Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

What PC game for a video game virgin?

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
March 24, 2011 5:37:49 AM

I'm fairly new to this forum, but I'm an absolute virgin newbie when it comes to computer games.

I've played virtually NOTHING.

Anyway, I bought a new computer (with the i7-2600 and 8 Gigs of Ram, and I intend to upgrade the video card - from a HD-5450 to a 5770 - when HP gets around to replacing my computer with a new one with a defect-free motherboard).

Anyway, while I've never been into computer games, I thought I'd like to get a game. And I mean A game, not 10 games (could change my mind later, but for now I'm just thinking of my time and willingness to get heavily into computer gaming).

I know there are role playing games, action games, strategy games, and that there are games you play yourself against the computer and games you play online.

Other than that I wouldn't be interested in the online gaming, I really have no idea what I'd want.

I also really don't want to have to buy extra stuff like game consoles. Just the game and the computer.

I'd also kind of like to get something that takes advantage of my new computers "young hotness." I'd want something that would look pretty good on the pretty good machine I've got (btw, my monitor is a ViewSonic LED w/ 1920 X 1080 resolution).

I've looked and seen that "Dragon Age: Origins" and "World of Warcraft" are pretty good games.

One other thing I've thought about is that I would like to be able to play for a few minutes, or for a longer period. I wouldn't want a game that if I wasn't prepared to play for at least 2 hours at once I might as well not bother.

I know I'm asking a hard question to answer. But how do you pick a game when you know nothing about games? And how do you pick a game when you really don't even know what genre of game you want?

More about : game video game virgin

March 24, 2011 6:45:47 AM

For your rig and requirements, I would recommend you get your hands on the Half Life 2 series. It's a gaming series which starts from Half Life 2, then goes onto the sequels Half Life 2 Episode 1 and episode 2. It's an epic and legendary game for any gamer...first person shooter and will keep you going for days, though not at a go if you want!

In order to get the above, you should buy what is popularly known as 'The Orange Box', which includes the above titles along with Portal and Team Fortress 2 (online play). Its a brilliant bargain as a single box gives you the opportunity to try Single Player games as well as Online games, IF you wanna try it! The graphics are great and will run very well even on your existing rig.

Once you're done with this one, the next suggestion will be Crysis and Crysis Warhead, another epic/ legendary FPS game....again, a must for all gamers. Though your present rig would not be able to run Crysis on max settings, it'll be good nonetheless!

Enjoy your first '(P)lay', if you don't mind the pun! :) 
m
0
l
March 24, 2011 6:58:14 AM

play some demos of various genres.
http://www.fileplanet.com/demos/ (a good site for demos)
when you have a genre that interests you, come back and ask for the best games in that genre ;) 
m
0
l
Related resources
March 24, 2011 11:36:04 AM

namelessonez said:
For your rig and requirements, I would recommend you get your hands on the Half Life 2 series. It's a gaming series which starts from Half Life 2, then goes onto the sequels Half Life 2 Episode 1 and episode 2. It's an epic and legendary game for any gamer...first person shooter and will keep you going for days, though not at a go if you want!

In order to get the above, you should buy what is popularly known as 'The Orange Box', which includes the above titles along with Portal and Team Fortress 2 (online play). Its a brilliant bargain as a single box gives you the opportunity to try Single Player games as well as Online games, IF you wanna try it! The graphics are great and will run very well even on your existing rig.

Once you're done with this one, the next suggestion will be Crysis and Crysis Warhead, another epic/ legendary FPS game....again, a must for all gamers. Though your present rig would not be able to run Crysis on max settings, it'll be good nonetheless!

Enjoy your first '(P)lay', if you don't mind the pun! :) 


Great minds think alike, LoL! You took the words right out of my mouth.
m
0
l
March 24, 2011 2:26:44 PM

Starcraft 2.
m
0
l
March 24, 2011 2:56:05 PM

This will possess some old games but I suggest you play them anyway. Starcraft 2, The Witcher, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II(favorite game ever), Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, COD, Bad Company 2 and who can forget the Half Life Series. It really depends on what type of games you are into as well. Helps if you can narrow it down.
m
0
l
March 25, 2011 2:54:28 AM

Thanks for the responses. VERY helpful.

It would seem like my best bet would be to do the demo thing and then make sure to try all the games that you guys suggested (Half Life 2, Starcraft 2, and the ones suggested by thegamersblog).

Trying them is a very good idea.

I put your comments in a notepad file to make sure I have the game names right.

That leaves only one question:

I saw two "demo" sites:

One for "STEAM" and one for http://www.fileplanet.com/demos/ .

