Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to make recovey media on ASUS windows 8 preloaded systems

Last response: in Windows 8
October 27, 2012 5:41:56 PM

I was wondering if anyone else has looked at the new windows 8 ASUS laptops and noticed that they don't seem to have any way to make a set of recovery media. All previous models allowed the user to make a set. I checked on the ASUS website and found nothing in regards to this. I tried the old F9 from boot as well as looking through the All Apps screen for a recovery program and found nothing. Has ASUS removed the recovery media option? It would be weird if they did. I can still find it on Acer/Samsung/HP/Toshiba but none on ASUS.
a b * Windows 8
October 27, 2012 5:44:53 PM

Hi :) 

Interesting but I think you will have to ask them, although there is an Asus rep who posts here.....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
December 4, 2012 7:19:07 PM

+1 - just got a N56 laptop (and finding Win 8 very slow and longwinded to navigate) and cant seem to find any way to make a recovery disk should the hdd die either. Surely not? If this IS the case its going back and will buy a make that may not make me give MS $150 down the line. I see their little deal???
m
l
Related resources
December 4, 2012 7:21:57 PM

+1 - just got a N56 laptop (and finding Win 8 very slow and longwinded to navigate) and cant seem to find any way to make a recovery disk should the hdd die either. Surely not? If this IS the case its going back and will buy a make that may not make me give MS $150 down the line. I see their little deal???
m
l
December 4, 2012 7:35:30 PM

m
l
December 4, 2012 7:56:10 PM

m
l

Best solution

December 15, 2012 2:54:04 PM

Finally figured out how to do this:

1) Go to start screen
2) type "drive recovery" in search screen - choose settings tab in search screen
3) click on "create a recovery drive"
4) Insert a 16GB drive and a way you go.
December 30, 2012 8:20:17 AM

I have an asus K56CA, and my hard drive got corrupted as my partitioning program went silly buggers and BSOD'd my laptop halfway through.

I don't know if the recoery disks are specific for each brand of laptop, but if they aren't or someone has a K56C (A) recovery disk, if they could perhaps send an .iso via email, I would be extremely grateful, forver in their debt, and I would marry them.

I would just torrent a windows 8 installation disk from somewhere, and just use the repair option (if it doesnt come with a product key im not really making M$ lose any money), but I cant find a decent torrent that isnt the pro version or in spanish :/ 

EDIT: Found a torrent getting it downlaoded now, and I'll keep you posted. If it doesnt work, the offer about the reovery disk is still up for grabs :p 

EDIT 2: Just scanning with security essentials, taking its time :/ 

EDIT 3: Oh crap, my laptop can't burn to DVD+R disks :/ 
m
l
January 12, 2013 1:57:56 AM

1) Go to start screen
2) type "drive recovery" in search screen - choose settings tab in search screen

QUESTION
I am doing that but it is taking 2 + hours and not done yet! Is this normal?
Finally got done in 3.5 hours.

I turned laptop off. turned back on. system came back up as normal.
How do you get it to boot off the flash drive first?
m
l
January 13, 2013 4:24:12 PM

myasusquestions said:

1) Go to start screen

QUESTION
I am doing that but it is taking 2 + hours and not done yet! Is this normal?
Finally got done in 3.5 hours.

I turned laptop off. turned back on. system came back up as normal.
How do you get it to boot off the flash drive first?

Here's the steps to boot from a legacy usb device:

1) Turn on system - as soon as ASUS logo appears and windows starts loading - press the power button and shut down system.

2) Turn back on system again press F2 when ASUS logo appears to get into bios

3) In bios: go to "security" tab
3A) choose "secure boot control" and select "disable"

4) In bios: go to "Boot" tab
4A) choose "launch CSM" and select "enable"

5) Save and exit bios

6) Press F2 again to go into bios

7) In bios: go to "Save and Exit" tab
7A) Choose device from "Boot override list"

Remember to reset setting once done to get Windows to load again.
m
l
January 13, 2013 4:26:07 PM

Found out with some Asus as well that you have to put them in a USB 3.0 instead of a 2.0 slot. Sometimes they won't see the USB. There might be issues with USB brand types as well.
m
l
!