computers can share resources with
each other between the two devices.

http://tinyurl.com/5sjf3

Duane :)

On 23 Nov 2004, you wrote in alt.internet.wireless:

> Tahiti Bob wrote:

>> I bought 2 D-links 624+ routers. I have two networks in 2
>> different rooms. All devices in one room are wired to the router
>> in that room. What I'd like to do is to connect both networks
>> wirelessly. Turning one of both routers into an access point
>> should do the trick. But I don't know how...I've looked at all

> Sorry they're "624" models, not "624+"

The problem is that they are *both* access points. To connect
wirelessly, you need one to be a client device. I suggest that what
you need is an access point with a 'wireless client bridge' mode, or
one of the devices sold as a 'gaming bridge', in each case connected
to a switch. Connect your wired devices to the switch, and away you
go. The key thing is to use a wireless device which will support
communication to multiple MAC addresses.

Some of the multi-mode access point products will do the job: the
current D-Link product is the DWL-2100 but I've not personally tried
it so can't guarantee that it works. Try the DWL-G810 or DWL-G820 -
either of these should work. A suitable switch is the DSS-8+ or DES-
1008D or similar.

If you've just bought your kit, you may well be able to exchange one
of the DI-624s for something else...

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.

Ed

Richard Perkin wrote:
>>Tahiti Bob wrote: that he bought 2 D-links 624+ routers.
>

> The problem is that they are *both* access points. To connect
> wirelessly, you need one to be a client device. I suggest that what
> you need is an access point with a 'wireless client bridge' mode, or
> one of the devices sold as a 'gaming bridge', in each case connected
> to a switch. Connect your wired devices to the switch, and away you
> go. The key thing is to use a wireless device which will support
> communication to multiple MAC addresses.
>
> Some of the multi-mode access point products will do the job: the
> current D-Link product is the DWL-2100 but I've not personally tried
> it so can't guarantee that it works. Try the DWL-G810 or DWL-G820 -
> either of these should work. A suitable switch is the DSS-8+ or DES-
> 1008D or similar.
>
> If you've just bought your kit, you may well be able to exchange one
> of the DI-624s for something else...
>
> Hope this helps

Carefull
I stand to be corrected, but it is my understanding that you would need
TWO DWL-2100 in that they only act in bridge mode if wirelessly talking
to another DWL-2100. m But a single DWL-2100 with a DI-624
will not allow multiple MAC addresses.

I share the frustration that T Bob must feel but it seems difficult to
get the answers to the specific questions. When I e-mailed D-Link
support, they tended to change my questions to ones which they did have
an answer for, but ignored the grist of the question.

I do recommend http://www.dslreports.com/forum/ for a forumn dedicated
to D-link products.

Cheers
Ed

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:31:53 GMT, Ed <fox@ca.inter.net> wrote:

>I stand to be corrected, but it is my understanding that you would need
>TWO DWL-2100 in that they only act in bridge mode if wirelessly talking
>to another DWL-2100. m But a single DWL-2100 with a DI-624
>will not allow multiple MAC addresses.

Let me try to explain what's happening and why.

The DI-624 is strictly a wireless access point conglomerated with a
router in one box. It has no client modes and does not have the
necessary protocols to play transparent bridge. Two DI-624 boxes
cannot talk to each other.

Think of transparent bridging as a form of Ad-Hoc (peer to peer)
networking. Access points are strictly for infrastructure topology
and do not do Ad-Hoc.

You can build a transparent bridge out of a pair of DWL-2100 wireless
bridges. In order to play bridge, these boxes must have a protocol
that distributes the MAC address to bridge port number table between
the two ends. Most access points, wireless routers, and client radios
lack this protocol. The bridging protocol is generally proprietary
making transparent bridges with mixed hardware problematic. The cheap
transparent bridges can bridge 32 MAC addresses maximum. The better
boxes can do 256 or more. Proxim (Orinico) will do 2048.

The DWL-2100 also has a client mode. This allows it to connect to an
access point (such as a DI-624) and bridge exactly one MAC address.
This isn't as horrible or useless as it sounds because you can place a
router at one end of the link, and use it to deal with multiple
computers. The wireless link would not be transparent (appear as one
big LAN), but with routeing, most of the common protocols and features
can be connected. This is roughly the way many WISP (wireless ISP) do
it. I also posted a similar derrangement in this group yesterday.

>I share the frustration that T Bob must feel but it seems difficult to
>get the answers to the specific questions.

There's not enough profit in these product to pay for an applications
development and customer engineering assistance department. Support
generally is limited to questions involving how to get the hardware
running. Whether the boxes will do what you want is normally the job
of pre-sales support or engineering, which is almost non-existent.
Personally, I would be happier with a more technical data sheet that
itemizes features, peformance, and limitations, instead of the baby
talk and buzzwords found in most data sheets.

>When I e-mailed D-Link
>support, they tended to change my questions to ones which they did have
>an answer for, but ignored the grist of the question.

Sure. They have a menu of boiler plate answers and a key word search.
You could do as well using Google.

>I do recommend http://www.dslreports.com/forum/ for a forumn dedicated
>to D-link products.

Agreed.