Do you need "STEAM" to download from fileplanet? Or is one better or even different than the other?
m
0
l
March 25, 2011 5:18:25 AM

;) 

As far as possible, I'd recommend Steam. It's the most convenient way to maintain your games library. What you need to know is that Steam is a client which stores all your games (which you've purchased through Steam) on your hard drive and when you happen to uninstall/ format/ change your rig, etc, you can always download the games again. You don't get a physical copy of the game, the Steam servers save your purchase and allow you to re-download the game, no matter how many times. It is crucial that you save your Steam username and password and don't lose it, or give it to anyone else (unless really really trusted!)

Another thing with Steam, it gives you the option of always keeping your games up to date. While you can opt to update your games manually, the always up-to-date option is a good feature and recommended. I guess with file planet you download the game and do the rest yourself.

And then, there's always the brilliant sales that Steam comes up with every now and then. 'Definitely' worth it!! I got loads of games at brilliant prices on Steam sales!

In view of the above, my suggestion is that as far as demo's go, get as many as you can from Steam and the rest from file planet/ other sites. There's really no difference as such in the sites, just that I'd go with one platform for all my games/ demo's.....keeps it a bit organized. The play quality will be the same.

As far as games go, Steam is the way to go! Don't worry, it's totally safe. :) 

EDIT: As far as Valve titles go (Half-Life, Team Fortress, Portal, etc) you will require Steam to run nonetheless, even if you download the demo's from fileplanet, etc. So getting Steam is strongly recommended in any event.
m
0
l
March 25, 2011 1:13:19 PM

namelessonez said:

...you can always download the games again. You don't get a physical copy of the game, the Steam servers save your purchase and allow you to re-download the game, no matter how many times.


Be very careful. This is not necessarily true. Some games released through Steam have DRM protection which gives you a limited number of installs. You may be *technically* correct if you factor in a grueling procedure with Steam customer support (some people have been able to get their games downloaded past the limit). Games that come with this limitation are easy to spot if you goto the game forum pages. Someone will nearly always bring this up.

Please don't misunderstand me. I love Steam and have nearly stopped buying physical copies of games from the store in favor of the more convenient digital format.
m
0
l
March 25, 2011 3:11:01 PM

Usually the games that have these restrictions are EA titles. Most other games do not hav ethis issue. Most games also have it listed if you have a limited number of reinstalls.
m
0
l
March 25, 2011 3:13:43 PM

thegamersblog said:
Usually the games that have these restrictions are EA titles. Most other games do not hav ethis issue. Most games also have it listed if you have a limited number of reinstalls.


Don't forget Ubisoft. They still try to pump out DRM-protected titles. In some cases, enough pressure by the fanbase will cause them to remove this protection later on down the line. It helps to speak up in forums and to vote with your wallet.
m
0
l
March 25, 2011 5:03:19 PM

Minesweeper or windows pinball if your in to the 3d stuff
m
0
l
March 25, 2011 5:51:34 PM

Thank you for the addition i completely forgot about them.

mr_flappypants said:
Don't forget Ubisoft. They still try to pump out DRM-protected titles. In some cases, enough pressure by the fanbase will cause them to remove this protection later on down the line. It helps to speak up in forums and to vote with your wallet.

m
0
l
March 25, 2011 6:43:54 PM

I definitely do not recommend world of warcraft unless you are sure you won't mind being casual and not progressing much in the game... because you will have to play atleast a minimum of 2 hours per day and probably a lot more to get very far in that game.

If you go to gametap.com or gamegameweb *edit the site is webgamegame.com (not gamegameweb) you can buy a subscription for 10 or 15 dollars a month respectively and get unlimited access to over 1000 downloadable pc games. Also steam sometimes sells online downloads for less than game but if you want the physical CD stay away from these. I personally like these because I usually and finished with a game in 1 to 7 days and move on to the next one depending on the game.

I personally played a lot of world of warcraft but find that it is too time consuming... in classic I was top rank pvp and did a lot of raiding... but it takes up like 40 plus hours a week or more for me I found to keep up with high end content... I have cataclysm and leveled to 85 got a few boe epics and left it at that it is way too time consuming with epeen headaches to boot... trolls etc online lol.

You might enjoy tombraider underworld, mass effect 2, batman a a, crysis, crysis 2, depends if you like shooter and action games or role playing games better most of ones I have mentioned are shooter action games... some have both single player and multiplayer options.
m
0
l
March 26, 2011 7:28:31 AM

namelessonez said:
;)

As far as possible, I'd recommend Steam.


Well, it sounds like I should a) try some demos and b) download and purchase via Steam.

I am quite amazed and appreciative at how helpful all y'all are.

I was in Wal Mart doing my grocery shopping and stopped first in the video game area. After chatting with an electronics guy for a couple of minutes, he led me to a console for "Call of Duty." It was playstation (I think), but he said it was pretty much the same game on a pc. He played it a little bit and shot a few bad guys.

Then he stepped aside and let me try it out.

