Onboard RAID vs Fastrak 100 etc.

G

Hey I just got a MSI K7T Turbo-R and it's SWEET! first onboard RAID I've ever had (sadly there is no option for ATA100 only on the Promise controller so you better get 2 drives or you're ATA100 screwed until Win2000 SP2).

But one thing I wonder about (having bought this feature on faith as no one ever seems to bother including RAID benchmarks in their reviews, *HINT*) is if anyone here ever benchmarked this sort of Promise on-board RAID against a true RAID card like Fastrak 100?

Thanks, Jim

<font color=blue>Entschuldigen sie, ist das der Sonderzug nach Pankow?
</font color=blue> :cool:

TheSandman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey I have the turbo-r also and you can use one drive on the raid controler just have it do the quick setup in the raid bios and it works. also the raid controler should performe the same the only difference it the one that we have does not support 0+1 raid.

SANDMAN

G

ya I noticed that and considered using it but was concerned about using false RAID... also I seemed to get better performance through the standard IDE channel.

Have you benchmarked the RAID 0 yet across 2 HDD's?

<font color=blue>Entschuldigen sie, ist das der Sonderzug nach Pankow?

TheSandman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have yet to have any problems and the performance for me is to little to be concerned with. I have not tested with 2 yet. realy sucks cuz one of my hard drives died right before i recieved this board the reason I got the raid version is so I could run raid 0 but now only got one HD.

SANDMAN

G

ya I'm waiting for #2 HDD as well.

what I'm trying to determine is how well this "Promise Lite" stacks up against a full-blown PCI Promise Fastrak100; attempting to assess the value of this feature.

if it ends up delivering say 50% of the bandwidth then its not really much benefit, better to just spend the $80 on the regular card?

<font color=blue>Entschuldigen sie, ist das der Sonderzug nach CeBIT?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts