Wirelessly connecting 2 D-Link 624+ routers

Hi,

I bought 2 D-links 624+ routers. I have two networks in 2 different
rooms. All devices in one room are wired to the router in that room.
What I'd like to do is to connect both networks wirelessly.
Turning one of both routers into an access point should do the trick.
But I don't know how...I've looked at all available options in the web
admin of the router, but found nothing.
Isn't possible to say one router receives DHCP settings (ip, gateway,
dns...) from the other one (in wireless mode of course)

Any idea how I can achieve that ?

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about wirelessly connecting link routers

    Tahiti Bob wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I bought 2 D-links 624+ routers. I have two networks in 2 different
    > rooms. All devices in one room are wired to the router in that room.
    > What I'd like to do is to connect both networks wirelessly.
    > Turning one of both routers into an access point should do the trick.
    > But I don't know how...I've looked at all available options in the web
    > admin of the router, but found nothing.
    > Isn't possible to say one router receives DHCP settings (ip, gateway,
    > dns...) from the other one (in wireless mode of course)
    >
    > Any idea how I can achieve that ?
    >
    > Thanks

    Sorry they're "624" models, not "624+"

    NO CAN DO
    That was my hope when I bought 2 DI-624s.
    Eventually found that it is not in the manual because it can't be done.
    Thats the short answer, it took me a couple of weeks to find out.

    Only way is if the 2 DI-624 are wired together and 1 configured as a
    switch. See my longer version at
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9619057?hilite=DI-624%20bridge
    or do a search there on DI-624 bridge

    Good luck
    Ed

    Tahiti Bob <matthew.vanbiervliet@tiscali.be> wrote in news:41a32870$0$30708
    $ba620e4c@news.skynet.be:

    > Tahiti Bob wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I bought 2 D-links 624+ routers. I have two networks in 2 different
    >> rooms. All devices in one room are wired to the router in that room.
    >> What I'd like to do is to connect both networks wirelessly.
    >> Turning one of both routers into an access point should do the trick.
    >> But I don't know how...I've looked at all available options in the web
    >> admin of the router, but found nothing.
    >> Isn't possible to say one router receives DHCP settings (ip, gateway,
    >> dns...) from the other one (in wireless mode of course)
    >>
    >> Any idea how I can achieve that ?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >
    > Sorry they're "624" models, not "624+"

    You can do it like the Linksys wireless router. It should be very close or
    the same for the D-Link. You make the device IP of the second router (now a
    wire/wireless switch) be one of the static IP(s) on the DHCP and gateway
    router and use the same Subnet mask, the computers can share resources with
    each other between the two devices.

    http://tinyurl.com/5sjf3

    Duane :)

    On 23 Nov 2004, you wrote in alt.internet.wireless:

    > Tahiti Bob wrote:

    >> I bought 2 D-links 624+ routers. I have two networks in 2
    >> different rooms. All devices in one room are wired to the router
    >> in that room. What I'd like to do is to connect both networks
    >> wirelessly. Turning one of both routers into an access point
    >> should do the trick. But I don't know how...I've looked at all

    > Sorry they're "624" models, not "624+"

    The problem is that they are *both* access points. To connect
    wirelessly, you need one to be a client device. I suggest that what
    you need is an access point with a 'wireless client bridge' mode, or
    one of the devices sold as a 'gaming bridge', in each case connected
    to a switch. Connect your wired devices to the switch, and away you
    go. The key thing is to use a wireless device which will support
    communication to multiple MAC addresses.

    Some of the multi-mode access point products will do the job: the
    current D-Link product is the DWL-2100 but I've not personally tried
    it so can't guarantee that it works. Try the DWL-G810 or DWL-G820 -
    either of these should work. A suitable switch is the DSS-8+ or DES-
    1008D or similar.

    If you've just bought your kit, you may well be able to exchange one
    of the DI-624s for something else...

    Hope this helps

    --

    Richard Perkin
    To email me, change the AT in the address below

    is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
    It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.