Within about thirty seconds I had been killed (with my blood splattered all over the screen), and I had literally fragged myself by inadvertantly dropping a grenade.

"Call of Goofy" was probably more like it.

Still, I could grasp that it would probably be fun to play. Assuming I didn't die every 15 seconds.

I appreciate the head's up about World of Warcraft, knk2009. I kind of see myself taking little "play breaks" for a few minutes at a time, rather than taking long periods of time to play all at once. I'd like a game that allowed me to move along at my pace.

That's the only thing that would keep me away from a good role-playing or strategy game. If I could play, save my progress, and then come back from that point later, that would be okay, though. Maybe I'd live for than a few seconds at a time!

Btw, I downloaded the demo of starcraft 2 from this link: http://www.bigdownload.com/games/starcraft-ii-wings-of-...

It was a mere 1.5GB. It took about 20 minutes (I'm using my old wireless G router until it either dies or I really need to replace it).

I haven't installed the zip folder yet.

Thanks again for the help. I've learned a lot already.
m
0
l
March 27, 2011 2:11:22 PM

Save yourself the trouble and get Grand Theft Auto 4. It's every single game in one and the replayability is out of control. Racing, shooter, adventure game, an excellent rpg, etc... It looks gorgeous on the PC that can run it.
m
0
l
March 27, 2011 2:34:40 PM

Ten1220 said:
Save yourself the trouble and get Grand Theft Auto 4. It's every single game in one and the replayability is out of control. Racing, shooter, adventure game, an excellent rpg, etc... It looks gorgeous on the PC that can run it.


GTA 4 is terrible for PC. It was a poorly ported console game. Not sure about post-mods by users. I tried it a few times and could not STAND it. I just stick with San Andreas. Besides, GTA4 gets really repetitive fast.
m
0
l
March 27, 2011 2:45:17 PM

mr_flappypants said:
GTA 4 is terrible for PC. It was a poorly ported console game. Not sure about post-mods by users. I tried it a few times and could not STAND it. I just stick with San Andreas. Besides, GTA4 gets really repetitive fast.


I did not know that. See, you learn something new every day!
m
0
l
March 27, 2011 4:39:46 PM

Far Cry 1
Mafia 1
Max Payne 1 & 2
m
0
l
March 27, 2011 10:48:35 PM

I recently played the game Braid (which I bought off Steam during a ridiculous sale). It is a really good puzzle platformer type game that I think would be a decent introduction to basic game mechanics. It is an independently developed game so it is inexpensive even when its not on sale and it is level based with each level taking maybe 10 or so minutes from first unless you have trouble figuring out how to solve the level (which did happen to me a few times towards the end). It is a 'pretty' game but it would not tax your hardware to its limits.
m
0
l
March 28, 2011 2:44:27 AM

I am beginning to get the sense that the "one video game" limitation thing probably won't happen.

I wouldn't want to have too many, but there are too many pieces of hay to find the needle, which is to say there are too many games and even too many genres to find the one you'd most enjoy in one attempt.

I am understanding that a game that is great on playstation or whatever doesn't necessarily mean it will transfer to a PC.
m
0
l
March 28, 2011 2:49:28 AM

michaeldf said:
I am beginning to get the sense that the "one video game" limitation thing probably won't happen.

I wouldn't want to have too many, but there are too many pieces of hay to find the needle, which is to say there are too many games and even too many genres to find the one you'd most enjoy in one attempt.

I am understanding that a game that is great on playstation or whatever doesn't necessarily mean it will transfer to a PC.



Listen, the limit that will happen is the limit you decide on. Since you are new to games, it will be a challenge (should be a fun one) to try out the numerous game genres that exist. Trying a new game is always hit or miss. This is where demos come into play. Also, as I've kind have hinted before, check the online forums (either through Steam or at the game company's website) to see what others are saying. Look for that thread that says something like "Is it worth it?", "Terrible...", or what-have-you. You will nearly always get mixed opinions about a game. Still need more information? Check out Amazon for a boiled down '5-star rating'.

The console-to-PC porting thing is very true indeed but again, this is information you can find out with a little bit of hot Google magic (really easy to do). Research intelligently. Check out various websites for ratings. Check comments and forums to see what others are saying. If there is a demo available, check that out FIRST. I nearly guarantee it that you will find plenty of games in a variety of genres that will tickle your fancy.
m
0
l
March 28, 2011 6:12:03 AM

michaeldf said:
Well, it sounds like I should a) try some demos and b) download and purchase via Steam.

I am quite amazed and appreciative at how helpful all y'all are.

I was in Wal Mart doing my grocery shopping and stopped first in the video game area. After chatting with an electronics guy for a couple of minutes, he led me to a console for "Call of Duty." It was playstation (I think), but he said it was pretty much the same game on a pc. He played it a little bit and shot a few bad guys.

Then he stepped aside and let me try it out.

