2 simple questions!!!!!

G

Ok, heres two for you all. First, i'm installing a new Volcano2 on my new processor, is the square of compound on the bottom better or worse than radio shack cilicon heat sink compound? Which should I use??

Second, Ive got an A7M266 mobo and am experiencing video stuttering problems. Since this board has AMD northbridge and ViA southbridge, should I install the VIA 4 in 1 drivers to try to solve my problems and try to get my voodoo 5 5500 to go to 4x agp (its stuck at 2X) or are these drivers only for the complete VIA chipset?? Please help, im going to reformat/restore my system friday night to try to aleviate some of these problems.

"I WANT to love the A7M266, because in theory its a kickass board!!" quoted by ME earlier today

Its big, purple and women love it!(ATX case w/3 coats of purple Krylon and the AMD logo)

G

Thanks,

BUT, I only have the option of the square of stuff on the heatsink and the radio shack stuff right now, which one is better?

Also, Ive never seen a voodoo OCer that lets you set the command FIFO to 4X on a voodoo and im a voodoo purist. So I need to know if the 4 in 1 drivers will help in any way, ive DLed the latest 4.29, and im running Windows ME (LOVE IT!!shame on you naysayers)

Its big, purple and women love it!(ATX case w/3 coats of purple Krylon and the AMD logo)

G

Anyone else have any suggestions? Im definitley getting the Volcano2, but I need to know what heat transfer compound is better, the pink square onthe bottom or radio shack silicon thermal heatsink compound. Also, Ive installed the VIA 4 in 1, which only allowed me to install the VIA AGP VGART and machine INF drivers, it has garnered no additional performance nor got rid of my video problems. Also, ASUS has been less than forthcoming with any solutions. I cant wait for the KT266, perhaps that will solve my problems.

G

slimy compound good...solid pink square, not so good.

i don't anybody, other than an OEM, who would use the pink tampon.

skip

G

Ditto.

The Arctic Silver II compound is awesome!! It dropped me 2C! Remove the HSF pad with something blunt that will not scratch the HSF. Then use a degreaser to get off all of the residue. Clean it with Isopropol Alocohol and you should be all set.

-bumble

G

I agree. GO with some sort of thermal compound. Pads are nice for a quick fix, but they don't fill in the little cracks and areas that contact is lost. Arctic silver rocks!

The Jolly Wizened Oaf!