Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Your Favorite Space Game for the PC

Last response: in Video Games
March 24, 2011 11:10:18 PM

I started way back in the 80's with Starflight 1 and 2 on my 8086. In the 90's I got into Master of Orion 1 and 2 then Galactic Civ 1 and 2 in the 00's. Played a Startrek game or 2 but was never impressed. Anyway, Master of Orion 2 is still my favorite but unfortunetly I can't play it on my WIN 7 desktiop but it does play on my XP laptop. Your favorites? Thanks,
Dave
PS the original Starflight was an awesome game considering it ran off of 2 floppy disks.

More about : favorite space game

March 24, 2011 11:13:43 PM

Xwing vs Tie Fighter/Xwing Allinace.... nuff said.

stillerfan15 said:
I started way back in the 80's with Starflight 1 and 2 on my 8086. In the 90's I got into Master of Orion 1 and 2 then Galactic Civ 1 and 2 in the 00's. Played a Startrek game or 2 but was never impressed. Anyway, Master of Orion 2 is still my favorite but unfortunetly I can't play it on my WIN 7 desktiop but it does play on my XP laptop. Your favorites? Thanks,
Dave
PS the original Starflight was an awesome game considering it ran off of 2 floppy disks.

March 25, 2011 1:59:40 AM

Pure Combat = Tie Figther + Defender of the Empire expansion
More Than Just Pure Combat = X3: Reunion + X3: Earth Conflict
Space Strategy = Galactic Civilization II
Related resources
March 25, 2011 3:13:54 PM

I liked the concept of X3 and I think the game looks stunning but i spent over 8 hours to accomplish nearly nothing. I mean the game is so open sandbox is nearly bored me. The whole reason i got X3 was simply because the space battles in it looked stunning but from what I could tell it was going to take me HUNDREDS of hours to get to that point and I have a life and a wife and couldn't accomplish this. Any suggestions? I suppose i could put some cheats in for a crap ton of money but I hate doing that.

OMG how could I have forgotten about homeworld. I really hope they make a 3rd homeworld.
March 25, 2011 4:13:41 PM

thegamersblog said:
I liked the concept of X3 and I think the game looks stunning but i spent over 8 hours to accomplish nearly nothing. I mean the game is so open sandbox is nearly bored me. The whole reason i got X3 was simply because the space battles in it looked stunning but from what I could tell it was going to take me HUNDREDS of hours to get to that point and I have a life and a wife and couldn't accomplish this. Any suggestions? I suppose i could put some cheats in for a crap ton of money but I hate doing that.

OMG how could I have forgotten about homeworld. I really hope they make a 3rd homeworld.

Pft...I spent over 24 hours, 1 complete day in X3 and it still never really caputred my interest greatly. With regards to patience and learning curves I was able to harness EVE for a year with no real issues. I guess the game just doesn't click for me...perhaps I hate the one hit kill missiles or the fact that 80% of missions cannot be realistically completed. (combat storyline). I see and understand the potential, but don't have the thrust to get there.
March 25, 2011 4:56:42 PM

I like Mass Effect 2, will also try some of the ones listed here.
March 26, 2011 3:56:20 AM

on a side question, are there any good recent games like Freelancer?
March 26, 2011 1:33:43 PM

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! How did i forget this... Starfleet Academy... who played this? Anyone? I had the special collectors edition that came with a figurine.
March 26, 2011 10:11:19 PM

Some of my favorites were Freespace 1 and 2 and also Independence War Deluxe and Independence War Edge of Chaos.Note they have these games currently with no DRM at Good Old Games (GOG[dot}com).I have also owned these before on CD's when they first came out.However I preferred Space Flight Simulators to Space games like Microsoft Space Simulator and Orbiter (Freeware).
March 27, 2011 2:07:41 AM

Descent: Freespace, one of my favorite games of all time.
March 27, 2011 2:00:41 PM

If you're looking for an immerse RTS that doesn't exceed in graphics but who's gameplay kicks ass, Sins of a Solar Empire by Stardock is sick. You can honestly get sucked into that game and wind up doing a 6 hour shift like it's nothing.
March 27, 2011 7:28:52 PM

Mass Effect games
Soon a trilogy.
March 28, 2011 3:24:23 AM

Sins is awesome... my only real complaint about it is the fact that it can litterly take all damn day to play a game. I played a large universe and we were only half way though at 8 hours.

Ten1220 said:
If you're looking for an immerse RTS that doesn't exceed in graphics but who's gameplay kicks ass, Sins of a Solar Empire by Stardock is sick. You can honestly get sucked into that game and wind up doing a 6 hour shift like it's nothing.