Within about thirty seconds I had been killed (with my blood splattered all over the screen), and I had literally fragged myself by inadvertantly dropping a grenade.

"Call of Goofy" was probably more like it.

Still, I could grasp that it would probably be fun to play. Assuming I didn't die every 15 seconds.

I appreciate the head's up about World of Warcraft, knk2009. I kind of see myself taking little "play breaks" for a few minutes at a time, rather than taking long periods of time to play all at once. I'd like a game that allowed me to move along at my pace.


Buddy, when you learn to ride a bike, you fall lotsa times! But you don't stop until you've learnt cause practice makes perfect! :)  I remember my yesteryears when I first started gaming on the pc. It sure took some time to get used to it, but now I can't imagine there used to be a time when I DIDN'T play! Once you get the hang of it, you won't be worrying about getting yourself fragged/ shot/ splattered, etc! Also remember that the "guy" at Wal Mart probably plays the game 30 times a day to show customers, which is why he wasn't 'dying'! Plus, he showed you the game on a console....different feel altogether! If he can show it to you on a PC, that's a different thing....but hey, that's not gonna happen at Wal Mart now, is it! Hence, playing at Wal Mart for a few minutes and playing at home for a couple of hours is totally different! I'm sure you'll like the same game at home after you've been 'at it' for a while.....on the PC that is! First Person Shooters are definitely meant to be played on the PC only.....imho that is!! The accuracy you get with the mouse is far better than what you get with a gamepad/ console.

The Call of Duty series is plain awesome on the PC! Try Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1 and 2...they have the best graphics of the series. I would've suggested Call of Duty Black Ops too, but its been a real let down for me compared to the other COD titles. Plus, it was meant for the consoles.

As for the limitation, You're quite right that the limitation would not be of much help to you, considering the ocean of titlesd out there! :)  Hence, for starters, get the tried, tested and affordable Orange Box first! Later, you can try other demanding titles like Crysis, Metro 2033, Aliens v. Predators, BattleField: Bad Company 2, etc.

"Every problem has a solution....and that solution starts with taking the first step"
m
0
l
March 29, 2011 5:59:42 AM

namelessonez said:
Buddy, when you learn to ride a bike, you fall lotsa times! But you don't stop until you've learnt cause practice makes perfect! :) 


Interesting story about that: I NEVER fell learning to ride my bike. My dad had put training wheels on it, and he saw me leaning on the training wheels and figured I wasn't ready yet.

But I actually WAS ready. I was leaning on the training wheels for something to do.

Finally I convinced him to take them off, and when he did I just took off.

Is there a way to have my dad put training wheels on some of these video games???

Other than that one, I actually have one more question:

There are a lot of games out there, and some are a couple of years old. Will these games work on a Windows 7 64 bit system?
m
0
l
March 29, 2011 6:15:31 AM

Oops. It turns out I've got one more question besides the above one about the Windows 7 64-bit thing.

I went to a Steam download site and ran into these complaints:

i've got steam for 3 months now. in the beginning it seemed very cool: downloading the latest updates and paches, free demo downloads and news from game-world every day. But that changed when i bought my first steam-game: Left 4 Dead 2 from Valve. The game itself is very cool, has beautiful graphics and the gameplay rocks. But after playing it for a week, steam came up with an update... i could not believe my eyes: it had to download 2GB! with my download rate of a miserable 31KB/sec. it would take hours to download it.When i did so everything worked, but next week it had to do it again: a download of another 1 GB. Now it has to do a download of 3 GB and it drives me crazy. Its one of my favourite games and i can never play it because of steam...

Another one said:

I really do hate Steam because even Single Players of games have to go through steam. Or it'll keep on downloading random stuff or even completely deny an official key.

Best:
Free download and no cd crack when added the game to Steam

Worst:
Connection required almost always
Constant updates and downloads
Very annoying interface and super slow downloading (at around 25% of my usual speed)
Crashes a lot... A LOT!

I get the sense that you guys aren't having this experience with Steam. And it took me about 20 minutes to download 1.5GB, so my connection is clearly faster than the top guy's.

But I wouldn't want continuous massive updates interfering with my life.

What do you think???
.
m
0
l
March 29, 2011 11:44:40 AM

Steam operates virtually all the time on an internet connection. You can go into "OFFLINE" mode for singleplayer games (when you load Steam with no connection, you should get a dialogue box asking if you want to go into offline mode). The updates and downloads are very convenient as they typically take place in the 'background'. You may hardly ever know its happening at times. The interface, in my opinion, has been made very well. Perhaps it just takes a little bit of time getting used to.

I'm not sure why your Steam is crashing a lot. I run Windows 7 64-bit Professional Edition and currently Steam has been running on my computer for a few DAYS, all without a hiccup.