    Richard Perkin wrote:
    >>Tahiti Bob wrote: that he bought 2 D-links 624+ routers.
    >

    > The problem is that they are *both* access points. To connect
    > wirelessly, you need one to be a client device. I suggest that what
    > you need is an access point with a 'wireless client bridge' mode, or
    > one of the devices sold as a 'gaming bridge', in each case connected
    > to a switch. Connect your wired devices to the switch, and away you
    > go. The key thing is to use a wireless device which will support
    > communication to multiple MAC addresses.
    >
    > Some of the multi-mode access point products will do the job: the
    > current D-Link product is the DWL-2100 but I've not personally tried
    > it so can't guarantee that it works. Try the DWL-G810 or DWL-G820 -
    > either of these should work. A suitable switch is the DSS-8+ or DES-
    > 1008D or similar.
    >
    > If you've just bought your kit, you may well be able to exchange one
    > of the DI-624s for something else...
    >
    > Hope this helps

    Carefull
    I stand to be corrected, but it is my understanding that you would need
    TWO DWL-2100 in that they only act in bridge mode if wirelessly talking
    to another DWL-2100. m But a single DWL-2100 with a DI-624
    will not allow multiple MAC addresses.

    I share the frustration that T Bob must feel but it seems difficult to
    get the answers to the specific questions. When I e-mailed D-Link
    support, they tended to change my questions to ones which they did have
    an answer for, but ignored the grist of the question.

    I do recommend http://www.dslreports.com/forum/ for a forumn dedicated
    to D-link products.

    Cheers
    Ed

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:31:53 GMT, Ed <fox@ca.inter.net> wrote:

    >I stand to be corrected, but it is my understanding that you would need
    >TWO DWL-2100 in that they only act in bridge mode if wirelessly talking
    >to another DWL-2100. m But a single DWL-2100 with a DI-624
    >will not allow multiple MAC addresses.

    Let me try to explain what's happening and why.

    The DI-624 is strictly a wireless access point conglomerated with a
    router in one box. It has no client modes and does not have the
    necessary protocols to play transparent bridge. Two DI-624 boxes
    cannot talk to each other.

    Think of transparent bridging as a form of Ad-Hoc (peer to peer)
    networking. Access points are strictly for infrastructure topology
    and do not do Ad-Hoc.

    You can build a transparent bridge out of a pair of DWL-2100 wireless
    bridges. In order to play bridge, these boxes must have a protocol
    that distributes the MAC address to bridge port number table between
    the two ends. Most access points, wireless routers, and client radios
    lack this protocol. The bridging protocol is generally proprietary
    making transparent bridges with mixed hardware problematic. The cheap
    transparent bridges can bridge 32 MAC addresses maximum. The better
    boxes can do 256 or more. Proxim (Orinico) will do 2048.

    The DWL-2100 also has a client mode. This allows it to connect to an
    access point (such as a DI-624) and bridge exactly one MAC address.
    This isn't as horrible or useless as it sounds because you can place a
    router at one end of the link, and use it to deal with multiple
    computers. The wireless link would not be transparent (appear as one
    big LAN), but with routeing, most of the common protocols and features
    can be connected. This is roughly the way many WISP (wireless ISP) do
    it. I also posted a similar derrangement in this group yesterday.

    >I share the frustration that T Bob must feel but it seems difficult to
    >get the answers to the specific questions.

    There's not enough profit in these product to pay for an applications
    development and customer engineering assistance department. Support
    generally is limited to questions involving how to get the hardware
    running. Whether the boxes will do what you want is normally the job
    of pre-sales support or engineering, which is almost non-existent.
    Personally, I would be happier with a more technical data sheet that
    itemizes features, peformance, and limitations, instead of the baby
    talk and buzzwords found in most data sheets.

    >When I e-mailed D-Link
    >support, they tended to change my questions to ones which they did have
    >an answer for, but ignored the grist of the question.

    Sure. They have a menu of boiler plate answers and a key word search.
    You could do as well using Google.

    >I do recommend http://www.dslreports.com/forum/ for a forumn dedicated
    >to D-link products.

    Agreed.

    # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

Wireless Routers D-Link Wireless Networking