March 28, 2011 5:44:22 PM

i still drag freelancer out of its box 1s in a while...

i tried x3 and others but it just doesn't have any pickup and play feel to it.
i was a big fan of david braben's frontier (elite 2) on the amiga and have tried various pc versions but they just didn't feel rite either...
on ps2 it was colony wars. i was hoping to find a port of that game but nope... doesnt run very well on psx emulator
any recommendations of similar would be great!!!
March 28, 2011 7:25:02 PM

Here is another one Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri from 1999.I haven't ever played it but I think that PC Gamer magazine rated it as one of their highest rated games at I think a 96% score.Personally I am not really into strategy games myself (I prefer simulations).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri
March 31, 2011 6:46:43 PM

Doom3 and Quake4 were pretty good games.
April 1, 2011 12:25:31 AM

This is not really a space game but is definitely sci-fi and it is my favorite atm now... it is bioshock once I am finished it will try bioshock 2... imo it is awesome fun!
April 1, 2011 11:13:43 AM

Eve online - its a cold harsh universe and stupid people will lose their stuffs :) 
April 1, 2011 2:20:36 PM

Tough call, but the Wing Commander series gets my vote, with TIE Fighter getting an honourable mention.
April 1, 2011 5:49:23 PM

This thread inspired me to get a space sim (also so i could kick the dust off my old thrustmaster joystick), and I got the X2/X3 bundle on steam.

Actually, the game is quite good with the right controller, and I didn't have to even resort to the mods and script addons to make the game enjoyable to me. It's actually quite cool how you can configure your ships to do automatic trading and even turrets on your own ship to automatically shoot enemies with your turrets. It's got a nice balance between scripted missions and economy building.

And, this game looks good, and runs perfectly on my Eyefinity setup. This game was really made to run in eyefinity especially since they mentioned in their patch notes that a version update was to support multi monitor setups.

Once X2 is done, I'll move on to X3 and maybe event he X3:Terran Conflict expansion (and maybe by then it will drop to 10 bucks).

April 1, 2011 6:18:05 PM

The X game series is a spaced based simulation/economy game with a plot that takes place in the X-Universe. I don't know a lot of the back story yet considering I just started, but:

X: Beyond The frontier: A Man from earth travels through a jump gate and gets stranded on other side (the X-Universe side), and builds himself up into a successful business owner.

X2: Son of man from X:BTF follows in his dad's footsteps to locate a way to get back to earth. (Apparantly geting back there is a big deal)

X3 Reunion/ Terran conflict: I don't know, but I think eventually you get back to earth here and the infighting that you found in the X-Universe now spills over to the terran side.

Basically each new game is more story and more ships/trading options, and improves gameplay by adding new tricks to the 'economy simulator'. Such as being able to control ships, automate supply chains, etc. I skipped the first X game because I read it takes a long time to work through each game, and you might be burned out on the gameplay goign into X2/X3. So, I just jumped into X2 and I don't feel like I missed anything. Any special details I can always hit a wiki.

here's a collection of URLs that lead to more tehcnical/gameplay information.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=73689

April 2, 2011 12:00:01 AM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
What is X2 and X3? I've never heard of it.

The X series began with X - Beyond The Frontier way back in 1999 or so. Basically the series revolves around the ability to trade, fight and build. You need money to build and you do take by trading goods, and being a mercenary. You can build up a fleet of ships that you can remotely control as wingmen or as defense for your space factories. Space factories are where the money is at but, you need lots of money to start one up.

The 1st game was a bit quirky, the 2nd game X2 - The Threat was much more refined, but was still quirky. X3 - Reunion and X3 - Terran Conflict are the most recent. If you want eye candy then go with the two X3 games. It's not really necessary to play the series from the beginning especially if you want to see nice graphics.

One word of warning, there is a huge learning curve in the X series so it's not for those crybabies out there who complain that it takes them over 3 or 4 hours to get into a game (and there are a lot of those crybabies). The learning curve in the X series is maybe 24 hours.

Sadly, the primary threat beginning in X2 - The Threat is a race called the Kha'ak. Most people simple pronounce it as "****"; but the "k" is supposed to be silent. I can make several lewd jokes, but...

Here's a combat tutorial someone made from Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FbDX4kRbks

Here's a review of the game with several references to the ****... errr... I mean Kha'ak:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi8n6uN091E

EDIT

Hey, it seems my post has been censored. Not surprised since the word isn't really appropriate for a public forum. You'll just have to watch the review to hear how "Kha'ak" is pronounced.
April 2, 2011 12:57:41 AM

Need to add that Master of Orion 3 was added to the MOO series in the early 2000's but it was really bad and at that point the Galactic Civ series was clearly better. Still MOO 2 the best space game ever IMHO.
Dave
April 2, 2011 10:07:16 PM

MOO 3 was pure utter crap.
April 8, 2011 9:29:12 AM

I just finished playing alpha prime is a great sci-fi shooter game with a great story line that plays out like a movie during the cut scenes and has a great ending imo.

It is a pretty tough game even on easy mode... atleast for me it was... apparently they patched the game at one point to make the enemies a little weaker... personally I had to use a cheat to get through all the game content... I used a cheat that gave me immortality and another that gave me all weapons... only thing to my credit is I did not use cheats to skip levels nor for extra ammo :p  haha... was only way I was going to get past all the enemies:p  ...the game was also crashing for me at one point... everytime I tried to pick up a sniper weapon it would give me an error and crash... I applied the all weapons cheat and the game stopped crashing... stange that... is a really neat story line though and cool ending... but like I said had to haxxor my way to end:p  ...but was still fun for me... when I have more time will try it without cheats and see how far I can get:p 
April 21, 2011 8:37:40 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!