You say you have a very slow download rate... What you need to do is go into Steam and click on VIEW--->SETTINGS--->DOWNLOAD & CLOUD. Here I want you to change your "Download Region" to something either 'more local' or 'the next best local'. I'm in the southeast where Atlanta was closest to me. I had download speeds probably in the 300kb/s range. I switched to the DC area and now I get 1+ MBps. You may have to restart Steam when you make a change here. Let me know how that goes for you.
m
0
l
March 29, 2011 1:59:36 PM

^+1

Steam is a darn convenient platform once you get the hang of it! The reason I find the automatic downloading convenient is because it keeps everything up-to-date. It really kicks the hell out of manually searching for updates/ patches, etc. Oh, and the deals/ sales you get on Steam are just ridiculous at times...and I mean GOOD ridiculous! You can get titles on upto 75% off! Especially over the holiday periods! (My pocket still hurts!!)

As for the slow download, flappy here has penned it down quite well! Another suggestion would be that you manually set your download speed under downloads in Steam itself. Set it according to what your data plan is. Also, select an appropriate server. I live in India and when I selected India, it was kinda slow. Then I tries Singapore and WHAM! Speeds of more than 500kbps! So yeah, try experimenting a bit with different areas. Make sure you restart Steam whenever you change your download settings.

Also, make sure you delete your temporary files and cookies before anything else....its one of the reasons your speed can be slowed down.
m
0
l
March 29, 2011 4:22:03 PM

My Steam client downloads updates usually between 700 Kbps - 1.5 Mbps and I have never had to fiddle with any of the download options. If I have another program downloading then it is significantly slower (usually a torrent downloading in the background will take it down to 100-200 Kbps). I've also never noticed my games getting such huge updates as frequently as mentioned above, but that could be because they are updating late at night or while I'm at work. Also, offline mode works just fine with all but a few games. Some games will save your progress in the Steam Cloud allowing you to load your saved games from several computers, which is convenient but requires you to be careful if you ever play it in offline mode as there is a chance you may accidentally overwrite your save files in the cloud the next time you get on that game. I have also discovered that many games can be run without even loading up the Steam interface by simply finding the .exe in the /steamapps folder. This is especially true of older games or titles rereleased from an early OS. Also, I've never had Steam crash in over a year of using it.
m
0
l
March 31, 2011 3:12:35 AM

mr_flappypants said:

I'm not sure why your Steam is crashing a lot. I run Windows 7 64-bit Professional Edition and currently Steam has been running on my computer for a few DAYS, all without a hiccup.

You say you have a very slow download rate... .


Flappy Pants,

Actually, I need to be clear. I was merely copying and pasting a couple of different people's responses about Steam. I just wanted to hear what you guys had to say about these complaints.

I haven't downloaded Steam yet, and therefore have NO issues with it.

But you and the following two responses DID help me, in terms of providing me counter-info that it's stable.

I don't actually know what my download rate is. Any "slowness" would be due to my router (it's an old "G" series).

But recently I was able to download 1.5 GB in about 20 minutes - which I actually thought was pretty darn fast.
m
0
l
March 31, 2011 3:18:47 AM

I see that now. I suppose I was just all-too-eager to come to the defense of the Steam client. In the old days I would have agreed with most of the "WORST" comments, especially with the constant (and I mean CONSTANT) client updates they had which took forever to download followed by the crashing issues. This is 2011 now and I would not part with the software management model that Steam has to offer.

I'll be a bit more careful next time in my responses.
m
0
l
March 31, 2011 4:55:50 PM

michaeldf said:
I don't actually know what my download rate is. Any "slowness" would be due to my router (it's an old "G" series).

But recently I was able to download 1.5 GB in about 20 minutes - which I actually thought was pretty darn fast.


I am also using an "old" G-standard wireless router and I find download speeds acceptable. Really your download speed gets bottlenecked by the actual service your ISP is providing at any particular point in time. I typically find that my networking speeds rarely exceed 5% of its potential even when downloading, because I don't pay for a faster-than-standard connection or because of server load on the other end of the download. The only time my network is taxed more strenuously is when I do large computer-to-computer file exchanges via my LAN (which I avoid because its still slower than just transferring the files to an external and hooking that up to the other computer).

