MB for 1.2 Thunderbird?

G

I'm going to be buying a 1.2 thunderbird 266FSB and I've pretty much decided on the ABit KT7A-RAID Motherboard. I'd like to hear a few comments (positive or negative) if you've used this MB so I know what to expect.
Or, If you recommend a different MB, please let me know which one and why.
Also, I'm planning on using the ABit KT7A-RAID with an Alpha PEP66T HSF. Does anybody else use this combination and if so, how has it worked for you?

Thanks very much for any help you can provide!

G

Wow, complaining 2.5 hours after your original post, have some patience. I'm guessing a lot of people are at work about now and can't read the board every five minutes. I can't help you having never used those MBs, but I've seen plenty of posts discussing your options. Try the search function.

G

What do you mean "at work"? Don't people sit on these boards all day?? :)

There are a ton of posts about this very issue. From what I have read, the deciding factor is whether you need DDR memory or not.

G

I own this motherboard with the same processor and I have nothing but good things to say about the combination.

John Garrett
System Admin - www.elementk.com
Editor - Exploring Windows NT Professional

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
Unless you are thinking about a DDR board, the IWill KK266 has received real good reviews here and throughout the net! For the latest review, see my post "If you're looking to buy a KT133A motherboard..."

G

I suppose I was a little quick with that one.
I would be patient but it takes too long.

jerry557

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
I run a 1.2 Thunderbird on a ASUS A7V KT133A Motherboard. I had no problem with it at all. In fact I was surprised as to how easy it was to install; plug it in, configure and turn it on.

I think the big decision you have to make in picking a motherboard is if you want DDR Ram yet or not. If it is not that important to you right now; go with a motherboard that supports a lot of SDRAM. (ie: The A7V supports 1.5 GB of SDRAM). If you want DDR; go with the A7M266 by ASUS or the Abit KT7A-RAID. Also the ATA100 Controller is another factor you might consider in choosing a board.

G

Humm Jerry,
You have an Asus A7V with a KT133A chipset, Way cool dood, Not Likely but keep'em guessin I always say!! KT133 perhaps? :)

Life is short but I'm shorter!!
Damned Wrongway