Edit: Also, if you want to get an idea of the speed of your internet connection you can try the tool located at this site:
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1
I just took it so you could have a result to compare against. Here is what I got:
Download speed: 10,553 Kb/s Upload speed: 469 Kb/s Latency to server: 15 ms

Hope that helps.
m
0
l
March 31, 2011 8:36:52 PM

Wow, with the system that you have it opens it up to almost anything but I would have to say I would start with Starcraft 2. You can’t go wrong with Blizzard games. Afterwards you can take a look at some other games like Call of Duty, Civ 5, World of Warcraft, Dragon Age Origins (start with the first one) and others that are coming out soon like Diablo 3. You shouldn’t have any problem with performance with the system have. That Intel® Core™ I7 2600 will run any game out there without a problem.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
0
l
April 1, 2011 3:28:45 AM

ArcSec said:
I am also using an "old" G-standard wireless router and I find download speeds acceptable. Really your download speed gets bottlenecked by the actual service your ISP is providing at any particular point in time. I typically find that my networking speeds rarely exceed 5% of its potential even when downloading, because I don't pay for a faster-than-standard connection or because of server load on the other end of the download. The only time my network is taxed more strenuously is when I do large computer-to-computer file exchanges via my LAN (which I avoid because its still slower than just transferring the files to an external and hooking that up to the other computer).

Edit: Also, if you want to get an idea of the speed of your internet connection you can try the tool located at this site:
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1
I just took it so you could have a result to compare against. Here is what I got:
Download speed: 10,553 Kb/s Upload speed: 469 Kb/s Latency to server: 15 ms

Hope that helps.


I just took the test at your link: my results were a download speed of 8860kb/s and an upload speed of 951 kb/s. The latency was 28 ms (whatever that means).

Rather strange that I'd download slower but upload faster than you. I saved the results in a screenshot.
m
0
l
April 1, 2011 3:33:07 AM

mr_flappypants said:
I see that now. I suppose I was just all-too-eager to come to the defense of the Steam client. In the old days I would have agreed with most of the "WORST" comments, especially with the constant (and I mean CONSTANT) client updates they had which took forever to download followed by the crashing issues. This is 2011 now and I would not part with the software management model that Steam has to offer.

I'll be a bit more careful next time in my responses.


No problem. Obviously anybody who likes Dilbert is okay (unless you like Dilbert and hate Far Side).

You did provide helpful info. If the experiences of the two people were something I should expect, I wouldn't want to use Steam. But it sounds like that shouldn't happen.

I just got the email I've been waiting for from HP that they are getting to the point of having a "fix" for the chipset/motherboard issue that accompanied the Sandy Bridge processor. So I wouldn't want to download Steam right now only to have to do it all over again.
m
0
l
April 1, 2011 3:38:13 AM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Wow, with the system that you have it opens it up to almost anything but I would have to say I would start with Starcraft 2. You can’t go wrong with Blizzard games. Afterwards you can take a look at some other games like Call of Duty, Civ 5, World of Warcraft, Dragon Age Origins (start with the first one) and others that are coming out soon like Diablo 3. You shouldn’t have any problem with performance with the system have. That Intel® Core™ I7 2600 will run any game out there without a problem.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team


Christian,

I'm told that the processor is only part of the hardware that enables video game performance. My video card is currently an HD 5450. If I can, I am planning to upgrade to an HD 5770.

I may have bought "too much" computer. But I was looking for at least 6 GB of RAM and and 1 TB of ROM. Those systems were running at and over $500. And the one I bought with the i7-2600, 8 GB of RAM and 1.5 TB of ROM was $850. And I just figured what I was getting extra was worth that $350.

Now, like young hotness always wants to do, I want to "play" and see what this machine can do in a way I can see.
m
0
l
April 1, 2011 6:33:38 PM

its already been covered but...unless you have a high speed connection and want to link your games FOR LIFE (yes, forever!) then you might want to rethink steam. keep in mind if your steam ever gets hacked (or if you forget your information) you are virtually screwed. also, steam wants you to be online for you to play (even in an offline game). oh and also.. if you buy a physical disk that requires steam... you can only get like 1gb of data and you have to download the other 2gb (or more)! completely unacceptable.

I understand that you have a brand new system and you want to test it out to its max however, do keep in mind that some of the newest and prettiest games are not the most playable and epic of all time. some older games (although the graphics aren't quite as pretty) easily beat many new games hands down.

if you like role playing games, magic, creatures & fantasy: Guild Wars
if you like shooting games with very fast paced action: Unreal Tournament 2004 (UT3 has better graphics but isnt the same)
if you like shooting games in a realistic setting: the games they already mentioned
if you like strategy games: Supreme Commander 1. (I cannot recommend Starcraft2 since its not what it should have been)

as others said: watch trailers or play demos.
m
0
l
April 2, 2011 5:24:21 AM

ssddx,

Thanks for that advice.

I'll be interested to see how the "Go Steam" guys respond.

In a way, with my wireless connection, I'm "ALWAYS" online, even when I don't have my browser on.

I'm not particularly interested in playing other gamers - especially the ones that would take my lunch and then laugh at me. That could change (it's always more fun to take someone else's lunch and laugh at them), but playing the computer is pretty much all I intend to do.

I agree with you that sometimes the oldies really are the goodies (though I'm guessing no one would say, "You want to know a really cool game? Try Pong!").

Btw, I haven't downloaded Steam yet, as I'm waiting to get the new machine that HP will be replacing my present system with. And I hadn't even HEARD of Steam until this forum/post. So I've got no issues for or against Steam.

I just want to know what I'm getting into before I get into it.
m
0
l
April 2, 2011 1:49:21 PM

Funny. Yesterday I came home from work and jumped on my computer only to find out I had no internet. I called the local cable company and an automated message essentially said that the guys working on the road had sliced their cable. Well I booted up Steam into offline mode a little cheesed about the current situation since I wanted to fire up some Battlefield 2: Bad Company 2 multiplayer. I ended up playing some space epics and moved around from Star Ruler to Space Empires V to Gratuitous Space Battles then finally blew away some terrorists in Rainbow Six Vegas 2.

About 20 minutes after I had ordered pizza by phone, I saw that my internet was back where I immediately loaded up BF2:BC2 and did some multiplayer until the delivery guy arrived.
m
0
l
April 2, 2011 2:07:44 PM

Warcraft is for junkies. That being said...I'm a junkie.
m
0
l
April 2, 2011 4:32:45 PM

Steam is immensely popular and used by millions of people worldwide.
They sell games from producers at amazing prices and have awesome sales!
http://store.steampowered.com/
m
0
l
April 6, 2011 12:07:26 AM

mr_flappypants said:
Funny. Yesterday I came home from work and jumped on my computer only to find out I had no internet. I called the local cable company and an automated message essentially said that the guys working on the road had sliced their cable. Well I booted up Steam into offline mode a little cheesed about the current situation since I wanted to fire up some Battlefield 2: Bad Company 2 multiplayer. I ended up playing some space epics and moved around from Star Ruler to Space Empires V to Gratuitous Space Battles then finally blew away some terrorists in Rainbow Six Vegas 2.

About 20 minutes after I had ordered pizza by phone, I saw that my internet was back where I immediately loaded up BF2:BC2 and did some multiplayer until the delivery guy arrived.


I'm wondering if Steam is great for people with sufficient computer and bandwidth/internet access to handle the load, but terrible for people who don't?

From what I've seen and understood, it would seem that I have what I would need to be okay with Steam.
m
0
l
April 6, 2011 11:49:54 AM

I’m playing Rakion: Chaos Force V620. This is one of the popular games now, set in medieval times incredibly designed, which will vie for the various battles that must be done in multiplayer. You can download it here http://spanish.200sharewarelinks.com. Try it…
m
0
l
April 6, 2011 6:49:03 PM

If you arent all for the best in graphics I feel one of the best games I have ever played was and is Diablo 2 with expansions. Or for that matter anything Blizzard you cannot go wrong. Their single player games are great and at the end you feel pretty EPIC. I would play diablo 2 again just for the story cinematics.
m
0
l
April 6, 2011 11:57:52 PM

envymert said:
If you arent all for the best in graphics I feel one of the best games I have ever played was and is Diablo 2 with expansions. Or for that matter anything Blizzard you cannot go wrong. Their single player games are great and at the end you feel pretty EPIC. I would play diablo 2 again just for the story cinematics.


Agreed with Diablo and Diablo 2 but also try the Fate series which have much better graphics and are sort of like a Diablo light.
Dave
m
0
l
April 7, 2011 3:07:17 AM

Angry Birds
m
0
l
April 7, 2011 9:01:35 AM

Next we'll hear "Mario Brothers"!!

So I was wondering, are we still on topic here?? :p 
m
0
l
April 7, 2011 11:40:11 PM

namelessonez said:
Next we'll hear "Mario Brothers"!!

So I was wondering, are we still on topic here?? :p 


I was the one who asked the question, and I certainly think people have been very spot on topic.

I am hearing a LOT of good games. And what I will be doing is taking these games and trying to find out about them to help me decide if it's a game I would want to play.

It sounds like I'll probably end up getting more than just one game. But I STILL want to limit the games I get. That means I'll want the best/most fun games.

The criterion that I'm looking for in a game is:

1) It will be a great game in single player mode.
2) It will be a great game to play for short periods (although here I'm recognizing maybe I'd want one game to play for a few minutes at a time, and one game to play for longer periods).
3) It won't be so advanced that I would find myself hopelessly lost. But it won't be so simple that I'd get bored with it.
4) Another way to put 3) above is that it won't be so hard I can never get to the next level because I'm a feeble newb and it won't be so easy that I won't feel like I accomplished something by getting to the end.

You mentioned "Mario Brothers." The sad thing is that I am old enough to have played it in the arcade back when arcades were prety much the ONLY way to play video games.

I never played Dungeons and Dragons as a kid, but always kind of wanted to (the only reason I didn't was that I played several sports in school and just couldn't). But I read the Lord of the Rings and loved it. I still remember how sad I was the day I finished the four stories (w/ The Hobbit) and "the journey was over."

Now I guess I'm ready to pick up on my unfulfilled childhood or something.
m
0
l
April 8, 2011 6:04:52 AM

michaeldf said:
You mentioned "Mario Brothers." The sad thing is that I am old enough to have played it in the arcade back when arcades were prety much the ONLY way to play video games.


I played Mario Bros way back when I was a kid too! Guess what, I still play it at work whenever I get the chance! One of those games which you can play on the run.

I was just wondering whether this thread was helpful to the OP. True, loads of good opinions flowing in here (which is the true spirit at Tom's) and as long as you're getting useful feeds, its all good. :) 

1) It will be a great game in single player mode.

Half-Life 2. Plus, its got excellent replay value! I must have played it like 10 times at least!

2) It will be a great game to play for short periods (although here I'm recognizing maybe I'd want one game to play for a few minutes at a time, and one game to play for longer periods).

Half-Life 2 - For both short and long periods
Crysis 1 and Crysis Warhead - Gets you hooked on, so I'm betting long periods
Batman Arkham Asylum - For short plays, if required. I found it easier to take breaks in this game as compared to others, but it didn't leave me like desperate to get back on the game unlike Half-Life 2 and the Crysis series.

3) It won't be so advanced that I would find myself hopelessly lost. But it won't be so simple that I'd get bored with it.

Any of the games mentioned above. Half-Life 2 and Batman AA have a bit of puzzle solving and exploring respectively.

4) Another way to put 3) above is that it won't be so hard I can never get to the next level because I'm a feeble newb and it won't be so easy that I won't feel like I accomplished something by getting to the end.

Any of the games mentioned above, maybe except Batman Arkham Asylum. The game involves a bit of exploring around the maps at certain points, so that may take a bit longer. But its easily doable! Otherwise, Half-Life 2 all the way!

Hope this helps...
m
0
l
April 8, 2011 3:19:30 PM

michaeldf said:

The criterion that I'm looking for in a game is:

1) It will be a great game in single player mode.
2) It will be a great game to play for short periods (although here I'm recognizing maybe I'd want one game to play for a few minutes at a time, and one game to play for longer periods).
3) It won't be so advanced that I would find myself hopelessly lost. But it won't be so simple that I'd get bored with it.
4) Another way to put 3) above is that it won't be so hard I can never get to the next level because I'm a feeble newb and it won't be so easy that I won't feel like I accomplished something by getting to the end.

You mentioned "Mario Brothers." The sad thing is that I am old enough to have played it in the arcade back when arcades were prety much the ONLY way to play video games.

I never played Dungeons and Dragons as a kid, but always kind of wanted to (the only reason I didn't was that I played several sports in school and just couldn't). But I read the Lord of the Rings and loved it. I still remember how sad I was the day I finished the four stories (w/ The Hobbit) and "the journey was over."

Now I guess I'm ready to pick up on my unfulfilled childhood or something.



Have you decided what genre and what type of game you want? By genre I mean fantasy, horror, adventure, action, sci-fi, detective story. By type I mean first-person game, third-person game, shooter, role-playing game, sports game, puzzle game, strategy game etc.


If you are interested in Dungeons & Dragons and the quality of graphics is not the main concern for you, probably the best computer fantasy role-playing game for single player mode is Baldur's Gate and especially Baldur's Gate 2. It was released ten years ago and the graphics are starting to show their age but the game is brilliant. There is something magical about Baldur's Gate that modern games don't have anymore.


m
0
l
April 9, 2011 4:16:33 AM

Morton said:
Have you decided what genre and what type of game you want? By genre I mean fantasy, horror, adventure, action, sci-fi, detective story. By type I mean first-person game, third-person game, shooter, role-playing game, sports game, puzzle game, strategy game etc.


If you are interested in Dungeons & Dragons and the quality of graphics is not the main concern for you, probably the best computer fantasy role-playing game for single player mode is Baldur's Gate and especially Baldur's Gate 2. It was released ten years ago and the graphics are starting to show their age but the game is brilliant. There is something magical about Baldur's Gate that modern games don't have anymore.


My problem is I have no experience playing any of these genres, and so don't know what it would really be like.

In movies, I like fantasy, adventure, action and sci-fi most. And, of course, movies often blend all four of these elements into every picture to make it even more confusing.

You then talk about "first person" etc. I would love to know more about what that means (i.e., what does a first person game look like relative to a third person game?). I might get the most obvious: in a 1st person game I think I become one of the characters (or is that role playing?). But I can't quite figure out what that would look like relative to a 3rd person game.

I'd like a game that takes advantage of my computer's "young hotness." But I wouldn't rule out great old games.

My question on such an old game is, would I be able to play such older games with 64-bit Windows 7?

I don't understand why I can't run most of the Microsoft and Adobe programs I had, but would be able to run video games that are even older.
m
0
l
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest